Your Golf Lesson...

2»

Comments

  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,003 ✭✭
    wlm wrote:


    There are a few pretty good coaches at the big public schools in Texas, and some pretty good players who play on those teams.




    There are in Florida as well. We have a PGA Professional that is our coach. His assistant is the director of Instruction at a facility that has hosted USGA Championships. Our high school girl's team has a PGA professional as well.



    This is the exception, not the rule when it comes to high school golf.
  • RohlioRohlio Members Posts: 2,309 ✭✭
    My public high school 25 years ago...if you couldn't break 80 you couldn't make the team... Was the same throughout the district.



    Hardly beginners. Again not the best, but hey we did have somebody from our team go on scholarship to UCLA and a bunch go play D2... I assure you that our coach knew who our pro was.



    Sure your mileage may vary in terms of coach quality, **** it may just be janitor Steve driving the bus. But to just dismiss it out of hand is foolish in my opinion as it is likely a very simple question and if they don't have an answer no big deal.
    WITB:
    Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
    FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
    Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
    Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
    Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
    Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,003 ✭✭
    Rohlio wrote:
    My public high school 25 years ago...if you couldn't break 80 you couldn't make the team... Was the same throughout the district.



    Hardly beginners. Again not the best, but hey we did have somebody from our team go on scholarship to UCLA and a bunch go play D2... I assure you that our coach knew who our pro was.



    Sure your mileage may vary in terms of coach quality, **** it may just be janitor Steve driving the bus. But to just dismiss it out of hand is foolish in my opinion as it is likely a very simple question and if they don't have an answer no big deal.




    This is the exception, not the rule.



    I am fortunate that my kids went through and will go through good programs. My job allows me to see how athletic programs operate. I am in and out of high schools in Florida on a daily basis from Central to South Florida. Most of the coaches in high school are paid babysitters that do it for free golf for themselves.
  • RohlioRohlio Members Posts: 2,309 ✭✭
    edited Dec 3, 2018 #35

    Rohlio wrote:
    My public high school 25 years ago...if you couldn't break 80 you couldn't make the team... Was the same throughout the district.



    Hardly beginners. Again not the best, but hey we did have somebody from our team go on scholarship to UCLA and a bunch go play D2... I assure you that our coach knew who our pro was.



    Sure your mileage may vary in terms of coach quality, **** it may just be janitor Steve driving the bus. But to just dismiss it out of hand is foolish in my opinion as it is likely a very simple question and if they don't have an answer no big deal.




    This is the exception, not the rule.



    I am fortunate that my kids went through and will go through good programs. My job allows me to see how athletic programs operate. I am in and out of high schools in Florida on a daily basis from Central to South Florida. Most of the coaches in high school are paid babysitters that do it for free golf for themselves.






    My anecdote versus your anecdote is not a convincing argument. Okay I get it where you are in Florida it is the way you say... Where I grew up it was different. Who is right? Neither of us and both of us.
    WITB:
    Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
    FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
    Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
    Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
    Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
    Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle
  • wlmwlm Members Posts: 85 ✭✭
    I don’t disagree that it is the exception rather than the rule, and my experience is limited to Texas. But we have quite a few programs, including my son’s, that have good coaching and plenty of D1 talent.
  • tiger1873tiger1873 Members Posts: 1,011 ✭✭
    wlm wrote:


    But we have quite a few programs, including my son’s, that have good coaching and plenty of D1 talent.






    Getting back to topic the problem is I never met anyone who does’t love their coach/instructor and there lies the issue when seeking advice about a coach.



    It is sort like congress everyone loves your congressman but hates everyone else’s.

  • darter79darter79 Members Posts: 682 ✭✭
    wlm wrote:


    I don't disagree that it is the exception rather than the rule, and my experience is limited to Texas. But we have quite a few programs, including my son's, that have good coaching and plenty of D1 talent.




    I know a HS here is the austin area that produces d1 after d1 after d1 it seems like. But that is in a very wealthy part of town with a ton of country clubs and elite instructors. But I also seen the one in my town where my 8 year old daughter could beat 1/2 that team.
  • GolfSRQGolfSRQ Members Posts: 41 ✭✭
    The coach of my sons high school team explained it well to the kids trying out, he said you already need to know how to play golf to play in high school. Fortunately for us and our son the team is a good team that is well funded and has a swing coach as an assistant.
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,003 ✭✭
    GolfSRQ wrote:


    The coach of my sons high school team explained it well to the kids trying out, he said you already need to know how to play golf to play in high school. Fortunately for us and our son the team is a good team that is well funded and has a swing coach as an assistant.




    We as well.
2»
Sign In or Register to comment.