2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Do golfers who ride not like playing with someone who walks?

i belong to a private club in Charlotte NC that is very easy to walk.

I play the game for a multitude of reasons, but exercise is one of them. I grew up walking and carrying my bag all the time, I never took a cart. Add in the fact that a cart each round at my club is an additional $20, that's all the more motivation to walk the course.

the course has no walking restrictions (i..e. cart is never required)

what is interesting to me is the demographics of who walks and who doesnt

Im 35 years old, and most of the members near my age (25-40) ride.

Most of the guys who walk are 45-60.

Given that you have more energy when you are younger, this perplexes me.

Anyways, because the guys that are my peers (lower handicap players and near my age) all ride, I rarely play with them.

They never said it directly to me but I heard the reason I never get invited (and the reason they dont accept my invites) is because they dont like to golf with someone who walks.

I guess i can see the issue if my walking is holding up play. But with 4 people this is rarely the case because i can simply hit last on each hole. I will be at my ball ready to hit by the time everyone else has already hit.

with 2-3 total people I could hold up progress.

It doesn't really bother me, I just play by myself, save $20 everyday (so $6,000 per year since I play about 300 times per year) and dont need to worry about coordinating schedules. And I get done faster

I just wonder why other young guys dont walk the course when it saves money, you get the exercise and it still doesn't even take 4 hours to play since the course is short.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a lot of people, getting to drive those golf carts around is part of why they like to play, I think.

I've mentioned that it's good exercise to some people who ride and they say, "I go to the gym to exercise, I want to have fun out here". OK, I guess? I walk whenever possible and still manage to have fun, too.

So many courses require carts these days in order to make money, I think a lot of people have just come to accept riding in a cart as the norm.

I always walk, usually it's no problem if someone carts because I'm either playing with friends who don't mind a bit of waiting, or the course is busy enough that you are waiting anyway. It helps that I'm an extremely fast player

If you join a group of people carting as a single and you want to walk, and the course is empty...I could see them being pissed

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I play with a group of walkers and we rarely take longer than 3.5 hours. It would take some pretty fast riders to be slowed down by players like us. Some guys are just plain slow though, and if they are walking that would compound the problem. If you are as fast as you say you are I suspect eventually the regulars will come to realize you won't slow them down and you will be included more.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I Move faster than my riding partners, especially on days where there are a lot of cartpath only holes

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

For a lot of people, getting to drive those golf carts around is part of why they like to play, I think.

I've mentioned that it's good exercise to some people who ride and they say, "I go to the gym to exercise, I want to have fun out here". OK, I guess? I walk whenever possible and still manage to have fun, too.

So many courses require carts these days in order to make money, I think a lot of people have just come to accept riding in a cart as the norm.

I am pretty sure that younger people ride because they don't golf as much, and they typically aren't using it as their primary work out .Investing in a pushcart provides a lot of benefits they likely won't utilize. Older guys are usually trying to save some money and stay in shape

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

I always walk and carry. Whenever I pair up with someone for the first time and they are riding, I always tell them that they are free to go on ahead if I am ever holding them up.

I've never had anyone take me up on that offer. Generally speaking, I can play as fast or faster than anyone in a cart.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

We get a single added on to our group who walk now and then...don't really mind walkers, except those who should be riding cuz they walk like they're 90 years old...for most part, no bother to us.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

This is true where I play as well. For many of us muni players in our mid 50's or older, riding a cart was an unaffordable extravagance when we were younger and learning the game. I could probably afford to be a rider now, but I never got in the habit and find cart golf less enjoyable.

These days I walk but I can see their side of it. With the right riding partners and course conditions many walkers wouldn't be able to keep up (many walkers not all). They probably have some experience with playing with some walkers that disrupted the flow. Might just be easier for them to say no thanks to a walker they don't know well. Maybe try playing with them sometimes but riding along. Once they get to know you they may be more willing to give it a shot.

As for cost it may just be that the yearly nut for a cart is not that big a deal because they are playing a lot less rounds than you. At my 150'ish rounds per year the cost would be significant to me and I did it for many years (as it was required at certain times of the day). If I was only playing 40 rounds a year it wouldn't phase me. Though I am extremely happy that my current home course is very walker friendly and most of the people I play with are walkers (ages 20 to 70).

I agree with a lot of what has been said, I can keep up. But, generally I don't want to. I don't believe walking is slower, it's just a different pace. Clearly, the drive to the approach is the biggie.

OP, I think a lot of it is just what people are used to doing. Guys who ride don't want to clean all their stuff out of their bag, are worried if they'll get blisters, etc. Many like playing 2 man games and conversing (plotting) with their teammate.

I play for the exercise and like saving the cart fees, but I ride some times when I desire the 'fellowship' social element. I would suggest you relax your rules and throw a 20 in to get a cart on occasion to meet some new guys.

I've been surprised how often a rider will pat their midsection and say they have an old push cart they should dust off. Before you know it you've flipped the group. Well, at least when the weather's nice :)

As far as your question YES, some guys don't want to play with a walker. Definitely. I have the single in the cart ask me to get in or offer to pull me up the fairway quite often.

Most of the people I play with walk and we don’t care if someone rides. At my course about half the people walk always, it’s an old course with short distances between tee and green. More of the younger people who only play weekends ride, probably because they are getting their exercise at the gym. They don’t look out of shape. However some of the older people who ride all the time do look out of shape. I ride in tournaments especially if it’s really hot unless everyone else is walking. And then there are the younger people who walk and carry 18 and ride a second 18 on weekends making full use of the cart beer cooler. This is beginning to sound like an anthropological study. I can envision Woodhouse’s “oldest member” making a study.

I just wonder why other young guys dont walk the course when it saves money, you get the exercise and it still doesn't even take 4 hours to play since the course is short.

Topic headline "Do golfers who ride not like playing with someone who walk?"

Answer: No, but it can get frustrating waiting out in the fairway for a walker to catch up.

I both walk and ride as do several in my group. There is no doubt that riding is faster than walking, but slow players are slow regardless.

If I show up to play a round and it's just me and one other guy and I'm in a cart and that guy is walking, I almost always switch to walking. There's really no point to riding anymore as that person will just slow things down usually and you wait

With that said, usually for my 5 or 6pm 9 hole twilight rounds in the summer, I tend to always walk. It's a casual round and the course is generally more open.

i belong to a private club in Charlotte NC that is very easy to walk.

I play the game for a multitude of reasons, but exercise is one of them. I grew up walking and carrying my bag all the time, I never took a cart. Add in the fact that a cart each round at my club is an additional $20, that's all the more motivation to walk the course.

the course has no walking restrictions (i..e. cart is never required)

Given that you have more energy when you are younger, this perplexes me.

Anyways, because the guys that are my peers (lower handicap players and near my age) all ride, I rarely play with them.

They never said it directly to me but I heard the reason I never get invited (and the reason they dont accept my invites) is because they dont like to golf with someone who walks.

I guess i can see the issue if my walking is holding up play. But with 4 people this is rarely the case because i can simply hit last on each hole. I will be at my ball ready to hit by the time everyone else has already hit.

with 2-3 total people I could hold up progress.

It doesn't really bother me, I just play by myself, save $20 everyday (so $6,000 per year since I play about 300 times per year) and dont need to worry about coordinating schedules. And I get done faster

I would understand their point if they're singles in carts and tend to play fast, they will run off and leave you. If I have no one in front of me, I can take my time and still finish in 2.5 hrs alone in a cart. If I do that walking, I'm wiped when I finish because of the pace I've had to walk (and there better not be any hills). If you REALLY want to play with those guys, just get a cart and count it as a fun round instead of exercise. I sure as heck wouldn't stop walking altogether though.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

OP: Find a few members who walk and play with them.

I walk a good bit and usually have to wait on the riding twosome to catch up after looking for balls and riding to each others shot.

Many guys ride so they can play music, have an iphone holder, and a cooler for their beer.

Our European members are probably laughing at this thread.

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

Walking is more fun when the entire group walks.

Mixed walkers and riders isn't bad when the course is backed up and it's a 4+ hour round.

The cart riders get to their balls quick, but have to wait for the green to clear, while the walker(s) catch up.

If the cart riders are fast/decent players, know how to use a cart and there is no wait, then a walker can't keep up with the pace.

Young guys are riding because they learned how to play that way with the cart fee included in the price at most public courses.

I enjoy walking, and unless it's 99 with killer humidity, I'd rather walk.

But all things being equal, if there is no one in front of you and everyone is equal skill and etiquette level, walkers slow down riders and messes up the vibe of a group. I've been the walker before, and I've noticed it. I'm a 4 cap, and can finish a round as a twosome in a cart comfortably under 3 hours, but I still slow down my double digit buddies if I walk and they ride.

Now, if the course is busy and you're looking at a 4 hour round regardless, I don't see what difference it makes if one guys walking or not.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

I've had to use a cart for the last two weeks due to being crook. The other three walk. All I do is hare off and look for any balls so the walkers don't have to, then keep the cart the same pace as the walkers for the rest of the hole.

A few months back, our Club Champs allowed carts. Two of us were walking and the other two rode. We had holes where the other two were on the putting green while we were still hitting our approaches. It was a ridiculous, they got to stalk their putts for an extra few minutes and we're semi trying to keep up.

something not yet mentioned but to be aware of....

certain golfers tend to indulge themselves of things that they do not want always noticed by others and riding off in carts allows that.

to add, they may wish to just be together as a pair and enjoy their own company.

so it goes.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

I don't like to be the only walker. I don't feel right when I'm riding with a friend, there are two carts, three riders, and a walker. Why? Conversation is hard. Timing is different. We talk while we walk. We talk when we ride. Or we don't. Looking for a partner's ball is hard when they're in a cart looking and you're walking. Otherwise we're golfing. Is it a big deal, nope, but I'd choose to be with a walking group or a riding group. Two walkers and two riders is OK too, but it helps to have a buddy in the cart or walking whichever you're doing. Pace of play can be an issue, but not in the afternoons when I'm likely to be in this situation...

All personal preference and for me I will walk when I feel like it and ride if my playing partners all ride. If you do not play a whole lot with the guys who invite you, then pay the cart fee and enjoy the ride. Not really sure one way or another if it really bothers me if some one wants to ride versus walking. Im 41 and dont mind the walk but also know that it does sap my energy for the rest of the day and with kids waiting for me to be energetic after a round, riding sometimes makes sense.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

I'm one of those guys.

Due to knee issues, I mostly ride. There is a group of seniors, many of which are super seniors, that play Tuesday mornings from forward tees. The vast majority of them walk with a trolley. I am young by their standards, and it really bothers me that I'm riding, and they're walking. It doesn't feel like I'm in the group, and it's difficult to converse. However, next season I plan to attempt to walk, and carry a Sunday bag with 6 or 7 clubs.

In the immortal words of dear old mom ... "take a chance, your mother did".

I dont like it when one guy in our foursome walks and the rest of us are riding...especially if the lone Walker is my partner in a match. I prefer the camaraderie and conversation, plus a lone walker typically throws the rhythm/pace of the round off.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

OP: Find a few members who walk and play with them.

I walk a good bit and usually have to wait on the riding twosome to catch up after looking for balls and riding to each others shot.

Many guys ride so they can play music, have an iphone holder, and a cooler for their beer.

Our European members are probably laughing at this thread.

I have a robot walking cart, it carries my beer and bluetooth speaker for the music

If there are long 'green to tee' walks then walking with riders can be a problem. Other than that walkers and riders tend to play the same total speed (in my experience) but the timing is different. For example, if the walker is the short hitter in a group then the riders will notice the timing issue. If not then the walker will probably not hold up second shots on par 4's and 5's.

dave

ps. I once played with a walker who would try to be first off the tee (easy to do in most cases - ready golf) and then walk toward his ball from way off in the woods (tree lined course). That was an interesting solution.

Walking is more fun when the entire group walks.

Mixed walkers and riders isn't bad when the course is backed up and it's a 4+ hour round.

The cart riders get to their balls quick, but have to wait for the green to clear, while the walker(s) catch up.

If the cart riders are fast/decent players, know how to use a cart and there is no wait, then a walker can't keep up with the pace.

Young guys are riding because they learned how to play that way with the cart fee included in the price at most public courses.

I push a cart and half-jog. I do a round in 1:45 when I'm first out. Wanna race? Lol

I know I am an outlier, sorry is that came of wrong I'm just messing around.

Our group ranges from 30's to 70's and there is no rhyme or reason as to who walks or rides. We do our best to pair up the riders and walkers but sometimes it doesn't work. I don't think it impacts anyone either way.

Personally, I walk as much as possible for a myriad of reasons. I don't mind being paired up with riders and don't think they're slowed down 1 bit by a walker.

Something to add in my previous post. "Cart Path Only" situations. I absolutely HATE it when I show up at a nice course that requires carts and they are cart path only. Several times I've had them tell me I couldn't walk the course cause it will take too long!! Are you kidding me?!?! WTF?!?! Worst case scenario for a golfer, ever!

At all costs, I will try to find someone to ride with so I can just take my carry bag and walk out to the ball. Then just walk the rest of the way to the green and ride to the next tee.

Very annoying.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize