Flightscope Results Question

QuasimotoQuasimoto Members Posts: 882 ✭✭
edited Dec 4, 2018 in Instruction & Academy #1
Hi to all you analysts, here is an average of 6 Flightscope numbers out of 16 strikes, these being similar and my best.

At 64 I am working on swing freedom and consistency, while increasing ball speed if possible.

I will post the numbers and then ask a question. Note: printing or transmitting the results was not possible due to a new employee with lack of understanding of a new device. Right handed with a Srixon 785 and PX 6.0 HC shaft.

Ball Launch Side A Back Side S Descent Offline Peak Carry Total

137.1 16.4 0.0 2400 117 38.1 5.5 yd 101 245 266

So I am happy with many aspects of these numbers, and I have work to do to keep building technique to apply more club head speed through timing and legwork.

My question is, with a 0.0 side angle, and 117 side spin, good back spin number, how do I end up 5.5 yds offline?

Several of the ditched shots had more side spin and ended up further offline - mostly on faded shots. Shots with a draw and more than 117 side spin had more distance, and more yards offline left.

Thanks for your help

Edit: Sorry, couldn't get the numbers to line up properly.
Srixon 785 9.5 HC HZRDUS 6.0
Titleist TS3 13.5 75g S EvenFlo
Taylormade GAPR Hi 3,4,5 70g KBS R
Srixon z785 6-AW Nippon Tour 105 R
Titleist SM7 54 & 58 Nippon Tour 105 S
Odyssey Stroke Labs #7,
BStone BX, Titleist AVX

Comments

• Krt22Krt22 Members Posts: 6,788 ✭✭
    Side spin means the ball is curving. 5.5 yards off line on a 245 yard shot is nothing to worry about. And are you sure this was a flightscope?
  • iteachgolfiteachgolf Members Posts: 16,809 ✭✭
    Not on a Flightscope. Numbers look more like Foresight
  • QuasimotoQuasimoto Members Posts: 882 ✭✭
    Apologies yes, it was a Foresight.
    Odyssey Stroke Labs #7,
    BStone BX, Titleist AVX
    Foresight is a little odd in that they report side spin, in reality there is no such thing as side spin, in reality the ball only can spin around a single axis, but that axis can be tilted relative to the target. But it's a good way I guess to let users know that the ball will curve, the more side spin, the more curvature. If the ball starts perfectly straight and has some side spin, it will curve away from the target. How much offline you end up is a product of the total spin and the direction the ball starts.
  • QuasimotoQuasimoto Members Posts: 882 ✭✭
    edited Dec 4, 2018 #6
    Krt22 wrote:

Foresight is a little odd in that they report side spin, in reality there is no such thing as side spin, in reality the ball only can spin around a single axis, but that axis can be tilted relative to the target. But it's a good way I guess to let users know that the ball will curve, the more side spin, the more curvature. If the ball starts perfectly straight and has some side spin, it will curve away from the target. How much offline you end up is a product of the total spin and the direction the ball starts.

OK, got that, what is the measurement Side Angle doing? Would this equate club face pulls/pushes?
    Odyssey Stroke Labs #7,
    BStone BX, Titleist AVX
    Yes, basically horizontal launch angle relative to the "target".
  • smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members Posts: 1,071 ✭✭
    5.5 yards offline is very much a manageable "miss" if you can even call 5.5 yards a miss.
  • PetethreeputPetethreeput Members Posts: 1,440 ✭✭
    edited Dec 5, 2018 #9
    Krt22 wrote:

Very informative, thank you. Can I ask a follow up?

Say a player has high “sidespin” numbers. Is this a product of swing path or would you look at lie angles first?
  • bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro ALClubWRX Posts: 3,257 ClubWRX
    iteachgolf wrote:

Not on a Flightscope. Numbers look more like Foresight

That Dan guy is pretty sharp! 😆 good catch.
    Titleist TS3 8.5 
    Titleist TS2 15* 
    Mizuno JPX 850 2 hybrid
    Mizuno MP 18 SC 3-pw
    Vokey 54/60 sm7 wedges
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m
  • jut111jut111 Members Posts: 1,655 ✭✭

Krt22 wrote:

Very informative, thank you. Can I ask a follow up?

Say a player has high “sidespin” numbers. Is this a product of swing path or would you look at lie angles first?

It’s a product of face to path relationship. Bigger the difference between the two bigger the spin axis/“side spin”. So lie angle plays into the face part of that relationship.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file