If I cut down g400 max from 45.5 to 44.5 what weight would I need?

Kuuuch

Thinking about cutting down my g400 max to 44.5 and I have the standard weight in the head - what weight would I need to get from ping to even out the swingweight change? I cut down my previous driver 917 D2 from 45.5 to 44" and hated it, couldn't feel the clubface at all so I want to make sure I adjust the SW this time. I have the tour 65x shaft in it if it matters, thanks.

I don't think there is any standard weight so you would need to measure swing weight before and ofter in all likelihood. You could just cut it down and see if you like it without going back to the original swing weight. Well respected club makers have posted here numerous times to approach it that way.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

There is a standard for shortening a shaft, 6 swing weight points for every inch, 2g of weight per swing weight point. So you'd need 12 more grams than whatever weight is in there now. You will likely want to experiment a bit if that feels wrong to you but that will restore the same swing weight you had previously.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Kuch your 917 was possibly at D zero before you cut it.Thats why it felt bad.

Yes i did measure my 917d2 stock at dzero

Get the swingweight measured on the Ping before you cut it..try half inch first.

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

I’m going to go in tomorrow try some different lengths and talk with the fitter etc. I’m still not entirely sold on the G400 max 9* over my m4 10.5 the ping has the tour 65x shaft which I got fitted for but it’s cheap so if I cut it down 1†and don’t like it then it’s not the end of the world.

Use your wrench to remove rear weight and then gently pry out the black weight. It will be stamped. My head had 7 gram. Golfworks sells weights for the G400 Max. Use a weight that's 12 grams heavier.

But, I would get swing weight checked for baseline. Cut down shaft and then add 2 grams of lead tape to the head until you like the feel. Test at range...then replace the weight with new amount and remove lead tape. That is the best suggestion. You probably will find that you do not need to add as much weight as the 12 grams.

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

If it is Ping standard now at 45.75” you cut it down 1.25 inches, you will lower the SW about 6.25 points. It’s 6.25 x 1.6 grams= 10 grams more weight to return it to the original SW.

The common numbers used a lot on this site are 6 points per inch and 2 grams per point, but that is not actually accurate for drivers and woods. It’s correct for mid irons.

It is about 5 points per inch and 1.6 grams per point for drivers. Those numbers get larger as the club gets shorter.

As others have said, it isn’t always necessary to go all the way back to the original SW. Sometimes a little lighter works for people.

I always go back to D-3 on mine. I play all my drivers at 43.5”. If it is 1.5” short, that’s 7.5 points x 1.6 = 12 grams.

• Like 1

Use your wrench to remove rear weight and then gently pry out the black weight. It will be stamped. My head had 7 gram. Golfworks sells weights for the G400 Max. Use a weight that's 12 grams heavier.

But, I would get swing weight checked for baseline. Cut down shaft and then add 2 grams of lead tape to the head until you like the feel. Test at range...then replace the weight with new amount and remove lead tape. That is the best suggestion. You probably will find that you do not need to add as much weight as the 12 grams.

I didn't know any of that. Very interesting. Thanks

If it is Ping standard now at 45.75 you cut it down 1.25 inches, you will lower the SW about 6.25 points. Its 6.25 x 1.6 grams= 10 grams more weight to return it to the original SW.

I could be wrong, but I think the tour shafts are 45.25? At least that’s what I saw on the Ping website under the shaft part of the driver.

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Tensei Blue
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Taylormade TP5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

If it is Ping standard now at 45.75” you cut it down 1.25 inches, you will lower the SW about 6.25 points. It’s 6.25 x 1.6 grams= 10 grams more weight to return it to the original SW.

I could be wrong, but I think the tour shafts are 45.25? At least that’s what I saw on the Ping website under the shaft part of the driver.

Ahhh. Good catch. The Tour shaft is an upgrade and is just 45.25 stock. Interesting. I’m guessing the standard stock shafts must be a bit counterbalanced so they make them a 1/2 inch longer at 45.75 and end up at the same swingweight.

So redo the math. He s only shortening ,75 inch. That’s 3.75 points X 1.6 grams = 6 grams extra needed to stay at original SW.

https://ping.com/clubs/drivers/g400-max

If it is Ping standard now at 45.75" you cut it down 1.25 inches, you will lower the SW about 6.25 points. It's 6.25 x 1.6 grams= 10 grams more weight to return it to the original SW.

The common numbers used a lot on this site are 6 points per inch and 2 grams per point, but that is not actually accurate for drivers and woods. It's correct for mid irons.

It is about 5 points per inch and 1.6 grams per point for drivers. Those numbers get larger as the club gets shorter.

As others have said, it isn't always necessary to go all the way back to the original SW. Sometimes a little lighter works for people.

I always go back to D-3 on mine. I play all my drivers at 43.5". If it is 1.5" short, that's 7.5 points x 1.6 = 12 grams.

Thanks for pointing out that difference, I knew that number varied a touch in either direction depending on club but I didn't know it was that much.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

If it is Ping standard now at 45.75" you cut it down 1.25 inches, you will lower the SW about 6.25 points. It's 6.25 x 1.6 grams= 10 grams more weight to return it to the original SW.

The common numbers used a lot on this site are 6 points per inch and 2 grams per point, but that is not actually accurate for drivers and woods. It's correct for mid irons.

As others have said, it isn't always necessary to go all the way back to the original SW. Sometimes a little lighter works for people.

I always go back to D-3 on mine. I play all my drivers at 43.5". If it is 1.5" short, that's 7.5 points x 1.6 = 12 grams.

Thanks for pointing out that difference, I knew that number varied a touch in either direction depending on club but I didn't know it was that much.

I used to hesitate to even bring it up because it’s easily confusing to people if they don’t know exactly how the swingweight scale works. The farther you get away from the fulcrum point, the less it takes to change the scale. With the driver that rule is the most pronounced because it’s the longest club and the head is the farthest from the fulcrum. The opposite is true for the shortest clubs, the wedges. It’s actually a bit MORE than 2 grams per point for them.

Its so much easier to just say 6 points and 2 grams for everything, but when you get up to the driver it’s just not really accurate enough. People end up adding quite a bit too much weight. If they don’t have access to a SW scale it can lead to some damn heavy clubs.

Actually it's easier (and usually results in a better fit in the long run) to just forget about the swing weight values altogether (even if you have a scale) and just get some lead tape to play around with. Go to the range and add it a few grams at a time. Choose a final value based on feel and the impact, and ball flight. Those 'rules' for adjusting SW were never meant to be used in the context of refitting a club after shortening it that much.

Actually it's easier (and usually results in a better fit in the long run) to just forget about the swing weight values altogether (even if you have a scale) and just get some lead tape to play around with. Go to the range and add it a few grams at a time. Choose a final value based on feel and the impact, and ball flight. Those 'rules' for adjusting SW were never meant to be used in the context of refitting a club after shortening it that much.

To add to this, if your not happy with the club now, why would you assume chasing the same swingweight would make you happy?

Really good advice...use 2 grams at a time strips if lead tape. Once it's where you like, you can replace the lead tape with the new weight for a clean look.

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

This is the answer, and I can't emphasize it enough!

In most cases, if you add back enough weight to the head to return the club to an arbitrary predetermined swing weight, the club will feel terrible, and maybe perform poorly as well. It is an easy enough matter to follow Stuart G's steps and then order an after-market weight that matches the amount of tape you found to feel best.

I had my G400 Max built by Ping at 43.5" - the additional weight (the black plastic) is marked at 18 (I'm assuming grams!!)

It works for me - on course testing is similar to my launch monitor experience at a Ping demo day - tighter dispersion, higher flight, longer carries....

Cheers

Ready for 2024

Ping G430 12* at 44.5" - Ping Tour Chrome Reg 65g
Ping G430 5, 7 AND 9 - Ping Tour Chrome Reg 75g (all standard length)
Callaway Apex 21 DCB 6 -A - TT MPH 95 S
Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black 54 & 58 - TT DG Spinner

Ping ChipR
Kia Ma Maranello/Odyssey 2-Ball Ten S Red (plus several others on the bench!!)

One of the other experts on here will know the answer - but I ordered mine a fortnight ago and it came with the 18g weight - I'm guessing that they maintain the original swing weight .

I didn't have to do a thing :taunt:

Ready for 2024

Ping ChipR

Yes I did - I'd been playing the G driver and gripping down about half way to get some consistency.

I did a static measure and read loads of stuff on here (the club making forum - now that's a parallel universe!! BUT incredibly helpful) including Tom Wishon's take on driver length - broadly no average golfer should be playing a driver at more than 44" - AND I'm a very average golfer.....

So at the demo day I asked for a shorter shaft (according to Tom Wishon's charts I should be at 43.5") - we put the Alta 3 wood shaft into the Max head and the rest as they say is history...

IIRC - launch angle about perfect, clubhead speed up and ball speed up about 10mph carry was up about 25yards (admittedly these were Trackman figures but were vs my own G driver). Fitter wasn't too keen on going as low as 43.5" but the Trackman figures convinced me.

Roll forward to REAL WORLD testing - I've hit some of the best drives I've seen BUT more importantly I'm on the fairway as opposed to behind a tree.....so to say I'm happy with my choice would be an understatement

And I think it's appropriate to say thanks to the members on here AND Tom Wishon for convincing me that shorter was the way forward.

Cheers

Sumo

Ready for 2024

Ping ChipR

I ordered a 1” shorter Tour 65 shaft a while back and love it. Driving the ball straighter than ever. After seeing this I’m going to order the 18g weight and see how it feels. My only complaint would’ve been I can’t really feel the club head. More weight should help that!

Check what weight you have now before you spend your money!

Just one thing to note. Adding more weight to the head is going to make the shaft feel softer. If that is a concern you may need to tip the shaft a little to compensate.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

I ordered a 1” shorter Tour 65 shaft a while back and love it. Driving the ball straighter than ever. After seeing this I’m going to order the 18g weight and see how it feels. My only complaint would’ve been I can’t really feel the club head. More weight should help that!

It was a stock length G400 so probably has the standard 7g weight. I will look before I order it.

It was a stock length G400 so probably has the standard 7g weight. I will look before I order it.

I have a 16g weight just sitting here. I can send it to you if you want it. Shoot me a message

Just got back from testing things out for about an hour with my fitter. Ended up leaving knowing 1) I hit the g400max more accurate than the m4 and about the same distance 2) I needed 10.5 head so we swapped out my 9* 3) we decided on 44.5” so inch off what I had it at.

He advised I try it out and if I want weight he can stick weight down in the bottom of the shaft and plug it or I can order a heavier weight.

I have the standard 7g weight in mine what weight would I need to order 16 or 18?

Took the weight out tonight (a bugger to get out) and its a 13 gram. I forgot I did buy the G400 just the head from an Ebay dealer, then used a couple shafts I already had around. Joker91 was kind enough to offer to send me his 16 he has laying around so I'll give that a try. See if I notice a difference.

Yes I did - I'd been playing the G driver and gripping down about half way to get some consistency.

I did a static measure and read loads of stuff on here (the club making forum - now that's a parallel universe!! BUT incredibly helpful) including Tom Wishon's take on driver length - broadly no average golfer should be playing a driver at more than 44" - AND I'm a very average golfer.....

So at the demo day I asked for a shorter shaft (according to Tom Wishon's charts I should be at 43.5") - we put the Alta 3 wood shaft into the Max head and the rest as they say is history...

IIRC - launch angle about perfect, clubhead speed up and ball speed up about 10mph carry was up about 25yards (admittedly these were Trackman figures but were vs my own G driver). Fitter wasn't too keen on going as low as 43.5" but the Trackman figures convinced me.

Roll forward to REAL WORLD testing - I've hit some of the best drives I've seen BUT more importantly I'm on the fairway as opposed to behind a tree.....so to say I'm happy with my choice would be an understatement

And I think it's appropriate to say thanks to the members on here AND Tom Wishon for convincing me that shorter was the way forward.

Cheers

Sumo

Typical. Great numbers and happy with the club at 43.5” but the fitter tries to talk you out of it.

So many “fitters” can’t deal with the idea of anything less than about 44”. Sadly, Only a tiny percentage would ever suggest trying it at 43.5”. Every time I try a new driver at a shop I use a 3 wood shaft or I bring my own driver shaft if I have one with the proper tip. I also always bring my own lead tape to slap about 12 grams of weight on it so it doesn’t feel like a feather.

I’ve been at 43.5” since the mid 90’s. I don’t care how long the idiot manufacturers chose to make the damn things. 43.5” for life for me.