2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

New Rifle Shafts

CTSpinDoctor

What's the difference in these rifles vs the old version. It seems like only certified dealers can get these. You can't just go buy these shafts unless you have an account. And no oem have these as an upgrade. Seems to be no information or reviews about these anywhere and I love the feel of the older rifle shafts and thought the performance matched me well. I was fitted on the True Temper shaft fit app and they seem interesting just can't find much about them.

Titleist Ts4 9.5* Accra TZ6 M5
Ping G400 5w Motore Speeder VC 7.3x
Mizuno HMB 3 Nippon 120x

Mizuno MP20 4-P Nippon 120x
Cleveland Zipcore 52, 56 Ti S400

Cleveland Rtx 4 60-03 Ti S400
Ping Heppler ZB3
ProV1

Lots of mystique and info lost to time on the history of these. I've done a lot of research and i've gathered that the new Rifle shafts are using all the same formulas but are built with different equipment. The original tools and machines used to create the original Rifle shafts were antiquated and had fallen into disrepair at the time Royal Precision went under and True Temper acquired all the intellectual property. For me personally, i've sourced the old stuff because its nostalgic for me, I couldn't tell you whether the new stuff is any different/better/worse and i'm not sure I could tell in a blind test, but I don't care because I don't need to! :D

You can find old ones on eBay, sometimes NOS if you're really lucky, but if you go that route I recommend avoiding the later production Rifles as apparently their quality started plummeting and all of the rejects got liquidated when they closed. These rejects are apparently mixed in with whatever "new" old rifle shafts are being sold currently so its a bit of a gamble. Look for the old ones that are either still labeled "Brunswick Golf" or carry the "FCM" moniker somewhere. The "newer" old rifles are commonly the "lite" or "flighted" variety and have the Rifle logo with the "O" at the front of the "R" making it look like a barrel.

As far as performance goes though, you're probably just fine with the new ones should you want to order them a dealer. As far as I know there are no real design or bend profile differences.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 20* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

The OP is seeing 2 models of Rifle FCM out there

Its either 44 Tour van blanks or precut discrete length 41 and shorter, thats the old model

The NEW model came 2012 and is a blank of 43", later expanded to discrete length as tapers

There is a slight weight difference from the old to the new, the new is UP vs the old

specs NEW model

https://www.pxshaft.com/products/rifle/

RIFLE is exclusive for True Temper Performance Fitting Center, but any player can buy them there, and PFC center can pre cut, trim or prepare those shafts for the customer as they want them.

https://www.truetemp...fc/#search-form

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

Is there a special way to trim these shafts in taper tips? I just ordered a set from a guy on here as an experiment.

Mizuno HMB 3 Nippon 120x

Ping Heppler ZB3
ProV1

Is there a special way to trim these shafts in taper tips? I just ordered a set from a guy on here as an experiment.

As with most taper tips you can trim a little bit, but not much. Typically the most you can get away with is 1/2" but that can be dangerous in terms of fit. Normally you'd just treat them like any old taper tip shaft and install + butt cut to length. Outside of that it would be more advisable to hard step/soft step if you need to fine tune feel/flex.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 20* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Yeah why are these so limited and hard to find?.......would think they want to sell as many as they can

I played rifles (as many have) and they were great neutral shaft, I would use em again if I could find them bit easier

I posted in the "Wanted to Buy" forum and got a response with in a couple of hours from an individual who has access to these.

Mizuno HMB 3 Nippon 120x

Ping Heppler ZB3
ProV1

Yeah why are these so limited and hard to find?.......would think they want to sell as many as they can

I played rifles (as many have) and they were great neutral shaft, I would use em again if I could find them bit easier

They are neither limited or hard to find, you just need to know where, and thats every True Temper Performance Fitting Center on the globe

here you have them all

https://www.truetemper.com/pfc/#search-form

They are neither limited or hard to find, you just need to know where, and thats every True Temper Performance Fitting Center on the globe

here you have them all

https://www.truetemper.com/pfc/#search-form

meant like every other shaft on ebay or online, lol.....not driving to fitting center......and why is it these have to be done at fitting center anyway, not being sarcastic just it's only shaft I can think of that has this "exclusivity"

I posted in the "Wanted to Buy" forum and got a response with in a couple of hours from an individual who has access to these.

wouldn't mind having that info

Wait are these parallels or tapers? Nvrmnd, seen above there tapers

What do these run like $30-35?......I have no idea

wouldn't mind having that info

Wait are these parallels or tapers? Nvrmnd, seen above there tapers

What do these run like $30-35?......I have no idea

I will send you the name of the user who can get these. They are one of the cheaper shafts you can get price wise.

Mizuno HMB 3 Nippon 120x

Ping Heppler ZB3
ProV1

• 7 months later...

ShaftFit puts me in Rifle 6.5 .... maybe will try them as they're available at the bay now.

I recall playing my best handicap with the old Rifle Flogthed 6.5 , 10 years ago when younger and stringer

ZX5 9.5 Hrdzus RDX Blue 60 6.0

ZX5 13.5 Hrdzus Red 70 6.0
ZX5 18 VEntus Blue w/V 70 Stiff
ZX7 4-Pw Modus120S
ZipCore 52/56/60 Modus125S

Callaway Black Ops (E. Grillo)

The original rifle design is really good. Similar to the current models but to me it had a softer feedback at impact and was an overall easier shaft to swing. I played them for quite a long time before moving to the Project X when it came out.

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

• 4 weeks later...

> @tercoidegw said:

> I bought a set, but CPM readings are confusing. There is 3 CPM difference , is this OK?

> v6ubz1ja9bse.jpg

>

That set is PRE CUT and should NOT be like that if we want them to play to their flex, but dont worry, it can be fixed...3/16" tip trim = 1 CPM

We should start by making all shafts "equal" as start flex , but that also depend on what you want to build...Classic 4/8" SW matched, Classic Flighted SW matched, Custom 3/8"?...

Hi Howard!

Target is 4/8" set (Z783 Srixon irons)

I have built the 7 +1/4" D5 for a testing.

So they had to be within 1CPM error??

This supposed to came from Px directly!!!!

ZX7 4-Pw Modus120S

> @tercoidegw said:

> Hi Howard!

> Target is 4/8" set (Z783 Srixon irons)

> I have built the 7 +1/4" D5 for a testing.

> So they had to be within 1CPM error??

> This supposed to came from Px directly!!!!

PX dont make Rifle, Rifle make PX, but thats another debate

If thats the new model (from 2012) the 5.5 is Tapers but sorting is crap in this case.

If you have a CPM reader, check them. Rifle after 2012 has a flex slope of 8.50 CPM pr inch or 4.25" between play ready clubs with the same SW value. I cant recall CPM difference using the same tip weight as uncut, but if you have heads thats 7.00 grams difference, just use a fishing line in a loop down in the hosel to temporary fix the head for CPM testing and they should measure 4.25 CPM between clubs.

Here is the charts for the new model using a 5.0" clamp. They DONT make wood shafts anymore, they are only added to the chart to show what FCM values a certain CPM is

Standard flight. (4.25 CPM between clubs in 4/8" sets)

rk7s46t65dr7.jpg

Flighted (5.66 CPM between clubs in 4/8" sets - #6 iron is equal to STD)

6hi2vlal3uwe.jpg

D5 as SW should make them 2 CPM softer than the standard chart

mb9mpdylg8ho.jpg

aveu481svrgm.jpg

Supposed to be the new model from eBay's supposed to be authorized seller tourshopfresno

I don't have a CPM reader.

What is that dent dot (under the first 8 in the label) ??? All shafts have one like that.

ZX7 4-Pw Modus120S

> @tercoidegw said:

> mb9mpdylg8ho.jpg

> aveu481svrgm.jpg

>

> Supposed to be the new model from eBay's supposed to be authorized seller tourshopfresno

> I don't have a CPM reader.

> What is that dent dot (under the first 8 in the label) ??? All shafts have one like that.

>

Im not sure what that is, but might be the position the shaft was measured just like color dots is used on PX Graphite. Production code tells this shafts was originally FCM 6.0 - 43.00" long blanks, so the 5.5 model as taper is "soft stepped" 6.0 where the taper is done as the last stage in production. That also explain why 5.5 has gained more weight to the new model than the others.

ihl8cnclkhhy.jpg

> @"Howard Jones" said:

>

> PX dont make Rifle, Rifle make PX, but thats another debate

> If thats the new model (from 2012) the 5.5 is Tapers but sorting is crap in this case.

> If you have a CPM reader, check them. Rifle after 2012 has a flex slope of 8.50 CPM pr inch or 4.25" between play ready clubs with the same SW value. I cant recall CPM difference using the same tip weight as uncut, but if you have heads thats 7.00 grams difference, just use a fishing line in a loop down in the hosel to temporary fix the head for CPM testing and they should measure 4.25 CPM between clubs.

>

>

I dont have a CPM reader, only a DIY deflection measurement. Anyway a 43" 6.0 shaft should cycle 282, according to your table. I dont understand!

ZX7 4-Pw Modus120S

> @"Howard Jones" said:

> Here is the charts for the new model using a 5.0" clamp. They DONT make wood shafts anymore, they are only added to the chart to show what FCM values a certain CPM is

>

> Standard flight. (4.25 CPM between clubs in 4/8" sets)

The #6 shaft is 299

The #5 shaft is 302

So the 3 CPM dfference will make the 5 iron feel 1/2 hardstepped, right?

If I got this right, then I can tip all shafts to aproximate the stiffer one something like 3/16" a CPM

sdr0r72azfpq.png

ZX7 4-Pw Modus120S

> @tercoidegw said:

> > @"Howard Jones" said:

> > Here is the charts for the new model using a 5.0" clamp. They DONT make wood shafts anymore, they are only added to the chart to show what FCM values a certain CPM is

> >

> > Standard flight. (4.25 CPM between clubs in 4/8" sets)

> The #6 shaft is 299

> The #5 shaft is 302

> So the 3 CPM dfference will make the 5 iron feel 1/2 hardstepped, right?

> If I got this right, then I can tip all shafts to aproximate the stiffer one something like 3/16" a CPM

> sdr0r72azfpq.png

>

>

I dont have the base numbers for the new model on this PC, but you should send a e-mail to the seller and let him explain those numbers.

Normally, those labels is the Blank itself, before any tip trim (or taper) is made, but those numbers is way to high for that, but when we build a set, we start from blanks with the same "CPM label at the butt", or we compansate by tip trim on the weakest so they all starts out from the same flex.

Then we enter our blanks start flex (butt labale CPM) , hosel specs, SW value and play lengths, then we get whats called Initial tip trim, so this is "Tip trim stage 2" in those cases we needed to equalize the blanks (if they was variable from TT). Now we can start tip trimming for each iron with 9/16 from club head to club head in sets made to flat SW value and standard flight.

Tapers is made almost the same way.

Blanks should be sorted to sets, then initial tip trim, but we dont know actual hosel specs, so whats used it RIFLEs standard for hosel specs, SW and play lengths, then its tip trim for each head numbers, and at last, they swage the tip to 3.55 in the bottom who becomes .370 6/8" up from the tip.

This is the was most, maybe all OEMs made both parallel and Taper tip RIFLEs, so only sets Custom made by a RIFLE Certified or PFC center was playing to the FCM the labels on the shaft said they are. Other sets would be softer or stronger depending on actual hosel specs, SW and play length.

The only way you can figure out if this blanks is equalized to start with is to measure tip to silk-screen-Label from iron to iron.

If its a constant of 9/16 between clubs....that set is NOT flex matched when they carry those variable CPM labels on the butt, so measure tip to silkscreen label as a start, and ill get the BASE numbers from one of my former students who now runs his own PFC Center in Copenhagen Denmark.

(something does not seem right here...)

Check shaft weight too, they should be 3.20 to 3.21 grams pr. inch

>The only way you can figure out if this blanks is equalized to start with is to measure tip to silk-screen-Label from iron to iron.

Will do.

173s3gc3o4sh.png

something is strange...the heavier are supposed to be the stiffer, and in the 4 is not like that

Today I have tested the 7 iron, 120 balls until a callus started developing in my right hand. It´s been a while since I had this fun at the range. The good thing is that I could use a little stiffer shafts, so there is room for tipping and fix the CPM.

ZX7 4-Pw Modus120S

> @tercoidegw said:

> Tip tp silkscreen measurements. They are all different, so maybe the set is flex matched as you said

> o16d808qzl1v.png

>

Is there no silk screen label with the RIFLE logo above the tip?

On the old tour van blanks, that silk screen was 17.00" inch from the tip on a uncut blank. Tip section was 10 inch, so it was easy to check how a shaft was tip trimmed.

Your set looks like 3-9, not 4-PW , or was the plan to soft step a set 5.5 ?