Toulon calls out Scotty for copying

Comments

• toctoc Members Posts: 2,710 ✭✭
    Sean Toulon is mankind’s single greatest contribution to the recorded history of this planet.
    Glove: ML
    Tees: 2 3/4
    Towel: white
    Repair tool: metal
    Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
    Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying
  • Golfer4LifeGolfer4Life Bob Parsons Bodyguard, Chump! ClubWRX Posts: 2,152
    Arpeggi wrote:

Toulon is a nobody.

Lifetime ban for lack of industry knowledge.

Jk, but seriously?
    PXG Derangement Syndrome, it is real.......<br /><br />Equipment:<br /><br />A bag full of PXG’s<br />Non Titleist Welded Neck 35/330g SC 009<br /><br />“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”
  • dcmidnightdcmidnight Marshals, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 11,530 mod
    Arpeggi wrote:

Toulon is a nobody.

I've been a mod here for ~12 years.

And this is literally - and I think I used that word correctly here - the most ludicrous thing I've ever read.

Not only is he one of the most knowledgeable guys in the industry but he also happens to be a really great dude to just hang out with and talk shop.
    M3 12* - AD-DI6x Black
    M4 3W - AD-DI6s Black
    Epic 3h - GD Tour ADs / Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95 s
    M3 5h - Atmos Red s
    TM M5 6-AW Steelfiber 95 s
    TM Milled Grind 54* / Hi Toe 60*
    Cure CX2 35" / TM TP5
  • pgagreg1pgagreg1 Members Posts: 668 ✭✭
    They say all publicity is good. Good for Sean and good for Scotty.

People have been hating on Scotty for a long time and he just keeps rolling along.

I guess he doesn't need any internet trolls approval to do what he does.
  • FadeFade Members Posts: 1,120 ✭✭
    Jeez, it is only a putter cover, albeit a fancy one. Who invented fancy putter covers?
  • doublehansdoublehans Posts: 641 ✭✭
    edited Dec 3, 2018 #67

The Gulf racing livery (that specific orange and blue) has been used in hundreds (if not thousands) of applications in the decades since it was first seen in the 1960s. If Scotty is guilty of "copying" anything, then so is Toulon.

What a joke.

That's the funny part. That Gulf design has been around for a long time, so Toulon is supposed to be original just because he incorporated it into a putter/cover before Scotty did? I'd agree with whoever said this was probably a lazy idea for Scotty, but if you want to call Scotty out for copying, geez, don't pick out something that wasn't very original to begin with.
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,056 ✭✭
    doublehans wrote:

The Gulf racing livery (that specific orange and blue) has been used in hundreds (if not thousands) of applications in the decades since it was first seen in the 1960s. If Scotty is guilty of "copying" anything, then so is Toulon.

What a joke.

That's the funny part. That Gulf design has been around for a long time, so Toulon is supposed to be original just because he incorporated it into a putter/cover before Scotty did? I'd agree with whoever said this was probably a lazy idea for Scotty, but if you want to call Scotty out for copying, geez, don't pick out something that wasn't very original to begin with.

For me it’s another notch in the belt of the arrogance that Callaway/Odysey and now toulon demonstrates on social media that pushes me further away from the brand. Titleist gets/has a rep for being elitist and numerous other synonyms but the group at Callaway exemplifies it constantly on social
  • PALS-SSAPALS-SSA Posts: 279 ✭✭
    Wait a minute. Scotty copied somebody?

Gee, I'm SHOCKED!
    edited Dec 3, 2018 #70
    pgagreg1 wrote:

People have been hating on Scotty for a long time and he just keeps rolling along.

Oh yes, the good ol' internet troll argument. Nice try and very classy commentary.

Cameron gets the comments he gets because of his own doing.
    PXG Derangement Syndrome, it is real.......<br /><br />Equipment:<br /><br />A bag full of PXG’s<br />Non Titleist Welded Neck 35/330g SC 009<br /><br />“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”
  • jaw2k9jaw2k9 Posts: 347 ✭✭
    Perhaps Toulon can start making headcovers with dancing things on them (4 or 5 is it?) pointed crowns for example - and see what the response is.
  • MeanmachinemoeMeanmachinemoe Members Posts: 1,305 ✭✭
    deep18 wrote:

Not defending Scotty (or anyone else) but especially in putters, everyone copies everyone else. Yes there are a few examples of a groundbreaking design (like when the 2 ball came out) but for the most part, everyone is just tweaking everyone else&#146;s ideas and around and around we go.

Even the 2 ball was "inspired" by Dave Pelz 3 ball putter.

The 2-ball was Pelz's baby too. I know for a fact. He sold the concept to Odyssey.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 460 10.5* Fujikura Pro XLR8 56
    Ping G410 17* Alta CB 70 Red
    Ping G410 19* Alta CB 70 Red
    Ping G400 4-UW,SW AWT 2.0
    Ping Glide 2.0 58 WS AWT 2.0
    Odyssey Exo Stroke Lab 7s Mini
    GHIN 8.3
  • 4rheel4rheel OC, CaliforniaMembers Posts: 1,782 ✭✭
    Not a scotty fanboy but nothing is more blatant than the Columbus/Notchback. Lol

31dTlGfGa4L.jpg

61vZfu6%2BYbL._SX425_.jpg
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,591 ✭✭
    Karsten is one under appreciated dude in the history of golf design
    Ping G400 LST 11* Mitsu TI BB Matte 53x
    Callaway GBB 3w 14* Mitsu Blueboard 63x
    Ping G400 5w 17* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Callaway V-series Hwood Fuji TS 8.2s
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fujikura 904HBs
    Ping Rapture 5-PW Aldila NV MLTi Pro105x
    Ping iWedge 50* Aldila NV 105x
    Ping Glide SS 53* & ES 59* Wrx SF125s
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • Scotty1140Scotty1140 Members Posts: 4,404 ✭✭
    edited Dec 3, 2018 #75
    cardoustie wrote:

Karsten is one under appreciated dude in the history of golf design

Really?

If someone so much as calls something ‘Newport style’ or another name other than the Anser they get an instant, stern history lesson from the next poster. God forbid you use anything other than the absolutely original head shape name to describe a putter around here. I love old Ping putters, have many but I feel like Karsten gets his due regularly around the putter world.

I’d say TP Mills is much more under appreciated than Karsten.

EDIT: In the “under appreciated” file, check out old Kirk Currie putters. Ahead of their time in many ways. Lots of modern putters features like sole plates and face milling, etc. can be found in those KC and Slazenger lines.
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Members Posts: 1,142 ✭✭
    Are we talking about a head cover lookalike? Come on, brahs.

Toulon makes great stuff. Else does Scotty C. But this is a head cover...
  • BrockPSUBrockPSU Members Posts: 243 ✭✭
    Lets be honest, how many designs can you actually come up with in a putter? Were not talking cars here, were talking putters. And even then car companies copy each other. Actually every company that has a competitor copies the other to stay up to date and competitive.
    TS3 10.5 AD DI 6x
    TS2 16.5 AD DI 8x
    716 T-MB 3 AD DI Hybrid 95x
    716 T-MB 4 Project x 6.5
    716 CB 5-6 Project x 6.5
    716 MB 7-PW Project x 6.5
    SM6 46 F Grind Project x 6.0(in rotation)
    SM7 50 F Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 L Grind Project x 6.0
    Scotty Cameron Tour Rat R&D Proto Concept 1
    I think the problem is Mr. Cameron never gives credit where and when credit is due. There are all his "original ideas" and people call his bullshtein, that's all.
  • cmrl1986cmrl1986 Members Posts: 2,354
    Scotty hasn't made a good putter since the Buttonback in my opinion. Every one of his "original" designs have been horrible, including his latest "Concept X". He's made a living on making copies of other people's designs, tweaking them minimally, then slapping his name on them with a huge mark up. I Don't think they're worth what they go for from a build perspective, but people will pay just too see 3 cherry bombs and his name stamped on it.
    PING G400 LST 8.5 w/Fujikura Rombax Type X stiff
    Mizuno ST190 w/Tensei Blue 70 stiff
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 iron w/DG 120 stiff
    Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-pw w/DG 120 stiff
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Blackout 50/54/62 w/s400 onyx

**Putter Rotation**
    Bettinardi Inovai Armlock 395g
    Byron DH89 Custom Carbon Blue Oil 350g
    Piretti Tour Proto 340g
  • KaBoom21KaBoom21 Members Posts: 1,570
    Timmy?
  • Misc1600Misc1600 ClubWRX Posts: 902 ClubWRX
    Naming your putters after cities is not the same thing?
  • SoCalTitleistSoCalTitleist Members Posts: 3,255 ✭✭
    Misc1600 wrote:

Lol. Nice catch!
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,056 ✭✭
    Misc1600 wrote:

Good point.
  • bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro ClubWRX Posts: 3,170 ClubWRX
    Misc1600 wrote:

For real! I’ve been saying it for years.
    Taylormade M1 (2017) 440 9.5* tour w/Atmos Black TS 6x<br />Taylormade M6 Rocket 3 w/Atmos Black 7s<br />Taylormade p790 4-pw <br />Vokey 50f/56m/60m wedges <br />Taylormade Spider Mallet 72
  • pgagreg1pgagreg1 Members Posts: 668 ✭✭

pgagreg1 wrote:

Oh yes, the good ol' internet troll argument. Nice try and very classy commentary.

Hello old Friend

Scotty has always acknowledged TP Mills and Karsten was inspiration for much of what he did.

But it is never enough for some people, they will always hate. They will have stories of how Scotty has wronged them or their friends.

Every story has 2 sides and people will choose to believe what they want.

Some people call Scotty Xexor as if it is some kind of derogatory name. The name comes from Scottys early names on tour. In the late 80's and early 90's cast Ping putters dominated to PGA tour.

Scotty was out there trying to get players to try milled carbon steel putter heads. Many people believe the carbon steel has a more consistent feel and performance when compared to cast. Owing to the fact that cast putter heads sometimes contain air pockets that effect feel and performance. Tour players would give their cast gamer to Scotty and ask him to copy the putter in the new milled carbon steel he was pushing. The nickname Mr. Xerox came from the players on the PGA tour. I don't know how he personally feels about the nickname.

As to the headcover if you look at it you can see there are differences if you want to. If you look at the world through colored glasses it is a GD exact duplicate. How dare he. image/pimp.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':pimp:' />
  • WarrickWarrick ClubWRX Posts: 10,229 ClubWRX
    LOL
    F9 9* Atmos Black TS7
    F9 Tour 3w\13.5 - Smoke 75
    F9 Tour 5w\17.5- Smoke 75
    Epic hybrid - 22* Pro White 90
    Mizuno 919 combo 5-P - PX LZ 6.0
    Mizuno T7 - 48-53-58 - PX LZ 6.5
    Custom V-Line Fang
    TM TP5X
    edited Dec 4, 2018 #87
    pgagreg1 wrote:

pgagreg1 wrote:

Hello old Friend

Scotty has always acknowledged TP Mills and Karsten was inspiration for much of what he did.

But it is never enough for some people, they will always hate. They will have stories of how Scotty has wronged them or their friends.

Every story has 2 sides and people will choose to believe what they want.

Some people call Scotty Xexor as if it is some kind of derogatory name. The name comes from Scottys early names on tour. In the late 80's and early 90's cast Ping putters dominated to PGA tour.

Scotty was out there trying to get players to try milled carbon steel putter heads. Many people believe the carbon steel has a more consistent feel and performance when compared to cast. Owing to the fact that cast putter heads sometimes contain air pockets that effect feel and performance. Tour players would give their cast gamer to Scotty and ask him to copy the putter in the new milled carbon steel he was pushing. The nickname Mr. Xerox came from the players on the PGA tour. I don't know how he personally feels about the nickname.

As to the headcover if you look at it you can see there are differences if you want to. If you look at the world through colored glasses it is a GD exact duplicate. How dare he. image/pimp.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':pimp:' />

I understand your explanation and at least it’s better than the “trolling” argument. What I believe about Mr. Cameron is based on my own experience, which it was relatively substantial in relation to collecting and buying into the whole thing. I saw and experienced many things that left a bad taste in my mouth and really dropped him from the pedestal I had him on.

Disappointment is even too light to described how I felt back then. But life goes on and my opinion of him and his practices will never change. He’ll continue to do what he does and that’s about it, he doesn’t care what anybody thinks.
  • dxdgenertdxdgenert Dirtiest player in the game MinnesotaMembers Posts: 1,532 ✭✭
    edited Dec 5, 2018 #88
    cxx wrote:

There have been very few original designs that worked since the ping designs. Most successful new designs gained popularity through performance in the hands of PGA tour pros. The #7 with the horns on the back and that taylormade spider come to mind. Not even sure who gets the credit for those?

LOL, literally, Sean Toulon. He was Executive VP of product creation during the Spider design. So it looks like he knows a thing or two about design innovation. Not to mention all of the other “classics” he’s worked on during his TMaG Days.
    PING G400 MAX w/ Alta CB
    Cobra KING F7 fairway w/ Fujikura Pro 65
    Cobra KING F7 hybrid w/ Fujikura Pro 75H
    Wilson Staff FG Tour V4 Utility 4 Iron
    Wilson Staff FG Tour V4 5-GW
    Wilson Staff FG Tour PMP Blue Tour Grind 56* and 60*
    One of several milled putters
  • dommerdommer Banned Posts: 101
    Scotty has hit a new low, surprising because I didn’t think his designs could get much worse.
    Driver: Taylormade M4 7* / EvenFlow Black 65 6.0
    Fairway: Callaway Epic 14* / Nippon 950 FW X
    3 Iron: Callaway X-Forged UT 21* / Constant CPM
    5-PW: Mizuno MP18 / Constant CPM
    48, 54: Wilson FG Tour PMP / Constant CPM
    60, 66: Callaway MD PM / Constant CPM
    Putter: Swag Handsome One "Tour Proto"
    Ball: TP5X
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Members Posts: 1,142 ✭✭
    dommer wrote:

Scotty has hit a new low, surprising because I didn’t think his designs could get much worse.

Guy...it’s a head cover...
  • MarkFromTheUKMarkFromTheUK Members Posts: 4,639 ✭✭
    Is it too late to get my popcorn?
    PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
    PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
    PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
    PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
    PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG Brandon H - 34.5”