Steve Stricker testing the New Callaway Flash driver

Comments

• grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,015 ✭✭
    Callaway used the green colorway on the Razr Fit Xtreme drivers from 4-5 years back.

c700x420.jpg
  • GSDriverGSDriver Members Posts: 580 ✭✭
    grm24 wrote:

Callaway used the green colorway on the Razr Fit Xtreme drivers from 4-5 years back.

c700x420.jpg

Still have a Tour Authentic RF Xtreme, was an impressive driver in its day.
    Epic Speeder 661
    Rogue 4 Wood Evenflow 75 Blue
    Epic Hybrids 3/4/5
    Apex Pro 6-P Recoil 110 F4
    MD Slate Forged 52
    PM Grind 56/60
    Odyssey 7S
    All grips except putter are Iomic Sticky 2.3
  • GSDriverGSDriver Members Posts: 580 ✭✭
    gripandrip wrote:

Why? With the Rogue supposedly better than the current EPIC (why else would they bring it out... image/stink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':stink:' /> ), why bring out another version of the old model? Is the sliding weight in the back that much in demand that they were losing sales with the non-sliding weight Rogue? I've never played a driver with the sliding weight... never saw the need, but that's just me.

I have a older, "inferior" Epic Sub Zero. Wouldn't trade it for a Rogue... I prefer the EPIC SZ.

IIRC the Rogue was introduced to improve 'forgiveness' as apparently some didn't find the Epic forgiving enough. I still play my Epic, didn't care for Rogue look at address so never bothered to hit one, but I will definitely be giving the Flash a test drive.
    Epic Speeder 661
    Rogue 4 Wood Evenflow 75 Blue
    Epic Hybrids 3/4/5
    Apex Pro 6-P Recoil 110 F4
    MD Slate Forged 52
    PM Grind 56/60
    Odyssey 7S
    All grips except putter are Iomic Sticky 2.3
  • pcs11pcs11 Members Posts: 1,151 ✭✭
    grm24 wrote:

c700x420.jpg

That thing was awesome. Also, it was one of the nicest looking drivers at address.
    Honma 727 430 10.5° - UST Elements Chrome 65
    Callaway XHot 3Deep 14.5 ° - KuroKage Tini Proto 70
    Callaway X2Hot Pro 19° - Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75
    Mizuno MP 18 FliHi (3-4) - Accra i100
    Mizuno MP 54 (5-9) - Accra i100
    Vokey 46° 52° 58° - KBS Tour 115
    Bettinardi BBF1 or Bettinardi Kuch2
  • BRM569BRM569 Hi Members Posts: 382 ✭✭
    I have an Epic Flash SZ head in my hands if anyone is interested in more pictures image/dntknw.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':dntknw:' />
    Ping G400 Max 9° - Tour AD BB6X
    Ping G410 LST 14.5° - Ping Tour 75X
    Mizuno HiFli 2iron - UST Recoil 95
    Mizuno MP18-SC 4-6 - DG 120 X100
    Mizuno MP18 7-PW - DG 120 X100
    Mizuno S18 - 50°, 54°, 58° - DG 120 X100
    Toulon Garage Austin / Scotty Newport 2 ButtonBack / Ping Vault 2.0
    Double Gee wrote:

3 Jack Par wrote:

gripandrip wrote:

Why? With the Rogue supposedly better than the current EPIC (why else would they bring it out... image/stink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':stink:' /> ), why bring out another version of the old model? Is the sliding weight in the back that much in demand that they were losing sales with the non-sliding weight Rogue? I've never played a driver with the sliding weight... never saw the need, but that's just me.

I have a older, "inferior" Epic Sub Zero. Wouldn't trade it for a Rogue... I prefer the EPIC SZ.

The idea behind the Flash is more than just adding a sliding weight to an Epic SZ. The big difference is suppose to be the technology in the face. People who have tested it are claiming ~4 mph gains in ball speed. I haven't hit it, so I can't attest to the accuracy of these reports, but I'm interested to try it. Also, unless I'm mistaken, the Rogue line was supposed to be the replacement for the XR line, not the Epic. I believe the retail price for the Epic line wasn't dropped last year when the Rogue was introduced.

Surely with the rules and regs about driver performance, how can extra mph be achieved?

I understand extra speed away from centre but these claims from any manufacturers must be taken with a pinch of salt, surely ?

It's all about "variable face thickness" with the Flash face. I've seen the back of it, it looks like a lumpy mess and seems to have no rhyme or reason as to why its thicker or thinner is some spots compared to others but Callaway basically told an IBM Watson (artificial intelligence) type super computer to develop a face the achieves the maximum ball speed across all areas of the face...and that's how we now have the "Flash Face"
  • radimanradiman Members Posts: 4,638 ✭✭
    BRM569 wrote:

I have an Epic Flash SZ head in my hands if anyone is interested in more pictures image/dntknw.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':dntknw:' />

Uh, yes please? image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I would love to see a good quality pic of the crown and maybe even the face straight on to get an idea how deep it is. If it isn't too much trouble that is.
    Callaway Epic Flash 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
    Titleist 917 F3 15* Tensei Pro Blue 70 TX
    Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
    Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 35"
    Callaway MD3 54, 60, 64
    All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag
  • SwingBluesSwingBlues We are the Old Dark Navy Blues Members Posts: 3,437 ✭✭
    BRM569 wrote:

Is the **** in weight in your EF SZ the same as in the Rogue SZ? What about the sliding weight, same back end as the Epic GBB? Can you check and compare them?
    Callaway Epic Flash SubZero 9*, Fujikura Ventus 6-S finished 44.5"
    Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft
    Taylormade UDI 2 iron, 18* KBS C-Taper Lite

Taylormade P790 4-PW, Nippon Modus 3 105 with ProSoft inserts, Grip Master Perforated leather grips
    Ben Hogan 2018 Equalizer 48* and 52* Forged wedges
    Nike Engage Toe Sweep 56* wedge
    Directed Force Reno "2.05" with BGT Stability shaft (Presse V tweaked)

Ball: Srixon XV
    Swing: PPGS, a Surgite !!!
    Here you go. Let me know if there is another shot you want.

BRM569 wrote:

Awesome. Thanks a lot! Love the look at address. So much better than the Rogue SZ.
    Callaway MD3 54, 60, 64
  • gripandripgripandrip Members Posts: 962 ✭✭
    BRM569 wrote:

Double Gee wrote:

3 Jack Par wrote:

gripandrip wrote:

The idea behind the Flash is more than just adding a sliding weight to an Epic SZ. The big difference is suppose to be the technology in the face. People who have tested it are claiming ~4 mph gains in ball speed. I haven't hit it, so I can't attest to the accuracy of these reports, but I'm interested to try it. Also, unless I'm mistaken, the Rogue line was supposed to be the replacement for the XR line, not the Epic. I believe the retail price for the Epic line wasn't dropped last year when the Rogue was introduced.

Surely with the rules and regs about driver performance, how can extra mph be achieved?

I understand extra speed away from centre but these claims from any manufacturers must be taken with a pinch of salt, surely ?

It's all about "variable face thickness" with the Flash face. I've seen the back of it, it looks like a lumpy mess and seems to have no rhyme or reason as to why its thicker or thinner is some spots compared to others but Callaway basically told an IBM Watson (artificial intelligence) type super computer to develop a face the achieves the maximum ball speed across all areas of the face...and that's how we now have the "Flash Face"

I guess I will have to hit this and check it out. Thanks for all the insight. I got to agree with a few other posters that the color scheme is a bit "busy". (Nothing against the North Star fans! ... image/derisive.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':derisive:' /> )
  • Kenny Lee PuckettKenny Lee Puckett Members Posts: 3,460 ✭✭
    avis-car-rentals-the-professionals-featuring-steve-stricker-large-9.jpg

"I'm a savage"
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]PING G LST: Ping Tour 80
    PING Anser 4wd: Accra S380 RT
    PXG 0317: Fujikura Rombax 8D07HB
    PING i500 4 iron: D.G. 120
    PING S55 5-PW: D.G. Tour Issue
    PING Glide 2.0 50/54/58: D.G. Tour Issue
    PING Darby F Ti Pixel: SS 2.0 Mid
    PING: Sensor Glove, Ping 703 Cord grips
    PING: Hoofer Bag
    TaylorMade: TP5 & TP5x ball

WITB photos: [/font]
    http://www.golfwrx.c...uckett-witb-19/
  •  SwooshLT SwooshLT Members Posts: 6,991 ✭✭
    BRM569 wrote:

Thank you for the pics! This looks amazing.....says sub zero on head; will there be a std head?
    SwooshLT wrote:

BRM569 wrote:

Thank you for the pics! This looks amazing.....says sub zero on head; will there be a std head?

Yes, both now have the sliding weight.

One thing to note is the SZ head came with a heavier weight for the track system. Not sure exactly of what it weighs but can throw it on a gram scale later.
  • WarrickWarrick ClubWRX Posts: 10,246 ClubWRX
    That is a good looking head, fairly subtle at address. If the shape is right and it performs, anything else can be dealt with.
    F9 9* Atmos Black TS7
    F9 Tour 3w\13.5 - Smoke 75
    F9 Tour 5w\17.5- Smoke 75
    Epic hybrid - 22* Pro White 90
    Mizuno 919 combo 5-P - PX LZ 6.0
    Mizuno T7 - 48-53-58 - PX LZ 6.5
    Custom V-Line Fang
    TM TP5X
    SwingBlues wrote:

BRM569 wrote:

Is the **** in weight in your EF SZ the same as in the Rogue SZ? What about the sliding weight, same back end as the Epic GBB? Can you check and compare them?

I don't have my Rogue in front of me at the moment but the front weights are at least cosmetically different. They may be able to swap, but not sure. I had the Epic SZ (no sliding weight) so I can't easily compare as I don't have that driver any more but they sure do look similar.
  • Stout1Stout1 Members Posts: 19
    Looks very pear... dare I say Titleistlike from address. Have an Epic sub zero that is working for me, but that profile is pleasing to the eye for sure. May have to test versus all the other new stiff in spring.
    Taylormade 16’ M2 Driver 9.5 GD Tour AD-DI 7X First Black Edition
    Taylormade 16’ Tour Issue T3 14.0 GD Tour AD-GP Black Edition
    Taylormade 16’ Tour Issue HL 17.3 GD Tour AD-GP Black Edition
    Titleist 716 TM-B 3 Iron Tour AD-DI 85X Orange Edition
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-9 S300
    Titleist SM6 46.08 F Grind
    Titleist SM6 52.08 F Grind
    Titleist SM6 58.12 K Grind
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport Black
    Titleist Japan Staff Bag
  • NokeNoke Members Posts: 2,083 ✭✭
    BRM569 wrote:

Double Gee wrote:

3 Jack Par wrote:

gripandrip wrote:

Now this is what I want to know (and I'm sure we will soon). If the Flash Face is a departure from typical variable thickness face designs and actually works better, it could be an important tech advance.
    It does look very FT Tour-ish. Now, I can't wait to hold it in hand. It's times like this that I worked in the golf industry to get this kind of insider access.
    Callaway MD3 54, 60, 64
    radiman wrote:

It does look very FT Tour-ish. Now, I can't wait to hold it in hand. It's times like this that I worked in the golf industry to get this kind of insider access.

One of the perks!
  • buckeyeflbuckeyefl Members Posts: 5,363 ✭✭
    Looks like a much more pleasing shape that the last two releases.
  • tyorke1tyorke1 Members Posts: 2,176 ✭✭
    looks good
    m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s ,
    m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x ,
    816 h1 hybrid 19 degree ,speeder tour spec
    taylor p790 17 degree
    callaway apex pro c-taper stiff 
    vokey 52--56--60
    taylormade spider tour dj versionr
    epic green staff bag or titleist cart bag
  • gpleonardgpleonard New Smyrna Beach, FloridaMembers Posts: 1,221 ✭✭
    Count me a looking forward to trying out the Epic Flash. Like everything I have seen and read. Our club has a Demo Day in late January and the Epic Flash is hopefully going to be there.
    Gil Leonard
  • 4rheel4rheel OC, CaliforniaMembers Posts: 1,797 ✭✭
    radiman wrote:

Which isn't a bad thing in my book. FT-tour was one of the last Callaway drivers I liked.
  • bigeasybigeasy Bigeasy Members Posts: 1,158 ✭✭

I know color is subjective but ****, black, green and yellow? Yikes.
    Just a matter of time before the custom colors are available.
    Cobra F6+ Graphite Design ADDI-6S 10D
    Cobra Flyz+ 14.5 degree, Aldila Tour Blue 75 stiff
    Taylormade M1 19* hybrid
    Ping I 25 4-PW ZZ65 cushin
    Titleist SM6F Grind 50*, SM6 S Grind 55* SM6 59* S Grind S-300
    Scotty Cameron GOLO 5 SS tour 2.0
     Srixon Z star, TP5, Prov1
    USGA Handicap 6.2
    GolfPride MCC Plus 4 and Tour Velvet Plus 4

USA! Love it or leave it!
  • ajs72287ajs72287 Members Posts: 182 ✭✭
    BRM569 wrote:

These pics are excellent...thanks for giving the rest of us a sneak peak!!
    Ping G400 LST 8.5 Graphite Design Tour ADTP 6S
    Callaway Rogue 15 Degree Project X Evenflow
    Titleist 818 19 Degree Graphite Design Tour ADDI 85S
    2018 Callaway X-Forged 4-pw Nippon Pro Modus 120s
    Edel Custom 51, 56, 61 DG S400
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2/Nike Method MOD 90/Scotty Newport Beach/Ping Tyne H
  • dmb3535dmb3535 Members Posts: 329 ✭✭
    not loving the color. thought they were supposed to be all black when I saw this

https://golfweek.com/2018/12/04/callaway-epic-flash-epic-flash-sub-zero-on-usga-conforming-list/
    DRIVER --Rogue sub zero

FW- Rogue 3 wood
    M2--5hl

IRONS--- jpx 900 forged 5-pw

WEDGES--T7-49-53-56-59

PUTTER-- scotty cameron buttonback
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,652 ✭✭
    Am i the only one that finds limited success w sliding weights, I know the new Ping driver will have one as well

The older TM models with weights heel and toe had more effect on ball flight . .for me at least
    Ping G400 LST 11* Mitsu TI BB Matte 53x
    Callaway GBB 3w 14* Mitsu Blueboard 63x
    Ping G400 5w 17* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Callaway V-series Hwood Fuji TS 8.2s
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fujikura 904HBs
    Ping Rapture 5-PW Aldila NV MLTi Pro105x
    Ping iWedge 50* Aldila NV 105x
    Ping Glide SS 53* & ES 59* Wrx SF125s
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
    dmb3535 wrote:

not loving the color. thought they were supposed to be all black when I saw this

https://golfweek.com/2018/12/04/callaway-epic-flash-epic-flash-sub-zero-on-usga-conforming-list/

All of the USGA conforming list pics are black and white.
    Callaway MD3 54, 60, 64
  • bama11bama11 JD$ Members Posts: 517 ✭✭
    edited Dec 6, 2018 #61
    cardoustie wrote:

Am i the only one that finds limited success w sliding weights, I know the new Ping driver will have one as well

The older TM models with weights heel and toe had more effect on ball flight . .for me at least
    For myself , the sliding weight helped me dial in my perfect shot shape. I normally play a slight draw and occasionally a nasty snap hook rears it's ugly head at least twice per round, with the sliding weight, I was able to after considerable time on the range find the perfect spot for the weight.

The driver I was using was the Big Bertha, I believe the 2014 model, I never could get the Epic dialed in, mostly because it just felt too light.

I am excited that the Flash SubZero has the sliding weight, I need help with spin control and the Flash SubZero should do the trick.

Sorry for the long reply.