Home Simulators Lets Talk About Them!

Comments

• clevitedclevited Don't think you are, know you are. Members Posts: 1,008 ✭✭

Anyone with a nice setup in a cold weather climate ever test the waters for a side hustle opportunity by renting it out? Let people come play a round in your garage for a fee. Advertise on craigslist, at your home club, wherever.

There was a place near me that had a couple simulators in a small building but they went out of business after only about a year. I went a couple times and the prices were outrageous. Like $45 an hour per person. They sold beer on tap which was cool but the price of the sim time was nuts IMO.

Seems like there could be an opportunity there for people with nice setups in cold climates where there's a lot of desperate golfers around.

I had thought about it but only if I ever get a different property with a large heated shop that had space for others to park. At least get friends out for a winter league and just charge them for upkeep of mats and screen and such. Cheap simulator for them and I get help paying for it.
  • PetethreeputPetethreeput Members Posts: 1,432 ✭✭

Anyone with a nice setup in a cold weather climate ever test the waters for a side hustle opportunity by renting it out? Let people come play a round in your garage for a fee. Advertise on craigslist, at your home club, wherever.

There was a place near me that had a couple simulators in a small building but they went out of business after only about a year. I went a couple times and the prices were outrageous. Like $45 an hour per person. They sold beer on tap which was cool but the price of the sim time was nuts IMO.

Seems like there could be an opportunity there for people with nice setups in cold climates where there's a lot of desperate golfers around.

This has never occurred to me. My friends and I will play, but I am not sure I would trust folks I don’t know personally to be honest with my stuff and I certainly don’t want to be there while others are playing to make sure there is no damage or theft of the machine.
  • ninjabninjab Members Posts: 128 ✭✭
    I've had skytrak and jnpg for almost a year, self built netting box, projector, fiberbuilt, gaming computer, software... skytrak ends up being just a part of the cost (would guess 4.5-5k total). Very happy with skytrak, sometimes annoying with misreads but after you get used to it is pretty infrequent. GC2 is definitely better, but skytrak is quite good. JNPG is pretty nice, honestly only use it during the winter, just skytrak range during the rest of the year. I am considering letting my subscription expire for JNPG and switching to TGC with a one time purchase price and hopefully a free upgrade to TGC 2019 at some point. Anyone else jumping ship from JNPG to TGC?
    edited Dec 10, 2018 #35
    ninjab wrote:

I've had skytrak and jnpg for almost a year, self built netting box, projector, fiberbuilt, gaming computer, software... skytrak ends up being just a part of the cost (would guess 4.5-5k total). Very happy with skytrak, sometimes annoying with misreads but after you get used to it is pretty infrequent. GC2 is definitely better, but skytrak is quite good. JNPG is pretty nice, honestly only use it during the winter, just skytrak range during the rest of the year. I am considering letting my subscription expire for JNPG and switching to TGC with a one time purchase price and hopefully a free upgrade to TGC 2019 at some point. Anyone else jumping ship from JNPG to TGC?

If you don't like online stuff, or course creation, or multiple tee's, or scramble mode etc etc, then jump to TGC but your Skytrak with JNPG is a diamond in the rough. I'd sell it with JNPG so that another license isn't gone and then buy another with TGC if that is the way you want to go.

Do you play online with JNPG? I play the tour that OGT sets up. Its a lot of fun if you don't. Lots of good guys to jump in and play random scrambles and stuff with.

Ultimately IMO, it would be a shame for a JNPG license connected to a Skytrak to go to waste since you can't buy it anymore.

Edit: Also, would love to see pics of your set up.
  • sdrthedjsdrthedj Members Posts: 313 ✭✭
    ninjab wrote:

I won't be making the move. I like playing scrambles with friends and especially with my wife and daughter. Scrambles really allows the game to move along and they still get to hit lots of shots without spending 20 minutes on each hole. Multiple tee boxes on every course and each person who plays gets a profile with their preferred tees instead of just being a guest.

I like the online tour options with OGT and the online golf tour that unfortunately can't be replicated with TGC. Great courses (more accurate than TGC) and better game play without people cheating the system.

I can't imagine renting out my sim for $2-30 per hour to people I don't know. Actually, I can't imagine renting it out to people I do know. Not worth my time, aggravation and the possibility of something being damaged. I don't have the nicest looking setup, but certainly don't want something to happen to it.
  • Ri_RedneckRi_Redneck Leather for Life!! Members Posts: 5,448 ✭✭
    Great information so far. Anyone familiar with the Foresight software and what, if anything, comes with the purchase of a new GC2? I know they have an Google/Apple app that gives basic data.

Thanks,

BT
    Bag 1
    F7 9.5* - Aldila Copperhead 70TX @ 44.5
    King LTD Blk 14.5* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43
    King LTD Blk 19* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5
    Mizuno MP15 4-pw - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
    Mizuno MP-T5 Black 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge

Bag 2
    Mizuno ST180 9.5* - Diamana Kai'Li 70 X
    Mizuno GPX850 14.5* - Motore Speeder TS 7.3 S
    Mizuno GPX850 20* - Motore Speeder TS 8.3
    Mizuno MP25 4-pw - Recoil Proto 125 F4
    Mizuno MP-T5 Satin 52, 56, & 60 TT Wedge
    Ri_Redneck wrote:

Great information so far. Anyone familiar with the Foresight software and what, if anything, comes with the purchase of a new GC2? I know they have an Google/Apple app that gives basic data.

Thanks,

BT

No software comes with the purchase of a GC2. FSX is ok. Graphics are inferior to other available options and it’s very expensive. $2500-$3000 to purchase, you get a few courses to play and than $150-$500 for additional courses.

There are better software options available
    Thanks for the feedback on TGC and JNPG. Maybe I will resubscribe my JNPG for at least another year to see if TGC 2019 ends up being superior or not. I don't play online and only have the entry JNPG subscription with a limited number or courses, maybe I will see if I can get the full subscription still or if I am stuck with what I have when resubscribing.
  • jmac13jmac13 Members Posts: 745 ✭✭
    Just looking for any feedback on r-motion sensors. Just a bit of background, I have a mevo and just looking to stay sharp thru the winter hitting into a net. The only downside is not knowing direction using the mevo. So anyone with experience with r-motion, is path/face angle accurate enough to pair with my mevo? I would use my iPad for the r-motion range and my phone for my mevo numbers. Thanks!
  • jeggolfer68jeggolfer68 Members Posts: 235 ✭✭
    I just went on r-motion site, product looks interesting. Not sure it works with an iPad so I would check that.
  • jmac13jmac13 Members Posts: 745 ✭✭
    I have downloaded the app onto my iPad for the driving range. Can’t play the 15 courses without a PC that meets the minimum requirements but I am fine with just the range to see the simulated ball flight.
    edited Dec 11, 2018 #44
    renewed my skytrak jnpg and upgraded to the full $250 version so will see about trying some user created courses (best/favorite courses to start with?) and maybe even the online tournaments at some point. Got it just in time, my subscription was going to expire tomorrow!

I need to take some pictures of my setup sometime and post them as well...
    ninjab wrote:

renewed my skytrak jnpg and upgraded to the full $250 version so will see about trying some user created courses (best/favorite courses to start with?) and maybe even the online tournaments at some point. Got it just in time, my subscription was going to expire tomorrow!

Cool, good decision imo. I am pretty new to JNPG still and I have only dabbled with the online community stuff. On the OGT tournament website, they have a courses section with ratings and such. Most hang out in discord and is where we share a lot of information.

There are tons of great courses and OGT tests them to make sure they are good. There are famous courses that have different names than actual due to legal reasons I am sure but if you want some help finding good ones PM me and I will do my best to help. I know you aren't interested in online stuff but OGT is a wealth of information for JNPG. Almost required imo, as it saves time and prevents technical frustrations people sometimes have.

Looking forward to seeing your set up!
    jmac13 wrote:

Just looking for any feedback on r-motion sensors. Just a bit of background, I have a mevo and just looking to stay sharp thru the winter hitting into a net. The only downside is not knowing direction using the mevo. So anyone with experience with r-motion, is path/face angle accurate enough to pair with my mevo? I would use my iPad for the r-motion range and my phone for my mevo numbers. Thanks!

R-motion is so so in my experience. There are a lot of variables when setting up and making each swing to ensure somewhat accurate data. I personally feel it's more video game than game improvement.
    ninjab wrote:

Please do post pic's of your setup! I didn't think I would care about online play, tournaments and things but I find it really ups the fun factor.
  • SDLSDL Members Posts: 351 ✭✭
    ninjab wrote:

My favorite JNPG user-created courses include Cypress Point, Pacific Dunes, Bandon Dunes, Ballyneal, Pebble Beach, Georgia Pines (ANGC), The Old Course, Pine Valley, and Shinnecock Hills. These are wonderful courses recreated by talented designers.
    I just ordered a couple of mats off of ebay that were cheap and recommended to me by a fellow sim player. Anyone experimented with many mats and have some good suggestions for cheap ones, or even no so cheap ones. Its always tough to find a mat that gives enough so you don't hurt yourself when hitting irons, is durable, gives you realistic spin with irons, and also doubles as a good putting surface. If anyone has any solid suggestions please post. I will post about mine after I get and test them.
    Country club elite from Costco.

Country club elite from Costco.

What size and how much are they selling them for if I might ask?
    Looks like 5' x 4' are $350.00 I bought mine 6 years ago or so, paid just under $300.00. Mat looks and feels like new to this day.
  • BarracudaBarracuda Members Posts: 520 ✭✭
    I have a gc2+ HMT set up. I almost never play SIM golf, but I do practice 3/4 times a week.

HMT is just great, and the gc2 is pretty accurate.

I do play golf year round, so probably that's the reason I don't bother with courses. The few times I did play, I was bored pretty quickly.
    Barracuda wrote:

I have a gc2+ HMT set up. I almost never play SIM golf, but I do practice 3/4 times a week.

HMT is just great, and the gc2 is pretty accurate.

I do play golf year round, so probably that's the reason I don't bother with courses. The few times I did play, I was bored pretty quickly.

Playing against people online has added a new dimension for me and makes it fun. I am not very good but I am getting better, I am not sure about other sims out there but I can do all sorts of golf combines, and challenges that sharpen both my sim skills but are also relevant and helpful in improving my real golf skills.
    edited Dec 13, 2018 #55
    Skytrak

BenQ TH671ST DLP 3000 Lumen Short Throw Home Theater Projector

West Coast Netting PR-20 White

Black netting from harbor freight on top and sides

DIY Frame with metal tubes

Fiberbuilt Performance mat 5x4'

Exercise mats from Sam's Club

Basement ceilings are about 9' 6". Can swing a 45.5" driver and have never hit the ceiling. I would not want to go any shorter though.
    Nice setups guys!
  • MilfordleftyMilfordlefty Members Posts: 693 ✭✭

Is that just a phone for down the line video at the bottom of the photo? Or one of the lower budget launch monitors?
    Driver - Ping G400 Max 10.5°, Alta CB R flex, stock length
    FW - Ping G400 5W, 17.5°, Alta CB R flex, stock length
    FW - Ping G400 7W, 20.5°, Alta CB R flex, stock length
    Hybrid - Ping G400 4H, 22°, Alta CB R flex, stock length
    Hybrid - Ping G400 5H, 26º, Alta CB R flex, stock length
    Irons - Ping G20 5-GW, CFS steel R, Black dot lie, std length
    Wedges - Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth, 56° Black dot lie angle, std length, Ping Tour 58°, Black dot lie angle, std length
    Putter - Original Odyssey #7 XG w/ SuperStroke Flatso 2.0, red paint by Continental Golf

Is that just a phone for down the line video at the bottom of the photo? Or one of the lower budget launch monitors?

Looks like a swing caddie.
    I highly recommend the fiberbuilt performance mat, only complaint is that the hitting part does not go all the way to the edge which would be especially nice if you were putting. It is much easier on joints than other mats. I came from the Monster mat which is similar to the country club elite mats albeit probably lesser quality, it was pretty good but I did still get elbow pain after awhile. Fiberbuilt gives no elbow pain for me even with long sessions. Because it's so soft it is terrible to putt from, I always auto put on the simulator so don't really care.
  • dxdgenertdxdgenert Dirtiest player in the game MinnesotaMembers Posts: 1,538 ✭✭
    dxdgenert wrote:

I’ll get around to posting some pics of my setup later but I wanted to get a post in here. I’m currently running a Skytrak with WGT software (I know, the horror!). I picked up the Skytrak with an Armour case used for $1200 cash, locally. I’m hitting into the Haack net, off of the included mat. While it has been OK, I felt I wanted a little more so I just purchased the Fiberbuilt Practice Station for $199 from Costco. I live in MN and everything set up in my garage. The garage is partially insulted but is very cold in our extreme winters. I run a propane heater and can get things up to 50-55 degrees.

PING G400 MAX w/ Alta CB
    Cobra KING F7 fairway w/ Fujikura Pro 65
    Cobra KING F7 hybrid w/ Fujikura Pro 75H
    Wilson Staff FG Tour V4 Utility 4 Iron
    Wilson Staff FG Tour V4 5-GW
    Wilson Staff FG Tour PMP Blue Tour Grind 56* and 60*
    One of several milled putters