2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

How uneducated on equipment is the general public?

AbSWFPGA

Strolling the Pga tour superstore the other day doing some Christmas shopping I come across a m4 driver with a tour ad IZ 6x shaft in it. It was listed for 249$. Also on the same used rack was another m4 with a stock shaft for the same price!!!. The Tour ad shaft is 380$ new and so isn’t the head and this thing was in great shape. So the person who traded it in must not realize the shaft that was in that driver. Pga superstore also must not realize the shaft that was in this club. If I wasn’t in love with my driver I would have snagged that up. Still shocked both parties (guy who traded in and Pga superstore) did not realize the value of this club. Any other wrxers ever encounter anything like this?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strolling the Pga tour superstore the other day doing some Christmas shopping I come across a m4 driver with a tour ad IZ 6x shaft in it. It was listed for 249$. Also on the same used rack was another m4 with a stock shaft for the same price!!!. The Tour ad shaft is 380$ new and so isn't the head and this thing was in great shape. So the person who traded it in must not realize the shaft that was in that driver. Pga superstore also must not realize the shaft that was in this club. If I wasn't in love with my driver I would have snagged that up. Still shocked both parties (guy who traded in and Pga superstore) did not realize the value of this club. Any other wrxers ever encounter anything like this?

Do you mean $249 and $380, or was this not in the US?

Strolling the Pga tour superstore the other day doing some Christmas shopping I come across a m4 driver with a tour ad IZ 6x shaft in it. It was listed for 249$. Also on the same used rack was another m4 with a stock shaft for the same price!!!. The Tour ad shaft is 380$ new and so isn't the head and this thing was in great shape. So the person who traded it in must not realize the shaft that was in that driver. Pga superstore also must not realize the shaft that was in this club. If I wasn't in love with my driver I would have snagged that up. Still shocked both parties (guy who traded in and Pga superstore) did not realize the value of this club. Any other wrxers ever encounter anything like this?

The driver was being sold for 249 m4 Head on a tour ad iz 6x. The tour ad iz shaft retails for 380$ sorry if that was confusing. This was in FL

I wouldn't have known what a value that is either and I've been below scratch golfer to a 5-6 handicap my entire adult life..... A lot of people don't get into all that kind of stuff.... some people simply don't care and they will still take your money on saturday!

Most golfers outside of Golfwrx dont actually care. I had a club pro friend who's only equipment spec was that they be left handed.

LTDx LS 11.5* - Tensei White 65X

G430 Max 15* - Ping Chrome 75S

King Tec Hybrid 19* - MMT 80S

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F, 54S, 60M

White Hot OG 7CH

Strolling the Pga tour superstore the other day doing some Christmas shopping I come across a m4 driver with a tour ad IZ 6x shaft in it. It was listed for 249$. Also on the same used rack was another m4 with a stock shaft for the same price!!!. The Tour ad shaft is 380$ new and so isn’t the head and this thing was in great shape. So the person who traded it in must not realize the shaft that was in that driver. Pga superstore also must not realize the shaft that was in this club. If I wasn’t in love with my driver I would have snagged that up. Still shocked both parties (guy who traded in and Pga superstore) did not realize the value of this club. Any other wrxers ever encounter anything like this?

There are people out there that have lots of money

An example, my brother in law has a friend, he buys 200 dollar foot joys, wears them a few rounds and tossed them because they're dirty.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

There are people out there that have lots of money

An example, my brother in law has a friend, he buys 200 dollar foot joys, wears them a few rounds and tossed them because they're dirty.

Haha that is great

The general public actually believe what the manufactures tell them. Lol. They really think they will hit it farther, straighter, shoot lower scores.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

The driver was being sold for 249 m4 Head on a tour ad iz 6x. The tour ad iz shaft retails for 380$ sorry if that was confusing. This was in FL

Up in Canada this is usually how it works. It doesn't matter what shaft is in the club it comes down to the book value for the club. Same thing trading up you get no more for a driver if you have a 3-400 dollar exotic shaft. Routinely I would find o.g. flowerband wbs, mototre 7.2 tour specs and tour ad di shafts in clubs that were a year old for the same discount as the stock item. In a few months they will have the srixon drivers in the used bin with the pro blue and handcrafted hzrdus.

The general public actually believe what the manufactures tell them. Lol. They really think they will hit it farther, straighter, shoot lower scores.

I know right.... each year the new driver is going to give you 10-20 more yards off the tee, well ok by that rate I should be hitting in close to 500 yards off the tee compared to how far I hit it in college! We are and always have been a country of confident idiots tho...

Should've snagged it up anyway. That's an easy flip.

I am familiar with the newer drivers heading coming out of the major OEMs (Titleist, Ping and TM whom I follow closely) but I have no frickin' clue about the present offering of those exotic shafts out there since there so many of them.

Maybe that is the reason why I'd rather play with drivers from shafts from that are 10-15 years old (Prolite, Proforce, Proforce V2, EI-70, Speeder 757). Those shafts of yesteryear have the same bend profile as the present shafts of today but not made of exotic materials and are a heck of a lot cheaper.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

I can tell you I play with ...Lets say 5 guys pretty regularly, who know absolutely nothing about equipment. Most use relatively recent equipment but dont change often. When they do, most go straight for the new TM stuff.

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

So does a lot of this forum. They brag about lowering spin by 4 rpm and picking up 0.35mph ball speed.

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

They know nothing about equipment at all, I have a buddy that played college baseball & can swing it 120mph but does not know a Reg from X flex. He swings out his shoes & wonders why he slices it two fairways. I’ve tried over the years to help him straighten things out with heavier, stiffer shafts, to no avail. I gave him my older driver once, FT9 tour / White board 73x, after a few games we all saw how much straighter & longer he was hitting it. Next game he pitched up with some white headed driver with some made for reg shaft.

He had traded the FT9 / WB for this junk, back were the slices & hooks & asks us to watch his swing and tell what he’s doing wrong.

The public are clueless.

So does a lot of this forum. They brag about lowering spin by 4 rpm and picking up 0.35mph ball speed.

More than a fair share of Tour Members that don't give a damn about a lot of this stuff and wouldnt know what they are looking at in a retail store either as well....

Most people dont have a clue and a lot of good players dont either. I sometimes wish I knew less and just could commit to a set and play.

I think my bag is close to being set for awhile. A few clubs to decide on. Driver and which wedge set I'll end up playing Edel or SM7s. But by time league starts, I want to be set for rest of the year. That's my goal anyways. I change up stuff way too much and that makes it hard to improve and be consistent. But like everyone here, I like trying different clubs and shafts.

PS, cant wait until people start discounting these used drivers with exotic shafts like HC Hzrdus.

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

The general public has no clue (ignorance was bliss in hindsight, before finding this place). That, and you really don’t get any added value from a trade in for upgraded shafts.

The average golfer with the means for new equipment semi frequently will buy whatever they’re “fitted” for (hit the furthest) and trade it in when they find another club they hit better (further).

most are clueless, probably include myself.

I like to think I know a few things, maybe....

Sadly those of us who think we know stuff are probably the most clueless :russian_roulette:

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

If we were all experts we would get fitted once every few years, listen to our teachers and shoot 63 every time.....however....

Careful...that line of thinking will get you banned around here lol jk

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

most are clueless, probably include myself.

I like to think I know a few things, maybe....

Sadly those of us who think we know stuff are probably the most clueless :russian_roulette:

hence "a few things" and "maybe"....

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

I can remember trading in 2 drivers that i reshafted with Oban shafts at PGA SS the kid at the counter had no clue. When the one of the techs who I know came over he told me he'd buy the clubs off me. Then tried to explain about the shafts to the counter clerk.....he gave up after about 2 minutes LOL!

Titleist  TSi2 8.0 TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW 
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 

Ping i210 4-PW TT Elevate Tour X
Cleveland tour raw 52, 56, 60 DG x100
Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels