First "Grown-up" Irons

BeerPerHoleBeerPerHole Members Posts: 1,135 ✭✭
As my boy has gone through a growth spurt and his US Kids irons were getting short and noodly we had a fitter check him out today, w a trackman. We selected the Ping G400 irons. Just thought I'd share for others who might be in a similar transition. Those irons seemed to perform really well. Tried the Callaway, the M4, the Cobra (not sure model). The G400s performed the best for him.

Near the end, during a break, the fitter put a Ping i500 7-iron in my hands with a wicked smile, and I hit about a dozen balls with it. Man...very nice iron. I said, "you're killing me", and she laughed.
Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
Ping G400 5-wood
Taylormade Spider blade
Srixon Z Star
IPA

Comments

• wlmwlm Members Posts: 94 ✭✭
    When my son was around 10-11, we bought a set of AP2 with senior flex graphite shafts on EBay (at the time, they were 710’s and 712’s were already out). Cut them down to about 1 inch longer than his us kids set. The set worked well for him, we extended them once, got a couple of years of use out of them. He stuck with Titleist and moved to the CBs when he was ready for a standard length shaft
  • BeerPerHoleBeerPerHole Members Posts: 1,135 ✭✭
    leezer99 wrote:

Beer, how far is your boy hitting a 7 iron now? Or what was trackman saying for what I assume was a six iron fitting?
    He was flying the G400 7-iron 155 with a nice steep landing. The M4 was carrying a surprising distance, much longer. But, it was much shallower on the landing. Fitter said that's not what we want. He seems to be unhappy with his swing/distance lately. Brain issues, I think.
    Ping G400 5-wood
    Taylormade Spider blade
    Srixon Z Star
    IPA
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,067 ✭✭
    leezer99 wrote:

Beer, how far is your boy hitting a 7 iron now? Or what was trackman saying for what I assume was a six iron fitting?
    He was flying the G400 7-iron 155 with a nice steep landing. The M4 was carrying a surprising distance, much longer. But, it was much shallower on the landing. Fitter said that's not what we want. He seems to be unhappy with his swing/distance lately. Brain issues, I think.

Not to beat a dead horse, but a 155 7i doesn’t relate to over 110 mph swing speed to hit a drive 300 yds. More in the lines of around 255 total and 100 mph driver swing speed.
  • GolfSRQGolfSRQ Members Posts: 45 ✭✭

leezer99 wrote:

Not to beat a dead horse, but a 155 7i doesn’t relate to over 110 mph swing speed to hit a drive 300 yds. More in the lines of around 255 total and 100 mph driver swing speed.

155 7 iron probably equates to mid 90s driver speed.

My son driver speed on trackman is 98-101 and he carries his 7 iron 170
    Interesting. A driver speed of 100 but carries his 7 iron 170? ...learning something new every day. My driver speed is 108-111 but I carry my 7 150-155. My swing looks like a caveman killing his dinner, though. The M4 irons were carrying out near your son's numbers in the fitting, then running way out.

Anyway, the Titleist irons performed really well, too. I did drool over the newer Mizuno irons. I play last year's JPX 900 Forged and they have been great. On a side note. I made the comment that the shaft is most important and our fitter friend seemed to disagree. Told her that is a conversation to have over a beer soon...learn something every day...
    Ping G400 5-wood
    Taylormade Spider blade
    Srixon Z Star
    IPA
  • yellowlover519yellowlover519 Members Posts: 299 ✭✭

Interesting. A driver speed of 100 but carries his 7 iron 170? ...learning something new every day. My driver speed is 108-111 but I carry my 7 150-155. My swing looks like a caveman killing his dinner, though. The M4 irons were carrying out near your son's numbers in the fitting, then running way out.

Anyway, the Titleist irons performed really well, too. I did drool over the newer Mizuno irons. I play last year's JPX 900 Forged and they have been great. On a side note. I made the comment that the shaft is most important and our fitter friend seemed to disagree. Told her that is a conversation to have over a beer soon...learn something every day...

Some of these newer irons have such jacked up lofts I can believe a 170 7 iron with 100mph driver swing speed.

But to answer OP’s question, we transitioned to adult irons at age 9.

Some of these newer irons have such jacked up lofts I can believe a 170 7 iron with 100mph driver swing speed.

He has Tm RSI 2. Matrix Ozik Shafts. Distances about Gap 120 pw 130 9 iron 140 8 iron 155 7 iron 170 6 iron 180 5 iron 190. Trackman driver 101mph Carry 235 rollout 265. Avg driver distance on course mid 250’s.
    GolfSRQ wrote:

But to answer OP's question, we transitioned to adult irons at age 9.

He has Tm RSI 2. Matrix Ozik Shafts. Distances about Gap 120 pw 130 9 iron 140 8 iron 155 7 iron 170 6 iron 180 5 iron 190. Trackman driver 101mph Carry 235 rollout 265. Avg driver distance on course mid 250's.
    Excellent numbers. Not familiar with those shafts. What driver is your boy swinging?
    Ping G400 5-wood
    Taylormade Spider blade
    Srixon Z Star
    IPA

GolfSRQ wrote:

He has Tm RSI 2. Matrix Ozik Shafts. Distances about Gap 120 pw 130 9 iron 140 8 iron 155 7 iron 170 6 iron 180 5 iron 190. Trackman driver 101mph Carry 235 rollout 265. Avg driver distance on course mid 250's.
    Excellent numbers. Not familiar with those shafts. What driver is your boy swinging?

Rogue sub zero with Aldilla synergy shaft. ( pro called it soft stiff).

He also switched to avx golf balls a few months ago and has increased distance.
  • TripleBogeysrbetterTripleBogeysrbetter Members Posts: 72 ✭✭
    GolfSRQ wrote:

GolfSRQ wrote:

Rogue sub zero with Aldilla synergy shaft. ( pro called it soft stiff).

He also switched to avx golf balls a few months ago and has increased distance.

Son switched to the AVX when they were limited release in 2017. Awesome ball. I think we brought like 6 dozen.

Anyone switch to stiff shafts on the irons? we've had to switch shafts it seems every 6-9 months. I figured it was time for new irons as well. He had wore a dot in the middle of his set (mine now).

He went with the i 500s DG 105 Stiff.
    Cobra F8+ - Fujikura Regular
    Taylormade M1 5 Wood - Kuro Kage Regular
    Cobra Tour Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 90 R
    Fourteen 52 (Bent to 50) - Nippon R
    Fourteen 56 - Nippon R
    Vokey SM7 60 - Dynamic Gold
    Ray Cook Blue Goose BG40
    Titleist AVX