Did you see that!?

2»

Comments

• VindogVindog Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer! Members Posts: 17,468 ✭✭
    I guess I could add that in 2019 a committee could, if they so chose, to designate a waste area as a "penalty area" under the expanded definition of that term.
    run of the mill driver with stock shaft
    a couple of outdated hybrids
    shovel-ier shovels
    wedges from same shovel company
    some putter with a dead insert and
    a hideous grip
  • davep043davep043 Members Posts: 3,010 ✭✭
    Vindog wrote:

Krt22 wrote:

Nope. You can now ground your club in a water hazard, you can inadvertently touch the sand and remove loose impediments in a bunker, but you still can't ground your club in a bunker

[background=rgb(239, 240, 242)]2019 Rule: Under Rule 17:[/background]
    • There will no longer be any special restrictions when a ball is in a “penalty area” (the expanded designation for the area that includes what are now called water hazards).
    • A player will be allowed to touch or move loose impediments and touch the ground with hand or club (such as grounding the club right behind the ball) for any reason, subject only to the prohibition on improving conditions for the stroke (see new Rule 8.1a).

Also, I'm pretty sure touching even one grain of sand is considered "grounding" the club under the old rules. That's what I was getting at initally, but it appears setting up with your club in the sand is okay under the new rules. That I did not know.

I don't think those are accurate. Here is new rule:

b. Restrictions on Touching Sand in Bunker

stroke at a ball in a bunker, a player must not:
    • Deliberately touch sand in the bunker with a hand, club, rake or other object to test the condition of the sand to learn information for the next stroke, or
    • Touch sand in the bunker with a club:

Red results in penalty.

For @soregongolfer, you quoted some comments regarding Rule 17, which is for Penalty Areas. There's a separate rule (Rule 12) for bunkers, which is what @vindog quoted.
  • Krt22Krt22 Members Posts: 6,152 ✭✭
    davep043 wrote:

Vindog wrote:

Krt22 wrote:

Nope. You can now ground your club in a water hazard, you can inadvertently touch the sand and remove loose impediments in a bunker, but you still can't ground your club in a bunker

• There will no longer be any special restrictions when a ball is in a “penalty area” (the expanded designation for the area that includes what are now called water hazards).
    • A player will be allowed to touch or move loose impediments and touch the ground with hand or club (such as grounding the club right behind the ball) for any reason, subject only to the prohibition on improving conditions for the stroke (see new Rule 8.1a).

Also, I'm pretty sure touching even one grain of sand is considered "grounding" the club under the old rules. That's what I was getting at initally, but it appears setting up with your club in the sand is okay under the new rules. That I did not know.

• Deliberately touch sand in the bunker with a hand, club, rake or other object to test the condition of the sand to learn information for the next stroke, or

Red results in penalty.

For @soregongolfer, you quoted some comments regarding Rule 17, which is for Penalty Areas. There's a separate rule (Rule 12) for bunkers, which is what @vindog quoted.

Bingo, I was just going to say the same thing. Bunker's are not penalty areas. Penalty areas are what lateral/water hazards were reclassified as.
  • soregongolfersoregongolfer Members Posts: 1,275 ✭✭
    davep043 wrote:

Vindog wrote:

Krt22 wrote:

Red results in penalty.

Aha. That makes sense. Thanks!
  • PorkerPorker Posts: 275 ✭✭
    Vindog wrote:
    I guess I could add that in 2019 a committee could, if they so chose, to designate a waste area as a "penalty area" under the expanded definition of that term.

Yeh, but they Better make sure it’s clean! The boys will be grumpy if it’s full of ****
  • Awsi DoogerAwsi Dooger Members Posts: 4,192 ✭✭
    With only two pages I knew it couldn't be Bernhard Langer
  • VindogVindog Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer! Members Posts: 17,468 ✭✭
    Porker wrote:

Vindog wrote:

Yeh, but they Better make sure it’s clean! The boys will be grumpy if it’s full of ****

Why would they? They'll be able to clean it themselves and touch the ground without fear of penalty.
    run of the mill driver with stock shaft
    a couple of outdated hybrids
    shovel-ier shovels
    wedges from same shovel company
    some putter with a dead insert and
    a hideous grip
  • PorkerPorker Posts: 275 ✭✭
    Yea, but it’s still a PITA to do all that and you don’t know what’s directly beneath your ball! ... which you can’t move or ground your club ... waste areas are not set up clean like bunkers which is filled with clean sand
2»