Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Drinking and Golf - Poll

2»

Comments

• freeze16172002freeze16172002 Members Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    Drinking is what the game was built on. Isnt there 18 holes because of 18 shots or drinks in a bottle. Dont tell me it is a rumor, I have very little and I need this
  • ohioglfrohioglfr Municipal Junkie Dayton, OhioMembers Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was young, beer went well with golf and pocket billiards. Today, approaching 65 years, drinking would probably kill my game, let alone the frequent trips to the loo.

Better to do my drinking at the 19th hole, celebrate the good shots and try to forget the bad ones.

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S)
    Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R)
    Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R)
    Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R)
    Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R)
    Ping Darby Sigma G

• Flat4BoxerFlat4Boxer Members Posts: 76 ✭✭✭
    Shot a front nine back in the ‘90’s 1 under and well on my way to my first par score. Grabbed a hot dog and a couple beers at the turn. Shot 87. Have refused to drink while playing since.
  • bigred90gtbigred90gt Lefty Boomers Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Flat4Boxer wrote:

Shot a front nine back in the ‘90’s 1 under and well on my way to my first par score. Grabbed a hot dog and a couple beers at the turn. Shot 87. Have refused to drink while playing since.
    been there done that. My first 9 ever under par, shot a 35. Got a single beer at the turn and proceeded to put up a 53 on the back.
  • 1puttTUT1puttTUT Lefty with occasional game Members Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    bigred90gt wrote:

Flat4Boxer wrote:

been there done that. My first 9 ever under par, shot a 35. Got a single beer at the turn and proceeded to put up a 53 on the back.

I couldn't be more opposite. Sober front nine 42, three beer back nine 35 is something I have literally done 50 times lol
    Cobra F8 10.5D w/ Hazardous Yellow
    Cobra F8 16* w/ Aldila Blue 2KXVs
    Titleist 915H 18* w/Aldila Rogue 95MSI
    Titleist 913H 21* w/Diamana 92Hy
    Titleist 915H 24* w/Diamana 92Hy
    Mizuno 919F 66-GW w/Nippon Modus3 105s
    Titleist Vokey SM6 54*/58* w/ Nippon Modus3 125s
    TP Mills Trad II roundneck
  • Jacob37Jacob37 Members Posts: 95 ✭✭
    Always have a few during the round and several afterwards. Just a relaxing day on the course
  • eagles1eagles1 Members Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Feb 20, 2019 5:48pm #38
    CEPick wrote:

touch wrote:

After the round I'll have a beer/beverage with the group. It is proper golf etiquette to do so.

I never consume alcohol during my round as even one half a cold one brings down my game.

Now on the other hand I do occasionally consume another relaxation item while playing.

That substance does not interfere with my golfing ability one bit. But there wasn't a box for it in the Poll.

weed-leaf-pc5b6M5di.jpeg

Hit the ole 1 iron huh?

With a 420cc head.
  • Pooh_BearPooh_Bear Members Posts: 99 ✭✭
    I drink early and often. Flask in the bag. bring a 30 oz bloody from home. I have this tin container I can fit an entire bottle of champagne in. Cheaper the better. I like it when the headache starts hitting me on about the 12th hole. If I'm not drinking the champagne I'll usually drink maybe 4-6 beers with an occasional hit from the flask. Plus one or two cigars and I'm good. I only do this in tournaments. By myself I usually don't drink as I'm trying to get in the nine holes in under an hour.

I played this tournament last August in Disney. Florida state mid senior. I was really nervous for some reason. Like beside myself nervous. I did the 30 oz bloody, half bottle of champagne and a 1mg xanax before I got on the first tee to calm myself down. Bad decision. Started double triple. Wasn't nervous though.
  • 1puttTUT1puttTUT Lefty with occasional game Members Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Pooh_Bear wrote:

I drink early and often. Flask in the bag. bring a 30 oz bloody from home. I have this tin container I can fit an entire bottle of champagne in. Cheaper the better. I like it when the headache starts hitting me on about the 12th hole. If I'm not drinking the champagne I'll usually drink maybe 4-6 beers with an occasional hit from the flask. Plus one or two cigars and I'm good. I only do this in tournaments. By myself I usually don't drink as I'm trying to get in the nine holes in under an hour.

I played this tournament last August in Disney. Florida state mid senior. I was really nervous for some reason. Like beside myself nervous. I did the 30 oz bloody, half bottle of champagne and a 1mg xanax before I got on the first tee to calm myself down. Bad decision. Started double triple. Wasn't nervous though.

😂😂😂
    Cobra F8 10.5D w/ Hazardous Yellow
    Cobra F8 16* w/ Aldila Blue 2KXVs
    Titleist 915H 18* w/Aldila Rogue 95MSI
    Titleist 913H 21* w/Diamana 92Hy
    Titleist 915H 24* w/Diamana 92Hy
    Mizuno 919F 66-GW w/Nippon Modus3 105s
    Titleist Vokey SM6 54*/58* w/ Nippon Modus3 125s
    TP Mills Trad II roundneck
  • gyro25gyro25 Members Posts: 154 ✭✭
    Most rounds yeah I'll have a couple beers during.. nothing to the point where some friends get, but we also occasionally play beer holes (tee off /, crack beer, finish before you sink your putt and take a stroke off).
  • FlashinLeatherFlashinLeather Members Posts: 124 ✭✭✭
    Brews around the 4th hole. Cigars on the turn.
    Ping G400 Max 10.5 - AD DI 7x
    Callaway Rogue 3 Wood - Aldila Stiff
    Titleist 718 T-MB - 2i - X100
    TaylorMade P790 - 4i-AW - X100
    Vokey - 54, 58
    Bettinardi - QB6
    Srixon Z Star
  • LeftDaddyLeftDaddy Members Posts: 780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To answer the question, I never drink alcohol during a round of golf. The only thing I consume is water. I tried a few years back to have a few beers to see if that would loosen me up some...nope, made everything worse. So no alcohol on the course anymore.

And I guess there is just something wrong with me. I love a good drink as much as the next guy, but I couldn’t imagine drinking before about 6pm. Beer very often gives me a pretty bad headache, and at the very least makes me feel full and sleepy. The handful of times I’ve had drinks before dinner time, I’ve felt useless and miserable the rest of the day. Liquor doesn’t so much give me a headache, nor does it make me feel full, but it makes me feel awfully sleepy as well. I just don’t understand how people file into the men’s grill at lunchtime after their rounds, drink a few, and then go home about a normal weekend afternoon. I wish I could do it, but I’d hate myself through most of it.

I reserve drinking for dinner time or afterward, and only when I have nothing to do (except maybe some horizontal olympics) after dinner. Horizontal olympics is about the only “sport” that is somewhat enhanced for me by drinking...
    Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1
  • DrewBallinDrewBallin Members Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

Depends on the group I'm with. Normally at the turn we partake in some adult sodas. Definitely when we're done there is.

In my Cobra King stand bag

driver-- Cobra King LTD with ust elements fire x-stiff shaft
    hybrids-- Cobra F6 2/3 & 3/4
    irons-- Wilson Staff V6 raw 4-gw KBS tour 120 shafts
    wedge-- Callaway MD3 56* & 60* Dynamic gold shafts
    putter-- MLA tour mallet
  • Murphy76Murphy76 Members Posts: 101 ✭✭✭

After trying to play a high level of tennis while high-school drunk, I will never drink while playing any sport.
    The results of that particular occasion (barely remembered) taught me to never expend any physical effort while drinking. Bad things happen.

I love drinking in fact. Golf is sort of my AA. Golf all day, drink all night...... Wasn't that a glam-metal song in the 80's?

• 7ironDave7ironDave Members Posts: 24 ✭✭

I’ll have a few beers per 9 if we tee off later in the morning taking carts.
    If I play 9 after work I’ll have 1, maybe 2, while walking.
    Always a beer or 2 after the round to settle bets and recap the round. My local 9 hole finishes with a 130 par 3 , all carry, its fun having a beer watching people sink or swim on the last hole.

• SecondandGoalSecondandGoal South Shore MAMembers Posts: 325 ✭✭✭✭

I find that beer on the course is like beer during yardwork - I barely notice it because it's working out of my system faster. I don't usually drink before a round, largely because I'm either coming straight from work or finishing weekend errands, but there's almost always a beer cracked by the time we hit the second tee. Usually 2-4 per 9 holes, augmented by water. My wife does about half that. And the occasional birdie shot.

Most of our closest friends are also members at our club, so we'll usually go in for a beverage or two afterward.

There have definitely been times when the swing oil level has gotten a little too high, but those are few and far between, generally during charity scrambles.

• huckitchuckithuckitchuckit California Members Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

Thats part of golf for me. Dont get to golf much so when i do, I make a party out of it.

• Bob CatBob Cat Golfopath Members Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 5, 2019 1:34pm #49

"I challenge, transform, and instill confidence in young men through the life lessons learned from the game of golf."

Taylormade M1
    TaylorMade R5 Dual (3) / R580 (7)
    Ping i15 / Zing 2
    Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
    TM Spider Tour Black
    Titleist AVX
    Sun Mountain Four 5
    Clicgear 3.5+
  • BeerPerHoleBeerPerHole Members Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes yes. Sometimes no. Almost never more than 2 drinks during a round anymore. I love to sip high-grade IPA during a round, but half of my rounds are morning tee times - so not on those - maybe get one on the turn. This winter I'll break out my flask of Maker's Mark for the cold rounds... I do love a really cold IPA with lunch after a round. It gets hot as heck around here in the summers.

I see some here hitting the booze for their morning tee off. Man...can't do that...haha....

Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
    Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
    Ping G400 5-wood
    Taylormade Spider blade
    Srixon Z Star

Knee Deep Breaking Bud IPA

• RmatzenRmatzen Members Posts: 12 ✭✭

As a plebian in Manhattan, my warm up routine during winter consists of at least a few beers per round. Overall, it depends on why I'm playing though. 80% of the rounds are just me having a good time with my buddies, in which case I'll have a few and sometimes I'll have a few too many. If I'm really working on something, I'll have at most 2 maybe three over the entire round, but usually none. If I'm playing an incredibly nice course that I'll likely never game again I save the beers for the clubhouse.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file