So will Tiger call a penalty on himself at his OWN TOURNAMENT?

BenSeattleBenSeattle Members Posts: 538 ✭✭
If you didn't see it the first time, check out Tiger Woods' second shot on 18 in Friday's round. His ball is resting well off the fairway on sand under a palm bush or palmetto plant. Virtually no backswing is possible so he appears to smash it out by just whipping the club forward from just behind the ball. It runs probably 20 feet into a nice lie in the short rough.

HOWEVER.... replays showed that he "raked" or "carried" the ball on the clubface. In other words, there was no "hit," the ball was scraped along the ground, carried out actually on the face of the club -- a CLEAR VIOLATION OF THE RULES.

Sadly, none of the announcers immediately mentioned a possible rules violation or a penalty...., not Dan Hicks, not David Feherty. I write this only moments after the shot so there may be further developments.

The question is: will Woody call the penalty on himself. Or WILL ANYBODY?

Comments

• DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,339 ClubWRX
    What's that new movie that came out recently..."Ben Breaks the Internet?"
  • mackepamackepa #TheWRX Members Posts: 3,593 ✭✭
    edited Nov 30, 2018 #3
    Slow motion replay ruins sports. I haven’t seen the shot yet but I would imagine that raking a golf shot would be incredibly obvious.
    #TheWRX 12/11/16
    Epic Flash SZ 9* AD IZ 6
    Epic Flash SZ 15* AD IZ 8
    Apex 20* AD IZ 85
    Apex Pro 19 4-PW KBS Proto
    MD4 52s, 56s, 60x KBS $-Taper
    Toulon Austin Longneck Garage
    Jones Utility Rover
    Chromesoft X
  • the bishopthe bishop Members Posts: 3,232 ✭✭
    Even FoT (Friend of Tiger) Feherty thinks that one reeks a little. Doesn't look good.
    Dynacraft Avatar Evolution 10.5* - Proforce V2 HL - S
    Callaway X-Hot 15* - Project X something or other - R
    Maltby KE4 Tour 19*/22* - Kuro Kage Black 80hy - S
    Maltby MMB 17 - DGS300
    W/S PMP Raw 52/56/60 - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    W/S Bucktown
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,406 ✭✭
  • dropkickeddropkicked TorontoMembers Posts: 493 ✭✭
    Multiple angles shown.. rear angle shows backswing and follow through.. front shot shows the ball sticking to the face.. I'm not sure if that's a penalty..
  • ShilgyShilgy Members Posts: 11,399 ✭✭
    edited Nov 30, 2018 #7
    They are looking at it. Slowed down from in front it appears to be scraped. In full speed less so and from behind not at all.
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • IVMIVM Members Posts: 454 ✭✭
    Should be DQ .
  • BenSeattleBenSeattle Members Posts: 538 ✭✭
    Does anybody here wonder if Tiger is arguing on his own behalf? That's exactly what happened four or five years ago after the world saw a closeup shot of his ball in the gunk, a ball that clearly moved at address. Tiger fought the ruling (and the obvious) but walked away with a two-shot penalty. Many were amazed at his contrary behavior.

As I write, he's still in the scoring hut but it's clear that this wasn't a clean hit -- more of a scoop and a carry.
  • nbg352nbg352 Members Posts: 8,320 ✭✭
    Looked fine from where I was sitting....
    R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
    Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
    RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
    Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
    GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
    54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat
  • G0lfer83G0lfer83 Members Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited Nov 30, 2018 #11
    Two stroke penalty, move on.

e: No penalty, ok.
  • Krt22Krt22 Members Posts: 6,504 ✭✭
    Front on in slow mo is a bit deceiving, especially since he hit it well left with a closed face, full speed it looks like a clear stroke to me
  • Krt22Krt22 Members Posts: 6,504 ✭✭
  • MarcoMarco Members Posts: 1,714 ✭✭
    BenSeattle wrote:

Does anybody here wonder if Tiger is arguing on his own behalf? That's exactly what happened four or five years ago after the world saw a closeup shot of his ball in the gunk, a ball that clearly moved at address. Tiger fought the ruling (and the obvious) but walked away with a two-shot penalty. Many were amazed at his contrary behavior.

As I write, he's still in the scoring hut but it's clear that this wasn't a clean hit -- more of a scoop and a carry.

i hope he's arguing since the ref gave him the go for the shot
    Thought so.. no penalty.
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,406 ✭✭
    dropkicked wrote:

Thought so.. no penalty.

1aiaef.jpg
  • IH82BOGEYIH82BOGEY Members Posts: 543 ✭✭
    Not discernible to the "necked" eye????
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,339 ClubWRX
    IH82BOGEY wrote:

Is that in effect now?
  • legitimategolflegitimategolf Golf hard New York NYMembers Posts: 4,630 ✭✭
    IH82BOGEY wrote:

Correct spelling is "nekkid", I think.
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,918 ✭✭
    So if I’m hearing it correctly a newer “ if you can’t see it with the necked eye “ statute saved him from a penalty? Seems plausible.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    TM Tour M5 19.8 * Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX  
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
    they mentioned the specific rule.. 18, something, something.. official stated it stuck on the face for too long when they viewed it in super hi-def, slo-mo.. but also that Tiger would've never known or felt it.
  • LottaoutsLottaouts Members Posts: 125
    edited Nov 30, 2018 #22
    If it was SICJAM, the officials would have quickly DQed him because he is a known cheater at golf and life. As for Tiger...well, it is his tournament.
    Woody got lucky with this one but I'll agree that the ruling is correct. He couldn't feel the double hit or "scoop" and since such a violation COULD ONLY BE DETERMINED with the aid of High-Def and slow-motion (that's an addition to the rule only about two years old) then there's no penalty. If he HAD felt something off in the stroke -- as we all do with most double hits -- then it would be his responsibility to call a penalty on himself.
    Lottaouts wrote:

If it was SICJAM, the officials would have quickly DQed him because he is a known cheater at golf and life. As for Tiger...well, it is his tournament.

Sorry... we all know who "FIGJAM" is.... but who's this SICJAM of which you speak?
  • bucky316bucky316 Members Posts: 789 ✭✭
    no surprise that Cheetah didn't call a rules infraction on himself....he's no Bobby Jones!
  • llewol007llewol007 4KidsGolfer ClubWRX Posts: 3,357 ClubWRX
    Not sure about that one. Even if you slow motion play a swing it will look like that. Just because he has a short back swing, it will look as if he pushed it but if I were a rules official and intent is in play, then his intent was to put a forward swing on the ball and not push the ball forward.
    Cobra F8 9* Aldila Rogue 60 3.0 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 14.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.3 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 17.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.6 X Stiff
    Cobra MB/CB 4-PW DG AMT S300 Black HHx1
    Cobra MB 50/54/60 DG AMT S300 Black HHx1
    Taylor Made Ghost Long Hosel DA22
    Vice Pro +
  • golfnoob25golfnoob25 Members Posts: 340 ✭✭
  • jdljdl Masshole MassMembers Posts: 1,690 ✭✭
  • mikpgamikpga www.mikedeitersgolf.com Members Posts: 7,368 ✭✭
    Stop the insanity...
  • DFS PFDDFS PFD Members Posts: 877 ✭✭
    This is ridiculous. How can he generate enough speed in that short of a space to have the ball not appear to "stick" to the face unintentionally. The club speed and ball speed were probably close to identical, nothing he could do.
    TC Rogue SZ 8.8* Pro Orange 70TX/ ACCRA TZ5 75 M5
    M2 Tour 15* Kuro Kage DC 70TX
    790 UDI Tensei Pro White 100TX
    4-PW Apex Pro 19 DG X7's
    50* MG Raw Tour issue S400
    55* MG Raw Tour issue S400
    60* Hi-Toe Tour Issue S400
    J-DAY Spider
  • the bishopthe bishop Members Posts: 3,232 ✭✭
    "Winter rules"
    Dynacraft Avatar Evolution 10.5* - Proforce V2 HL - S
    Callaway X-Hot 15* - Project X something or other - R