Spraying the ball everywhere PW-8iron

cfotcfot Members Posts: 15 ✭✭
edited Dec 6, 2018 in Swing Videos and Comments #1
Hosel rockets started happening out of nowhere around October. I've been toying with a new swing, but not getting results. Happens mainly with PW to 8 iron. My old swing had a big backswing with a big elbow bend at the top, very little hip movement, swaying of the body back and forth, somewhat weak grip. I'm trying now to keep the lead elbow straight, setting the wrists after the club is hip level, largish hip turn, short back swing.

Looking at the video I think i'm holding the club too tight and maybe standing too close to the ball?

Appreciate any comments.

[media=]

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Doc HolidayDoc Holiday Members Posts: 26
    taking the club dead inside
  • proguyproguy Members Posts: 875 ✭✭
    LIke Monte would say pulling the handle.
    F9 9 degree Atmos black
    Epic 15 degree Diamana white
    M3 19 Hyrbrid Proforce Yellow
    R11 7 wood Fuji something old school
    4-pw J40 CB Project X
    52,56,60 DD scratch 8810
    Bryon Gball!
  • TheDeanAbidesTheDeanAbides Members Posts: 90
    What they said, plus dipping your head in the backswing. Definitely give Monte's no turn cast drill a go - it'll solve so many of your problems.

Set-up wise, you are a bit close to the ball, but I'd be more concerned about how high your hands are at set-up. Are those clubs too upright for you?

As a small additional note, don't rush the swing so much when recording - we'll wait another 5 seconds between swings. Make every swing count.
  • cfotcfot Members Posts: 15 ✭✭
    The reason I rushed was because my phone storage image/laugh.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

I started lowering my hands, but I think it looks...unpleasant when the lie of the club is at an angle so maybe I should get that adjusted. Or maybe that's normal. It's certainly improving some. I'll try that drill.
    edited Dec 10, 2018 #6
    The toe of the club should be ever so slightly in the air at address.
  • KMeloneyKMeloney Members Posts: 4,755 ✭✭
    Also, hyper-extending your right knee, locking your leg out on the backswing. It's going to tough to have a smooth transition into your left side from that position.
    KMeloney wrote:

Also, hyper-extending your right knee, locking your leg out on the backswing. It's going to tough to have a smooth transition into your left side from that position.

My lower body should be "quieter" correct? very little movement?
    cfot wrote:

KMeloney wrote:

My lower body should be "quieter" correct? very little movement?

No, it has to move, but you need to feel like the weight stays on the inside of your feet. At the top, if you're wound up properly, you'll feel like the inside of your right foot has loads of pressure (just favouring the inside right heel). Don't feel like you need to keep your right knee perfectly flexed, but it should never straighten.
    Thanks for the help
    Just work on it with half swings with a wedge or short iron until you see and feel a difference. You'll be surprised at how you can hit the ball with Monte's no turn cast drill like this.
    So I think I’ve fixed it. I started swinging more with my hands, that is, conciously feeling the swing being controlled primarily in the hands. That’s the best I can describe it with my limited vocabulary. The out of control swing occurs when I’m swinging from the wrist up, mainly the forearms. I guess it’s pretty hard to aim the club face that way. Hope this is the end of my shanks.
  • OakLawnGolfProOakLawnGolfPro Members Posts: 147 ✭✭
    Pulling the handle from the top, need more forearm rotation sooner.
    www.scotthogangolf.com