Chicago - Best/Worst Par 3's

Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 20,410 ✭✭
OK, so what do you think are some of the best and worst par 3's in the area. I assume there will be holes that fall on both lists depending on how one defines "best". I think a good par 3 should be challenging without be overly penal. A birdie should require an excellent tee shot, and a par should require a bit of precision. A bad hole can be bad for a variety of reasons, including just being a boring 'ol hole that is too short.

I know a few of you don't care for the 13th at Harborside (Starboard). However, I think it's a great hole. Depending on the wind it can require a fairway wood, or a mid iron. The green is actually fairly generous, but from the tee it looks small. getting up and down from any of the bunkers, especially the back left bunker, is tough. Being long and left in the sloping rough is no picnic either with the hazard framing the green and the slope running away from you. I think I've birdied it once. The bogies and doubles are numerous.

I think the par 3 15th Anchor Hole on the Port course is one of the worst in the area. It's basically a gimmick. With the pin in the back left one has only 18 yards to work with. A pin in the front right is probably worse, and the green is too narrow for the distance. The par 3 12th is a close 2nd, only because it's the most boring hole on the two courses. On a quality layout, one should not be hitting a gap wedge to a fairly large green.

Comments

• ShrinerShriner Members Posts: 67 ✭✭
    This is a tough one, here is my stab at it:

My favorite:

So many likeable Par 3's. I will go with Prairie Landing #12. Clocks in around 200 with most of the yardage over water. There is a little room right and left before woods come into play. Very picturesque and very playable as long as you clear the water. You feel isolated on this hole from the rest of the course. Challenging but fair hole.

Honorable mention:

- Hilldale #13 with the lilly pads in the water.

- Oak Grove #3, uphill 200 yards, but surrounded by nature. Everything is right in front of you but you need a well struck shot.

Least favorite:

Makray Memorial Hole 4. It is about 170ish, with a huge downhill drop which makes club selection very difficult. If that was the only issue, I would say it is a nice hole. However, the green is extremely narrow with water off the right fringe which moves in and out of the green. Left is a few trees with a very difficult chip. You almost have to play short or aim left and hope you are not behind a tree. Look at a picture if you do not believe me! A bogey is an awesome score.
  • mci711mci711 ChicagoMembers Posts: 1,024 ✭✭
    edited Dec 11, 2018 #3
    14 at Mistwood.. Biased, had a hole in 1 there. But I like the long yardage, with water, elevated tee.

11 at Ruffled Feathers - island green, should be an easy hole, but surrounded by water gets in your mind.

Ravisloe has a handful. I'll say my favorite is 15, short but a lot of back to front slope and tough bunkers surrounding the green. 6 is a good shorty too.
  • VNutzVNutz Members Posts: 6,101 ✭✭
    edited Dec 11, 2018 #4
    Worst - Tanna Farms #1, sets a bad, but appropriate, tone for the rest of the round.
  • Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 20,410 ✭✭
    edited Dec 11, 2018 #5
    Agree with Makray #4. The green is much too narrow.

Ruffled Feathers #11 is solid. The par 3 3rd is no slouch, either. I think the 17th is actually the course's best, though. With the pin in the back left, and a headwind, it's a beast.

Besides RD #11, how many other par 3's with island greens do we have in the area? Cantigny Woodland #8, and Bolingbrook's #15?

Prairie Landing #12 is solid and quite tough as well. DP, isn't PL #12 the backdrop for your great story when when you were dating a lady teaching pro, or am I confusing names/places?
    VNutz wrote:

Worst - Tanna Farms #1, sets a bad, but appropriate, tone for the rest of the round.

On the flip side, Willow Crest's par 3 18th is a letdown. 'Not a fan of closing with a par 3. Now, if they flipped the nines, it would be a very good 9th hole, and the current 9th would make an excellent closing hole with the water on the left.
    edited Dec 11, 2018 #7
    Can't forget Big Run's 13th. Again, I'm sure there's a lot of hate on this hole, but I think it's a tough, but fair test.

cover.jpg
  • Qball24Qball24 Members Posts: 14
    14th At mistwood

3rd at prarie landing.

17th at Blackstone.

Agree on the 13th at Hilldale.

11th and 17th at Bridges of Poplar.

The hole over water to a double green ar Cantigny (dont rememember which 9 its on)

2nd at orchard valley

Least favorite is whatever hole at Eaglewood is 90 yards from the tips

• taylorx300taylorx300 Members Posts: 1,265 ✭✭
    17 at Kemper for both choices
    M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
    M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
    M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
    P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
    52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
    59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
    60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
    Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black
  • zer0zer0 Members Posts: 1,469 ✭✭
    Deerfield #16 is my favorite since I aced it back in 1984. Orange top flite X-out looks awesome in the trophy case.

I really like HOE #4, the downhill shorty with lots of places the ball can run off the green.

I dislike Ravisloe I think its #9, the one that's 200 yards of all carry.
    edited Dec 11, 2018 #11
    taylorx300 wrote:

17 at Kemper for both choices

I think So Yeon would agree with you. Putting a ball in the water during the final round of this year's PGA Championship cost her a major, and a cool $250,000.

Yeon+Ryu+KPMG+Women+PGA+Championship+Final+YmvKkBrPOEql.jpg

Yeon+Ryu+KPMG+Women+PGA+Championship+Final+nbUsTG4giSRl.jpg
    edited Dec 11, 2018 #12
    zer0 wrote:

I dislike Ravisloe I think its #9, the one that's 200 yards of all carry.

That's the 7th, a long par 3 over water. Plenty of bailout right, but still a tough hole. I think the par 3 4th is a bit harder with the narrow green and deep bunkers. The 11th also plays over 200 yards, although there is less trouble.
  • geochitowngeochitown Members Posts: 1,672 ✭✭
    edited Dec 11, 2018 #13
    I think Mt Prospect #4 is a great par 3. plays about 195-225 from the back tees and tips.

Reverse redan (left to right bend around green-side bunker right).

Birdie is tough to get, and par isn't a picnic either as the green has a large false front and good movement on the green.

One can bail out right and have a pitch over bunkers to a green that slopes back to the hitter.

Don't like Ruffled Feathers #3.(only played RF once)

Longish hole with a small green and water up the right side.

I like Bowes Creek #14. difficult hole, with the green benched into a hillside with a big fallaway left if you miss.

Thunderhawk #3, #6 and #17 are solid par 3's (17 has bitten me a bunch of times, when that flag is in the back of the green). That native grass on the hill greenside left is brutal.
    Lead Tape lovingly applied - Driver through GW
    TEE XCG7 Beta +1* to 11.5* - TP6HD Firm tipped xx" - 44.25" (CANNON!)
    TEE XCG7 Beta 5W 18* - Matrix 8M2 stiff tipped 1.625" at 41.75"
    TEE XCG7 Beta 22*H - Diamana Thump T93 Stiff untipped at 38.75"
    TEE XCG7 Beta 25*H - Diamana Thump i465ct 4i shaft stiff 38.25"
    Maxfli Revolution Black 5-PW (27,31,35,39,43,48) at -1/2" length DGS300U
    Vokey SM4 52-08F
    Cleveland TA588 57-10 (bent to 56*)
    Vokey SM5 58-07S (bent to 60*)
    SC Futura X5r 33' flownecked by Bastain milled - cerakote sniper gray - silver dots and white sight line
     Coutour Dornoch Putter 33" - 365g Head - SS Flatso 2.0
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,339 ClubWRX
    Argonne69 wrote:

Agree with Makray #4. The green is much too narrow.

Ruffled Feathers #11 is solid. The par 3 3rd is no slouch, either. I think the 17th is actually the course's best, though. With the pin in the back left, and a headwind, it's a beast.

Besides RD #11, how many other par 3's with island greens do we have in the area? Cantigny Woodland #8, and Bolingbrook's #15?

Prairie Landing #12 is solid and quite tough as well. DP, isn't PL #12 the backdrop for your great story when when you were dating a lady teaching pro, or am I confusing names/places?

You are correct Sir. Love that hole if nothing more than for the memory.
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,339 ClubWRX
    As a set of par 3's, I'm not sure that there are any better than Oak Grove. Subtle nuisances on each and all visually appealing. Just like Tanna.
    edited Dec 11, 2018 #16
    don't know Tanna (sacrilege, I know), but I'll agree on the solidness of Oak Grove's overall set of par 3's...
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Vokey SM4 52-08F
    SC Futura X5r 33' flownecked by Bastain milled - cerakote sniper gray - silver dots and white sight line
  • ApindaraApindara Members Posts: 1
    HOE #7 is a great hole. Stout shot with the marshy pond all up the left side.
  • Thunder DanThunder Dan Members Posts: 1,240 ✭✭
    Worst par 3s:

#13 Starboard Harborside - hole is nearly impossible to play from yellows. It’s normally 235 plus a nice wind into your face and there is zero bailout because of the giant green side bunker left of the green. So when the wind is humming it’s not a fair fight. If you play it left it’s pretty much a guarantee you’ll make bogey or worse unless you have Phil Mickelson’s short game because of how the green slopes. The only way to play the hole is to stick the green from 235 or go long.. but not too long as there is also no bailout.

Anchor hole is terrible too because it’s backwards. When pin is left you have to stick a 210 yard shot on a 10 yard strip of green, when it’s right front it’s not such a bad hole

All of Harborsides par 3s are bad come to think of it. They are all either way too easy or way too hard. 17 Starboard is the best one in my opinion
    Apindara wrote:

HOE #7 is a great hole. Stout shot with the marshy pond all up the left side.

Agree completely. We've started playing the hole as a little punch shot down the right side and letting the slope do all the work from there.
    I feel that the par 3 14th at Dubs is a solid par 3. Seems to play longer than the scorecard indicates, and it's well protected.

I don't particularly care for the 6th. 'Bit of a snoozer. The overall issue with Dubs' par 3's is that they all basically play the same distance.
    The Glen Club has two really solid par 3's, the 11th and 17th. The 11th plays a little longer, but the 17th has the tougher green IMO. Both have water left.

glen_club_large-1.jpg
  • mci711mci711 ChicagoMembers Posts: 1,024 ✭✭
    Argonne69 wrote:

I feel that the par 3 14th at Dubs is a solid par 3. Seems to play longer than the scorecard indicates, and it's well protected.

I don't particularly care for the 6th. 'Bit of a snoozer. The overall issue with Dubs' par 3's is that they all basically play the same distance.

I actually love Dubs par 3s. It would be nice if they had 1 short one in there maybe. You don't get the variety you get other places, but you have 4 really good par 3s, they just happen to be similar. But, I agree about 14, seems to play longer and 12 plays a little shorter. The 14 complex is very nice.
  • Thunder DanThunder Dan Members Posts: 1,240 ✭✭
    I think the best par 3 in area is #4 at Ravisloe. You can make a 2 or a 6 on that hole. Strategy can change with pin placement. If you miss the green it's a bogey.

I also like #3 at Cantigny Woodside. The hole messes with your head a bit because of how the bunkers appear closer than they are. Plenty of room to bailout on the 200 yard shot.
  • B-ManB-Man silky smooth Members Posts: 1,289 ✭✭
    Worst: GDN 17th

Best: GDN 17th

Vapor Speed Driver
    TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW

TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW
    Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW
    Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, 56/10, 60/9
    TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick

BOOM!
    surprised you didn't mention The Preserve's 10th, B-Man...
    Vokey SM4 52-08F
    geochitown wrote:

surprised you didn't mention The Preserve's 10th, B-Man...

Good point. Can I vote twice?
    Vapor Speed Driver

BOOM!
    geochitown wrote:

surprised you didn't mention The Preserve's 10th every par 3 at Tanna Farms, B-Man...

Updated for appropriateness.
    DavePelz4 wrote:

geochitown wrote:

surprised you didn't mention The Preserve's 10th every par 3 at Tanna Farms, B-Man...

Updated for appropriateness.

Well I never bogeyed any of those. Yet.
    Vapor Speed Driver

BOOM!
  • ldchristopherldchristopher Members Posts: 916 ✭✭
    I’ll give another vote for the 13th at Big Run. Also, the 7th at Highlands of Elgin. Elevated tee, water left, bail out front right, and the green has a lot of undulation. I’ve made 2 and I’ve made 6.

The worst par 3 is easy: the 5th at Blackstone. Unnecessarily long, causes backups galore, and has a miniature golf green. Move the tips to the golds and it’s fine, but 234 with that green (as well as trees on both sides and the possibility of errant tee shots on 6) creates pace nightmares.
    Driver: Titleist 917 D2 10.5° w/ Aldila Rogue Max 65 stiff
    3 Wood: Titleist 917 F2 15° w/ Aldila Rogue Black 80 stiff
    5 Wood: Titleist 917 F2 18˚ w/ Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 80 extra stiff
    Hybrid: Titleist 816H 21˚ w/ Aldila Rogue Max 85 stiff
    Irons: Titleist 712U (4) Cobra King CB (5-6)/MB (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 120 stiff
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey Cold Forged 52°/8° 58°/10°
    Putter: Piretti Cottonwood II w/ black onyx finish
  • Qball24Qball24 Members Posts: 14
    edited Dec 13, 2018 #30
    That is a good call for worst Par 3 on an otherwise very nice course ( my nomination was for an executive type course)

Edit: that makes me think of a common theme that comes up during our rounds. if you lined up the top 20 golfers in the world at the 5th at Blackstone from the tips, what would the average score be?
  • ldchristopherldchristopher Members Posts: 916 ✭✭
    Qball24 wrote:

That is a good call for worst Par 3 on an otherwise very nice course ( my nomination was for an executive type course)

Edit: that makes me think of a common theme that comes up during our rounds. if you lined up the top 20 golfers in the world at the 5th at Blackstone from the tips, what would the average score be?

Probably right around par. The difference between pros and us is night and day but that hole wouldn't generate a lot of birdies because of the tricked out green. I've seen a grand total of one birdie on that hole ever. Some guy I was grouped up with ripped a T-MB 2 iron to inside 8 feet and made the putt.
    Driver: Titleist 917 D2 10.5° w/ Aldila Rogue Max 65 stiff
    3 Wood: Titleist 917 F2 15° w/ Aldila Rogue Black 80 stiff
    5 Wood: Titleist 917 F2 18˚ w/ Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 80 extra stiff
    Hybrid: Titleist 816H 21˚ w/ Aldila Rogue Max 85 stiff
    Irons: Titleist 712U (4) Cobra King CB (5-6)/MB (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 120 stiff
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey Cold Forged 52°/8° 58°/10°
    Putter: Piretti Cottonwood II w/ black onyx finish