Stack & Tilt’s Grid

UnderPar18UnderPar18 Previously Ecsugolf1Members Posts: 5,623 ✭✭
I really like the idea of Stack & Tilts grid however I find it extremely difficult to trace it (on the follow through). Anyone know of good resource to learn the grid better or is an instructor in person best?

Comments

• PJ1120PJ1120 Posts: 686 ✭✭
    What is the grid?
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,142 ✭✭
    Is stack and tilt still “a thing”? I thought that insane quackery had run its course and went away.

9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • UnderPar18UnderPar18 Previously Ecsugolf1 Members Posts: 5,623 ✭✭

Is stack and tilt still “a thing”? I thought that insane quackery had run its course and went away.

Don’t care if it’s a thing or not...I care to learn more about their grid they used and how to effectively use it.
  • YrrdeadYrrdead Better Living Through Chemistry Members Posts: 1,597 ✭✭
    Golftec instruction is mainly based around the stack and tilt principles. So maybe find one nearby and talk to them?
    G400 Max 9*o w/ RIP Beta
    Steelhead 15*
    Apex 21* Hybrid
    Apex Pro('14)4-P
    Exo #7

PJ1120 wrote:

Yes that’s the concept. The part I struggle with is going from impact the the lines your supposed to follow on the follow through.

Yrrdead wrote:

Golftec instruction is mainly based around the stack and tilt principles. So maybe find one nearby and talk to them?

Good to know, thank you
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,208 ClubWRX
    Yrrdead wrote:

One of the guys in our group is about a year into Golftech and it sure seems they're teaching a S&T move. His left shoulder goes down and his weight starts left and goes further left.

Not that I bought the videos mind you.
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,142 ✭✭
    DavePelz4 wrote:

Yrrdead wrote:

One of the guys in our group is about a year into Golftech and it sure seems they're teaching a S&T move. His left shoulder goes down and his weight starts left and goes further left.

Not that I bought the videos mind you.

Aaaaaahhhhhhh!!! The Horror......the horror....

Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • mdhacker123mdhacker123 Members Posts: 700 ClubWRX
    Has he showed improvement
    driver callaway xhot 2 8.5 S
    irons: callaway xhot 2 4-aw
    Hybrid: Baffler 19deg
    3wood callaway xhot
    putter: Ping scottsdale 2
    wedges: taylormade atv 52 56
  • MysteryVMysteryV Members Posts: 330 ✭✭
    My understanding is that stack and tilt had a lot of things right, particularly with regards to iron play. The place it started falling apart was when they argued against weight shift data in the driver swing.
    Driver: Ping G400 Max w/ Tensei PO
    3 Wood: Epic 3+ w/ GD AD-DI
    Irons: Miura CB-1008 w/ Oban CT-115
    Wedges: Miura Y Grind 51, Miura K Grind 56,60 w/ Modus Wedge
    Putter: Scotty Newport 2 - AOP Oval Track
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,208 ClubWRX

If this is directed at me, yes he has. He's 70, now hits a little 5 yard draw with his driver and probably picked up 10-15 yards from making more centered face contact more consistently.
  • PJ1120PJ1120 Posts: 686 ✭✭
    Dahlquist used to teach S&T after he left Mac. When asked why he left S&T, he said it was because B&P had a different understanding of spin loft. We didn't get into the details. The national director of instruction for Golftek is Nick Clearwater, a former S&T guy who actually put some videos out with Dana.
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,219 ✭✭
    I always wondered why whenever a golf tec guy was on the golf channel, they looked like they were trying to get into some really odd positions.
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • pinhigh27pinhigh27 Members Posts: 9,573 ✭✭
    DavePelz4 wrote:

If this is directed at me, yes he has. He's 70, now hits a little 5 yard draw with his driver and probably picked up 10-15 yards from making more centered face contact more consistently.

Wow clearly it's ruined his game. What a quack system
    How to be in better shape for golf?
    Become a better athlete.
    Don't worry about golf specific.
    Compound lifts w/ linear progress
    Don't forget the mobility work.
    More results, more functional

Spin is not your enemy, everything is a trade-off.
    17 * 1700 goes really far, but doesn't go very straight or consistent
    8* 3500 goes really straight, but doesn't go very far
    Answer for most is somewhere in the middle.
    Pga tour driver avg launch conditions: 11* 2700
    pinhigh27 wrote:

DavePelz4 wrote:

Wow clearly it's ruined his game. What a quack system

Come on boy and girls!! Let’s all learn to reverse pivot!!

Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • mikpgamikpga www.mikedeitersgolf.com Members Posts: 7,347 ✭✭
    edited Dec 5, 2018 #17
    Is Nick a former Stack & Tilt guy?

I'm pretty confident he is a current Authorized Instructor for Stack & Tilt®...
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Can we stick to talking about the grid. I didn’t create the thread to debate stack and tilts merit. 90% of these comments have nothing to do with the grid
  • jhnjhn Members Posts: 21 ✭✭
    Jeff Coston has some Twitter posts about the grid.
  • EtzwaneEtzwane Members Posts: 235 ✭✭
    UnderPar18 wrote:

I really like the idea of Stack & Tilts grid however I find it extremely difficult to trace it (on the follow through). Anyone know of good resource to learn the grid better or is an instructor in person best?

Hard to say without seeing your swing but I can imagine the hips don't work properly. They need to be forward enough, open enough and slanted enough to allow for right tilt in the downswing. Some of the causes I see: right leg pushing up too much (slowing rotation, keeping right hip high, limit hips slide), thrusting the hips too soon (to do the "hips tucked", but too soon), upper body outracing lower body... I find that significantly open feet allow for the leg extensions to drive better the hips (associated with the feel to keep the butt sliding along an imaginary wall behind you in transition).
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,350 ClubWRX
    Head for the hills, build the shack, get off the grid.
  • Matt JMatt J Members Posts: 8,652 ✭✭
    Nice for the math to use a golf ball with a 1.68 inch diameter. Interesting that no matter the club, loft, or length, any where between dead center (a magical place where your "shoulder" dictates is the center of your swing) and 5.06"s forward and 10.12" back in your stance will render the shape you want.

It's all very logical, but it assumes your AoA and face angle doesn't change despite the fact you're hitting a ball in a 16 inch zone. Not realistic IMO.
  • mikpgamikpga www.mikedeitersgolf.com Members Posts: 7,347 ✭✭
  • Florida GatorFlorida Gator Members Posts: 1,017 ✭✭
    UnderPar18 wrote:

Can we stick to talking about the grid. I didn’t create the thread to debate stack and tilts merit. 90% of these comments have nothing to do with the grid

I was a 16 cap then learned S&T, now I’m a 5 with my home club being a US Open Sectional Qualifying site. I don’t practice, don’t have the time to really warm up before I play, and I have time for one round a week. I’m not sure why everyone craps on S&T and really don’t care, my guess is that they lack a full understanding of it and don’t care enough to learn something new. If you legitimately want to get better with your ball striking it’s worth the effort to learn. I do agree with the driver arguement, it is better for me to keep my weight balanced on the backswing with the driver.

Learn the grid, the video from the link posted above will get you in the ballpark, then learn the circles and arcs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file