So will Tiger call a penalty on himself at his OWN TOURNAMENT?

Comments

• BenSeattleBenSeattle Posts: 531 ✭✭
    golfnoob25 wrote:

Video?

I don't have it... perhaps someone else does. If all else fails, Golf Channel replays the entire round later today. Set that DVR!
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,099 ✭✭
    golfnoob25 wrote:

Video?

• gmoneygmoney Members Posts: 376 ✭✭
    wow... that doesn't look good.... image/busted_cop.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':busted_cop:' />
  • Steele47Steele47 Members Posts: 1,239 ✭✭
    Maybe the Great One will weigh in.
  • BMCBMC Members Posts: 3,522 ✭✭
    Sweet jai alai move Tiger.
    PING OG Rapture 9*
    Cobra Baffler Pro 18* hybrid
    Cleveland CG2 irons 3-p
    Bridgestone Wedges 52/56
    Odyssey #1WS
  • jdljdl Masshole MassMembers Posts: 1,667 ✭✭
    bscinstnct wrote:

golfnoob25 wrote:

Video?

[media=]

Surprised a guy with bad ankles can even make contact on that kind of shot.
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,219 ClubWRX
    He can get the leaves outta my front yard with that move.
  • IVMIVM Posts: 454 ✭✭
    He should have done ......
  • BrockPSUBrockPSU Members Posts: 243 ✭✭
    Lol that one angle looks like an attempt, the other one looks like he is moving the ball through the sand. I can't stop laughing.
    TS3 10.5 AD DI 6x
    TS2 16.5 AD DI 8x
    716 T-MB 3 AD DI Hybrid 95x
    716 T-MB 4 Project x 6.5
    716 CB 5-6 Project x 6.5
    716 MB 7-PW Project x 6.5
    SM6 46 F Grind Project x 6.0(in rotation)
    SM7 50 F Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 L Grind Project x 6.0
    Scotty Cameron Tour Rat R&D Proto Concept 1
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    edited Nov 30, 2018 #41
    That’s just how he compresses it.

#lag

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • IH82BOGEYIH82BOGEY Posts: 543 ✭✭
    Got to wonder if they would have called a penalty on him if he had actually hand -grenaded it out of the bushes.
  • Krt22Krt22 Members Posts: 6,152 ✭✭
    DavePelz4 wrote:

He can get the leaves outta my front yard with that move.

California could have used his help to prevent wild fires
  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 826 ✭✭
    Geez Tiger, it's the Hero Challenge not Augusta. Just take an unplayable and proceed.
  • Steele47Steele47 Members Posts: 1,239 ✭✭
    wildcatden wrote:

Geez Tiger, it's the Hero Challenge not Augusta. Just take an unplayable and proceed.

Perhaps this was a test run in prep for Augusta.
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,099 ✭✭
    Steele47 wrote:

wildcatden wrote:

Perhaps this was a test run in prep for Augusta.

Gusta be like

1qlq61.gif
  • golfandfishinggolfandfishing Members Posts: 3,388 ✭✭
    Not the first time he’s been cavalier with the rules. Any 10 handicap can feel it when they double hit a chip, no way Tiger Woods couldn’t feel that.
  • tgreenwood11tgreenwood11 Bye bye yips in 2015 Posts: 482
    definite scoopage. definite cheating.
  • ShilgyShilgy Members Posts: 11,297 ✭✭

Not the first time he's been cavalier with the rules. Any 10 handicap can feel it when they double hit a chip, no way Tiger Woods couldn't feel that.
    Even the guy that coined the "cavalier" line says it was okay per the rules. Which just like in the Senden ruling people are posting what they think should happen rather than playing by the rules.
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • nbg352nbg352 Members Posts: 8,320 ✭✭

Not the first time he’s been cavalier with the rules. Any 10 handicap can feel it when they double hit a chip, no way Tiger Woods couldn’t feel that.

Not according to the authority that said he would NOT have felt it......
    R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
    Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
    RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
    Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
    GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
    54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat
  • Krt22Krt22 Members Posts: 6,152 ✭✭
    edited Nov 30, 2018 #51

Not the first time he's been cavalier with the rules. Any 10 handicap can feel it when they double hit a chip, no way Tiger Woods couldn't feel that.
    From the rough, standard chip, mega decel in to the ball..sure

Under a bush in a dodgey lie with a whacky swing, I doubt it.
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Members Posts: 2,084 ClubWRX
    nbg352 wrote:

Not according to the authority that said he would NOT have felt it......

That was an incredibly stupid thing to say on the part of the rules official that supposedly said that.
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Titleist Pro V 1x
  • Pleasedwith3puttsPleasedwith3putts Members Posts: 1,712 ✭✭
    Well that's a precedent another pro is going to point to at some time and not in a positive way.

Anyone who has played the game knows that with such a long follow through after such a short backswing it's hockey time and the direction the ball comes out only confirms that. You just can't move the ball 10ft or so with such a short backswing and a single hit.

Reminds me of one of my favourite golf tips from years ago - if you are struggling to extend through the ball with release then address the ball with the club immediately behind it then try to propel it as far as you can with no backswing. Once you try that drill you'll understand the power of a scoop release!
  • golfandfishinggolfandfishing Members Posts: 3,388 ✭✭
    Shilgy wrote:

Even the guy that coined the "cavalier" line says it was okay per the rules. Which just like in the Senden ruling people are posting what they think should happen rather than playing by the rules.

Weird situation where the no penalty is certainly the right application of the rules based on what can be seen, as we cannot see what TW feels. We have to take his word that he didn’t feel it, and he has a long history of not being forthcoming with the truth. Resembles a WWF match where the ref is distracted by someone outside the ring while the Iron Shiek pummels Jake the Snake with a chair. Can’t see it, player won’t own up to it - no penalty. It’s the correct ruling based on what is on video, but to think the greatest (or second) player of all time can’t tell if he hit a ball 2x is ridiculous. Just another instance of TW playing us all for fools.
  • BenSeattle wrote:

Lottaouts wrote:

If it was SICJAM, the officials would have quickly DQed him because he is a known cheater at golf and life. As for Tiger...well, it is his tournament.

Sorry... we all know who "FIGJAM" is.... but who's this SICJAM of which you speak?

FIGJAM's new moniker, since he is not Good anymore... Sure I Cheat, Just Ask Me.
  • BenSeattleBenSeattle Posts: 531 ✭✭
    It was a rule change that saved Tiger this time around. No, I don't think he intentionally tried to circumvent the rule by playing hockey from the bush; sure, he scraped it out with a no-backswing-forward-shove that -- at the very least -- resulted in a double hit, one that... in my eyes … even Tiger would be hard-pressed to detect. Watching live, I didn't see or hear the shove/scoop/carry but it became clear in replays that's EXACTLY what happened. Ah, but that's where the new rule involving HD TV came in. Without going to the trouble of actually poring over the rule book, the recent update says that if a player can't detect it and it can't be observed with the naked eye -- only with hi-def's modern technology -- then there's no penalty. Weird, huh? BECAUSE A VIOLATION CLEARLY HAPPENED. It's just no longer going to cost a player strokes.

Oh yeah... you want another example of a high-profile golfer getting off Scott-free because of a change? Read up on how Phil Mickelson could very well be behind bars today except for a gap in a law that let him escape a conviction for Insider Trading:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/phils-insider-trading-escape

That was an incredibly stupid thing to say on the part of the rules official that supposedly said that.

Why is it stupid?
  • ShilgyShilgy Members Posts: 11,297 ✭✭
    BenSeattle wrote:

It was a rule change that saved Tiger this time around. No, I don't think he intentionally tried to circumvent the rule by playing hockey from the bush; sure, he scraped it out with a no-backswing-forward-shove that -- at the very least -- resulted in a double hit, one that... in my eyes … even Tiger would be hard-pressed to detect. Watching live, I didn't see or hear the shove/scoop/carry but it became clear in replays that's EXACTLY what happened. Ah, but that's where the new rule involving HD TV came in. Without going to the trouble of actually poring over the rule book, the recent update says that if a player can't detect it and it can't be observed with the naked eye -- only with hi-def's modern technology -- then there's no penalty. Weird, huh? BECAUSE A VIOLATION CLEARLY HAPPENED. It's just no longer going to cost a player strokes.

Oh yeah... you want another example of a high-profile golfer getting off Scott-free because of a change? Read up on how Phil Mickelson could very well be behind bars today except for a gap in a law that let him escape a conviction for Insider Trading:

https://www.golfdige...-trading-escape
    I would say it was clear in the one replay-not replays. Just the one from in front in slow motion did it look wonky. I thought the backswing was plenty long to hit the ball 20 feet.

Shilgy wrote:

Weird situation where the no penalty is certainly the right application of the rules based on what can be seen, as we cannot see what TW feels. We have to take his word that he didn't feel it, and he has a long history of not being forthcoming with the truth. Resembles a WWF match where the ref is distracted by someone outside the ring while the Iron Shiek pummels Jake the Snake with a chair. Can't see it, player won't own up to it - no penalty. It's the correct ruling based on what is on video, but to think the greatest (or second) player of all time can't tell if he hit a ball 2x is ridiculous. Just another instance of TW playing us all for fools.
    What is the "long history" you speak of? The Masters where he kept the wrong entry point in mind? The event with Wittenberg where he went by Casey's(his playing partner) pov? The ball that settled that would likely have been no penalty with the new HD rule? The boulder that was a moveable object with help and clearly by the rules?

Is that a long history for the guy whose every move is more scrutinized and televised than any other player?
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
    edited Nov 30, 2018 #59
    Shilgy wrote:

BenSeattle wrote:

[url="https://www.golfdigest.com/story/phils-insider-trading-escape"]https://www.golfdige...-trading-escape[/url]
    I would say it was clear in the one replay-not replays. Just the one from in front in slow motion did it look wonky. I thought the backswing was plenty long to hit the ball 20 feet.

Shilgy wrote:

Weird situation where the no penalty is certainly the right application of the rules based on what can be seen, as we cannot see what TW feels. We have to take his word that he didn't feel it, and he has a long history of not being forthcoming with the truth. Resembles a WWF match where the ref is distracted by someone outside the ring while the Iron Shiek pummels Jake the Snake with a chair. Can't see it, player won't own up to it - no penalty. It's the correct ruling based on what is on video, but to think the greatest (or second) player of all time can't tell if he hit a ball 2x is ridiculous. Just another instance of TW playing us all for fools.
    What is the "long history" you speak of? The Masters where he kept the wrong entry point in mind? The event with Wittenberg where he went by Casey's(his playing partner) pov? The ball that settled that would likely have been no penalty with the new HD rule? The boulder that was a moveable object with help and clearly by the rules?

Is that a long history for the guy whose every move is more scrutinized and televised than any other player?

They don't want the truth Shilg. They will attack Woods regardless. It's what they do.....

• daleheaddalehead Members Posts: 1,441 ✭✭
    So let me get this straight. Rules officials are no longer going to use slow motion replay to review possible rules infractions? The new standard is ask the player and if he doesn't realize he goofed up there is no penalty?
    dalehead wrote:

So let me get this straight. Rules officials are no longer going to use slow motion replay to review possible rules infractions? The new standard is ask the player and if he doesn't realize he goofed up there is no penalty?

Yep. If it can't be seen with the naked eye then all is good.

And that is exactly how it should be.