How many tournaments?

TigerMomTigerMom Members Posts: 215 ✭✭
How many tournaments should a junior golfer play?

Seems like earlier ages under 9 are all one day and 9-holes so pretty casual

But the 18 hole multiple day are more serious, competitive and stressful

Especially if you do practice round(s)

So how many should kids play per year by age?

Comments

• Golfingdawg19Golfingdawg19 Members Posts: 356 ✭✭
    To me if you are under 13, I wouldn’t play more than 4 major ones in a year. I’m not talking about the 9 hole local stuff. I’m talking the 18 hole multi-day stuff. Had a college golf coach who has won a national championship tell me the same thing.
  • Pinewood GolferPinewood Golfer Members Posts: 129 ✭✭
    edited Dec 23, 2018 #3

To me if you are under 13, I wouldn’t play more than 4 major ones in a year. I’m not talking about the 9 hole local stuff. I’m talking the 18 hole multi-day stuff. Had a college golf coach who has won a national championship tell me the same thing.

My son will be 11 in 2019 and we have 5 multi-day, 18/round events on the schedule between May and August. We may add one more in September. That’s plenty for us
    My daughter is playing in the Honda Classic in two weeks. That should be an adventure because she moves back to the ladies tees and there is no caddy. She is doing the US kids Jekyll regional in March and the US Kids Worlds in July. Other than that, we will play some 9 hole events on the North Florida tour out of Jacksonville.
  • Tannerbug33Tannerbug33 Members Posts: 125 ✭✭

My daughter is playing in the Honda Classic in two weeks. That should be an adventure because she moves back to the ladies tees and there is no caddy. She is doing the US kids Jekyll regional in March and the US Kids Worlds in July. Other than that, we will play some 9 hole events on the North Florida tour out of Jacksonville.

Let us know how the Honda Classic goes. We have talked about it next year as a 11 yo.

My son will be playing his 1st 36 hole tournament this spring. Will be the 1st time he will caddy for himself. He knows his game but he needs me to calm him down when he makes a mistake
  • BaitkillerBaitkiller Members Posts: 1,713 ✭✭
    Gotta trust him Dad. Ill lay $20 you come away impressed.
    Turn over damnit!
    Krank 9* Formula 5 UST Tour
    Adams 15* wasabi
    XXIO pro 5
    Adams Pro Gold Forged 3-46* / Steelfibers
    Vanilla wedges 53 and 58*
    Betti-1
    K-sig
  • hangontighthangontight Members Posts: 543 ✭✭
    Boy 8

2017 (7 year old):

- We did 4 USKG Regionals (including Dec 2016 Holiday Classic)

- USKG World

- 5 local one day (wasn't planning on them, but schedule was free and timing was good prep for Pinehurst)

2018 (8 Year old) Plan:

- 3 or 4 USKG Regionals

- USKG World

- No locals planned, but will consider if timing is right, etc.

Planning more "Casual" golf trips- day trips or weekend trips with me, may even substitute out 1 or 2 of the regional trips for family golf trips. As far as locals, part of the reason we did them last year was because the group of boys in his age were all great friends and good competition. The schedule was stacked for 5 Saturdays in a row leading up to Worlds so it served as really good prep against good competition (and great freinds, so it was a lot of fun). He would of been playing those days anyway, so it worked out well. I will play it by ear this year depending on timing, etc.

Let us know how the Honda Classic goes. We have talked about it next year as a 11 yo.

My son will be playing his 1st 36 hole tournament this spring. Will be the 1st time he will caddy for himself. He knows his game but he needs me to calm him down when he makes a mistake

I will definitely let you know how it goes. The Honda is supposed to be very well run. If I’m not mistaken, it’s part of the IMG series. We are doing it this year instead of the Holiday Classic. Same exact golf course (PGA National- Squire course) but the set up is a few hundred yards longer and no caddy.
  • Pinewood GolferPinewood Golfer Members Posts: 129 ✭✭
    leezer99 wrote:

My son will be 11 in 2019 and we have 5 multi-day, 18/round events on the schedule between May and August. We may add one more in September. That’s plenty for us

I'm a little behind in getting the 2019 schedule together. What multi day events are you doing? Only thing I have firmed up is FCG worlds.

USKG Regional in Missouri (in-laws Live there)

USKG Gulf Coast State Inv

Future Tour Championship (Greenville, MS—great event)

Future Masters

USKG World

Possibly an SJGT event in a September

• TigerswagTigerswag Members Posts: 36 ✭✭
    This has everything to do with Age, how much the kid enjoys competing, financial stability and how long your kid has been playing. Clear as mud?

Age.....younger kids should play less and more local tournaments. Peak years should be 12-13. Less tourneys before and after

Enjoy?.....if it causes your kid stress, well, back off, or find a more relaxed tour.

Financial.....these things aren’t cheap. They shouldn’t cause you stress either. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />. Budget, 1000/ 36 tourney

The how long has your kid been playing.....if your child grew up competing from the ages of 4-6....well, they don’t need to play too many tourneys when they are 11-13. If your child just started playing at 9,10 or 11, then they need to play as much as possible.

Tourney results from 6-13 DO NOT MATTER. What is important? Learning to play under pressure, understand the rules, playing in crazy weather, playing Bermuda and bent greens, dealing with crazy competitors, coming from behind, winning with a lead, how to respond after making a triple on the first hole etc.

Be ready for 14....that’s when the coaches start paying attention.

I heard that is when they transition from ‘kids golf’ to ‘junior golf’

Hope this helps. Mike

• wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 875 ✭✭
    edited Dec 23, 2018 #11
    Age 6:

14 USKG locals

1 USKG state

1 USKG regional

Age 7:

10 USKG locals

1 JGANC 9-hole

Age 8:

Plan to play 1 JGANC 9-hole and USKG State Tournament. The rest of the time this coming year we are going to play as many different courses as possible with our Youth on Course membership so that he gains experience on the variety of layouts.
  • TigerswagTigerswag Members Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Leezer, here is the thing. I showed my post to my 15 year old son. He said “I wish we read that when I was 10.”

There is a little humor and sadness in his statement. As dads, we want the best for our kids. But, sometimes we don’t know the ‘right’ way to get there. There are many parents that recognize me as a positive presence on the cart paths. It took a few years for me to grow up and get to this position. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Daniel Coyle's book The Talent Code helped me so much. It spells out how we really learn. All we can do as parents is provide an environment for challenge and learning.