Arcadia Bluffs - Michigan Golf

2»

Comments

  • ChunkAndRun2ChunkAndRun2 Members Posts: 27 ✭✭
    mci711 wrote:



    I've played there twice a year, every year since I moved to the state in about a decade ago. The greens can be fast and challenging, but I would never call them unfair. I think you can get yourself in some bad spots that might make you frustrated, but thats about the prior shot in my opinion. Number 6, 9, and 10 all come to mind with putting yourself on the wrong side of a flag.



    Now, if you just go to the short game area and look at that green, you will think somebody lost their mind, but I find the course to be nothing but fair.



    For what its worth, I would call their shoulder season rates the best deal in America, even with the 2019 rate going up to $100 (was $75 just a few years back).




    Not to get off track. But Kiawah's winter deal 2 rounds, and hotel for $300 is the best deal in America.




    Is that active now? Im having a hard time finding it. I've played Kiawah in October and the only reason I dont go back is because I can play Arcadia 4 times for the same price. But if you have found Ocean Course for $300 including accommodations, you sir have won the game.
    Driver - Titleist 913 D2
    3 Wood - Titleist 915
    Driving Iron - Mizuno MP 18 MCC
    4-PW - Titleist 716 CB
    Wedges - 50* 55* 60* Vokey SM7
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2.0
  • krtgolfingkrtgolfing Members Posts: 1,043 ✭✭

    mci711 wrote:



    I've played there twice a year, every year since I moved to the state in about a decade ago. The greens can be fast and challenging, but I would never call them unfair. I think you can get yourself in some bad spots that might make you frustrated, but thats about the prior shot in my opinion. Number 6, 9, and 10 all come to mind with putting yourself on the wrong side of a flag.



    Now, if you just go to the short game area and look at that green, you will think somebody lost their mind, but I find the course to be nothing but fair.



    For what its worth, I would call their shoulder season rates the best deal in America, even with the 2019 rate going up to $100 (was $75 just a few years back).




    Not to get off track. But Kiawah's winter deal 2 rounds, and hotel for $300 is the best deal in America.




    Is that active now? Im having a hard time finding it. I've played Kiawah in October and the only reason I dont go back is because I can play Arcadia 4 times for the same price. But if you have found Ocean Course for $300 including accommodations, you sir have won the game.




    https://kiawahresort.com/packages/golf/golf-or-gourmet-escape/



    Expires in late February. Tee time alone is $280. So one **** of deal!
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero Driver
    Taylor Made M2 3 Wood
    Taylor Made M2 3 Hybrid
    Taylor Made PSI 4 Iron - Approach Wedge
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54* & 60*
    Odyssey Works Red #1W S
  • ChunkAndRun2ChunkAndRun2 Members Posts: 27 ✭✭
    krtgolfing wrote:


    mci711 wrote:



    I've played there twice a year, every year since I moved to the state in about a decade ago. The greens can be fast and challenging, but I would never call them unfair. I think you can get yourself in some bad spots that might make you frustrated, but thats about the prior shot in my opinion. Number 6, 9, and 10 all come to mind with putting yourself on the wrong side of a flag.



    Now, if you just go to the short game area and look at that green, you will think somebody lost their mind, but I find the course to be nothing but fair.



    For what its worth, I would call their shoulder season rates the best deal in America, even with the 2019 rate going up to $100 (was $75 just a few years back).




    Not to get off track. But Kiawah's winter deal 2 rounds, and hotel for $300 is the best deal in America.




    Is that active now? Im having a hard time finding it. I've played Kiawah in October and the only reason I dont go back is because I can play Arcadia 4 times for the same price. But if you have found Ocean Course for $300 including accommodations, you sir have won the game.




    https://kiawahresort...gourmet-escape/



    Expires in late February. Tee time alone is $280. So one **** of deal!




    Now I've got to convince my wife to go on an unexpected trip to South Carolina. If she gets mad, can I blame you?
    Driver - Titleist 913 D2
    3 Wood - Titleist 915
    Driving Iron - Mizuno MP 18 MCC
    4-PW - Titleist 716 CB
    Wedges - 50* 55* 60* Vokey SM7
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2.0
  • ilikegolf26ilikegolf26 Members Posts: 1,021 ✭✭
    This is one of my favorite courses I’ve ever played.
  • BG5BG5 Members Posts: 1,144 ✭✭
    • Arcadia Bluffs is one of the best courses in the country and should not be missed. The views and overall quality of service are 5 stars and the course is playable as long as you play the correct set of tees. Dont miss Arcadia Bluffs and make sure you play the South course as well....its amazing
    Ping K15 Driver - 10.5*
    Ping K15 3 Wood 16* & 5 Wood 19*
    Ping Karsten Hybrids 19* 22* 25*
    Ping Karsten Irons 6-PW
    Ping Karsten Wedges 51* 55*
    Ping Scottsdale Greyhawk TR Putter
    WITB Link
  • hybrid25hybrid25 michiganMembers Posts: 1,554 ✭✭
    BG5 wrote:

    • Arcadia Bluffs is one of the best courses in the country and should not be missed. The views and overall quality of service are 5 stars and the course is playable as long as you play the correct set of tees. Dont miss Arcadia Bluffs and make sure you play the South course as well....its amazing

    Couldn't agree more. We played it in September on a 70* sunny calm day. What a treat, one that rivals anywhere in the world. The views were spectacular!
  • JHRJHR Charter Members Posts: 4,347 ✭✭
    The first time I played Arcadia I felt the same way as Kevin did. I felt the greens were too hopped up. I think they throw you off at first and they get in your head causing you to lose focus on the rest of the round worrying about putting. The second time I played it I knew what I had to do and I really enjoyed the round a lot more.



    I felt exactly the same way about Shepherds Hollow after my first time playing it. I have since played it a dozen times and I really enjoy the course now. From my experience I tend to " really " like a course when you play well versus a course you play poorly at.



    Arcadia is absolutely beautiful, A must play for anyone. You may just may have to give it a second or third chance to really appreciate what it is.
  • ChrismydawgChrismydawg JLo Members Posts: 395 ✭✭
    I cannot disagree more with the OP. We played Arcadia during a camping trip in the Manistee National Forest. We rolled up on a Wednesday at 12pm in our beat up truck with our golf apparel on. The bag boys greeted us just like we owned the place. Staff was inviting and friendly even though I'm sure we smelled like a campfire. This property is A1, no doubt about it. The course is in immaculate shape and the greens were tough, but undoubtedly fair. It was a true pleasure and it still ranks as my most favorite course I've ever played. Even had a guy playing bag pipes as we made our way up the 18th. It was a 5 hour round, which I don't mind. Also, for those who do these things there is no coolers allowed on the course and absolutely no music either.
  • Jose c.Jose c. Members Posts: 197 ✭✭
    just an amazing place,enjoy a beverage at sunset!
  • tideridertiderider Members Posts: 1,640 ✭✭
    it's a very nice course with great views ... the price wasn't over the top for a course of that nature - good shape, somewhat interesting layout and great views ... that said, i don't have a desire to go back there again after playing it this summer ... i'd go back to greywalls in a heartbeat, though ...
  • Jose c.Jose c. Members Posts: 197 ✭✭
    tiderider wrote:


    it's a very nice course with great views ... the price wasn't over the top for a course of that nature - good shape, somewhat interesting layout and great views ... that said, i don't have a desire to go back there again after playing it this summer ... i'd go back to greywalls in a heartbeat, though ...




    enjoyed greywalls this past summer,but would much rather play Arcadia. especially now with the new south course,which I had the pleasure to play last sept.makes Arcadia more attractive imo.
  • mci711mci711 ChicagoMembers Posts: 1,024 ✭✭
    Jose c. wrote:

    tiderider wrote:


    it's a very nice course with great views ... the price wasn't over the top for a course of that nature - good shape, somewhat interesting layout and great views ... that said, i don't have a desire to go back there again after playing it this summer ... i'd go back to greywalls in a heartbeat, though ...




    enjoyed greywalls this past summer,but would much rather play Arcadia. especially now with the new south course,which I had the pleasure to play last sept.makes Arcadia more attractive imo.




    Greywalls is fine, but there is no comparison. Arcadia and Forest Dunes are in a whole different category.
  • CDMCDM Members Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited Jan 27, 2019 2:10pm #44
    Played Aracdia and FD on same trip. Both are excellent but very different, I liked FD better overall.
  • JHRJHR Charter Members Posts: 4,347 ✭✭
    CDM wrote:


    Played Aracdia and FD on same trip. Both are excellent but very different, I liked FD better overall.




    Forest Dunes and the new course there The Loop are outstanding and the facilities are great as well. Very underrated courses because they are out in the middle of no where. I play there once a year and love the trip except for the gnats that consume you at certain points on the year.
  • mci711mci711 ChicagoMembers Posts: 1,024 ✭✭
  • kgeisler13kgeisler13 ClubWRX Posts: 329 ClubWRX
    Arcadia Bluffs is a beautiful piece of property. I for one do not like the lay of the course. I've played it twice and that is enough for me. I'm sure, I'd go back if I was invited but I will not make my own plans to play there. Also looks like I have to convince my wife to go to South Carolina next month lol.
    KG
  • CDMCDM Members Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited Jan 28, 2019 12:14pm #48
    kgeisler13 wrote:


    Arcadia Bluffs is a beautiful piece of property. I for one do not like the lay of the course. I've played it twice and that is enough for me. I'm sure, I'd go back if I was invited but I will not make my own plans to play there. Also looks like I have to convince my wife to go to South Carolina next month lol.




    I agree its an excellent piece of property. I also think the routing / holes are "decent" but they are not great. You realize quickly while playing it they did a lot of the routing to specifically to enhance the views of the lake vs the actual hole design. * I get why too as it is very scenic course. I considered it like Pebble so to speak, average golf holes but amazing views. Take away the Lake or Ocean at either course and personally I think the rating drops.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • mci711mci711 ChicagoMembers Posts: 1,024 ✭✭
    CDM wrote:

    kgeisler13 wrote:


    Arcadia Bluffs is a beautiful piece of property. I for one do not like the lay of the course. I've played it twice and that is enough for me. I'm sure, I'd go back if I was invited but I will not make my own plans to play there. Also looks like I have to convince my wife to go to South Carolina next month lol.




    I agree its an excellent piece of property. I also think the routing / holes are "decent" but they are not great. You realize quickly while playing it they did a lot of the routing to specifically to enhance the views of the lake vs the actual hole design. * I get why too it as it is very scenic course. I considered it like Pebble so to speak, average golf holes but amazing views. Take away the Lake or Ocean at either course and personally I think the rating drops.




    Least favorite take in golf... The ocean/lake/rivers/mountains etc are part of the course! Of course if you take away a key part of the design the course is downgraded. You can say that about literally every course that hugs a coast, but that is a huge reason why they are built where they are built.



    Also, which holes at pebble are average? Assuming you are going to say 11,12 14-16.. Have you played there? 15 and 16 were 2 of my favorite holes and they aren't on the water.
  • CDMCDM Members Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited Jan 28, 2019 12:28pm #50
    mci711 wrote:

    CDM wrote:

    kgeisler13 wrote:


    Arcadia Bluffs is a beautiful piece of property. I for one do not like the lay of the course. I've played it twice and that is enough for me. I'm sure, I'd go back if I was invited but I will not make my own plans to play there. Also looks like I have to convince my wife to go to South Carolina next month lol.




    I agree its an excellent piece of property. I also think the routing / holes are "decent" but they are not great. You realize quickly while playing it they did a lot of the routing to specifically to enhance the views of the lake vs the actual hole design. * I get why too it as it is very scenic course. I considered it like Pebble so to speak, average golf holes but amazing views. Take away the Lake or Ocean at either course and personally I think the rating drops.




    Least favorite take in golf... The ocean/lake/rivers/mountains etc are part of the course! Of course if you take away a key part of the design the course is downgraded. You can say that about literally every course that hugs a coast, but that is a huge reason why they are built where they are built.



    Also, which holes at pebble are average? Assuming you are going to say 11,12 14-16.. Have you played there? 15 and 16 were 2 of my favorite holes and they aren't on the water.




    I played Pebble years ago. I only remember a couple of holes, and would agree 15-16 and I liked 18. Yes like most I would agree with the ones you list and a few others personally. The rest don't "stand out" to me as anything special, good but I think hype/history plays a lot into it.



    I am also a person who will tell you I think No.2 is a great course but not spectacular. Played it last summer. The history adds to it for sure. Never played the Old course but many say its just and "average" course overall but the history makes it. *Hope to find out one day though.....



    Don't get me wrong every course has average holes, just how many is the what make a good course great. I am more a "course" player Vs associated view honestly. If my world we would all be playing Sand Hills. Nothing around for 50 miles but an amazing course =)



    Edit: Which would be awesome in my world but that is what makes golf great, so many different things to like that others may not.
  • mci711mci711 ChicagoMembers Posts: 1,024 ✭✭
    CDM wrote:

    mci711 wrote:

    CDM wrote:

    kgeisler13 wrote:


    Arcadia Bluffs is a beautiful piece of property. I for one do not like the lay of the course. I've played it twice and that is enough for me. I'm sure, I'd go back if I was invited but I will not make my own plans to play there. Also looks like I have to convince my wife to go to South Carolina next month lol.




    I agree its an excellent piece of property. I also think the routing / holes are "decent" but they are not great. You realize quickly while playing it they did a lot of the routing to specifically to enhance the views of the lake vs the actual hole design. * I get why too it as it is very scenic course. I considered it like Pebble so to speak, average golf holes but amazing views. Take away the Lake or Ocean at either course and personally I think the rating drops.




    Least favorite take in golf... The ocean/lake/rivers/mountains etc are part of the course! Of course if you take away a key part of the design the course is downgraded. You can say that about literally every course that hugs a coast, but that is a huge reason why they are built where they are built.



    Also, which holes at pebble are average? Assuming you are going to say 11,12 14-16.. Have you played there? 15 and 16 were 2 of my favorite holes and they aren't on the water.




    I played Pebble years ago. I only remember a couple of holes, and would agree 15-16 and I liked 18. Yes like most I would agree with the ones you list and a few others personally. The rest don't "stand out" to me as anything special, good but I think hype/history plays a lot into it.



    I am also a person who will tell you I think No.2 is a great course but not spectacular. Played it last summer. The history adds to it for sure. Never played the Old course but many say its just and "average" course overall but the history makes it. *Hope to find out one day though.....



    Don't get me wrong every course has average holes, just how many is the what make a good course great. I am more a "course" player Vs associated view honestly. If my world we would all be playing Sand Hills. Nothing around for 50 miles but an amazing course =)



    Edit: Which would be awesome in my world but that is what makes golf great, so many different things to like that others may not.




    I also love courses like that. Have never played Sand Hills though. But Streamsong, Bandon, the handful in Nebraska etc. I love being away from everything and focusing on golf..



    That being said, I could make the same argument you made. If you built a city around Sand Hills and there were streets going around it and you could hear trains and buses it would take away from that course.. That is why I don't love the take away water argument. It can be said about so many courses, but those features, whether it be a remote location, or lake michigan, ARE part of the course.
  • CDMCDM Members Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited Jan 28, 2019 9:56pm #52
    mci711 wrote:

    CDM wrote:

    mci711 wrote:

    CDM wrote:

    kgeisler13 wrote:


    Arcadia Bluffs is a beautiful piece of property. I for one do not like the lay of the course. I've played it twice and that is enough for me. I'm sure, I'd go back if I was invited but I will not make my own plans to play there. Also looks like I have to convince my wife to go to South Carolina next month lol.




    I agree its an excellent piece of property. I also think the routing / holes are "decent" but they are not great. You realize quickly while playing it they did a lot of the routing to specifically to enhance the views of the lake vs the actual hole design. * I get why too it as it is very scenic course. I considered it like Pebble so to speak, average golf holes but amazing views. Take away the Lake or Ocean at either course and personally I think the rating drops.




    Least favorite take in golf... The ocean/lake/rivers/mountains etc are part of the course! Of course if you take away a key part of the design the course is downgraded. You can say that about literally every course that hugs a coast, but that is a huge reason why they are built where they are built.



    Also, which holes at pebble are average? Assuming you are going to say 11,12 14-16.. Have you played there? 15 and 16 were 2 of my favorite holes and they aren't on the water.




    I played Pebble years ago. I only remember a couple of holes, and would agree 15-16 and I liked 18. Yes like most I would agree with the ones you list and a few others personally. The rest don't "stand out" to me as anything special, good but I think hype/history plays a lot into it.



    I am also a person who will tell you I think No.2 is a great course but not spectacular. Played it last summer. The history adds to it for sure. Never played the Old course but many say its just and "average" course overall but the history makes it. *Hope to find out one day though.....



    Don't get me wrong every course has average holes, just how many is the what make a good course great. I am more a "course" player Vs associated view honestly. If my world we would all be playing Sand Hills. Nothing around for 50 miles but an amazing course =)



    Edit: Which would be awesome in my world but that is what makes golf great, so many different things to like that others may not.




    I also love courses like that. Have never played Sand Hills though. But Streamsong, Bandon, the handful in Nebraska etc. I love being away from everything and focusing on golf..



    That being said, I could make the same argument you made. If you built a city around Sand Hills and there were streets going around it and you could hear trains and buses it would take away from that course.. That is why I don't love the take away water argument. It can be said about so many courses, but those features, whether it be a remote location, or lake michigan, ARE part of the course.




    110% true, but being lucky enough to have played Sand Hills once you could put a freeway over the top of it and it would still rock =)



    *Okay probably not but as you noted, its out in nowhere and its a sureal experience...!!
Sign In or Register to comment.