True Improvement ... With Verifiable Results

2
3

Comments

  • thewralthewral Boston, MA 297WRX Points: 45Handicap: 8.1Members Posts: 297 Greens
    Joined:  #32
    Tried to send you a message but your mailbox is full.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 LST 8.5*, Accra TZ6 M5
    Ping G410 14.5*, Ping Tour X
    Ping G410 2 Hybrid 17*, Tensei Blue 80HY X
    Srixon 785 4-P, PXLZ 6.5
    Fourteen RM-22 Tour 50*, 54*, 58*, Modus3 Tour 120S
    Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Nard_SNard_S  3710WRX Points: 744Handicap: 9Members Posts: 3,710 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #33
    BKN1964 wrote:

    Nard_S wrote:


    I read the same study that ST is referring to. While trying to track it down ( I cannot) came across this:



    https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC2650782/



    It's rather wonky and my eyes glazed reading it but upshot is time and intensity of practice matter a great deal more than at what age one starts. They feel that if proper time and effort is put in most anyone can greatly improve and reach scratch.



    My subjective feeling is that they're off on this a bit. In music, it's imperative to start young, 12 at the latest, the theory is connections between the right and left hemispheres grow stronger and faster in the elasticity of youth. Also as important is the pre-frontal cortex is lagging and not developed so reliance on that part of the brain is minimized, something which is important in musical & sports performance."Being in the zone" so to speak and freely allowing mind to run fast and not get bogged down with "logic".



    But bright side in their study is if you dig in the dirt, brain will fortify connections and true development will occur. It does mean that real time and commitment has to be put in. In youth you have that along with a more malleable brain,in adulthood, you have less of both.




    Quote from the study: "To gain a reasonable handicap of 10–15, at least 5000–10000 practice hours are necessary."



    Assuming you have other obligations once you're in your 20's or later (work, family, etc.): If you can practice 2 hours every weekday evening and 8 hours on each weekend day, it'd take between 3.7 and 7.4 years just to get your index down to the 10-15 range.



    As a 54 yo current 20 index who really started playing seriously 4 years ago, I've got some work to do ...




    I question some of their findings in terms of hours and such. They seemed to be more intent on measuring actual brain function changes as it relates to practicing. I personally do not believe it takes anything near those numbers to go 20-10. 10-0? Maybe yes.
    Posted:
  • ObeeObee  4063WRX Points: 858Handicap: +1ClubWRX Posts: 4,063 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #34
    thewral wrote:


    Tried to send you a message but your mailbox is full.




    Just cleaned it up.
    Posted:
    PING G400 Max - Tour 65 S
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Titleist H1 19* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Titleist H1 23* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S
    Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
    Don Wood Custom Grind 47* PW
    Don Wood Custom Grind 51* GW
    Titleist "Vokey Design" 56* K Grind
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
    Odyssey Works Versa Tank 1W (bent to 78.5*)
  • ObeeObee  4063WRX Points: 858Handicap: +1ClubWRX Posts: 4,063 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #35
    Nard_S wrote:

    BKN1964 wrote:

    Nard_S wrote:


    I read the same study that ST is referring to. While trying to track it down ( I cannot) came across this:



    https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC2650782/



    It's rather wonky and my eyes glazed reading it but upshot is time and intensity of practice matter a great deal more than at what age one starts. They feel that if proper time and effort is put in most anyone can greatly improve and reach scratch.



    My subjective feeling is that they're off on this a bit. In music, it's imperative to start young, 12 at the latest, the theory is connections between the right and left hemispheres grow stronger and faster in the elasticity of youth. Also as important is the pre-frontal cortex is lagging and not developed so reliance on that part of the brain is minimized, something which is important in musical & sports performance."Being in the zone" so to speak and freely allowing mind to run fast and not get bogged down with "logic".



    But bright side in their study is if you dig in the dirt, brain will fortify connections and true development will occur. It does mean that real time and commitment has to be put in. In youth you have that along with a more malleable brain,in adulthood, you have less of both.




    Quote from the study: "To gain a reasonable handicap of 10–15, at least 5000–10000 practice hours are necessary."



    Assuming you have other obligations once you're in your 20's or later (work, family, etc.): If you can practice 2 hours every weekday evening and 8 hours on each weekend day, it'd take between 3.7 and 7.4 years just to get your index down to the 10-15 range.



    As a 54 yo current 20 index who really started playing seriously 4 years ago, I've got some work to do ...




    I question some of their findings in terms of hours and such. They seemed to be more intent on measuring actual brain function changes as it relates to practicing. I personally do not believe it takes anything near those numbers to go 20-10. 10-0? Maybe yes.




    Yeah, those hours are just ranges. Individuals will vary greatly.



    In about two years from starting, I was a 2 handicap. I played 3 - 4 times a week back then and virtually never "practiced." Figure I spent 16 hours a week on golf back then, with most of that time PLAYING golf, so there's a lot of tine when you are not at all hitting shots or doing anything golf-related when you are "golfing." But if you add all those hours together, I went from a beginner to a 2-handicap in about 1700 hours.
    Posted:
    PING G400 Max - Tour 65 S
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Titleist H1 19* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Titleist H1 23* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S
    Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
    Don Wood Custom Grind 47* PW
    Don Wood Custom Grind 51* GW
    Titleist "Vokey Design" 56* K Grind
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
    Odyssey Works Versa Tank 1W (bent to 78.5*)
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolina 30167WRX Points: 6,522Handicap: NONEMembers Posts: 30,167 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Dec 7, 2018 #36
    Those hours don’t make sense. Not as an absolute. I got to 0.8 in 3 years while running and owning a business and adopting my now 10 year old. I am lucky enough to have built a home range. So I can practice with any free second. But still. 10k hours. ? No way.
    Posted:
    TM SIM max 10.8 Fuji Ventus red 6x 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 


  • Krt22Krt22 East Bay 8824WRX Points: 2,499Members Posts: 8,824 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Dec 7, 2018 #37


    Those hours don't make sense. Not as an absolute. I got to 0.8 in 3 years while running and owning a business and adopting my now 10 year old. I am lucky enough to have built a home range. So I can practice with any free second. But still. 10k hours. ? No way.




    There are outliers in every case, you are likely one of them. Wasnt there that one guy who quit his job, with the intent to invest the 10k hours to get to scratch or better. I think he quit at 5k hours or so and never got better than a 5
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • otwotw Doug Ferreri  346WRX Points: 113Members Posts: 346 Greens
    Joined:  #38
    15hdcp to 1 in 18 months age 27. first score under par was 68 . a bit of nerves that day was in uncharted waters ))
    Posted:
    "Only the lazy ones fail !" Paul Bertholy, PGA


    www.dougferreri.com
  • ObeeObee  4063WRX Points: 858Handicap: +1ClubWRX Posts: 4,063 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #39
    jbw749 wrote:


    Obee are you asking for tournament proof to keep the vanity cappers out?




    Really just to make it verifiable. In the UK, "competition rounds" have to be witnessed. Here it's tournament rounds.
    Posted:
    PING G400 Max - Tour 65 S
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Titleist H1 19* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Titleist H1 23* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S
    Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
    Don Wood Custom Grind 47* PW
    Don Wood Custom Grind 51* GW
    Titleist "Vokey Design" 56* K Grind
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
    Odyssey Works Versa Tank 1W (bent to 78.5*)
  • Nard_SNard_S  3710WRX Points: 744Handicap: 9Members Posts: 3,710 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #40


    Those hours don't make sense. Not as an absolute. I got to 0.8 in 3 years while running and owning a business and adopting my now 10 year old. I am lucky enough to have built a home range. So I can practice with any free second. But still. 10k hours. ? No way.




    Yeah again I don't buy the numbers but I posted link to show that there is "hope". You my friend are statistical freak though. You remind me of guy I played with who shot his age one round. Told me he had one lesson, the pro walked away after 10 minutes. Guy could not hit it far at 77 but his P6 was money. Getting from 20-10 can be done with 100-200 hours of the right practice, imo. To scratch for mortals? Several thousand is the bottom if and only if it's not wasted. Some folks hit the lottery on their innate swing, most never come close.
    Posted:
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolina 30167WRX Points: 6,522Handicap: NONEMembers Posts: 30,167 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #41
    Nard_S wrote:



    Those hours don't make sense. Not as an absolute. I got to 0.8 in 3 years while running and owning a business and adopting my now 10 year old. I am lucky enough to have built a home range. So I can practice with any free second. But still. 10k hours. ? No way.




    Yeah again I don't buy the numbers but I posted link to show that there is "hope". You my friend are statistical freak though. You remind me of guy I played with who shot his age one round. Told me he had one lesson, the pro walked away after 10 minutes. Guy could not hit it far at 77 but his P6 was money. Getting from 20-10 can be done with 100-200 hours of the right practice, imo. To scratch for mortals? Several thousand is the bottom if and only if it's not wasted. Some folks hit the lottery on their innate swing, most never come close.




    Yea. I guess so. It’s still all relative. I’m just as frustrated as the 10 wanting to be 5 though. I can see +2-3 over the horizon. I keep riding. But we ain’t there yet. Lol.



    I think it helps that I’m self taught at a lot of things too. Nearly everything. It’s more mindset than anything. In my head. If one human can do it. I can too. Period. ( realistically untrue. But ..... there’s a chance. Lol ).
    Posted:
    TM SIM max 10.8 Fuji Ventus red 6x 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 


  • jbw749jbw749  1151WRX Points: 125Handicap: 3Members Posts: 1,151 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #42
    Obee wrote:

    jbw749 wrote:


    Obee are you asking for tournament proof to keep the vanity cappers out?




    Really just to make it verifiable. In the UK, "competition rounds" have to be witnessed. Here it's tournament rounds.




    I played in a tournament with a +2 who shot 90. We were members at a pretty snooty club about 10 years ago and this guy was not an actual +2 yet he carried a GHIN handicap that said he was. There is a lot of that going on.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • otwotw Doug Ferreri  346WRX Points: 113Members Posts: 346 Greens
    Joined:  #43
    jbw749 wrote:

    Obee wrote:

    jbw749 wrote:


    Obee are you asking for tournament proof to keep the vanity cappers out?




    Really just to make it verifiable. In the UK, "competition rounds" have to be witnessed. Here it's tournament rounds.




    I played in a tournament with a +2 who shot 90. We were members at a pretty snooty club about 10 years ago and this guy was not an actual +2 yet he carried a GHIN handicap that said he was. There is a lot of that going on.
    Hollywood handicaps are alway good paydays image/busted_cop.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':busted_cop:' />
    Posted:
    "Only the lazy ones fail !" Paul Bertholy, PGA


    www.dougferreri.com
  • ObeeObee  4063WRX Points: 858Handicap: +1ClubWRX Posts: 4,063 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #44
    Strolf wrote:
    Can you share with us what sort of research you're conducting? Now THAT would be interesting!




    I want to find any commonality/trends amongst golfers (who have taken the game up as adults) who have gotten to a level where they can play scratch tournaments and actually compete.
    Posted:
    PING G400 Max - Tour 65 S
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Titleist H1 19* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Titleist H1 23* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S
    Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
    Don Wood Custom Grind 47* PW
    Don Wood Custom Grind 51* GW
    Titleist "Vokey Design" 56* K Grind
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
    Odyssey Works Versa Tank 1W (bent to 78.5*)
  • GolfTurkeyGolfTurkey  612WRX Points: 150Members Posts: 612 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #45
    Obee wrote:

    Strolf wrote:
    Can you share with us what sort of research you're conducting? Now THAT would be interesting!




    I want to find any commonality/trends amongst golfers (who have taken the game up as adults) who have gotten to a level where they can play scratch tournaments and actually compete.


    I'm going to take a guess that the answer will be serious talent (really good at other sport), single-mindedness and focus plus often some fortuitous circumstance e.g. very good instructor in the area, able to play a lot with better players etc.
    Posted:
  • psunate08psunate08  208WRX Points: 11Handicap: 2.3Members Posts: 208 Fairways
    Joined:  #46
    I started playing 3 years ago at 26 years old. 29 now and stay around a 2 cap at my home course. Just started playing tournament golf this past summer here in PA. Only played in 3, one day tournaments, shooting in the 70’s, but nothing near the top of the pack. Played baseball all my life, but not in college. I’m self employed, with no kids, so I do have free time to practice at my club often. It’s pretty much my only hobby, so golf is most of my free time. I also work with an instructor for 2 hours every few weeks. Hoping to play more tournament golf in 2019 and get to scratch or plus territory. Feel free to message me if you’d like any further info!
    Posted:
  • Jim WaldronJim Waldron Balance Point Golf Schools  3237WRX Points: 174Sponsors Posts: 3,237 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #47
    I had a female student about a decade ago who had never played golf until the summer beforer her sophomore year at college, but was one of the best high school baseball hitters (fast pitch softball) in the nation. Never read a golf mag or book, never watched golf on tv, never had touched a club.



    Her roomate at college was on the golf team so she ended up hanging with the golf team gals.



    Decided she would give it a try. Played her little rural Oregon 9 hole muni a bunch in that summer and went to the range a few times.



    Totally self taught.



    18 months later she is a legit +2 and came in second in the Oregon Women's Am.



    And could hit it a mile....average around 280 total distance.



    Best self-taught golf swing I and a pro friend of mine have ever seen....not even a close second.



    Became the number one player on her college team basically overnight.



    But struggled with a poor temper and poor putting.



    If she had fixed those two issues she would have ended up on the LPGA Tour.



    She told me that to her, the golf swing was just "my baseball swing bent over at the hips"....which the great Ben Hogan also used to tell folks.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • bobbyjones59bobbyjones59  5WRX Points: 20Members Posts: 5 Bunkers
    Joined:  #48
    Obee wrote:


    Will be responding to a bunch of the posts on here soon. Work has been absolutely crazy lately.




    Didn't realize you worked with all the golf you play.
    Posted:
  • ObeeObee  4063WRX Points: 858Handicap: +1ClubWRX Posts: 4,063 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #49
    Obee wrote:


    Will be responding to a bunch of the posts on here soon. Work has been absolutely crazy lately.




    Didn't realize you worked with all the golf you play.




    Touché. ;-)



    However, I have a full-time job with a 4.5 - 5-hour round-trip commute. :-)
    Posted:
    PING G400 Max - Tour 65 S
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Titleist H1 19* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Titleist H1 23* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S
    Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
    Don Wood Custom Grind 47* PW
    Don Wood Custom Grind 51* GW
    Titleist "Vokey Design" 56* K Grind
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
    Odyssey Works Versa Tank 1W (bent to 78.5*)
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolina 30167WRX Points: 6,522Handicap: NONEMembers Posts: 30,167 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #50
    Very interested in this thread Obee.



    I’m not bonified ( yet ) In larger tournaments. But it’s early yet in my journey.



    My thoughts on the subject.

    I’d say that the guy or gal that can pickup this game and go usually is going to have played another sport or two at a high level. And be one who can pickup anything and do it. Example you take them bowling and they roll a 170 first time out in years. And think nothing of it. Or join a pickup basketball game and after a few minutes they are lighting it up. Having not held a ball in 10 years. Or throwing batting practice for your kids 12 year old team and not hitting anybody or throwing wild pitches. ( harder to do than you’d think ) These are things I just consider normal. But really I’m seeing they aren’t.



    Then I’ll add in this. The idea that golf is simple. Yes. Simple. People make it harder that it needs to be. Even I have been in this trap . But having figured out that I got into the game with this I idea and got away from it has really helped me. It’s just getting the ball in the Hole. It’s not a mythical journey. It’s not an unsolvable riddle. And the trap I fall into is thinking that you have to do it a certain way. Or with certain equipment. You don’t. Score trumps all. Throw fear away. It serves no purpose in this game. Especially when we’re talking shortgame . Biggest thing I see is people who don’t use any speed in their bunker/shortgame play. You have to have speed at the bottom to control the ball. I’ve learned that this applies to putting as well. And my putting has improved greatly since that revelation.



    In short. I think it’s when natural athletic ability meets an unreasonable amount of self confidence. You have to be delusional to start with to get through the times when you don’t have any idea where the ball is going when yoU take it back. In hindsight these times were enough to quit over. But I never once have thought of quitting. Just hit more balls.





    Posted:
    TM SIM max 10.8 Fuji Ventus red 6x 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 


  • ObeeObee  4063WRX Points: 858Handicap: +1ClubWRX Posts: 4,063 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #51
    Love that, BH. I suspect, too, that this is what I will find.
    Posted:
    PING G400 Max - Tour 65 S
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Titleist H1 19* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Titleist H1 23* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S
    Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
    Don Wood Custom Grind 47* PW
    Don Wood Custom Grind 51* GW
    Titleist "Vokey Design" 56* K Grind
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
    Odyssey Works Versa Tank 1W (bent to 78.5*)
  • farmerfarmer  8436WRX Points: 898Members Posts: 8,436 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #52
    Started at 20, could never get to scratch, but was close for years. Never really practiced, just played. Won some little rural tournaments, that's all. My busy time as a real, full time farmer was the warm months, otherwise I'm sure I would have been on tour. Nah, that was just trolling. In reality, I was breaking 90 in a couple of months, which might make me a bit of an outlier.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro AL 3441WRX Points: 367Handicap: +1ClubWRX Posts: 3,441 ClubWRX
    Joined:  edited Dec 10, 2018 #53
    GolfTurkey wrote:

    Obee wrote:

    Strolf wrote:
    Can you share with us what sort of research you're conducting? Now THAT would be interesting!




    I want to find any commonality/trends amongst golfers (who have taken the game up as adults) who have gotten to a level where they can play scratch tournaments and actually compete.


    I'm going to take a guess that the answer will be serious talent (really good at other sport), single-mindedness and focus plus often some fortuitous circumstance e.g. very good instructor in the area, able to play a lot with better players etc.





    It starts with natural hand eye coordination.



    I was just blessed with the ability to puck up swing changes quickly and get the ball in target. I was self educated in the swing. Didn’t get formal lesson until probably 4 years ago. We changed a few things, we kept most of it.



    I played slot of baseball as a kid.



    I suspect this ability to just get ball in target, be a fast learner, emulate others, and hand eye coordination are the keys to adults getting good quickly.
    Posted:
    Taylormade m1 2017 Atmos Black TS
    Taylormade m6 fairway Atmos
    Mizuno JPX 850 2 hybrid 
    Mizuno Hot Metal Pro 4-pw
    Vokey SM7 52/58 wedges 
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m
  • Nard_SNard_S  3710WRX Points: 744Handicap: 9Members Posts: 3,710 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #54
    bogeypro wrote:

    GolfTurkey wrote:

    Obee wrote:

    Strolf wrote:
    Can you share with us what sort of research you're conducting? Now THAT would be interesting!




    I want to find any commonality/trends amongst golfers (who have taken the game up as adults) who have gotten to a level where they can play scratch tournaments and actually compete.


    I'm going to take a guess that the answer will be serious talent (really good at other sport), single-mindedness and focus plus often some fortuitous circumstance e.g. very good instructor in the area, able to play a lot with better players etc.





    It starts with natural hand eye coordination.



    I was just blessed with the ability to puck up swing changes quickly and get the ball in target. I was self educated in the swing. Didn't get formal lesson until probably 4 years ago. We changed a few things, we kept most of it.



    I played slot of baseball as a kid.



    I suspect this ability to just get ball in target, be a fast learner, emulate others, and hand eye coordination are the keys to adults getting good quickly.




    LOL, I have a crapload of hand/eye. I'm a toolmaker and played drums for 2 decades. Body/hand?Body/eye? Meh, not so much.
    Posted:
  • bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro AL 3441WRX Points: 367Handicap: +1ClubWRX Posts: 3,441 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #55
    Nard_S wrote:

    bogeypro wrote:

    GolfTurkey wrote:

    Obee wrote:

    Strolf wrote:
    Can you share with us what sort of research you're conducting? Now THAT would be interesting!




    I want to find any commonality/trends amongst golfers (who have taken the game up as adults) who have gotten to a level where they can play scratch tournaments and actually compete.


    I'm going to take a guess that the answer will be serious talent (really good at other sport), single-mindedness and focus plus often some fortuitous circumstance e.g. very good instructor in the area, able to play a lot with better players etc.





    It starts with natural hand eye coordination.



    I was just blessed with the ability to puck up swing changes quickly and get the ball in target. I was self educated in the swing. Didn't get formal lesson until probably 4 years ago. We changed a few things, we kept most of it.



    I played slot of baseball as a kid.



    I suspect this ability to just get ball in target, be a fast learner, emulate others, and hand eye coordination are the keys to adults getting good quickly.




    LOL, I have a crapload of hand/eye. I'm a toolmaker and played drums for 2 decades. Body/hand?Body/eye? Meh, not so much.




    Drummer! I’m jealous. I always wanted to be a drummer. Played trombone instead. 😆

    Nard_S wrote:

    bogeypro wrote:

    GolfTurkey wrote:

    Obee wrote:

    Strolf wrote:
    Can you share with us what sort of research you're conducting? Now THAT would be interesting!




    I want to find any commonality/trends amongst golfers (who have taken the game up as adults) who have gotten to a level where they can play scratch tournaments and actually compete.


    I'm going to take a guess that the answer will be serious talent (really good at other sport), single-mindedness and focus plus often some fortuitous circumstance e.g. very good instructor in the area, able to play a lot with better players etc.





    It starts with natural hand eye coordination.



    I was just blessed with the ability to puck up swing changes quickly and get the ball in target. I was self educated in the swing. Didn't get formal lesson until probably 4 years ago. We changed a few things, we kept most of it.



    I played slot of baseball as a kid.



    I suspect this ability to just get ball in target, be a fast learner, emulate others, and hand eye coordination are the keys to adults getting good quickly.




    LOL, I have a crapload of hand/eye. I'm a toolmaker and played drums for 2 decades. Body/hand?Body/eye? Meh, not so much.




    Drummer! I’m jealous. I always wanted to be a drummer. Played trombone instead. 😆
    Posted:
    Taylormade m1 2017 Atmos Black TS
    Taylormade m6 fairway Atmos
    Mizuno JPX 850 2 hybrid 
    Mizuno Hot Metal Pro 4-pw
    Vokey SM7 52/58 wedges 
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m
  • scottyc15scottyc15 Houston 82WRX Points: 97Handicap: +3Members Posts: 82 Fairways
    Joined:  #56
    Apologies for bringing back a month old thread, but I would certainly fall into this category.



    I picked up the game at age 19 while I was playing college baseball (I was a pitcher so I had a lot of down time). I'm 31 now, but I didn't start playing tournament golf until I was 25 and it was not pretty. I became pretty addicted to it and just kept working on my game. I won the Houston city amateur a few years later and have since won a few Texas golf association events. Also was medalist in my U.S. Am qualifier in 2017 and played Riviera/Bel-Air. Made it to the round of 32 in the U.S. Mid Am this year. There's just something special about tournament golf and once you figure out your tendencies under pressure (good and bad), being in contention to win is addicting.
    Posted:
  • Lincoln_ArcadiaLincoln_Arcadia We're supposed to be having fun here...yeah, right. So. Cal. 886WRX Points: 117Handicap: 7.4Members Posts: 886 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #57
    Most people I play with started late in life. None of them got to scratch, but a couple started in their 40s and got down to 2-4 range.



    It might simply be that the amount of time and effort fine tuning the swing and practicing is not worth it to the older folks even if they have the talent.



    Most older people don’t have dreams of becoming a pro or even club champion, they’d rather just spend time enjoying golf than turning it into another job.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • ObeeObee  4063WRX Points: 858Handicap: +1ClubWRX Posts: 4,063 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #58
    scottyc15 wrote:
    Apologies for bringing back a month old thread, but I would certainly fall into this category.



    I picked up the game at age 19 while I was playing college baseball (I was a pitcher so I had a lot of down time). I'm 31 now, but I didn't start playing tournament golf until I was 25 and it was not pretty. I became pretty addicted to it and just kept working on my game. I won the Houston city amateur a few years later and have since won a few Texas golf association events. Also was medalist in my U.S. Am qualifier in 2017 and played Riviera/Bel-Air. Made it to the round of 32 in the U.S. Mid Am this year. There's just something special about tournament golf and once you figure out your tendencies under pressure (good and bad), being in contention to win is addicting.




    Love this!!



    Are you mostly self-taught? Or did you take consistent lessons?
    Posted:
    PING G400 Max - Tour 65 S
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Titleist H1 19* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Titleist H1 23* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S
    Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
    Don Wood Custom Grind 47* PW
    Don Wood Custom Grind 51* GW
    Titleist "Vokey Design" 56* K Grind
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
    Odyssey Works Versa Tank 1W (bent to 78.5*)
  • crapulacrapula Golf!  1891WRX Points: 192Handicap: 1.0Members Posts: 1,891 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited Jan 25, 2019 #59
    I don't fully qualify but I might after this year...



    I started at 27 and I've been playing for 10 years. Last year I got to my lowest handicap, 1. I shot under the course rating 5 times, for a total of 8 times since 2015. 2017 was a wash as I was recovering from back surgery, not golf related as it's been injured since I was 18. Was an assistant pro from 2016-2018 and played in some assistant events. I always shot close to my handicap in those events which was about a 4 at the time.



    I play for money and play in skins games. I usually play well and shot a 69 last year in a skins game with about 40 people, made some money.



    This year I'll play in the Illinois Open, I tried a few years ago and missed qualifying by 1 shot, again I was about a 4 handicap and shot a 79.





    My first 5 rounds: Score-121, Differential-64.1; 114, 41.9; 118,40.1; 115, 39.8; 113, 39.3.
    Posted:
    Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 8 Rogue White 60 130MSI X
    Srixon Z F85 15 Atmos Tour 6 Black X
    Srixon Z H85 19 Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
    Srixon Z-FORGED 4-PW Modus3 120 X
    Cleveland RTX-4 50, 54, 58 KBS Tour 120 S
    Huntington Beach Soft 11
    Srixon Yellow ZStar XV
  • scottyc15scottyc15 Houston 82WRX Points: 97Handicap: +3Members Posts: 82 Fairways
    Joined:  #60
    Obee wrote:

    scottyc15 wrote:
    Apologies for bringing back a month old thread, but I would certainly fall into this category.



    I picked up the game at age 19 while I was playing college baseball (I was a pitcher so I had a lot of down time). I'm 31 now, but I didn't start playing tournament golf until I was 25 and it was not pretty. I became pretty addicted to it and just kept working on my game. I won the Houston city amateur a few years later and have since won a few Texas golf association events. Also was medalist in my U.S. Am qualifier in 2017 and played Riviera/Bel-Air. Made it to the round of 32 in the U.S. Mid Am this year. There's just something special about tournament golf and once you figure out your tendencies under pressure (good and bad), being in contention to win is addicting.




    Love this!!



    Are you mostly self-taught? Or did you take consistent lessons?




    I was self-taught up until October of this past year. I didn't seek out an instructor to reinvent the wheel or anything, just wanted some new ideas and to better understand my misses under pressure and how to make a correction on the very next swing.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • BB28403BB28403  4270WRX Points: 747Handicap: This post may not be here soon as moderators may delete it to free up space. Be concerned... you may be next...Members Posts: 4,270 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #61
    thewral wrote:
    Tried to send you a message but your mailbox is full.




    That one never worked on my boss
    Posted:
3

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.