Taylormade Tour Issue 2016-2018 M Series Drivers....Trackman Comparison Data

TollBrosTollBros Overseer of the Test RangeSponsors Posts: 4,873 ✭✭
edited Dec 18, 2018 in WRX Club Techs #1
The purpose of this thread is to compare data from 2016, 2017 and 2018 M line Tour issue drivers, all with identical specs. We get asked all the time questions like "what is the difference in launch and spin from M1 to M3" and many other data focused questions. So I am going to answer those for you. We are finishing up the collection today, and will be updating with at least one swing speed block per day for the next few days, so check back in daily to see the updates.

Also for those of you who do not know, we carry brand new Tour issue M3 and M4 Driver heads. They can be found in the link below.

http://www.golfwrx.c.../#entry18210658
http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/608-greengrassevaluationscom/

Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• getitdailygetitdaily Members Posts: 2,440 ✭✭
    edited Dec 3, 2018 #2
    I'll be interested to see your results for launch and spin between 16 m2 9.5 and m4 8.5.

They were very similar for me on a launch monitor but the on course test of the m4 made me a believer. It was longer and straighter and I'm divesting my 16 m2 heads to buy an m4...not tour issue.
  • TollBrosTollBros Overseer of the Test Range Sponsors Posts: 4,873 ✭✭
    getitdaily wrote:

I'll be interested to see your results for launch and spin between 16 m2 9.5 and m4 8.5.

They were very similar for me on a launch monitor but the on course test of the m4 made me a believer. It was longer and straighter and I'm divesting my 16 m2 heads to buy an m4...not tour issue.

We tested all identical loft and face angle heads. With retail you just don't actually know what the loft or face angle is so any test would be worthless. Identical specs are what makes the test valid and useful which is why Tour issue is the only way it makes any sense.

Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.
  • 03trdblack03trdblack ClubWRX Posts: 1,850 ClubWRX
    Can you translate what all the different measurements on the stickers are and what they indicate for each head?
    edited Dec 3, 2018 #5
    TollBros wrote:

getitdaily wrote:

We tested all identical loft and face angle heads. With retail you just don't actually know what the loft or face angle is so any test would be worthless. Identical specs are what makes the test valid and useful which is why Tour issue is the only way it makes any sense.

Ah, gotcha. That is why, when I buy an m4, I plan to hit several and buy the one with optimal numbers.

Still interested in the results. Betting the m4 launches higher than m2 at the same loft, but probably spins more too.
  • Dcoop86Dcoop86 Members Posts: 147 ✭✭
    I’m excited to see what you find. I’m hoping things like M4 and M3 lifts are similar as well to get a fair comparison between models. I have the M4, love it, but am interested in the M3 if it’s a bit more low/low. Looking forward to this one!
  • golf4fungolf4fun ClubWRX Posts: 539 ClubWRX
    Looking forward to the results!!
  • Lefty28Lefty28 Members Posts: 200 ✭✭
    Popcorn ready.
  • ironmikesironmikes Members Posts: 1,429 ✭✭
    will be interesting to see the numbers. thanks
  • PatsNationPatsNation Members Posts: 1,505 ✭✭
  • ZA206ZA206 Members Posts: 620 ✭✭
    Nice. Can't wait to see your results. I know what my results are from M1-16 to M2-17 and then to tour issue M1-17

-ZA
    TM 2019 M5 460 9.0 with PX Hazardous Smoke 60-X
    TM 2018 M3 15 3W with Tensei Pro White 70 TX
    TM 2018 M3 19 & 22 Rescue Hybrids with Fujikura Atmos Blue TS-8X
    718 AP2 (5-PW) with AMT White X100's
    52F SM6 with AMT X100
    56S SM7 with S400
    TM 60 Hi Toe with S400
    TM Ghost Spider S - 34"
  • manima1manima1 Members Posts: 708 ✭✭
    I'm predicting the 16 M2 will outperform all!
    M5 9.0 - Kuro Kage Dual Core 80tx tipped 1"
    '16 M2HL 16.8 tour issued deep faced - Fujikura 8.3 TS
    zU45 18 degree - S400
    z745 4-9 - S400
    SM6 46.08F - S400 Chrome
    SM6 50.08F - S400 Steel Gray
    SM7 54.10S - S400 Raw
    SM5 60.08M - Wedge Flex Raw Black
    Odyssey Tank Cruiser V-line
    manima1 wrote:

There are some differences in launch and spin, and there is one head in particular that has marginally higher ball speeds, but overall it's mostly launch and spin differences at identical lofts. I'll be updating the first block tomorrow.

manima1 wrote:

16 m2 (9.5) has beaten everything I've put against it...until

8.5 m4
  • MakersMarsh3MakersMarsh3 Members Posts: 1,211 ✭✭
    Excited for this. Thx Toll
    lead tape & Taylormade TP5X's
  • Gtyler14Gtyler14 Members Posts: 639 ✭✭
    This will be a great thread Toll!
    Tour issue M4 8.5 w/ Kuro Kage dual core 70TX tipped 1” 44”
    Tour issue M1 T3 14.3 Kuro Kage dual core 80TX tipped 1 42.5” or Diamana bf 80TX tipped 1
    Tour issue TM m1 3HL 17.8 fujikura p95x tipped 1 41.75”
    TM 790 UDI x100 39.75
    TM 750 tour Proto 4-pw tour issue x100
    TM MG AB 54 Tour issue x100
    TM MG AB 60 tour issue x100
    Nike method 001
    Scotty Cameron select Newport 2
  • ValtielValtiel Konica-Minolta Bizhub Members Posts: 1,912 ✭✭
    Looking forward to this!

I'm going to hazard a guess that based on the CG/MOI data that has come out about these drivers that the newer models will have on average slightly better ball speeds but that the older models well have the edge when it comes to spin. They've been pushing for higher MOI and more forgiveness at the cost of the CG getting higher and higher each year. The M1 430 (if that is in the test) should be the lowest spin, M4 *should* be the highest and the 2016 M2 should be the best all-rounder. The M3 440 might be a wildcard in there with spin given that it is very similar to the SLDR 430 and we should see that the 2017 M2 falls short of the 2016 M2.

Bets placed!
    Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX || Titleist 915D3 8.5* Diamana Kai'li 80x
    Callaway XHot 3Deep Pro 14.5* Fujikura Motore VC 8.3 Tour Spec X || Nike SQ2 13* Diamana Blueboard 83x
    Nike Tour Issue SQ2 17* Diamana Blueboard 103x || SQ2 15* Diamana Blueboard 93x
    PING Anser 20* Aldila Rogue Black 110MSI 105h Tour-X || Taylormade V-Steel 21* Project X Rifle Satin 6.5
    Mizuno MP-H4 3i 21* Project X PXi 7.0
    Mizuno MP-H4 4i 24* Project X PXi 7.0
    Mizuno MP-59 4i-PW 24*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey  SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx1
    Vokey Special 62* Black Oxide V-Grind Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx2
    Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Bullseye shaft

WITB Thread
  • bitt03bitt03 Members Posts: 345 ✭✭
    Anyone else refresh this thread like 8 times today already?....yea me neither!
    Valtiel wrote:

Looking forward to this!

I'm going to hazard a guess that based on the CG/MOI data that has come out about these drivers that the newer models will have on average slightly better ball speeds but that the older models well have the edge when it comes to spin. They've been pushing for higher MOI and more forgiveness at the cost of the CG getting higher and higher each year. The M1 430 (if that is in the test) should be the lowest spin, M4 *should* be the highest and the 2016 M2 should be the best all-rounder. The M3 440 might be a wildcard in there with spin given that it is very similar to the SLDR 430 and we should see that the 2017 M2 falls short of the 2016 M2.

Bets placed!

You are very good! I think a couple of those predictions just might be pretty close. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

bitt03 wrote:

Anyone else refresh this thread like 8 times today already?....yea me neither!

Just wrapped up final testing this afternoon about 35 minutes ago. I'll be posting up the first block of data tomorrow early in the day.

Hey toll,

Judge smails just called me, said he needed me to pass a message on to you...

Don't shoot the messenger here, just passing this along...

"Well, we're waiting. While we're young"

:-)
    125mph Head results. We will eventually post 115, 110, and 105 as well.

getitdaily wrote:

Hey toll,

Judge smails just called me, said he needed me to pass a message on to you...

Don't shoot the messenger here, just passing this along...

"Well, we're waiting. While we're young"

:-)

haha. It will be ONE block per day for the next 4 days, so get used to that refresh button. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

• RonSwansonRonSwanson Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it. ClubWRX Posts: 1,643 ClubWRX
    I think that's about what I and, I would guess, most people expected. The 2016 line was so good. '17 line seemed to be mailed in a bit. I really liked the '18 M3/M4 even though a lot of people here hate on it. The '16 M2 is one of the best drivers of all time. Very cool to see it on top after 3 generations.
    Hmmm, very interesting.

Toll - do you have dispersion numbers for this tester? Not just the "distance from center" dispersion number but farthest left and right numbers?

Very interesting that 8.5 m4 is on par with 8.5 16 m2. That makes me happy since it helps validate that going from 9.5 16 m2 to 8.5 m4 will be solid.
  • TheSphynxTheSphynx “When is the next sloth eyed shootout?” Las VegasMembers Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    edited Dec 5, 2018 #24
    This first block of data confirms what I already knew: People on here are full of $#!t when they say they picked up 20-30 yards from one year to the next.

That...or there is a huge difference in actual loft from one year to the next for their particular heads. My money is on option one.
  • justasgoodjustasgood Without Tempo, you are just a hacker. Members Posts: 2,603 ✭✭
    In for the knowledge
  • Hookasaurus RexHookasaurus Rex Purveyor of fine turf Members Posts: 1,062 ✭✭
    I have a tour issue 2016 M2 and tour issue 2017 M2. I actually find them to be comparable. I'd maybe give the nod to the 2017 overall, because it seems more forgiving. I do hit the ball very high on the clubface, so I don't know if that would account for my liking of the 2017 M2 (it's also a very high CT head at 251). When I do center the 2016 M2, it's a total monster, but my swing just can't consistently get it there. I always seem to be high/high toe with driver....
    Cobra King F9 Avalanche 9* Tensei CK Pro Orange 60TX
    Cobra King LTD 3-4w Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0
    Titleist 913h 19* Aldila Tour Green 85hs
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 4-GW Nippon Modus 3 105x
    Cobra King Black 54*, 58* Modus Wedge 115
    PXG Bat Attack 35” 400g
    I should add all heads are within...

.1 degree of loft

.2 degree face angle

.004 CT

Same shaft

Same tipping

Same length

Same grip

Swingweight

TheSphynx wrote:

This first block of data confirms what I already knew: People on here are full of $#!t when they say they picked up 20-30 yards from one year to the next.

That...or there is a huge difference in actual loft from one year to the next for their particular heads. My money is on option one.

5-10 yards total distance, yes. More forgiveness with twist face, yes. 20-30 yards on like strikes. No way in ****.

edited Dec 5, 2018 #28
    getitdaily wrote:

Hmmm, very interesting.

Toll - do you have dispersion numbers for this tester? Not just the "distance from center" dispersion number but farthest left and right numbers?

Very interesting that 8.5 m4 is on par with 8.5 16 m2. That makes me happy since it helps validate that going from 9.5 16 m2 to 8.5 m4 will be solid.

Dispersion numbers get better with each progression of the line. M4 with twist face is pretty clearly the most accurate of the entire bunch. M2 2016 does have the slight edge on ball speed in ONLY the 8.5 loft, which was Tour issue only and the reason the PGA Tour went back to both air cannon testing as well as CT. Lower swing speeds tested different lofts so stay tuned for that. The results are not the same for every speed.

TollBros wrote:

getitdaily wrote:

Hmmm, very interesting.

Dispersion numbers get better with each progression of the line. M4 with twist face is pretty clearly the most accurate of the entire bunch. M2 2016 does have the slight edge on ball speed in ONLY the 8.5 loft, which was Tour issue only and the reason the PGA Tour went back to both air cannon testing as well as CT. Lower swing speeds tested different lofts so stay tuned for that. The results are not the same for every speed.

Thanks! Your statement is exactly what I saw on course.
  • lonscicleslonscicles Members Posts: 47 ✭✭
  • ZA206ZA206 Members Posts: 620 ✭✭
    Can’t wait to see the results with the 115 mph club head speeds!
    TM 2019 M5 460 9.0 with PX Hazardous Smoke 60-X
    TM 2018 M3 15 3W with Tensei Pro White 70 TX
    TM 2018 M3 19 & 22 Rescue Hybrids with Fujikura Atmos Blue TS-8X
    718 AP2 (5-PW) with AMT White X100's
    52F SM6 with AMT X100
    56S SM7 with S400
    TM 60 Hi Toe with S400
    TM Ghost Spider S - 34"