Gary Woodland's new Wilson irons

124678
8

Comments

  • fredmgfredmg  80Members Posts: 80
    Joined:  #92
    the bishop wrote:

    fredmg wrote:


    Wow. 10 clubs. Wouldn't have guessed that many but good for W/S. Will be interesting to see how that bag evolves this year.




    The article says he has a Cortex in Hawaii (but looks like he's sticking with the G400 for now).
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • theedge27theedge27  611Members Posts: 611
    Joined:  edited Jan 3, 2019 4:16pm #93
    In the article it said Woodland and Wilson were in talks a few years back then he signed with UA. What would a clothing deal have to do with clubs?
    Posted:
  • the bishopthe bishop  3543Members Posts: 3,543
    Joined:  #94
    cvhookem63 wrote:


    KhKqDhd.jpg


    OMG he has a wire club brush on that bag! Poser!
    Posted:
    W/S Cortex 10.5* 
    Cally X-Hot 15* 
    W/S C300 20*/23*
    W/S FG Tour Forged 5-P
    W/S PMP RAW 52/56/60
    W/S Infinite Windy City
  • SwingManSwingMan SwingMan  6800Members Posts: 6,800
    Joined:  edited Jan 3, 2019 8:28pm #95


    What's that black iron, training aid or DI?




    If no one has answered, looks like a Gabe Golf Training Club.



    Has beads in the shaft that run up and down.
    Posted:
    "My swing is so bad, I look like a caveman killing his lunch" - Lee Trevino

    Bag: Ping G400 Max/TPT Golf Series 17 ● Exotics EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd ● PXG 0317 4H/Tensei CK Pro Red 70 ● Mizuno 919F 5-GW/Accra i80 ● Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56ES, 60SS ●Evnroll ER8
  • tomastomatoheadtomastomatohead  517Members Posts: 517 BST Banned
    Joined:  #96
    maybe will hit the D7 3 Wood that is on tour as well.
    Posted:
  • PapaJohickPapaJohick ShortKnocker Bombs Charleston, SC 4590Members Posts: 4,590
    Joined:  #97
    theedge27 wrote:


    In the article it said Woodland and Wilson were in talks a few years back then he signed with UA. What would a clothing deal have to do with clubs?




    I would assume that Wilson wanted a player that could/would wear their clothing/logo as well. That’s what tv sees more than some irons.
    Posted:
    Forever Changing at this point.......

    TG2 Podcast Guest: 
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Steel DilloSteel Dillo  199Members Posts: 199
    Joined:  #98
    I was listening to pga radio on the way home from work & I could’ve swore that I heard the announcer say that he had the Cortex in the bag.
    Posted:
  • Puttfordough91Puttfordough91  117Banned Posts: 117
    Joined:  #99


    I was listening to pga radio on the way home from work & I could’ve swore that I heard the announcer say that he had the Cortex in the bag.


    That’s what Wilson wants you to think
    Posted:
    TBD
    Tour issue 2017 m2 tour shaft tbd
    Nike vapor fly pro 3 fuji pro 115 ts
    4-9 jpx 919 tour c taper x
    Vokey 48 52 56 60 kbs c taper/hi rev
    Scotty buttonback newport 2
  • andrieddleandrieddle  1813Members Posts: 1,813
    Joined:  #100
    10 clubs deal, 8 on the irons already....wedges then done?
    Posted:
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Cobra Fly Z+ (11)
    Cobra Bio Cell 4W (16)
    TaylorMade R15 4H (21)
    FourteeN TC 606 (5-P/A)

    Bridgestone J15 (50)
    Callaway MD2 (56/60)
    Odyssey EXO 7S[/font]
  • getair23getair23  2127Members Posts: 2,127
    Joined:  #101
    This was on LinkedIn and Yahoo this morning from Tim Clarke. Long term they also want him to switch to a Wilson ball.



    “There are some incentives for him to use the driver.,” said Wilson Golf president Tim Clarke. “He has been playing with Cortex quite a bit of late and one of the goals is to hopefully have him put that in play in competition. I know Ron Graham, our PGA Tour manager, was in Hawaii with him doing little tweaks on some things with it, making some weight adjustments.”

    Clarke also said that at some point it was a possibility that Woodland—whom Clarke had targeted a few years ago for a deal—could be in a Wilson ball.
    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 9.5  HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5TX 
    Titleist TS2 15 Aldila Rogue 70x 
    Srixon Z 745 (4-9) Z 945 (pw) KBS tour-x
    Fourteen RM 21 50* KBS Tour FLT 130-x
    Bettinardi "The Hive" Black 54* and 60* KBS Tour FLT 130-x
    Edel 64* Modus 125x
    Titleist Studio Design 2
    Pro V1
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! Iowa 18905ClubWRX Posts: 18,905
    Joined:  edited Jan 4, 2019 8:03am #102
    getair23 wrote:


    This was on LinkedIn and Yahoo this morning from Tim Clarke. Long term they also want him to switch to a Wilson ball.



    “There are some incentives for him to use the driver.,” said Wilson Golf president Tim Clarke. “He has been playing with Cortex quite a bit of late and one of the goals is to hopefully have him put that in play in competition. I know Ron Graham, our PGA Tour manager, was in Hawaii with him doing little tweaks on some things with it, making some weight adjustments.”

    Clarke also said that at some point it was a possibility that Woodland—whom Clarke had targeted a few years ago for a deal—could be in a Wilson ball.




    "Incentives", lol, which means Tim on his knees begging didn't work. Actually I'd be interested to see him play it and see how that would work out, but incentives likely aren't doing much if Woodland doesn't think it performs to what he needs.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • freddiedavis65freddiedavis65 Gadsden, AL 82Members Posts: 82
    Joined:  #103
    Prettay prettay cool
    Posted:
  • getair23getair23  2127Members Posts: 2,127
    Joined:  #104
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

    getair23 wrote:


    This was on LinkedIn and Yahoo this morning from Tim Clarke. Long term they also want him to switch to a Wilson ball.



    “There are some incentives for him to use the driver.,” said Wilson Golf president Tim Clarke. “He has been playing with Cortex quite a bit of late and one of the goals is to hopefully have him put that in play in competition. I know Ron Graham, our PGA Tour manager, was in Hawaii with him doing little tweaks on some things with it, making some weight adjustments.”

    Clarke also said that at some point it was a possibility that Woodland—whom Clarke had targeted a few years ago for a deal—could be in a Wilson ball.




    "Incentives", lol, which means Tim on his knees begging didn't work. Actually I'd be interested to see him play it and see how that would work out, but incentives likely aren't doing much if Woodland doesn't think it performs to what he needs.


    [background=transparent]I totally agree. Would love to know what those incentives are, and to see GW playing the Cortex with an x-100 in it.[/background]
    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 9.5  HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5TX 
    Titleist TS2 15 Aldila Rogue 70x 
    Srixon Z 745 (4-9) Z 945 (pw) KBS tour-x
    Fourteen RM 21 50* KBS Tour FLT 130-x
    Bettinardi "The Hive" Black 54* and 60* KBS Tour FLT 130-x
    Edel 64* Modus 125x
    Titleist Studio Design 2
    Pro V1
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolina 28592Members Posts: 28,592
    Joined:  #105
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

    getair23 wrote:


    This was on LinkedIn and Yahoo this morning from Tim Clarke. Long term they also want him to switch to a Wilson ball.



    “There are some incentives for him to use the driver.,” said Wilson Golf president Tim Clarke. “He has been playing with Cortex quite a bit of late and one of the goals is to hopefully have him put that in play in competition. I know Ron Graham, our PGA Tour manager, was in Hawaii with him doing little tweaks on some things with it, making some weight adjustments.”

    Clarke also said that at some point it was a possibility that Woodland—whom Clarke had targeted a few years ago for a deal—could be in a Wilson ball.




    "Incentives", lol, which means Tim on his knees begging didn't work. Actually I'd be interested to see him play it and see how that would work out, but incentives likely aren't doing much if Woodland doesn't think it performs to what he needs.




    I’ll add. The human brain is a funny thing. Here’s how that works.



    Big hitter. Knows he can beat 98% of the guys out there with distance. Played s TM driver forever because it’s known as “ the best “. Recently went to ping driver after several other big hitters did so and had success.



    The TM driver works because you are perceived to be playing the best. When you hit a dud with the best you say “ well that was a terrible swing. I’ll do better “.



    Now think of the Wilson stick. It’s likely just as good as anything. But. It actually needs to be better to get the brain to accept it. Why ? Because if he puts it in play and has a few bad holes. Or a round where someone who he normally outdrives or Keeps up with blows several by him , he suddenly “ blames” the driver. This blame is possible because of the inferior perception. You can’t blame the TM driver for that. Why ? “ it’s the best “. You mind is conditioned to accept that. To get him to play a cortex it needs to be a perfect fit that will get him enough good pictures to fight the urge to swap back when he Hits a stinker. .
    Posted:
    Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  4-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  50  54 60 s400
    Cameron ICC prototype CT Fastback Armlock.  42 inch with jumbo max 17 inch  grip.   


  • mukstermukster A lot can happen in a year. North of the 49th 3627Members Posts: 3,627
    Joined:  #106
    Woodland: " I need this driver to feel more like the G400, I also need 100rpm less spin, I need my launch angle up by 0.5 degrees and I want my land angle to be closer to 36 degrees."



    Wilson engineer: "...........well...............well...........we can build in some trabecular technology....we use a variety of bio-inspired algorithms?....."
    Posted:
    Callaway XR16 driver, 9 degrees, Diamana S+ shaft
    Cobra Baffler Rail H 17* hybrid, 
    Cobra F8 22* hybrid
    Srixon Z565 4 iron Srixon Z765 5-PW irons, KBS Tour V shafts
    Srixon A wedge 51° bent to 50°
    Hogan Equalizer 54* wedge
    Mizuno S18 58* wedge
    Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter
  • DON SVODON SVO Hacker in progress...  1125Lefty Boomers Posts: 1,125
    Joined:  #107
    theedge27 wrote:


    In the article it said Woodland and Wilson were in talks a few years back then he signed with UA. What would a clothing deal have to do with clubs?




    The jerk in me says that the UA contract paid enough to let Woodland keep playing whatever clubs he wanted... now that he's not with UA, a contractual staff position with Wilson suddenly became quite interesting.
    Posted:
    A bag of left-handed junk.
    Driver: 2016 Taylormade M2 Kai'li 70x
    3W: TM R11 15* Kai'li 80x
    2H: Adams Super XTD Project X blue 6.5
    3H: Adams Super XTD Aldila Proto 95x
    4-PW: Mizuno MP-32 satin PX 6.5
    59, 56, 53: Callaway Mack Daddy, PX 6.0
    Cameron Newport 1.5
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Steel DilloSteel Dillo  199Members Posts: 199
    Joined:  #108
    86% GIR over 2 rounds at Kapalua.



    They seem to be getting the job done.
    Posted:
  • 3woodvt3woodvt 5 test drives for clubface contact. #footpowder  1628Members Posts: 1,628
    Joined:  #109
    Woodland is a stud!
    Posted:
    Cobra F9 8.0 Atmos TS Black7x
    Cobra F8+ 13.5 Aldila7x
    Adams A12 19* VTS Proforce 100hs
    Srixon Z945 4-PW KBS Tour 120s
    Cleveland 2.0 51**,55**,59*
    Ping Zing TR
    Srixon Z
  • craz-ecraz-e  4259Members Posts: 4,259
    Joined:  #110
    Irons seem to be performing nicely!
    Posted:
    Driver = Ping G410 Plus even flow black 6.0
    4 wood = Titleist TS2 Even flow white 6.0
    3 iron = Titleist U500 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
    Irons = Titleist 718 CB/MB Project X LZ 6.0
    Wedges = Titleist Vokey SM6 52*, 56*
                  = Ping Glide 3.0 eye 2 60* 
    Putter = Wilson Staff 8882
    Ball = Titleist AVX
  • wldchld22wldchld22  3369Members Posts: 3,369
    Joined:  #111
    Does UA bar other sponsorships the way NIKE used to back in the day?
    Posted:
  • theedge27theedge27  611Members Posts: 611
    Joined:  #112
    wldchld22 wrote:


    Does UA bar other sponsorships the way NIKE used to back in the day?




    My guess is no. Unless Speith got special treatment.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • jj9000jj9000  2704ClubWRX Posts: 2,704
    Joined:  #113
    mukster wrote:


    Woodland: " I need this driver to feel more like the G400, I also need 100rpm less spin, I need my launch angle up by 0.5 degrees and I want my land angle to be closer to 36 degrees."



    Wilson engineer: "...........well...............well...........we can build in some trabecular technology....we use a variety of bio-inspired algorithms?....."




    I wouldn't assume Wilson engineers could do jack right around now.



    The fact that Wilson is relying on a reality TV show for their Driver R&D tells me how far behind they are in the arms race.
    Posted:
  • jmckjmck  4469Members Posts: 4,469
    Joined:  #114
    jj9000 wrote:
    mukster wrote:


    Woodland: " I need this driver to feel more like the G400, I also need 100rpm less spin, I need my launch angle up by 0.5 degrees and I want my land angle to be closer to 36 degrees."



    Wilson engineer: "...........well...............well...........we can build in some trabecular technology....we use a variety of bio-inspired algorithms?....."




    I wouldn't assume Wilson engineers could do jack right around now.



    The fact that Wilson is relying on a reality TV show for their Driver R&D tells me how far behind they are in the arms race.




    Pretty sure that show is a line item under “marketing,” not “R&D.”
    Posted:
  • jj9000jj9000  2704ClubWRX Posts: 2,704
    Joined:  #115
    jmck wrote:

    jj9000 wrote:
    mukster wrote:


    Woodland: " I need this driver to feel more like the G400, I also need 100rpm less spin, I need my launch angle up by 0.5 degrees and I want my land angle to be closer to 36 degrees."



    Wilson engineer: "...........well...............well...........we can build in some trabecular technology....we use a variety of bio-inspired algorithms?....."




    I wouldn't assume Wilson engineers could do jack right around now.



    The fact that Wilson is relying on a reality TV show for their Driver R&D tells me how far behind they are in the arms race.




    Pretty sure that show is a line item under “marketing,” not “R&D.”




    Semantics.



    The show itself is a Marketing ploy.



    The engineering, development, and testing is R&D.



    Marketing =/= engineering, development, testing.
    Posted:
  • GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, Florida 2234Members Posts: 2,234
    Joined:  #116
    Apologies for going there, but Shiels can basically game whatever he wants and chooses Wilson irons over everything else. They have always produced great irons and wedges. I have no idea why they waste time on Drivers.
    Posted:
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus w/Tensei Orange
    3 Wood: Currently taking applications
    5 Wood: Currently taking applications
    Hybrid: Callaway Epic 4 Hybrid w/Recoil F4
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and 58
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Bridgestone BX
  • jmckjmck  4469Members Posts: 4,469
    Joined:  #117
    jj9000 wrote:
    jmck wrote:

    jj9000 wrote:
    mukster wrote:


    Woodland: " I need this driver to feel more like the G400, I also need 100rpm less spin, I need my launch angle up by 0.5 degrees and I want my land angle to be closer to 36 degrees."



    Wilson engineer: "...........well...............well...........we can build in some trabecular technology....we use a variety of bio-inspired algorithms?....."




    I wouldn't assume Wilson engineers could do jack right around now.



    The fact that Wilson is relying on a reality TV show for their Driver R&D tells me how far behind they are in the arms race.




    Pretty sure that show is a line item under “marketing,” not “R&D.”




    Semantics.



    The show itself is a Marketing ploy.



    The engineering, development, and testing is R&D.



    Marketing =/= engineering, development, testing.




    Wilson could buy TM with the change in their couch, so I think you can stop worrying about their R&D budget.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • SwingManSwingMan SwingMan  6800Members Posts: 6,800
    Joined:  #118
    jj9000 wrote:

    mukster wrote:


    Woodland: " I need this driver to feel more like the G400, I also need 100rpm less spin, I need my launch angle up by 0.5 degrees and I want my land angle to be closer to 36 degrees."



    Wilson engineer: "...........well...............well...........we can build in some trabecular technology....we use a variety of bio-inspired algorithms?....."




    I wouldn't assume Wilson engineers could do jack right around now.



    The fact that Wilson is relying on a reality TV show for their Driver R&D tells me how far behind they are in the arms race.




    Well, those guys don't look like AI
    Posted:
    "My swing is so bad, I look like a caveman killing his lunch" - Lee Trevino

    Bag: Ping G400 Max/TPT Golf Series 17 ● Exotics EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd ● PXG 0317 4H/Tensei CK Pro Red 70 ● Mizuno 919F 5-GW/Accra i80 ● Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56ES, 60SS ●Evnroll ER8
  • matt70286matt70286  380Members Posts: 380
    Joined:  #119
    Does anyone know what 3 wood he is using?
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 9 degree - Kuro Kage Dual Core TiNi 60X
    Ping G400 3 wood - UST Mamiya VTS Silver SX
    TaylorMade UDI 3 iron - GD AD DI 95X
    Titleist 718 AP2 4-PW - Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno T7 52, 56, 60 - DG
    Evnroll ER2
  • Puttfordough91Puttfordough91  117Banned Posts: 117
    Joined:  edited Jan 6, 2019 12:04am #120
    Posted:
    TBD
    Tour issue 2017 m2 tour shaft tbd
    Nike vapor fly pro 3 fuji pro 115 ts
    4-9 jpx 919 tour c taper x
    Vokey 48 52 56 60 kbs c taper/hi rev
    Scotty buttonback newport 2
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • grm24grm24 Western PA 3800Members Posts: 3,800
    Joined:  edited Jan 6, 2019 10:42am #121
    jj9000 wrote:


    The fact that Wilson is relying on a reality TV show for their Driver R&D tells me how far behind they are in the arms race.
    That must come as news to both Wilson and Troy Merritt who won on the PGA Tour last year with a Wilson Staff D300 driver, Wilson FG Tour V4 Utility iron, FG Tour V6 raw iron set and Staff FG Tour PMP wedges. I think what is behind the times is how people including yourself perceive other OEM clubs in the "arms race". Expand your point of view. You might be surprised.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
8

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file