Why does everyone say Sabatini is a jerk?

Comments

• Pent08Pent08 Posts: 991 ✭✭
    Whether you go to Leonard's Golf Links or various courses around the Fort Worth area, there are plenty of unflattering stories about him and his wife.
  • BMCBMC Members Posts: 3,522 ✭✭
    edited Dec 1, 2018 #33
    There was a story a few years ago at the Sony in Hawaii. Rory S came in very early for a practice round and was paired with a husband and wife tourist twosome. It's a resort course. The couple said he couldn't have been nicer. Helping them with their game and enjoying his company. They ate lunch together after the round and he picked up the tab.

There's no particular reason a player has to be gracious and friendly with competitors and their caddies.

It's a competition, there's no Mr. Congeniality award.

You ever watch a Bengals/Ravens game.
    PING OG Rapture 9*
    Cobra Baffler Pro 18* hybrid
    Cleveland CG2 irons 3-p
    Bridgestone Wedges 52/56
    Odyssey #1WS
  • thevaporzthevaporz Members Posts: 2,801 ✭✭
    edited Dec 1, 2018 #34

Rosco1216 wrote:

I was playing with a local pro I know well and do some lessons with. He played 30 some PGA tour events in the early 2000’s. I randomly asked him who the most disliked guy on tour was, and without pause, “Rory Sabbatini without a doubt”.

Same answer when Howard Stern asked Jason Dufner the same question in an interview. Dufner didn't think long either.

Found the interview from Aug 2013 after he won the PGA. Good listen. Duf is cool. Starts at 1:48 for about a half hour. They talk about the baba booey yelling. Funny stuff.

[media=]
  • ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker Members Posts: 5,175 ✭✭

ebrasmus21 wrote:

So bored is WRX that a Rory f****** Sabbatini thread was started.

This is a new low - even for us.

Well, enough members were interested enough to reply, so you don't need to worry about it.

I was just kidding Bro Montana. I’m always down to discuss the complexities of the venerable Rory Sabbatini
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • ValtielValtiel Konica-Minolta Bizhub Members Posts: 1,786 ✭✭
    If I recall correctly, he was generally not very well liked and then he crossed Tiger at one point and was basically on the s*** list ever since then. He was in contention several times this year but you wouldn't have known it by the coverage. He also just has an unfortunate face. image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
    Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX || Titleist 915D3 8.5* Diamana Kai'li 80x
    Callaway XHot 3Deep Pro 14.5* Fujikura Motore VC 8.3 Tour Spec X || Nike SQ2 13* Diamana Blueboard 83x
    Nike Tour Issue SQ2 17* Diamana Blueboard 103x || SQ2 15* Diamana Blueboard 93x
    PING Anser 20* Aldila Rogue Black 110MSI 105h Tour-X || Taylormade V-Steel 21* Project X Rifle Satin 6.5
    Mizuno MP-H4 3i 21* Project X PXi 7.0
    Mizuno MP-H4 4i 24* Project X PXi 7.0
    Mizuno MP-59 4i-PW 27*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey  SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx1
    Vokey Special 62* Black Oxide V-Grind Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx2
    Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Bullseye shaft

WITB Thread
  • bigchucksrbigchucksr Members Posts: 306 ✭✭
    For me, the "dislike" for Sabbatini goes back some 13 years to this incident. I was watching and remember it well, it was an ugly scene. Prior to this incident I didn't have a feeling about the golfer either positive or negative. I think you will find that most of the criticism of Sabbatini's *****ly personality was initiated with this matter.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/12/AR2005061201546.html
  • Steele47Steele47 Members Posts: 1,239 ✭✭
    Well maybe I'm quite odd but I was in full applause mode when he took a stand against slow play. Many complain about slow play as evidenced by the many threads on this site but few really stick their necks out and do something about it cause it might offend someone. And a round and round we go....
  • MaximilianMaximilian Members Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    Steele47 wrote:

Well maybe I'm quite odd but I was in full applause mode when he took a stand against slow play. Many complain about slow play as evidenced by the many threads on this site but few really stick their necks out and do something about it cause it might offend someone. And a round and round we go....

Totally agree. Now, I’d much rather grab a beer with Crane than Sabbatini, but I still think that event was funny.
  • ValtielValtiel Konica-Minolta Bizhub Members Posts: 1,786 ✭✭
    Steele47 wrote:

You can take a stand without being a child about it though, that is what people took issue with. He does not get a free pass to be a ****head just because his frustrations happened to line up with an issue the Tour has.
    Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX || Titleist 915D3 8.5* Diamana Kai'li 80x
    Callaway XHot 3Deep Pro 14.5* Fujikura Motore VC 8.3 Tour Spec X || Nike SQ2 13* Diamana Blueboard 83x
    Nike Tour Issue SQ2 17* Diamana Blueboard 103x || SQ2 15* Diamana Blueboard 93x
    PING Anser 20* Aldila Rogue Black 110MSI 105h Tour-X || Taylormade V-Steel 21* Project X Rifle Satin 6.5
    Mizuno MP-H4 3i 21* Project X PXi 7.0
    Mizuno MP-H4 4i 24* Project X PXi 7.0
    Mizuno MP-59 4i-PW 27*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey  SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx1
    Vokey Special 62* Black Oxide V-Grind Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx2
    Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Bullseye shaft

WITB Thread
  • golfandfishinggolfandfishing Members Posts: 3,388 ✭✭
    Maximilian wrote:

Steele47 wrote:

Totally agree. Now, I’d much rather grab a beer with Crane than Sabbatini, but I still think that event was funny.

I get the impression that grabbing a beer with Ben Crane involves 1 beer, 1 juice, a lengthy lecture on vice and a list of methods for repentance.
  • VindogVindog Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer! Members Posts: 17,468 ✭✭
    cardoustie wrote:

The walking ahead incident wasn't great

Well here's the funny thing about that. Most everyone here has an angle on slow play on tour and many of them want players to take matters into their own hands. Well, except for Rory S. He's a jerk for doing it.
    run of the mill driver with stock shaft
    a couple of outdated hybrids
    shovel-ier shovels
    wedges from same shovel company
    some putter with a dead insert and
    a hideous grip
  • Soloman1Soloman1 Members Posts: 2,446 ✭✭
    I think John Rahm is challenging him as the biggest jerk. Every single person (waiters, sales people, drivers on the same road...) in the Phoenix area who has ever had an encounter with him has sworn they will forever hate professional golf and golfers.
    I'm quitting at 6.022 x 10^23 posts.
    Avogadro would be proud.
  • Vardon GripVardon Grip Members Posts: 428 ✭✭
    Hmmm,this starting to feel like Rocky IV when he wins over the hostile crowd.

The incident involved impatience over slow play, evidence of at least 1 redeeming value. Slow clap into a Rory chant?
  • tideridertiderider Members Posts: 1,474 ✭✭

Maximilian wrote:

Steele47 wrote:

Totally agree. Now, I'd much rather grab a beer with Crane than Sabbatini, but I still think that event was funny.

I get the impression that grabbing a beer with Ben Crane involves 1 beer, 1 juice, a lengthy lecture on vice and a list of methods for repentance.

ha ...

"i know i'm slow ... i'm working on it ... it's going to take some time"
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,366 ClubWRX

Maximilian wrote:

Steele47 wrote:

Totally agree. Now, I'd much rather grab a beer with Crane than Sabbatini, but I still think that event was funny.

I think he'd be fun, but I don't think even I can nurse a beer for 6 hours!
  • Vardon GripVardon Grip Members Posts: 428 ✭✭
    Beer w Sabatini or plane ride w Ernie Els?
  • sheldonjhackersheldonjhacker Members Posts: 3,699 ✭✭
    Because I AM !!!

Best, 228-400x400.png
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,366 ClubWRX

Put Sabbatini on Ernie's plane!
  • BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Members Posts: 5,096 ✭✭
    edited Dec 2, 2018 #50
    Years ago there was a feature in some golf magazine that mentioned the biggest jerks in golf and Sabbatini was at the top of the list.

Years later came the Ben Crane incident, which I thought was an awesome move by RS.
  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War Members Posts: 2,719 ✭✭
    he's a combination of the worse of South Africa and America.
    Cobra LTD PRO/LTD BLACK  Matrix F6M2/F7M3/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ Fuji 661 III
    Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Cobra Fly Z  Pro Irons Modus 120x SSx2 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    Machine LN M6
  • mosesgolfmosesgolf Members Posts: 6,833 ✭✭
    Sabbatini makes Patrick Reed look like Mother Theresa. image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
    Taylormade M1 9.5 661 Tour Spec Stiff
    Taylormade M1 3 Wood 15 Kuro Kage Stiff
    Taylormade RBZ 18 Altus Stiff
    Adams Peanut 24* Altus Stiff
    Taylormade PSI Tour DGS300 Stiff 5-PW
    Taylormade Tour Preferred 52 56 60
    Taylormade SI Spider 72 38
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,219 ClubWRX
    It was pretty well known that RS was very active...outside the ropes. The source...none other than his first wife.

http://www.golf.com/scorecard/2013/03/20/rory-sabbatinis-ex-wife-slams-him-twitter-rant
  • BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Members Posts: 5,096 ✭✭
    edited Dec 2, 2018 #54
    Google "Rory Sabbatini Jerk"--- and get over 7,000 pages

https://bleacherrepo...-pga-tours-jerk

https://www.golf.com...-pros-wrong-way

https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/55163-singh-and-sabbatini-have-verbal-clash-over-a-caddie/

https://bleacherrepo...all-time#slide3

In 2007, he challenged Tiger Woods to a fight. Well, not a fistfight, but told the best player in the world to “pick up his game."

The cocky South African started a feud with Woods (what has Tiger ever done to these guys?) during the Tournament Players Championship.

“I want Tiger," he said. "I want him to pick it up this week and we will be there late Sunday. He’s more beatable than ever.”

That same year, Sabbatini’s pompous attitude led to the distinction of being voted Sports Illustrated's least favorite playing partner on a tour.

In 2011, he berated a teenage volunteer at Riviera and then engaged in a yelling match with Sean O’Hair.

The words “jerk” and “superior” have often been used to describe Sabbatini who responded to questions about the O’Hair incident and a possible suspension with, “Comment on what? Those crazy rumors going around? Well, I’m playing this week, so I wouldn’t worry about it too much. OK guys?”

Whatever you say, Rory.
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,168 ✭✭
    Sabbatini was Pat Perez before people knew much about Pat Perez. He said brash things, he picked fights with Tiger. There was the Crane incident....

His wife was usually pretty loud on the sidelines.

Just a really brash couple. He was probably ahead of his time truthfully because that is alot more "in" now. I mean people love Perez for "calling it like he sees it"....6-8 years ago sabbatini was despised on here for basically doing the same
    Ping G400 Max 9 w/ Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w//Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S300
    Odyssey O-works #7 Red Tank
  • BNGLBNGL Members Posts: 1,557 ✭✭
    Had the pleasure of playing with Rory a few times via a mutual friend who is also a bit of mystery amongst the tour community. I’ve nothing but great experiences with him, on and off the course. He’s very passionate and sometimes that manifests itself in away that makes others uncomfortable. You know exactly where you stand with him, he’s your best friend until you cross then you’re done there’s no way back from that.

Not that charitable work makes you a good person, but that same fire he brings he puts into that aspect of his life as well. He’s very big on supporting military families and a junior reading program as well as various other initiatives.
  • Forged4everForged4ever Putting is 98%+ Mental..... ClubWRX Posts: 15,594 ClubWRX
    edited Dec 2, 2018 #57
    b.helts wrote:

He and I went to school (different schools) about the same time and I ended up with him a couple times. It’s no misguided myth, dudes an a-hole.
    I have posted before as I also “ended up with him” and the first time was after his 2005 debacle with Ben Crane and it was down in Fla and we hit it off, what can I say. I too can be an arsehole but I tend to go after guys my “size” or bigger, where as it seems that the Rorrs tends to go after the quieter soft spoken smaller guys, lol. I mentioned this to him cuz he made a comment to a guy in the bar that evening while we were waiting for his then wife, Amy, and Madison. I apologized to the guy, who accidently took a beer off of the bar that was Sabatini’s, though he had the same beer sitting there and Rory actually set his down closer to the guy, so he naturally thought that it was his. It was uncalled for.

I’ll leave it at that and Brian is spot on except to say that Madison has a much much more definitive and negative opinion of the Rorrster cuz she grew close to Amy and they still keep in touch, through they’ve been divorced for a while.

I’m not into doggin guys and I only give credence to those that have first hand experience with someone, and I prefer that it be more than a single post round autograph rejection, as I’ve seen guys that are worshipped on here and in the game say “no, not now.” It’s how ya say it.

Rory never learned how.

The only reason that he hasn’t gotten smacked right in his lil smug mouth is because, as I said earlier, he chooses his adversaries very carefully, lmao

He may be a **** but he’s no dummy😉

Stay well Bro & have a great Holiday👊

My Best,

Richard
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24
  • ChristosteroneChristosterone Reverse C ClubWRX Posts: 1,338 ClubWRX
    I loved his swing...

Don’t care about the other stuff...

-Chris
    Sixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
    Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
    Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
    Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
    dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape
  • Forged4everForged4ever Putting is 98%+ Mental..... ClubWRX Posts: 15,594 ClubWRX
    edited Dec 2, 2018 #59

Beer with Sabbs, lolol

It is a hoot, especially if he’s had a few, lmao

Cheers🍻

RP
    In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24
    edited Dec 2, 2018 #60
    ebrasmus21 wrote:

So bored is WRX that a Rory f****** Sabbatini thread was started.

This is a new low - even for us.
    Hahaha, my initial post in here was my first in weeks, so what’s that tell ya about me😂😂😂????

Don’t worry though, trust me, I can go much much lower, lmao🤪😜

Stay well Bro & I hope that you and yours have a great Holiday Season👊

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friend⛳️

RP
  • nikegalnikegal The golf swing is simple arithmetic, not trigonometry Posts: 1,185 ✭✭
    He is a **** image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> Madison