NZ Golf?

Heading to Auckland for work next week and looking into some courses for the trip...



I've got days free so going to try and play daily.



Ive emailed Titirangi and Royal Aucklang/Grange



Any thoughts on the other courses around?



Looking at:



Windross Farm

Clarks Beach

Formosa

Howick

Remuera



Anyone local can recommend or anyone local can host me at Royal/Grange? please...?

Comments

  • WildcatGolferWildcatGolfer Members Posts: 154 ✭✭
    edited Dec 4, 2018 #2
    It's probably a little over an hour but if you're not considering Tara Iti you're making a big mistake. One of the world's finest courses.



    Edit: I'm an idiot, totally private, but you should at least consider becoming a billionaire quickly so you can play.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Shovels
    Rakes
    2x4s
    Baseball Bat
  • BVIChesterBVIChester Members Posts: 185 ✭✭
    Tara Iti is the most exclusive club in the country and you cannot play there without an invite (rarer than hens teeth) or fulfilling various other stipulations. There are of course a few exceptions depending on who you know and if you do get the chance im very envious.



    Royal Auckland/Grange is currently undergoing a renovation after they merged so not sure on the conditions. Titirangi and Remuera are probably the top two courses on your list.



    Im at Pupuke a club on the North Shore where Lydia Ko played which is an interesting little track in superb condition right now. If you were looking for another i would say that Muriwai would comparable to any of the top ones.
  • WildcatGolferWildcatGolfer Members Posts: 154 ✭✭
    BVIChester wrote:


    Tara Iti is the most exclusive club in the country and you cannot play there without an invite (rarer than hens teeth) or fulfilling various other stipulations. There are of course a few exceptions depending on who you know and if you do get the chance im very envious.



    Royal Auckland/Grange is currently undergoing a renovation after they merged so not sure on the conditions. Titirangi and Remuera are probably the top two courses on your list.



    Im at Pupuke a club on the North Shore where Lydia Ko played which is an interesting little track in superb condition right now. If you were looking for another i would say that Muriwai would comparable to any of the top ones.




    Appologies, I thought it was a resort. So if I have a chance to play it I shouldn't turn it down?
    Shovels
    Rakes
    2x4s
    Baseball Bat
  • BVIChesterBVIChester Members Posts: 185 ✭✭
    You would have 99% of NZ golfers chew their own arm off for the opportunity. Its simply not a walk on green fee playing course for any amount of money
  • Bizzle80Bizzle80 Members Posts: 146 ✭✭
    Tara Iti on the list, but I’m going to wait til another trip so I can request to stay for a few days. Think I can get access...but guests are apparently only allowed a one time visit. Can stay as long as you want but then that’s it.



    I am going to hit Titirangi and will probably check out Muriwai and wind Ross. Any thoughts on Clark’s Beach or Gulf Harbour?



    Thx! Will recap post trip.
  • puttnforthe8puttnforthe8 Members Posts: 2,797 ✭✭
    I am guessing your time may not allow it, but it seems a shame to go all that way and not try and play Kauari Cliffs.
  • BargegolfBargegolf Members Posts: 63 ✭✭
    In celebration of my wife retirement we are doing a 3 week trip of the North Island in February. Golf a big part but also including lots of time in Auckland and Wellington, Wine tours in Hawks' Bay and also going all the way up to Cape Reinga.



    We are playing Windross, Wairakei, Cape Kidnappers, Paraparaumu and Kauri Cliffs...
  • MudguardMudguard Members Posts: 1,265 ✭✭
    If you're coming to Auckland I would play:

    Windross (though greens have been cored this week I believe)

    Titirangi

    Gulf Harbour



    Kinloch near Taupo is easily my favourite, as is Cape Kidnappers. But they're probably for another trip.



    I wouldn't bother trying to get on Royal Auckland until they've finished their rebuild.

    Tara Iti I wouldn't bother either, from non-member accounts it is spectacular looking but not much fun to play, they've struggled with their greens and the experience is very American which may appeal, IE your bag is replaced with a carry bag, caddy mandatory etc. Plus it's not easy to get on, hence why I haven't played it!
  • TrevornTrevorn Archie62 Members Posts: 58 ✭✭
    Bargegolf wrote:


    In celebration of my wife retirement we are doing a 3 week trip of the North Island in February. Golf a big part but also including lots of time in Auckland and Wellington, Wine tours in Hawks' Bay and also going all the way up to Cape Reinga.



    We are playing Windross, Wairakei, Cape Kidnappers, Paraparaumu and Kauri Cliffs...


    Wairakei is just down the road from Kinloch so worth the effort to play there as well. Wine tasting in Hawkes Bay is great but if you are driving from Hawkes Bay to Wellington, you are almost passing through Martinborough so call in there as well if you like Pinot Noir and Chardonnay
  • RustynutsRustynuts Members Posts: 901 ✭✭
    Gulf Harbour

    Titirangi

    Windross Farm are all worth playing, I work at a place called wainui so happy to help you on there
  • BargegolfBargegolf Members Posts: 63 ✭✭
    Trevorn wrote:

    Bargegolf wrote:


    In celebration of my wife retirement we are doing a 3 week trip of the North Island in February. Golf a big part but also including lots of time in Auckland and Wellington, Wine tours in Hawks' Bay and also going all the way up to Cape Reinga.



    We are playing Windross, Wairakei, Cape Kidnappers, Paraparaumu and Kauri Cliffs...


    Wairakei is just down the road from Kinloch so worth the effort to play there as well. Wine tasting in Hawkes Bay is great but if you are driving from Hawkes Bay to Wellington, you are almost passing through Martinborough so call in there as well if you like Pinot Noir and Chardonnay




    Tks for suggestion on Kinloch. We did consider it but can't fit it in. We are going to hit Martinborough on the way to Wellington. Our only "disappointment" is that the All Blacks will not be playing in NZ during our stay. We definitely would have wanted to see a game live.
  • TrevornTrevorn Archie62 Members Posts: 58 ✭✭
    Bargegolf wrote:

    Trevorn wrote:

    Bargegolf wrote:


    In celebration of my wife retirement we are doing a 3 week trip of the North Island in February. Golf a big part but also including lots of time in Auckland and Wellington, Wine tours in Hawks' Bay and also going all the way up to Cape Reinga.



    We are playing Windross, Wairakei, Cape Kidnappers, Paraparaumu and Kauri Cliffs...


    Wairakei is just down the road from Kinloch so worth the effort to play there as well. Wine tasting in Hawkes Bay is great but if you are driving from Hawkes Bay to Wellington, you are almost passing through Martinborough so call in there as well if you like Pinot Noir and Chardonnay




    Tks for suggestion on Kinloch. We did consider it but can't fit it in. We are going to hit Martinborough on the way to Wellington. Our only "disappointment" is that the All Blacks will not be playing in NZ during our stay. We definitely would have wanted to see a game live.


    Wairakei is an amazing place. They've turned it into a wildlife sanctuary so you may see some native birds while you are there. Apparently there are kiwis in there as well so if you see one, it's rarer than seeing the All Blacks play. If you only go to one winery in Martinborough, make it Ata Rangi. It would be one of our truly world class wineries. I don't think they are open for tastings as a rule but you can ring and make a time.
  • Bizzle80Bizzle80 Members Posts: 146 ✭✭
    Just played Titirangi this am. Perfect day...sunny and breezy. That course is amazing...played with a local member and let him know how much he should appreciate a membership for so little compared to an LA club.



    Kind of felt like playing in Jurassic Park especially the back 9.



    Windross tomorrow and Mirawai Sunday.
Sign In or Register to comment.