Greg Norman talks about One Length Irons, Bryson on to something

ronboronbo Members Posts: 465 ✭✭
Watched Norman on TV yesterday talk about one length irons and makes sense, Bryson backing up what he's been saying all along. Never knew Bobby Jones played a set make up all the same length?

https://golfweek.com/2018/12/08/greg-norman-would-use-single-length-irons-if-he-could-do-it-over-again/

Comments

• Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,712 ClubWRX
  • getair23getair23 Members Posts: 1,957 ✭✭
    You do know Norman is a Cobra guy? I don't put much stock into what the shark has to say these days. Just glad he had his clothes on.
    Ping G400 MAX Aerotech Ti-Fiber Tour 70 F6-x
    Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5 Elements Chrome 7F5T
    Srixon Z 745 (4-9) Z 945 (pw) KBS tour-x
    Fourteen RM 21 50* KBS Tour FLT 130-x
    Bettinardi "The Hive" Black 54* and 60* KBS Tour FLT 130-x
    Edel 64* KBS C-Taper s+
    Evnroll ER2 
  • No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_JapanMembers Posts: 5,203 ✭✭
    Norman won 86 times internationally, including 20 Tour events, along with the 1986 British Open

The 1993 win never counted?
    Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
    4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
    7w TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
    Hybrid: RomaRo iBrid 23* Attas EZ 85S
    Irons (4i-PW): Wilson fg-62 S300 4/5-PW or MP4 Yoro Modus 125X 5-PW
    Wedges: Callaway MD2 T-grind combination of 52*, 56*, 58*, 60*
    Putter: Mac Jack Nicklaus Muirfield

Old stuff: Tons of persimmon and older irons. 
  • SubaruWRXSubaruWRX Members Posts: 3,281 ✭✭
    What did/does Narman have in the bag himself?
    “I think getting advice from guys who are sitting at the computer in their underwear while taking a break from **** is a very solid way to choose clubs.” - bluedot
  • Nard_SNard_S Members Posts: 3,215 ✭✭
    There's a lot not to like about Norman but he had a world class swing and was one of the best drivers of the ball ever. His swing videos are incredibly well done and still stand up in techno era we live in. Giving props to DeChambleau's setup is high praise coming from him. Cold day in **** I swing a PW that is #6 long, though.
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 4,818 ✭✭
    Cobra Exec "Hi Greg, you know all that money we pay you even though you are well into your 60's now? Well we have piled a heck of an amount of money into single length clubs, fancy saying they are good?"

Greg "Sure."

Cobra Exec "You're new contact will be with you soon."
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow White T1100
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08, 54.10 & 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x
  • BMCBMC Members Posts: 3,557 ✭✭
    SL PW-4 irons makes sense.
    PING Rapture V1 Driver 9*
    Cobra Baffler Pro 18* & 23* hybrids
    Titleist 755 irons
    Vokey Wedges 46/54/58
    Odyssey #1WS
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,273 ✭✭
    ronbo wrote:

Watched Norman on TV yesterday talk about one length irons and makes sense, Bryson backing up what he's been saying all along. Never knew Bobby Jones played a set make up all the same length?

https://golfweek.com/2018/12/08/greg-norman-would-use-single-length-irons-if-he-could-do-it-over-again/

That was pretty common with hickory shafts. They had to be fit using your wrist to floor measurement. Once steel shafts became the norm, equipment companies wanted an easier way to sell clubs, so they came up with the gradual length system that magically fit everyone. LOL.
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War Members Posts: 2,752 ✭✭

Norman won 86 times internationally, including 20 Tour events, along with the 1986 British Open

so really he has 20 wins..just like Tiger only has 80 wins...only PGA tour wins count
    Cobra LTD PRO/LTD BLACK  Matrix F6M2/F7M3/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ Fuji 661 III
    Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Cobra Fly Z  Pro Irons Modus 120x SSx2 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    Machine LN M6
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,339 ClubWRX
    I was more surprised to hear that Norman was such a huge Beatles fan and hosted a show on Sirius XM Friday night. Who knew.
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,224 ✭✭
    edited Dec 30, 2018 #12
    I almost threw something at my TV when Bryson said the the post match interview yesterday that “he developed one length irons”. Like he invented them.

Yeah dude? Its never been tried before? Really?? How about when Tommy Armour released the EQL set in 1989??

I realize that’s well before your pompous egotistical as$ was born, but you certainly didn’t invent them.

Edit....Ok, Ok...maybe a little harsh because I just don’t like him. To be fair, I suppose he could have meant he helped develop “Cobra one length irons” specifically, and not the one length concept in general.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • HonmanHonman Members Posts: 1,035 ✭✭
    Man_O_War wrote:

so really he has 20 wins..just like Tiger only has 80 wins...only PGA tour wins count

So what about those pesky Europeans winning the Ryder Cup so many times over the years?

This is such a short sighted comment. Is the PGA Tour the best, yes it is, but the standard of golf in Europe and around the world is much higher than people give it credit for.
    Driver: TaylorMade M5 9 Mitsubishi Tensei White Pro 60S
    Fairway Wood: Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero Mitsubishi C6 70S
    Hybrid: Ping G41019 & 22 Alta CB 7S
    Irons: Ping i500 KBS Tour V 100R
    Wedge: Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth AWT 50, 56, 60
    Putter: TBC
    Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft X

I almost threw something at my TV when Bryson said the the post match interview yesterday that “he developed one length irons”. Like he invented them.

Yeah dude? Its never been tried before? Really?? How about when Tommy Armour released the EQL set in 1989??

I realize that’s well before your pompous egotistical as$ was born, but you certainly didn’t invent them.

Relax there big fella. I think he said he developed them for his game. Those TA EQLs were a huge bust.

Bryson is a trailblazer with these SL irons. Can't be disputed (but I know you'll try).

His unorthodox swing is another subject.
    Titleist 755 irons
    Vokey Wedges 46/54/58
    Odyssey #1WS
  •  SwooshLT SwooshLT Members Posts: 7,043 ✭✭
    Honman wrote:

Man_O_War wrote:

So what about those pesky Europeans winning the Ryder Cup so many times over the years?

This is such a short sighted comment. Is the PGA Tour the best, yes it is, but the standard of golf in Europe and around the world is much higher than people give it credit for.

Winning the RC ? Means what exactly?
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,224 ✭✭
    They just replayed it a few minutes ago.

When asked about how he felt about one length irons he giggled and said “well, I developed them”. Then he mentioned seeing Bobby Jones irons at Augusta and noticing they were all similar length and he intimated that seeing them gave him the inspiration to “develop“ one length irons. Barf...

He undeniably is a “trailblazer” of sorts for actually being the first to use them successfully on tour. He’s certainly earning his Cobra money.

If I was still teaching professionally I would not be dissuading brand new golfers from trying them. It’s a nice idea for those with no preconceived ideas about clubs who haven’t already gotten used to traditional irons. I do think it’s extremely ackward for long time golfers to try and change to them.

They can’t work for me. I’ve tried them. I will always try to overswing a super “short” 4 iron and I will always find a super long gap wedge bizarre because I’ve hit millions of golf balls with traditional irons for 35 years.

The one MASSIVE problem with getting new golfers started on single length irons is that if they don’t become more popular and other companies don’t start making them, a consumer will never have any CHOICE in irons except to buy new Cobras every few years.....and that’s Only if Cobra continues making them for many years. What if they stop in 4 or 5 years? Then what? All OL golfers need to convert if they want to buy new clubs? Yikes.

I actually hope they become popular enough that more choices emerge, but only time will tell.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • HonmanHonman Members Posts: 1,035 ✭✭
    SwooshLT wrote:

Honman wrote:

Man_O_War wrote:

Winning the RC ? Means what exactly?

That to say wins outside of the US don't count. Come on seriously.
    Driver: TaylorMade M5 9 Mitsubishi Tensei White Pro 60S
    Fairway Wood: Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero Mitsubishi C6 70S
    Hybrid: Ping G41019 & 22 Alta CB 7S
    Irons: Ping i500 KBS Tour V 100R
    Wedge: Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth AWT 50, 56, 60
    Putter: TBC
    Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft X
  • elwhippyelwhippy Members Posts: 3,120 ✭✭
    Might be OK for a tall player with an upright swing but as a short flat swinger the short irons would be unusable. As only one notable player is using them and our local stores won't stock them I cannot see them being on sale by the end of 2019.
    elwhippy wrote:

Might be OK for a tall player with an upright swing but as a short flat swinger the short irons would be unusable. As only one notable player is using them and our local stores won't stock them I cannot see them being on sale by the end of 2019.

Think about that for a second.

Can a short player use a standard length 7 iron? Sure. Why can’t they use a pitching wedge that’s the length of a 7 iron?

You could argue Single length clubs actually suit shorter people BETTER than tall people. Shorter people may feel uncomfortable with standard length long irons.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • CwebbCwebb Members Posts: 5,877 ✭✭
    Nard_S wrote:

There's a lot not to like about Norman but he had a world class swing and was one of the best drivers of the ball ever. His swing videos are incredibly well done and still stand up in techno era we live in. Giving props to DeChambleau's setup is high praise coming from him. Cold day in **** I swing a PW that is #6 long, though.

Would you consider trying a 6i that is the length of your 8 iron?
  • bodhi555bodhi555 Members Posts: 745 ✭✭
    One thing I've never understood is exactly what problem single length irons are trying to solve?
    The Blue Thunder: Nike Vapor Fly - 9.5 degree - Speeder Evolution 757X
    The Stenson: Nike Vapor Fly 3W - Mitsubishi JvlnFX 74 X-Flex
    The Walking Stick: Titleist 818 H2 19 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 85X
    The Blades: Nike VR Pro 4i - PW - DG S400 TI Shaft
    The Rusties: Nike Engage 50, 54 Square Sole, 58 Toe Sweep
    The Putter: Nike "The Oven" Method 003
    Balls: Nike RZN Tour Black/Platinum, Bridgestone Tour B XS, Titleist AVX
    Bag: Sun Mountain Four Five

Also in Rotation:

Driving Iron: Nike Vapor Fly 2 iron - KBS C-Taper 120S
    Wedge: Nike Engage 58 Dual Sole
    Putters: Yonex Super A.D.X Tour Forged / Scotty Cameron Newport Oil Can / Scotty Cameron California Del Mar
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,273 ✭✭
    bodhi555 wrote:

One thing I've never understood is exactly what problem single length irons are trying to solve?

Consistency.
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • FootWedge16FootWedge16 Members Posts: 251 ✭✭
    bodhi555 wrote:

Sucking at golf
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 4,766 ✭✭
    getair23 wrote:

You do know Norman is a Cobra guy?

my Cobra guy...

Cobra_Commander.jpg
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
    A better Cobra player....
    Titleist 755 irons
    Vokey Wedges 46/54/58
    Odyssey #1WS
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,141 ✭✭
    BrianMcG wrote:

bodhi555 wrote:

Consistency.

Which is funny as it’s marjeted towards golfers who have no consistency in their swings
  • RohlioRohlio Members Posts: 2,324 ✭✭
    GoGoErky wrote:

BrianMcG wrote:

bodhi555 wrote:

Consistency.

Which is funny as it’s marjeted towards golfers who have no consistency in their swings

Scratch golfer... Single length irons helped me tremendously witg my long iron consistency. Your argument is silly.
    WITB:
    Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
    FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
    Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
    Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
    Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
    Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle
  • Nard_SNard_S Members Posts: 3,215 ✭✭
    Cwebb wrote:

Nard_S wrote:

Would you consider trying a 6i that is the length of your 8 iron?

I'm still using 27*-28* #5's and 48*-49* PW's so if I bought new school tech, I would already be there.
  • iBanestoiBanesto Niclas Fasth Members Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
    So much hate for Norman image/laugh.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

People must be Chris Evert fans.
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,712 ClubWRX
    DavePelz4 wrote:

I was more surprised to hear that Norman was such a huge Beatles fan and hosted a show on Sirius XM Friday night. Who knew.

After he played "I'm A Loser" 10 times in a row they cut him off and switched to Haney guest host reruns!
  •  Dave D Dave D Members Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    iBanesto wrote:

So much hate for Norman image/laugh.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

People must be Chris Evert fans.

I read his book a while back and did find it funny how all his collapses were someone else's fault and never his own.
    Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
    3 Wood: Taylormade M1 3HL 17* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
    2 iron: Taylormade P790 UDI w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 85g

4-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
    Wedges: Vokey SM7 50F, 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
    Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab #7 34"

Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft

ig-badge-view-24.png
    fbv_twitter.png