Which one? 2019 **Cobra CB/MB or **XForged18/MB combo or **P790 Black

russian7russian7 Members Posts: 2,533 ✭✭
I am looking for a good all around players irons, like the looks of all 3, I am hoping some guys can chime in using any of these sets and let me know what you think.



I am working on buying a set in the next month or so and can't decide what irons to buy.



Thanks.
«1

Comments

  • LifeStoryLifeStory Members Posts: 301 ✭✭
    p790s arent players irons. theyre way too long and juiced.



    i use the cobra mbcb combo and theyre really nice. look great and feel excellent.



    im sure the mizzys are similar. the cobra blades are smaller as well if you care about that.
  • puttingmattputtingmatt puttingmatt Summer/ Michigan-- Winter/ FloridaMembers Posts: 5,101 ✭✭
    I really enjoy both my sets, thought about a combo set, but really play well with how they are set up now.


    Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

    4 HC
  • russian7russian7 Members Posts: 2,533 ✭✭


    I really enjoy both my sets, thought about a combo set, but really play well with how they are set up now.




    Are the mb in 4-6 irons way harder to hit or are there pros to having them? I just don't like the back of the x forged as much.

    LifeStory wrote:


    p790s arent players irons. theyre way too long and juiced.



    i use the cobra mbcb combo and theyre really nice. look great and feel excellent.



    im sure the mizzys are similar. the cobra blades are smaller as well if you care about that.




    You have the new black ones? How are the mb's do they really require a perfect strike or thoughts on distance and all that?
  • hartrick11hartrick11 San DiegoMembers Posts: 45 ✭✭
    I was in a similar boat and ended up getting a Cobra King Forged all CB set, couldn't be happier. They are much more forgiving than I thought they would be and IMO look the best of all the clubs you're considering. The X Forged felt good too (I didn't hit any MBs), but I liked the P760s way more than 790s. If the 760s came in black that would've been a major consideration.

    Driver: Cobra F8+, Hzrdus Black
    3w: Cobra F7, AD DI
    UT: TaylorMade Gapr LO, KBS Proto
    Irons: Cobra King Forged CB, KBS $ Taper
    Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B X-W1 54 & 60
    Putter: Scotty Cameron California Hollywood

  • russian7russian7 Members Posts: 2,533 ✭✭
    hartrick11 wrote:


    I was in a similar boat and ended up getting a Cobra King Forged all CB set, couldn't be happier. They are much more forgiving than I thought they would be and IMO look the best of all the clubs you're considering. The X Forged felt good too (I didn't hit any MBs), but I liked the P760s way more than 790s. If the 760s came in black that would've been a major consideration.




    SWEET! Question...So what is the difference with those and the Forged Tec Blacks I have now? They look exactly the same..



    How is the PW topline and stuff in the CB vs. the MB?



    Those look really good,
  • hartrick11hartrick11 San DiegoMembers Posts: 45 ✭✭
    Forged Tecs for me were strong performers, just a little bit chunky on the top lines, especially in the shorter irons. If the lofts weren't so jacked I would've probably gotten a blend of the Forged Tecs 4-6 and the CBs 7-GW, but now that I have the CBs I love them. CBs definitely feel softer and are a good bit smaller than the Forged Tecs, both in heel-toe length and top line.

    Driver: Cobra F8+, Hzrdus Black
    3w: Cobra F7, AD DI
    UT: TaylorMade Gapr LO, KBS Proto
    Irons: Cobra King Forged CB, KBS $ Taper
    Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B X-W1 54 & 60
    Putter: Scotty Cameron California Hollywood

  • LifeStoryLifeStory Members Posts: 301 ✭✭
    edited Dec 6, 2018 #8
    russian7 wrote:



    I really enjoy both my sets, thought about a combo set, but really play well with how they are set up now.




    Are the mb in 4-6 irons way harder to hit or are there pros to having them? I just don't like the back of the x forged as much.


    LifeStory wrote:


    p790s arent players irons. theyre way too long and juiced.



    i use the cobra mbcb combo and theyre really nice. look great and feel excellent.



    im sure the mizzys are similar. the cobra blades are smaller as well if you care about that.




    You have the new black ones? How are the mb's do they really require a perfect strike or thoughts on distance and all that?




    nah, i have the chrome 2016 version (black irons aren't my thing) with the solo tungsten insert in the toe. (the tungsten in the bottom of the new ones seems gimmicky, but that's just my opinion).

    every blade requires a precise strike. you can get away with slightly less than stellar strikes but youll notice.

    trying to associate blades with forgiveness is a little backwards - people dont buy blades because they need forgiveness...(i know you didn't use the word "forgiveness" per se, but it was implied)

    the cbs are a touch more forgiving than the mbs for sure, however, using the word forgiving in this context makes me cringe because the cbs are still demanding, as most true cbs ought to be. both the cobra mb and cb are control clubs, not forgiving distance GI irons...

    that said, the distances are what youd expect from a blade or a nonjuiced cb, nothing fancy, but predictable - you get what you put into em.
  • brianmontgomery2000brianmontgomery2000 Dayton, OhioMembers Posts: 769 ✭✭
    XForged/MB

    Ping G400 Max, 9.5, Tour 65 S
    Cobra AMP Cell 3+ (13)
    Taylormade RBZ 3HL (17)
    Wishon 775HS 3Hyb (21) - Modus 120X
    Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (5-G) - Modus 120X
    Mizuno S18 - 56 & 60 - Modus 120X
    Odyssey Sabertooth

  • Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, CanadaMembers Posts: 7,721 ✭✭


    XForged/MB
    I 2nd that vote! image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    All Mizuno bag for this year.
    ST-190 Driver, 3/5 wood
    919F 4-pw Nippon 105R
    S18 50, 54, 60
    Spider X putter
    TP5(2018)


    Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly
  • russian7russian7 Members Posts: 2,533 ✭✭


    XForged/MB




    Are you guys gaming them or have experience? Cally told me the mbs are very hard to hit...but man they look good
  • LifeStoryLifeStory Members Posts: 301 ✭✭
    edited Dec 7, 2018 #12
    russian7 wrote:



    XForged/MB




    Are you guys gaming them or have experience? Cally told me the mbs are very hard to hit...but man they look good




    you expecting to find a blade that's "easy" to hit?



    that's a fool's errand and you'll take that quest to your grave.
  • dmeeksDCdmeeksDC ClubWRX Posts: 2,197 ClubWRX
    I would say take a look at the King Cobra Forged Tours. Definitely more of a players profile than the 790’s or Forged Tec and look better IMO than the X Forged and are easier to hit well. One of the more overlooked excellent irons out there. Low center of gravity and nice feel at impact.
    Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
    Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 915F fairway, 21 degrees, Diamana Blue 70 stiff
    Srixon 565 4 iron, Nippon 980GH stiff shaft
    Adams CMB irons, 5-PW, KBS C Taper regular shafts (110g)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degree, F grind, Dynamic Gold S200 shaft
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
    Ben Hogan TK wedge, 59 degree, KBS black wedge shaft
    TaylorMade TP Chaska putter, sliver, 34 inches
  • russian7russian7 Members Posts: 2,533 ✭✭
    LifeStory wrote:

    russian7 wrote:



    XForged/MB




    Are you guys gaming them or have experience? Cally told me the mbs are very hard to hit...but man they look good




    you expecting to find a blade that's "easy" to hit?



    that's a fool's errand and you'll take that quest to your grave.




    No definitely not but I would think that some might be easier then others, or the top line and looks might Inspire more confidence.
  • juststevejuststeve Members Posts: 4,746 ✭✭
    I agree that blades are not designed to be "forgiving" but some blades offer more help than others. On the scale of most helpful to most demanding, the blades in the new Cobra spit set are on the helpful end of the scale. The extra tungsten helps with launch and shots hit slightly off center. At least that's what I experienced hitting them out doors a couple of weeks ago.



    Steve
  • russian7russian7 Members Posts: 2,533 ✭✭
    juststeve wrote:


    I agree that blades are not designed to be "forgiving" but some blades offer more help than others. On the scale of most helpful to most demanding, the blades in the new Cobra spit set are on the helpful end of the scale. The extra tungsten helps with launch and shots hit slightly off center. At least that's what I experienced hitting them out doors a couple of weeks ago.



    Steve




    Yeah that is what I was looking for, I know the APex 18 MB from what I've heard are hard to hit but I've seen them in person and the topline is not too bad, not much different than X Forged18 topline.
  • LifeStoryLifeStory Members Posts: 301 ✭✭
    russian7 wrote:

    juststeve wrote:


    I agree that blades are not designed to be "forgiving" but some blades offer more help than others. On the scale of most helpful to most demanding, the blades in the new Cobra spit set are on the helpful end of the scale. The extra tungsten helps with launch and shots hit slightly off center. At least that's what I experienced hitting them out doors a couple of weeks ago.



    Steve




    Yeah that is what I was looking for, I know the APex 18 MB from what I've heard are hard to hit but I've seen them in person and the topline is not too bad, not much different than X Forged18 topline.




    i would take his opinion with a grain of salt. cobra mbs are very tiny/squat and dont inspire much confidence if that's what you desire. go look at them in person before you make a decision of course.
  • evansmar004evansmar004 Members Posts: 76
    P790's are very nice.
  • russian7russian7 Members Posts: 2,533 ✭✭
    LifeStory wrote:

    russian7 wrote:

    juststeve wrote:


    I agree that blades are not designed to be "forgiving" but some blades offer more help than others. On the scale of most helpful to most demanding, the blades in the new Cobra spit set are on the helpful end of the scale. The extra tungsten helps with launch and shots hit slightly off center. At least that's what I experienced hitting them out doors a couple of weeks ago.



    Steve




    Yeah that is what I was looking for, I know the APex 18 MB from what I've heard are hard to hit but I've seen them in person and the topline is not too bad, not much different than X Forged18 topline.




    i would take his opinion with a grain of salt. cobra mbs are very tiny/squat and dont inspire much confidence if that's what you desire. go look at them in person before you make a decision of course.




    Thanks.
  • puttingmattputtingmatt puttingmatt Summer/ Michigan-- Winter/ FloridaMembers Posts: 5,101 ✭✭
    edited Dec 7, 2018 #20
    I find the Apex MB's to be a straight forward style blade.

    Not difficult to use, with the X Forged the easier of the two.

    My score with either iron set in

    reality, is the same. I play to a 6 hc. and both sets perform very well. Keep in mind, blades were what I learned on as a kid, some

    fifty years ago. I have had my fair share of mb's through the years. I liken the callaways to the

    MP 33's, and others.


    Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

    4 HC
  • brianmontgomery2000brianmontgomery2000 Dayton, OhioMembers Posts: 769 ✭✭
    russian7 wrote:



    XForged/MB




    Are you guys gaming them or have experience? Cally told me the mbs are very hard to hit...but man they look good




    Many, many demo sessions only. Loved the XForged and thought the MB's easy enough to hit in the short irons.

    Ping G400 Max, 9.5, Tour 65 S
    Cobra AMP Cell 3+ (13)
    Taylormade RBZ 3HL (17)
    Wishon 775HS 3Hyb (21) - Modus 120X
    Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (5-G) - Modus 120X
    Mizuno S18 - 56 & 60 - Modus 120X
    Odyssey Sabertooth

  • puttingmattputtingmatt puttingmatt Summer/ Michigan-- Winter/ FloridaMembers Posts: 5,101 ✭✭
    Best bet is to try them, I do not find the Apex MB, that demanding. And the X Forged are a blast to play. Of course YMMV.


    Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

    4 HC
  • pearls24pearls24 Members Posts: 1,047 ✭✭
    russian7 wrote:

    LifeStory wrote:

    russian7 wrote:



    XForged/MB




    Are you guys gaming them or have experience? Cally told me the mbs are very hard to hit...but man they look good




    you expecting to find a blade that's "easy" to hit?



    that's a fool's errand and you'll take that quest to your grave.




    No definitely not but I would think that some might be easier then others, or the top line and looks might Inspire more confidence.




    Check out the Srixon 965's or better yet, wait a little longer until the new Z Forged Blades come out. I game the 945's and def. the easiest "blades" I've ever hit. Love the grind on the bottom as well. I too have been eyeing the new Cobras. A buddy of mine has a set of the previous model and the heads are def. on the smaller size.
    Taylormade 2018 M4 with Project X T1100 (65g)
    Taylormade 2016 M2 (Tour Issue) fairway wood with Project X T1100 (75g)
    Callaway Apex Utility- 20* with Aerotech Steelfiber 125X
    Miura 501 Satin (4-PW) with Steelfiber 115x
    Vokey SM7 Black Wedges- 50F, 54S, & 58D with TT DG Black Onyx S400
    Odyssey O Works Black #2M CS
  • Grip It & Rip It 82Grip It & Rip It 82 Members Posts: 177 ClubWRX
    I'm a weekend warrior and by no means a good golfer.....no time for range and practice and lessons and (no business playing blades) but I tried the apex mb in the simulator one day and consistently hit it better than other game improvement irons. I already have a set of BLACK CF16 that I love and are my regular gamers but I always wanted to try blades. I got a set close to brand new for a really good price on CPO when they first hit the site. I have played them multiple rounds and I find them no more difficult to hit. Puring a shot with these is definitely an amazing feeling. May require a little more focus but for someone who shouldn't be playing blades by everything you read, my scores have remained the same despite a more demanding club. The clubs are gorgeous and are really fun to play. I got 5-AW in Apex Mb and added a 4i X forged. I almost feel the mb are easier to hit than the X forged. Either way, I golf for fun and to clear my head for 4 hours and these clubs allow me to have fun and pretend I'm a decent golfer. I'm never making the tour so in regards to what I want to game I do whatever I want. Also if you do go Apex MB make sure you get the AW.....probably my most favorite club in the set....a precise scalpel.







  • rnolan79rnolan79 Dayton, OhioMembers Posts: 115 ✭✭
    I have the Apex MB's and am playing them 5-pw. When I was fitted I actually had better numbers with the MB's and they were easier to hit for me. I just had to wait till I could find a raw set with shafts I liked and then I grabbed them. I sold my P790's to go back to a more traditional iron and I don't regret it. I may add a 5 and 6 iron in the Xforged but I am getting great numbers and the feel is better on the MB's.
    Callaway: Epic 10.5 Graphite Design Tour DI-6 S 45 in
    Callaway: Epic 15 Graphite Design Tour DI-7 S
    Callaway: X2 Hot Pro 17 Aldila Tour ATX Green S
    Callaway: X2 Hot Pro Hybrid 20 Graphite Design Tour AD 95 S
    Callaway: Apex MB Raw 5-pw Dynamic Gold Tour Issue s400
    Callaway: MD4 Raw 50,54 Nippon Pro Modus 125 W
    Callaway: PM grind 60 KBS Tour V
    TaylorMade: Spider 34 inch Superstroke Counterbalance
  • Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 8,974 ✭✭
    edited Dec 8, 2018 #26
    I own the 19’ Cobra CB’s and they are smaller toe to heel than most if not every single MB on the market. These CB’s don’t fool around! BB
    Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • MI517MI517 Members Posts: 437 ✭✭
    Big Ben wrote:


    I own the 19’ Cobra CB’s and they are smaller toe to heel than most if not every single MB on the market. These CB’s don’t fool around! BB




    How do you like em? I’ve hit a few times and thinking about picking up a straight cb or flow set this week after some whacks on a monitor. Love the small look.
    Ping G400 Max Driver 9* - Ping Tour 65 X
    Callaway Epic 4 Hybrid - UST Recoil ES780 S
    Callaway Apex 21* Utility Iron - KBS TourV S
    Cobra King Forged CB/MB 4-P - KBS $-Taper Black S
    Titleist SM7 50*F, 54*F, 58*M - KBS $-Taper
    Odyssey #1Works Versa 34”
  • CaseyDanCaseyDan Members Posts: 796 ✭✭


    I'm a weekend warrior and by no means a good golfer.....no time for range and practice and lessons and (no business playing blades) but I tried the apex mb in the simulator one day and consistently hit it better than other game improvement irons. I already have a set of BLACK CF16 that I love and are my regular gamers but I always wanted to try blades. I got a set close to brand new for a really good price on CPO when they first hit the site. I have played them multiple rounds and I find them no more difficult to hit. Puring a shot with these is definitely an amazing feeling. May require a little more focus but for someone who shouldn't be playing blades by everything you read, my scores have remained the same despite a more demanding club. The clubs are gorgeous and are really fun to play. I got 5-AW in Apex Mb and added a 4i X forged. I almost feel the mb are easier to hit than the X forged. Either way, I golf for fun and to clear my head for 4 hours and these clubs allow me to have fun and pretend I'm a decent golfer. I'm never making the tour so in regards to what I want to game I do whatever I want. Also if you do go Apex MB make sure you get the AW.....probably my most favorite club in the set....a precise scalpel.




    Couldn’t have said it myself as an Apex MB Raw and CF16 owner. Exactly my thoughts.
    TaylorMade M2 Tensei Pro White 60s
    Callaway Epic Flash w/ Whiteboard 70s
    Callaway Rogue 5W w/ Whiteboard 80s
    Callaway Apex 19 Combo 4-AW
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*
    TaylorMade 60* Hi-Toe
    TaylorMade Spider X
  • russian7russian7 Members Posts: 2,533 ✭✭
    CaseyDan wrote:



    I'm a weekend warrior and by no means a good golfer.....no time for range and practice and lessons and (no business playing blades) but I tried the apex mb in the simulator one day and consistently hit it better than other game improvement irons. I already have a set of BLACK CF16 that I love and are my regular gamers but I always wanted to try blades. I got a set close to brand new for a really good price on CPO when they first hit the site. I have played them multiple rounds and I find them no more difficult to hit. Puring a shot with these is definitely an amazing feeling. May require a little more focus but for someone who shouldn't be playing blades by everything you read, my scores have remained the same despite a more demanding club. The clubs are gorgeous and are really fun to play. I got 5-AW in Apex Mb and added a 4i X forged. I almost feel the mb are easier to hit than the X forged. Either way, I golf for fun and to clear my head for 4 hours and these clubs allow me to have fun and pretend I'm a decent golfer. I'm never making the tour so in regards to what I want to game I do whatever I want. Also if you do go Apex MB make sure you get the AW.....probably my most favorite club in the set....a precise scalpel.




    Couldn’t have said it myself as an Apex MB Raw and CF16 owner. Exactly my thoughts.




    Thanks, I'm going try some, now I just have to find a deal like CPO had for Black Friday week
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,303 ✭✭
    russian7 wrote:
    I am looking for a good all around players irons, like the looks of all 3, I am hoping some guys can chime in using any of these sets and let me know what you think.



    I am working on buying a set in the next month or so and can't decide what irons to buy.



    Thanks.




    If you like the looks of all 3 then that’s part of the battle. By “all around” I’ll assume its looks, forgiveness, and performance and the 790s fit that bill pretty well.
  • Grip It & Rip It 82Grip It & Rip It 82 Members Posts: 177 ClubWRX
    russian7 wrote:

    CaseyDan wrote:



    I'm a weekend warrior and by no means a good golfer.....no time for range and practice and lessons and (no business playing blades) but I tried the apex mb in the simulator one day and consistently hit it better than other game improvement irons. I already have a set of BLACK CF16 that I love and are my regular gamers but I always wanted to try blades. I got a set close to brand new for a really good price on CPO when they first hit the site. I have played them multiple rounds and I find them no more difficult to hit. Puring a shot with these is definitely an amazing feeling. May require a little more focus but for someone who shouldn't be playing blades by everything you read, my scores have remained the same despite a more demanding club. The clubs are gorgeous and are really fun to play. I got 5-AW in Apex Mb and added a 4i X forged. I almost feel the mb are easier to hit than the X forged. Either way, I golf for fun and to clear my head for 4 hours and these clubs allow me to have fun and pretend I'm a decent golfer. I'm never making the tour so in regards to what I want to game I do whatever I want. Also if you do go Apex MB make sure you get the AW.....probably my most favorite club in the set....a precise scalpel.




    Couldn’t have said it myself as an Apex MB Raw and CF16 owner. Exactly my thoughts.




    Thanks, I'm going try some, now I just have to find a deal like CPO had for Black Friday week




    I got them for something stupid. When they first went up on CPO way before Black Friday they were like 30 or even 40% off and I got a set with KBS $ tapers for that price.
Sign In or Register to comment.