Is golf your most expensive hobby?

Comments

• Singapore JoeSingapore Joe Major? Winner? Members Posts: 1,598 ✭✭
    drn92 wrote:

Skiing adds up quickly, especially with three season passes plus the driving back and forth.

drn92

Second that. Living in Australia local skiing is not that great (but it does exist) and is ridiculously expensive - and the season is short. Need to fly to Europe for any decent skiing.
    [font=courier new,courier,monospace]TM R11S 10.5 HZRDUS Yellow 65
    TM R11S 5w Fujikura Speeder Evo II FW
    [ Callaway Apex UT 18, Recoil 95 || TM R15 3H ]
    [ Callaway Apex Pro 3i || TM R15 4H ][/font]
    [font=courier new,courier,monospace]Callaway Apex Pro 4-9,P Recoil 110
    Callaway MD4 54, 58
    Ping Sigma G Kinloch C[/font]
  • Mikey5eMikey5e Members Posts: 728 ✭✭
    No, shooting pistol/rifle by far is?
  • Sonja HenieSonja Henie Members Posts: 108 ✭✭
    Yes, but golf is more than a hobby.
  • Swisstrader98Swisstrader98 Members Posts: 3,521 ✭✭
    MtlJeff wrote:

Yes it is, though I don't really have other hobbies right now beyond jogging and the odd softball league. Kids will do that!

My wife rides horses. So golf is cheap by comparison

Hey Jeff. Same for me!!

Wife and daughter both do hunter/jumper and the equestrian world makes my golf look stupid cheap😬

Do we really need a survey for this?
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Members Posts: 2,353 ✭✭
    edited Dec 23, 2018 #36
    ohioglfr wrote:

sdandrea wrote:

I play guitar in a performing rock band. My music stuff is just as expensive but I don't ho around as much.

We own a 1965 Corvette in near mint condition, but I wouldn't call it a hobby - we don't show it, we just drive it.
    this post is not very enjoyable without pics.
    Split window, I hope . . .

Removable hardtop/soft top convertible.

Vette.jpg
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Cobra Max 10.5*
    Cobra Baffler T Rail 19*
    Cobra Baffler 5h
    Maltby Tricept F1 6-GW
    Callaway Sure Out 56*
    Odyssey V-Line
  • Matt JMatt J Members Posts: 8,721 ✭✭

drn92 wrote:

Skiing adds up quickly, especially with three season passes plus the driving back and forth.

drn92

Second that. Living in Australia local skiing is not that great (but it does exist) and is ridiculously expensive - and the season is short. Need to fly to Europe for any decent skiing.

NZ?

Hard to argue The Remarkables isn't decent, no?
  • MiddlerMiddler Members Posts: 366
    edited Dec 23, 2018 #38
    Not even close. Buy a 36’ sailboat, you’ll see. And I race sailboats, that more than doubles the costs.

Actually my wife and I spend more dining in restaurants in a year than I spend on golf and I play 2-3 times a week in season (May thru Oct).
    CALLAWAY Rogue 10.5° & 3W 15°
    MIZUNO CLK 3 Hybrid 19°
    MIZUNO JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10 & 60.06
    EVNROLL ER2
    SNELL MTB Black
    OGIO Silencer
  • scruffynickscruffynick Members Posts: 1,484 ✭✭
    No, season ticket at man utd is more expensive. My golf membership is paid monthly and is less than the wife's gym membership. My equipment is getting on but perfectly functional. I'm hoping safe standing comes in soon which will bring the cost of watching united down... I'm already in the area that is under proposal for safe standing....did that on purpose in hope
  • tommgtommg Members Posts: 139 ✭✭
    It is now, I retired a couple of years ago. I was pretty heavily into fine wines. Now that I am no longer “in the business” I can relax and enjoy my cellar.
  • Crazy_BikerdudeCrazy_Bikerdude Members Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Bicycles hands down. I have been shrinking my herd. I now only have 8 bikes. Sold one to fund my new golfing hobby last year.
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,372 ✭✭

MtlJeff wrote:

Yes it is, though I don't really have other hobbies right now beyond jogging and the odd softball league. Kids will do that!

Hey Jeff. Same for me!!

Wife and daughter both do hunter/jumper and the equestrian world makes my golf look stupid cheap��

I'm going to deny the existence of horses to my daughter! Haha.
    Cobra F8+ 8.0 w/Aldila NV65 2kxV
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Steelhead XR 18 w/S300
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56 w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/s300
    SGC Northwood Center Shaft 400g
  • rightslicerightslice Members Posts: 151 ✭✭
    MtlJeff wrote:

MtlJeff wrote:

Hey Jeff. Same for me!!

Wife and daughter both do hunter/jumper and the equestrian world makes my golf look stupid cheap��

I'm going to deny the existence of horses to my daughter! Haha.

My daughter while young used to gallop around the house on all fours acting like a horse. I mean 8 hours a day. She always said all she wanted was horses. Staring looking into costs etc. Panic! She had a serious allergic reaction one day and they did all the tests. No 1 she had to avoid was horses. Whew! I was kinda sad for her but it didn't really bother her at all. She's a vibrant young healthy woman now so no scars. Disaster Narrowly averted.
  • Jacked_LoftJacked_Loft Steps Ahead Members Posts: 487 ✭✭
    Since I became single, expenditures for wooing women have surpassed golf as my personal financial bottomless pit.
    WIMB:

`16 M1 9.5 Fuji Evo TS 661
    `17 M1 3&5 Kuro Kage 70
    P790 3I Nippon 950
    P770 4-GW Nippon 950
    MG 56° LB KBS REV
    Spider Tour BLK
    H2NO Carry
  • LlortamaiseyLlortamaisey Members Posts: 5,901 ✭✭
    Not a chance for me. Jet fuel is expensive.
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Members Posts: 2,353 ✭✭

Since I became single, expenditures for wooing women have surpassed golf as my personal financial bottomless pit.

wooing women is an art, not a hobby. 😉
    Cobra Max 10.5*
    Cobra Baffler T Rail 19*
    Cobra Baffler 5h
    Maltby Tricept F1 6-GW
    Callaway Sure Out 56*
    Odyssey V-Line
  • golfquestgolfquest Members Posts: 218 ✭✭
    Scuba diving was more expensive especially when the locations had several golf courses.
  • aarbroaarbro Members Posts: 149 ✭✭
    Collecting Faberge eggs is easily a more expensive hobby for me.
  • hahanicehahanice Members Posts: 346 ✭✭
    Somehow golf is much more expensive than keeping her running.

Engine rebuild this spring won't even match my first golf trip of the year alone.
  • joseyjosey Members Posts: 123 ✭✭
    Wakeboarding, building muscle cars.
  • joseyjosey Members Posts: 123 ✭✭
    Sweet nova. Had a 70 myself, 6.0 t56, coil overs.
  • easyyyeasyyy Founder & Still a Ho DetroitRules Official, Administrator Posts: 12,288 admin
    I think of golf as a lifestyle more than a hobby. But if it was a hobby I would have to say darn close. Cars and golf would be my favorite loves. But golf and cars has introduced me to more relationships than anything else in my life. Those relationships are worth all of it. Good people that share the same passion in more than the game.

They inspire me to reach for more. And I don't mean just material, or worth.
  • NJpatbeeNJpatbee Members Posts: 1,502 ✭✭
    Yes it is. I have spent a fair amount on fly tying and fishing over the last 40 years but my favorite fly reels and rods are all over 30 years old. And at 67 I have enough fly tying materials for the remainder of my life. The amount I spend on fly fishing at this point in my life can be measured in the "hundreds" while golf is in the "thousands" each year.
  • StrömsborgStrömsborg StockholmMembers Posts: 520 ✭✭
    edited Dec 24, 2018 #54
    My other hobby is building guitars. It could get really, really expensive if you build many of them (and use fancy wood and hardware) but I don't have that kind of time to put into it. Golf is number 1 in time and money spent.
    Hey chopper, what are you hitting there?

Titleist 910 8.5°
    TM SLDR S 17°
    Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21° and 24°
    Titleist AP2 710 5-pw
    MacGregor MT Pro DW 52, 56, 60­°
    Ping Piper S

After how long does being "out of form" turn into "a bad golfer"?
  • kg92leftykg92lefty Members Posts: 2,309 ✭✭
    No, competition shooting is by far.
  • macedanmacedan Members Posts: 217 ✭✭
    After (sadly) selling my YZ250f, dirt bikes are completely off of my hobbies list moving golf up to #1 in both time, passion, and cost.
    Ping G400 10*
    Mizuno ST180 3W 15*
    Taylormade Aeroburner 5W 18*
    Ping G Crossover 21*
    Taylormade Rocketbladez (5-PW)
    Cleveland CBX 50/11
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54/10
    Cleveland RTX-3 58/9
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black
    Taylormade RBZ Urethane | Project A
    Bag: Taylormade Flextech Lite Black/Green
  • vbbvbb Members Posts: 1,504 ✭✭
    I actually dropped the fully private country club membership for a few reasons, but a main one so that I could free up more money on my other hobby...sports cars. I've owned several over the years and have been in to cars (approx 25yrs) longer than golf (approx 16yrs). I spend more time on golf and more money by far on cars. I don't track/race cars anymore though because I don't have the time for 2 hobbies with young kids, but I am more passionate about cars than golf.
    Cobra Bio Cell 10.5* stock (R) shaft
    Cobra Bio Cell 3W stock (S) shaft
    Cobra Bio Cell 3Hy stock (S) shaft
    JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
    JPX 919 Hot Metal 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
    JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
    MP-T4 52* & 54*
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport mallet
  • SBH9458SBH9458 Go Army! Beat Navy! Members Posts: 912 ✭✭
    Likely so. I would like to consider it a lifestyle but truth is I work more than anything else. And other than work and family, I don’t do much other than fitness and golf. So....likely, it is my most expensive hobby. Would love to count a sports car as my most expensive, but it isn’t in the cards right now! Golf....well, golf = joy and peace. Hard to put a price tag on that.
  • aloha b.aloha b. Members Posts: 587 ✭✭
    No, dining in restaurants with my wife and staying at really nice hotels, also playing poker
  • rkelso184rkelso184 Members Posts: 180 ✭✭
    Marriage is way more expensive 🤣😂🤣
    Driver - G410 Evenflow Black 70S
    4W - F9 Fuji Speeder XLR8 Pro 73S
    6W - F9 Fuji Speeder XLR8 Pro 73S
    4H - JPX900 Fuji Pro 73HS
    5 to P - P790 1" Over KBS Tour S
    50-54-58 - MD4 Black DGS200 TI 
    P - Spider X 35"
    Ball - Chrome Soft

• Schley Schley Love ya don't tell ya enough! Kingdom of Saudi ArabiaMembers Posts: 1,155 ✭✭
    Middler wrote:

Not even close. Buy a 36' sailboat, you'll see. And I race sailboats, that more than doubles the costs.

Actually my wife and I spend more dining in restaurants in a year than I spend on golf and I play 2-3 times a week in season (May thru Oct).

So is it crappy golf or really nice restaurants/alcohol?