LPGA Off Season

Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 19,946 ✭✭
'Figured I'd create a thread as a general dumping ground for any tidbits that come up during the two months of down time.

I'm going to go crazy with no LPGA for two months. I still have the final rounds of the International Crown, KEB Hana Bank, and Buick on my DVR, so I'll have something to watch during the stretch.

The KLPGA season starts 12/7, so there will be some live golf available on the web.

Comments

• 18majors18majors Members Posts: 467 ✭✭
    edited Nov 30, 2018 #2
    The inaugural 2019 Diamond Resorts Tournament of Champions Presented by Insurance Office of America, Jan. 17-20, 2019 can't come soon enough.

It's an important period for Yealimi Noh, who hasn't yet signed an agent or turned pro.

A Yean Cho, who finished first individually at 2018 Women's Amateur Team Championship in Ireland and first in 2018 KLPGA Q-School, will start her first KLPGA tournament as a member December 7-9, 2018.

It's probably a forgone conclusion that Jeong Eun Lee 6, or Lucky 6, will win 2019 Louise Suggs Rookie of the Year award. But like 2018, serious competition will come from Anne van Dam, who finished 2018 second to Georgia Hall on LET order of merit. van Dam is long, her driving distance averaged 282.53 yards.
  • ChronicSlicerChronicSlicer Members Posts: 909 ✭✭
    Although the music is terrible(sorry), I can see why golf is so popular in Korea. Looks to be pretty cold, and all I see are smiles everywhere. Good for them knowing how to have a good time.

https://www.instagram.com/golf.champstrophy/
  • fredogolferfredogolfer Posts: 195 ✭✭
    edited Nov 30, 2018 #4
    Should anyone wish to kill some time, there is a K-Drama (Korean Soap Opera) about a girl from a working class family who tries to make it on the KLPGA. It is on youtube and all 20 or so episodes are available with subtitles. The name of the series is birdie buddy. Of course, it's like 90% drama and 10% golf but nevertheless a way to pass the time related to ladies golf.
  • Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 19,946 ✭✭

Should anyone wish to kill some time, there is a K-Drama (Korean Soap Opera) about a girl from a working class family who tries to make it on the KLPGA. It is on youtube and all 20 or so episodes are available with subtitles. The name of the series is birdie buddy. Of course, it's like 90% drama and 10% golf but nevertheless a way to pass the time related to ladies golf.

Didn't Soo Jing Yang make a guest appearance in an episode that involved a long drive competition?
    Argonne69 wrote:

Didn't Soo Jing Yang make a guest appearance in an episode that involved a long drive competition?

Not sure that it was her specifically but there are a couple of episodes that have the characters competing in tournaments. I assume the other players could be actual golfers. In one episode, the protagonist competes at KLPGA Q-School. In another episode, the antagonist competes in matchplay against the supposed best LPGA golfer at an exhibition to promote a resort in Korea. I do remember something about a long-drive competition toward the middle-end of the series. I'm not going to say the acting is always the best, the storyline always the strongest but it's interesting to see that a mainstream series was produced in Korea with participation from the KLPGA. KLPGA banners and logos make frequent appearances in the series. I can't imagine anything close could come out in the US. Who knows, maybe netflix, Hulu or Prime could see the potential interest in this even among non-golfers, if they got the right personalities in there or if they did it more as a reality series. I think currently, there isn't one star that could carry a series. Maybe Ariya, Lexi and Brooke as a reality series with one of the moms and veterans like Lorie Kane, Laura Davies or Juli Inkster.

About 8 years ago, it would have been interesting to follow Lorena, Yani and Ai Miyazato simultaneouly as they were doing well along with Creamer or Gulbis or another up and comer. Does anyone know how much attention Ariya gets in Thailand? Do people go crazy for her like they did for Yani in Taiwan or Lorena in Mexico. I remember for Lorena there would be 25,000 or more people at the course on a Sunday in Mexico for a final round on a couple of occasions. That was approaching PGA Tour numbers.
  • I_HATE_SNOWI_HATE_SNOW Members Posts: 3,228 ✭✭
    It will be much better now that the caddies can't help them line up.
    Lexi is playing this week in the QBE Shootout at Tiburon GC. She's partnered with Tony Finau again. Last year they finished a very respectable 4T.
    As we await the schedule, one thing the commissioner said years ago was that he wanted to eventually get to the point where the schedule was just sent out in an email or a news release. The one constant it seems is tournaments fall off and are added pretty regularly and the schedule is released about a month before the new season starts. I guess purse size and stability remain a big issue. 2019 will also bring tv/broadcast rights. The media landscape is much different now than when the commissioner started.
    Lexi is definitely holding her own at the QBE. Hopefully she and Tony can improve on their finish from last year.

I'm sure some of you saw that Mel Reid came out as a **** a few days ago. I was surprised she came out because it was pretty clear from Social media she had a girlfriend. She's certainly not the only current LPGA player who is a ****. Multiple players have long-term relationships with women that are pretty public on social media.
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Members Posts: 2,084 ClubWRX
    ^^ Hopefully it frees her up mentally and she can do well, seems a bit of an under achiever in some ways.

I don't think many would be surprised by the news so it wasn't a big deal as far as I'm concerned but I'm sure it was for her so good luck to her.
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Titleist Pro V 1x
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,060 ✭✭
    Not sure why it’s a big deal. Good for her but not sure it’s life changing for anyone.
    GoGoErky wrote:

Not sure why it’s a big deal. Good for her but not sure it’s life changing for anyone.

Exactly, got a fair amount of media coverage but it wasn't really a secret for people who follow her.

GoGoErky wrote:

Exactly, got a fair amount of media coverage but it wasn't really a secret for people who follow her.

And in today’s world it’s not as big a deal when an athlete or celeb comes out. Not to sounds insensitive but I never really understood the coverage someone famous gets for coming out. You live your life, I live mine and we all go about our daily lives.
  • sheppy335sheppy335 TMAG Junkie Members Posts: 6,341 ✭✭
    I think it is fine, media is blowing it up. Your right if you follow social media you could figure it out. I liked her before and will continue to like her.
    TM M3 440 TP 10 Mitsubishi Kai'li
    TM M2 Tour 15 Kuro Kage
    TM M1 Tour 18 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
    TM TP UDI 2 iron 18 UST Recoil 110
    TM TP UDI 3 iron 20 Paderson KINETXX 950
    TM RSi TP UDI 4 iron 23 Aldila Trinity 65
    TM P790 6,7 Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM P790 Black 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM xFT TP 50 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Milled Grind Black Wedge 54 Nippon Pro Black WV115
    TM ATV HP 58 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

I drop the 2 iron or one of the other UDI's based on course.
  • DpavsDpavs OverWRX'ed Members Posts: 3,314 ✭✭
    Argonne69 wrote:

Yep, it was something I pointed out in another thread Argonne!
    GoGoErky wrote:

Not to sounds insensitive but I never really understood the coverage someone famous gets for coming out. You live your life, I live mine and we all go about our daily lives.

I never understood the coverage someone famous gets in general...whatever the "headlines" may be.

GoGoErky wrote:

Not to sounds insensitive but I never really understood the coverage someone famous gets for coming out. You live your life, I live mine and we all go about our daily lives.

I never understood the coverage someone famous gets in general...whatever the "headlines" may be.

True.
    Anna Nordqvist got engaged to Kevin McAlpine.

I wonder when Stacy and Suzann will return to the tour.
  • mallratmallrat Members Posts: 2,869 ✭✭
    From Allison’s (sp?) IG she looks to be working hard after regaining her card via Q school

(Sarcasm)
  • ClairefromClareClairefromClare Posts: 414 ✭✭
    Between Gerina, Suzann, Stacy, and a few others, this could turn into a baby picture thread. I'm just hopelessly incompetent at uploading photos.

Between Gerina, Suzann, Stacy, and a few others, this could turn into a baby picture thread. I'm just hopelessly incompetent at uploading photos.

You're right Gerina, Suzann, Stacy, Karine Icher, Cristie had another one not too long ago. Who else? I feel like I'm missing an American who goes between the LPGA and Symetra Tours.

Margarita Ramos from the Symetra Tour is about 4 months along.
  • Seamus_McDuffSeamus_McDuff ChicagoMembers Posts: 895 ✭✭

You're right Gerina, Suzann, Stacy, Karine Icher, Cristie had another one not too long ago. Who else? I feel like I'm missing an American who goes between the LPGA and Symetra Tours.

Ekey?

Michaels?

Pancake?

Rohanna?
    Did all 4 of them have kids?

Ekey?

Michaels?

Pancake?

Rohanna?

Shanshan still pregnant right?
  • Chris122Chris122 Banned Posts: 611 ✭✭
    Am enjoying replays of Japan LPGA tournaments on YouTube,not as good as regular LPGA but some beautiful courses,charming players,respectful galleries and the 'caw-caw' of rooks or crows in the background.

The Japanese commentary also guarantees a smile with excitement at a near miss for birdie-putto!
  • hebsanhebsan Posts: 839 ✭✭
    Hee Young Park got married a few weeks ago.
    hebsan wrote:

Hee Young Park got married a few weeks ago.

46303521_2124737660880854_3319683780005653319_n2.jpg 46660993_333657730746218_2550056384817812318_n2.jpg
  • scottc25scottc25 Members Posts: 629 ✭✭
    Someone horked Danielle Kang's car and clubs. Car was found, the clubs, not so much.
  • Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX ClubWRX, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,841 ClubWRX
    scottc25 wrote:

Someone horked Danielle Kang's car and clubs. Car was found, the clubs, not so much.

Man, that sucks.
    PING G400 LS 9* - Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6X
    Callaway Epic 15* - Diamana S+ 70X
    Titleist T-MB 3 Iron - Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 9.8 Tour Spec
    Srixon 785 4-P - Nippon Pro Modus 120
    Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
    Yes! Jenny Tour
    Titleist Pro V1 Yellow