2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

March Golf

Matt J

Am I insane for considering coming to Ireland and Scotland to play in March?

Why do some courses publish their rates starting at the beginning of April? Are they closed all winter? Do they allow guests before the high season?

I like going places when they are uncrowded, and I don't mind playing in weather. We play in wind, rain, and cold all winter here in Oregon, USA, so what am I missing?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You’re partly missing the impact of latitude. Scotland is really far north of the continental United States. Days are shorter and the sun is so low in the sky that they never really get bright. Grass hasn’t really come out of dormancy, so you might be playing off mats.

For the most part, you can play golf in March, but it’s pretty quiet.

I spent a year on the south island of New Zealand, so I get how daylight works closer to the poles. Clearly there's a smaller window you can tee off and finish a full round. Thanks raynorfan for mentioning the mats. That is something I had forgotten about having read it quite some time back in regards to the Old Course. I'm not sure how much that would bother me... it's clearly less than ideal, but so is being stuffed to the gills with other tourists.

If I were to stay in the south of England, Wales, and Ireland would my chances improve markedly for better weather and conditions? I really wanted to go to St Andrews as I don't know when I'll get a chance to return, but I'd rather make the most of this trip without forcing it into expectations that are unrealistic.

Anybody recommend a book that covers courses in the UK? Quick Amazon search revealed a lot of them, some of which look rather old and outdated.

Golf in Scotland in March, I'd stick to links courses as they will be drier and the greens will be running truer.

I prefer to play links courses and would probably only play links on this trip.

I have been hammering out more of the details. I think we will be gone for 10 days, but we lose a whole day of travel on each side, so we would be in the UK for 8 days. Although I would really like to visit Ireland, England, and Wales, I am starting to believe that just golf and just Scotland should be this trip. Not finding very good airfare into Glasgow or Edinburgh so I think we may just fly into London and take a train or domestic flight up to Scotland. Probably rent a car and make a small loop out of Edinburgh.

I've been debating whether or not playing St. Andrews while using a mat on the turf would really satisfy me. I would prefer to play it without all the pomp and fuss and am starting to think that if it means hitting off a mat, so be it. I've never played a round like that and may try it on my home course to see how I feel about it. Are the mats used just from the fairway? Can you hit out of the rough, bunkers, waste areas?

Will it be much colder up near Dornoch? Glen Morangie is my favorite scotch, so were contemplating driving up to Royal Dornoch from Edinburgh and then working our way back down the coast to finish around Gullane and Berwick.

To the OP,

I did a huge driving trip a couple of years ago (@1500Km in one month) and I couldn't imagine doing all that driving now (I'm 47 now) but if you're young enough and with a couple of buddies to help drive - go for it. See as much as you can! Try to play the course you pick at least twice - 'drive' by golf will sadly leave you without any memories of the course. Good luck, no matter what you pick I think you'll have a great time - even in march.

10.5* Ping G430 Max, MCA Diamana BF 60g 

18* 5W Stealth 2+ Ti, MCA Kail'li red 70g

21* 7W Ping G430 Max, Oban Revenge 85g
22* & 26* HY Ping G430, MCA 80g Kai'li white

6-GW Mizuno JPX 923 HM, PX LZ 
54*S & 58*T Ping Glide 4.0, DG 120 
L.A.B. DF3, Accra X, Press Pistol 2 OR Ping Anser 2 Milled OR Mizuno M-Craft VI (Lamkin Deep Etch) 

Pro V1 or Z Star. GP TV 360 std. Titleist Players glove

Ping Hoofer Lite OR Ping Pioneer with Clicgear 3.5+

Tickets have been purchased. Flying into and out of London. Looks like we will travel to St. Andrews and enjoy those courses with no fixed itinerary. I am the only golfer, so I will play as a single most of which you cannot book in advance. I'm guessing that a day trip up to Carnoustie and a couple of days spent between Edinburgh, Gullane, and North Berwick will be the only golf outside of St. Andrews.

Any Brits have insight into whether we should pay a bit of a premium and just fly BA out of Heathrow, take the train, connect over to Stansted for a commuter flight, or drive from London to Scotland?

Looking at the money I'm tempted to simply rent a car at Heathrow and keep it until we return. We could take a couple of different routes, the A1 or the M6, and take our time seeing some of the country. Doesn't seem that we would lose a lot of time other than if we run into a ton of traffic.

Like @raynorfan1 I would fly straight to Edinburgh. If you are in the centre of London, rather than go back out to Heathrow, I'd get the train (4 1/2hrs) and have a look at the countryside on the way.

If you do get up further north on the chance the weather is OK :cheesy:, we got the overnight train from Inverness to London, I'm 6' 3 and the bed was comfortable, mind you we had spent a few hours in the drinking carriage.

That's a beast of a drive. I mean, it's doable. But you're a solid 8 hours from London to St. Andrews.

Why would you not go from LHR to EDI?

Pretty much just due to getting dinged by BA. 300 quid round trip when you check a bag. For the 600 pounds we can rent the car, pay for the fuel, and see much more of the region. We lose about a half day on each side, as I think we could get our bags pick the car up and make it as far as Leeds on the day we arrive.

I've actually been looking at getting the car and leaving it in Edinburgh at the end of the trip and flying back to London.

March in Scotland can be like Bandon in the Winter. As far up as Inverness, doubly so. If you keep it no further North than Fife you may have marginally better chances, but you could see snow - like lots of the UK did this year in March - or you could get the likely 40Fs and wet, with maybe a 50 thrown in. And as you point out with playing conditions, hitting of a piece of carpet, yuck. Shoulder season April/Oct could be much better.

I'm assuming you're going out of MFR to LHR and trying to tack on EDI is making for too many connections/waits/much higher price?

In that case as you can see it's either spend some monies out of LHR to EDI or take Easyjet out of LGW or LUT for much less. From LHR, STN shouldn't be considered. With cheap airlines you do have smaller baggage allowances versus your flight from the States to worry about to. LGW (drones notwithstanding) is actually my favorite London airport to get in/out of, but still having to lug all your stuff from one airport to the other, I'd just get a car hire and hit the road.

Personally I like driving so it colours my POV, but you can then take advantage of the drive up to play one or two rounds in England. There are a number of awesome courses not far off the direct A to B line (weather M6 or A1/M) to Edinburgh or St. Andrews. Playing a heathland course or two would also give you a neat juxtaposition with Trails.

Again personally, I'd simply stay in England/Wales, but I can see the appeal of St. Andrews and whiskey and the like. So if this is your chance to do it, then do it :)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

March in Scotland can be like Bandon in the Winter. As far up as Inverness, doubly so. If you keep it no further North than Fife you may have marginally better chances, but you could see snow - like lots of the UK did this year in March - or you could get the likely 40Fs and wet, with maybe a 50 thrown in. And as you point out with playing conditions, hitting of a piece of carpet, yuck. Shoulder season April/Oct could be much better.

I'm assuming you're going out of MFR to LHR and trying to tack on EDI is making for too many connections/waits/much higher price?

In that case as you can see it's either spend some monies out of LHR to EDI or take Easyjet out of LGW or LUT for much less. From LHR, STN shouldn't be considered. With cheap airlines you do have smaller baggage allowances versus your flight from the States to worry about to. LGW (drones notwithstanding) is actually my favorite London airport to get in/out of, but still having to lug all your stuff from one airport to the other, I'd just get a car hire and hit the road.

Personally I like driving so it colours my POV, but you can then take advantage of the drive up to play one or two rounds in England. There are a number of awesome courses not far off the direct A to B line (weather M6 or A1/M) to Edinburgh or St. Andrews. Playing a heathland course or two would also give you a neat juxtaposition with Trails.

Again personally, I'd simply stay in England/Wales, but I can see the appeal of St. Andrews and whiskey and the like. So if this is your chance to do it, then do it :)

Thank you.

That's what I guessed. We may watch the weather and simply drive where we think it's going to be nice. Hoping to connect with a player from the forum that wants to get together for a round.

I've always enjoyed a drive myself. Getting older, less so, but I'm sure the excitement will carry over. My vehicle in NZ was an old Mitsi van with a 5 speed on the collar, so a conventional H gear box will have to seem like cheating. Just have to remind myself where I am every time I enter a car park, for some weird reason that's where I would always induce mayhem.

Interesting thought about working a heathland course into the mix. Maybe I'll scoot over to Loch Lemond I hear it's easy to get on :) I kid, I kid.

^Ha! Agreed car parks are the trickiest part IMHO, as they are 'free form' driving to some degree, otherwise it is easy to get back in the other-side habit :)

Loch Lomond would likely be a swamp in March, I was thinking specifically of Notts Golf Club and Alwoodley in England which are top notch, worth an ocean crossing courses along an M1/A1M route up/down to/from Heathrow.

And Delamere Forest up the M6, along with all the links courses in Southport, Blackpool, and Silloth the other side of the Lake District.

Really with an off-season Bandon mentality you'll be grand and settling in for the evening in a pub or many pubs, always makes things better.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

^Ha! Agreed car parks are the trickiest part IMHO, as they are 'free form' driving to some degree, otherwise it is easy to get back in the other-side habit :)

Loch Lomond would likely be a swamp in March, I was thinking specifically of Notts Golf Club and Alwoodley in England which are top notch, worth an ocean crossing courses along an M1/A1M route up/down to/from Heathrow.

And Delamere Forest up the M6, along with all the links courses in Southport, Blackpool, and Silloth the other side of the Lake District.

Really with an off-season Bandon mentality you'll be grand and settling in for the evening in a pub or many pubs, always makes things better.

All the times I've corresponded with you over the years on this forum, I regrettably never clicked on the "courses played" link in your signature. Wow! That's an impressive list, my friend.

Thanks so much for your words in this thread, between reading your thoughts here and the other thread asking about the Aberdeen courses I feel pretty prepared for the trip.

I will look into the English courses you mentioned.

As far as the RD experience, I made out pretty well when in NZ although you are exactly correct that I tend to be more "free form" in a parking lot and that's where trouble happens, relying on instinct rather than being thoughtful.

Worst thing that happened the year I was in New Zealand was coming off a river trip late in the evening on the South Island. I was doing some training for whitewater kayak instruction and we ended the clinics south of Murchison. It had to be December or early January as the days were incredibly long and it was 7:30 or 8 PM by the time we loaded the rafts and kayaks and left the beach. I was driving south to Hokitika while the rest of the expedition was headed north back to HQ. Alone for the first time in days, I put some nice music on the radio and waited for the rest of the gang to get on the road before turning out onto the highway. 20 or 30 minutes later, after driving through twisty river canyons in the twilight, I looked up and saw a car on the horizon, quite a ways down, probably at least a few miles away down a straight away. As the head lights got closer on the horizon it was apparent they were in "my" lane. Nope, the thought crossed my mind in a panic "you're in NZ and in their lane." Fortunately, they were so far away I doubt they ever noticed, but after adjusting into the proper left lane position I nearly had a anxiety attack wondering how long I had been in the right lane. I had not seen a single vehicle since leaving the car park nearly 30 minutes earlier. Crazy. With my mother as a passenger this time around I guarantee that won't happen! I was a lucky kid that evening.

When the weather is good, we'll play golf then drink whiskey. When the weather is bad, we'll play golf and drink whiskey :)

Edited to add: I better get off my arse and out the door. It's 36 degrees out there and drizzly and foggy. Gotta practice for the trip in a couple of months, haha.

Tickets have been purchased. Flying into and out of London. Looks like we will travel to St. Andrews and enjoy those courses with no fixed itinerary. I am the only golfer, so I will play as a single most of which you cannot book in advance. I'm guessing that a day trip up to Carnoustie and a couple of days spent between Edinburgh, Gullane, and North Berwick will be the only golf outside of St. Andrews.

Any Brits have insight into whether we should pay a bit of a premium and just fly BA out of Heathrow, take the train, connect over to Stansted for a commuter flight, or drive from London to Scotland?

Looking at the money I'm tempted to simply rent a car at Heathrow and keep it until we return. We could take a couple of different routes, the A1 or the M6, and take our time seeing some of the country. Doesn't seem that we would lose a lot of time other than if we run into a ton of traffic.

Don't underestimate Gullane #3. It's the shortest of the three but awesome 'fun' golf. Have a great trip!

10.5* Ping G430 Max, MCA Diamana BF 60g 

18* 5W Stealth 2+ Ti, MCA Kail'li red 70g

21* 7W Ping G430 Max, Oban Revenge 85g
22* & 26* HY Ping G430, MCA 80g Kai'li white

6-GW Mizuno JPX 923 HM, PX LZ 
54*S & 58*T Ping Glide 4.0, DG 120 
L.A.B. DF3, Accra X, Press Pistol 2 OR Ping Anser 2 Milled OR Mizuno M-Craft VI (Lamkin Deep Etch) 

Pro V1 or Z Star. GP TV 360 std. Titleist Players glove

Ping Hoofer Lite OR Ping Pioneer with Clicgear 3.5+

Mr. Pink would say, "I've got two words for you - Beast from the East!"

Oops, you've booked already. Then enjoy! You really aren't locked into much, can pick your days to play and you may be pleasantly surprised. If my wife wasn't a teacher we would have taken our trip to Scotland earlier than June last year (weather was pretty much perfect for two weeks), but March really seems like a gamble if you were planning mostly golf and wanted more nicer days than not. Hopefully it will inspire you to go back when you can get in more golf and less driving. We really want to visit London someday, and Ireland for that matter, but our family trip of a lifetime to Scotland last spring has now turned into a return trip for me and my better half this summer. Can't describe how much I loved the place.

Oh, and it's "whisky"! ;-). Got introduced to it as "preparation" by my oldest daughter at Christmastime last year - she is home now and we are enjoying some as I type, lol. For me, an acquired taste, but I'm glad I've acquired it.

Just went ahead and bit the bullet on the flights from Heathrow. Basically we'll leave the USA on a Friday and fly through the night to London. We get into Heathrow at 10 AM on Saturday morning. We'll claim our bags and put them into a baggage locker in the terminal and go into the city until about 4:30 PM when we'll need to check in for our evening flight to Edinburgh. I decided that I want to play something around Edinburgh on Sunday morning so as not to waste one of my 8 golf days.

Now, I just need to plan the rest of the trip! Haha. No easy task. Definitely down for course recommendations for around Fife. What you loved, what you hated.... everything is in play.

Caveat I have not played Muirfield - so those who have may disagree and/or add it - but if you got in TOC, North Berwick, and Prestwick; however else* you filled out a 6 round week in Ayr/Fife/East Lothian wouldn't diminish the trip in the least.

Just to add, a useful link when trying to work out daylight vs tee times: http://sunrisesunset.com/Golf/

*Barring some real left field/bizarre choice.

F.T.

Matt

If you fly into Edinburgh and then will have only seven full days, I would suggest you stick with Fife and East Lothian. As tempting as Ayeshire, Aberdeenshire or the Highlands may be, you will simply spend more time beehind the windshield that could be better used for golf and pubs.

I would imagine TOC is the prime target....remember in March there are mats in play...blahhh. Spend four nights in St Andrews and shoot for the ballot. This should give you very good odds for at least one game. Its no hardship to play Kingsbarns, New, Eden, Elie (in fact Elie should be a prime target), Lundin, Crail or Leven. Controversally, The Castle Course is as good as well. The Eden has many excellent holes and is marred a bit by newer holes which include water! It was a crime against architecture to allow this wonderful Colt course to be messed with for a driving range which is now too short for the big boys. There is the opportunity to jump from 12 to 17 thereby avoiding the thick end of the crime. Trust me, there is plenty of great stuff in those 14 holes to keep you engaged....says the unapologetic Colt nut.

Spend three nights in N Berwick. You may have a shot of booking Muirfield this late in the day because you are in the off season...check it now. Play N Berwick at least once. If you have room for another game maybe try Kilspindie. You should be able to play this quickly and if time allows you can zip over to Musselburgh to play the 9 holer. Dunbar too is very good. If money is tight you can try Gullane #3...its a short, but crafty course. Remember, in March 5500 yards won't seem that short! However, if you are a low handicap biggish hitter these shorter courses may not be as enjoyable for you as I find them.

If you are desperate for a game right off the plane in Edinburgh try Braid Hills. Its a muni that is pretty good with good views. Or you could play Musselburgh then drive to St Andrews.

Yes, Pitreavie is a worth a game, but its a hilly bugger and you are more exposed should bad weather be about. Take a view with this one and follow the weather forecast...same for Braid Hills.

Remember....the growing season will have just barely started so greens will likely be slow and bumpy.

Another fall back on choice is the 9 holer Anstruther. There is a handful of memorable holes and the Fish Bar is in town for the finest fish (not so much the chips) I have had in quite some time.

If you are looking for a bit of old-time atmosphere and are bringing your jacket & tie Murfield?), you may find Luffness New a good time.

Happy New Year

^Disagree on The Castle Course. Maybe there is some goodness there, but for a traveling North American golfer with say 6 rounds in a trip, that's a wasted round if it's your first visit IMHO.

And singles cannot get on the ballot, he just has to get up early and join the queue - if there is one in March ;)

F.T.

Heard back from North Berwick this morning and they were kind enough to grant me a tee time as a single. I think the rest of the planning should come along easier now that a few big pieces are in place. Bascially, I hammered out the lodging and hired the car, so that first round was tricky because we get in late on Saturday and I needed an afternoon time which was granted. We're staying in the city center of Edinburgh the first two nights, as my traveling companion is not keen to drive the rental car and will be sightseeing alone while I'm on the links. Now, I intend to book one more round in East Lothian probably the Gullane 1. Muirfield's visitation times are only Tuesday and Thursday and mid-week we are planning on being in Fife. I really want to play it next time I come (hoping there is a next time) - I've been drumming up support with a few of my partners to make a Men's Trip with foursomes in the summer. I am hoping after my initial trip I will feel comfortable doing the planning way in advance and getting times at Muirfield when we could do the foursomes and fourball with lunch in the middle.

So, then we'll leave Edinburgh and travel up the coast to Fife. The Trust courses are at least mostly open (Castle is closed) and the rate is nice with the 3 of 7 days tickets. I hope to shoot up to Carnoustie for a day and am considering Londen, Crail, or something unusual as we get towards our departure date. At the moment we have lodging near the Old Course in a private flat from Monday until Thursday and have a room out near the airport in Edinburgh on Saturday evening as we have an early flight Sunday coming home via London. That gives us one "wild card" night where depending on weather and our desires we can simply jump in the car and drive. Perhaps back to East Lothian or perhaps somewhere else?

Getting the confirmation this morning from North Berwick really made my day! Now, off to play in some links weather, unfortunately our clay based soil will not hold up that well :) Should be drizzly with a high of around 5 C today here in Oregon!

Got to sneak in 18 or 36 at Prestwick on the Friday IMHO :)

While in the neighbourhood you could fit in Dundonald on the Saturday if squeezing out one last 18 is in order. Saturdays are typically the toughest to get times, so some of the neater other courses may not be available.

F.T.

Got to sneak in 18 or 36 at Prestwick on the Friday IMHO :)

While in the neighbourhood you could fit in Dundonald on the Saturday if squeezing out one last 18 is in order. Saturdays are typically the toughest to get times, so some of the neater other courses may not be available.

Liking this. Our trip will be split west and east this summer and Royal Troon is booked, and will book Prestwick and Dundonald and then go from there.

I don't know why, but reading the reviews I'd be tempted to go Western Gailes and Prestwick on a quick Ayr coast run. There will be a lot of factors, like weather and energy levels. I'd love to bust through Glasgow for dinner and blitz out there over the weekend.

I'm guessing the "wild card" will end up on the Fife or Lothian coast. But, I'm tempted to go 36 a couple of places on inexpensive tee times and a chance to see some random public golf. Maybe in and around Edinburgh? We'll see...

I appreciate so many of you ringing in...

^Disagree on The Castle Course. Maybe there is some goodness there, but for a traveling North American golfer with say 6 rounds in a trip, that's a wasted round if it's your first visit IMHO.

And singles cannot get on the ballot, he just has to get up early and join the queue - if there is one in March ;)

Duff

I don't wish to be put in the position of defending Castle Course because I don't by any means love it. However, I think it is far better than often given credit for. The initial terrible press has been very difficult to overcome despite loads of work over many years to soften the design. When I was last there three issues stood out loud and clear. First was terrible drainage relative to nearby links. It was difficult to understand why folks would head up the hill to play in soggy conditions when well draining courses are in town. Second was the design in terms of approaching. There was very little opportunity to bounce balls onto greens because all the surfaces were raised (probably for drainage reasons!). On a windy site such this that style of forced golf can be very problematic and frustrating. All that said, there are some outstanding holes and some very cool greens. 9, 10, 12, 14 and 17 come to mind. Third, and this is more personal, I thought the green fee was too much considering TOC is nearby for about the same price. However, looking at the Trust courses and others in Fife, its difficult for me to conclude the Castle is inferior. There is too much bold work which works to simply dismiss the Castle Course, but I won't be returning anytime soon because its too expensive. I'll take Elie and Eden!

Matt

Sorry, I thought you picked up a playing partner.

Happy New Year.

There is a member of the forum and I who were discussing a rendezvous but the timing was the same as his family holiday on the continent. So, I will be a single.

My greatest hope is that the weather is spectacular and I can make a run at Dornoch and visit Glen Morangie distillery.

Matt

There is the Kingsbarns Distillery just down the road from St Andrews. It won't be as peaty as the west coast and some Highland malt. If you are keen on single malt and are staying in St Andrews (which you should absolutely do), the Keys serves a crazy number (over a hundred if I recall correctly) of bottles for a small pub.

Have a good time!

Happy New Year

There is a member of the forum and I who were discussing a rendezvous but the timing was the same as his family holiday on the continent. So, I will be a single.

My greatest hope is that the weather is spectacular and I can make a run at Dornoch and visit Glen Morangie distillery.

My daughter had that particular distillery on her "must do" list, so we did. It was pretty interesting.

Gullane #1 came through with a late-morning time on day 2. That should get me through the first Edinburgh stretch before we drive up to St. Andrews.

I've been continuing to read the reviews of the Trust courses and feel that perhaps Old, New, Jubilee, and Eden would be a good 3 of 7 days with the discounted tickets (TOC doesn't count). That leaves me two days to play Carnoustie.

Any good eats in St. Andrews or Edinburgh that shouldn't be missed? El Gringo, thanks for the recommendation on the Keys. I'll check that out.