I'm back on the course, after year long spinal fusion recovery. So happy to be back!!!

Hit em goodHit em good Hit em goodMembers Posts: 2,098 ✭✭
Hi guys,

I just finished a year long recovery from spinal fusion, L5-S1. The CT shows that everything has healed correctly, and I am clear to play golf.

I have played three rounds, and I am just so happy to be back on the course. I'm about a club shorter compared to when I was at full strength, but the accuracy is there. Shot a 78 today, while missing a couple 4 footers.

I'm looking forward to many, many more years on the course. God willing.

Merry Christmas guys,

Hit em good
Driver: 07 Burner TP
4 wood: Ping G25
7 wood: Ping G25
23° hybrd:  Ping G25
5i - pw: Mizuno MP64
Wedges 50° / 54° / 58°: Cleveland Rotex 2.0 (2 dot , 3 dot , 2 dot)
Putter: Ping Redwood Anser
Ball: Titleist Pro v1x / Pro v1
Bag: Titlest Stand Bag / 4 way top

Comments

• MitchellMitchell Members Posts: 5,469 ✭✭
    Merry Christmas to you as well-prayers for continued enjoyment and health.
    Taylormade r510tp 10.5* Fuji Evo TS 661
    Taylormade 300 tour 15* Fuji TS 8.0
    Taylormade V Steel 18* Purple Ice 85
    TEE CNC Ltd. Forged 3-pw s400
    Artisan 53* s400
    Artisan 58* s400
    Cameron 1996 Laguna
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,836 ✭✭
    Great to hear sir !!! I'm going to need one of these eventually and I like hearing success stories
    Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Oban Kiyoshi White 65s
    Ping G25 7w 20* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Ping G25 4h 23* Diamana White 92s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping s55 6-PW Fujikura mci 100s
    Vokey sm2 50* 54* 59* 64* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • SBH9458SBH9458 Go Army! Beat Navy! Members Posts: 910 ✭✭
    Outstanding. Merry Christmas and congratulations!!!! Stay healthy and....fairways and greens!
  • Swisstrader98Swisstrader98 Members Posts: 3,519 ✭✭
    Tiger is on WRX??!!
  • EaglesGolf99EaglesGolf99 (.... Formerly Known As RaidersGolf99) Foxboro, MAMembers Posts: 2,393 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I just finished a year long recovery from spinal fusion, L5-S1. The CT shows that everything has healed correctly, and I am clear to play golf.

I have played three rounds, and I am just so happy to be back on the course. I'm about a club shorter compared to when I was at full strength, but the accuracy is there. Shot a 78 today, while missing a couple 4 footers.

Merry Christmas guys,

Hit em good

Awesome to hear! Outstanding news! Very, very happy for you!

To be honest, it leaves me a bit of hope. I could be heading down the same path in due time.
    2017 WORLD CHAMPION
    PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

W. I. T. B.

Callaway Epic Flash 9.0° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 X
    Callaway TC Rogue 4+ 16.0° HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 X
    Callaway TC Apex 2H 18.0° Tour Spec Speeder 904HB X
    Callaway TC Apex 4H 23.0° Tour Spec Speeder 904HB X
    Callaway X-Forged UT 27.0° Steel Fiber i110 S
    Callaway X-Forged UT 30.0° Steel Fiber i110 S
    Miura 1957 CB-57 7-8 Steel Fiber i110 S
    Miura 1957 Baby Blade 9-P Steel Fiber i110 S
    Miura Hand Grind Raw 52.0° / 10.0° Steel Fiber i110 S
    Miura Hand Grind Raw 58.0° / 10.0° Steel Fiber i110 S
    Miura 1957 KM-007 Soft Black Apollo APPN 36 Black Smoke S
    Callaway 2018 Chrome Soft X
  • platgofplatgof platgof ClubWRX Posts: 1,432 ClubWRX
    Take it easy now! Congrats on your return!
    GBB Fusion HT 13.5
    F9 5-6 WD
    F9 7-8 WD
    OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    P790 5-PW
    Glide AW, SW, LW
    TM Spider Pro Red C/S
    B330RX
  • rwc356rwc356 Chicago, IllinoisMembers Posts: 313 ✭✭
    Welcome Back - sounds a true Christmas Miracle. Merry Christmas for chilly Chicago!
    Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Walker bag
  • OrangeCrushOrangeCrush Members Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Merry Christmas guys,

Hit em good

Congrats, I found out I fractured my L5 last year. I walked away from the game for a year. I am much better today letting it heal but not 100%. I got 3 rounds in this summer and felt good.
    Callaway GBB 9* Diamana Kai'LI 70S
    Callaway RFE 9.5* Diamana Kai'LI 70S
    Callaway RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
    Callaway RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
    Callaway Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
    Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
    https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphoto/

[twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]
  • NJpatbeeNJpatbee Members Posts: 1,498 ✭✭
    That is great to hear! Have a great 2019 and welcome back to the game we all love.
  • bigred90gtbigred90gt Lefty Boomers Posts: 4,331 ✭✭
    edited Dec 28, 2018 #11

Hi guys,

Merry Christmas guys,

Hit em good

I didn’t have anything near a fusion (had a microdiscectomy/laminectomy at L4-5), and took 3 months off. Was a 3 index before surgery, took me 8-9 months to break 90 after. Lost about 40-50 yards off my driver, and almost 3 clubs on all my irons.

Pretty impressive you can come back after a year away recovering from a spinal fusion and shoot in the 70s. Congrats! What kind of handicap were you playing to before the surgery?
  • billh17billh17 just happy to play Members Posts: 2,867 ✭✭
    Congratulations ! I know the feeling of being happy to be out there. I took a year off due to surgery,and it took me

almost a full year to get back to where I was. But was so happy to be able to play again that I really didn't care !

Take care and enjoy it !
    Certified Orginal Member#2
    Outlaw Golf Association
    To Heck with the USGA
  • sthompson42sthompson42 Texas42 Members Posts: 69 ✭✭
    Congrats! It’s amazing the surgical technology we have today. Sounds like you are off to a great start and appreciative!

I had Anterior cervical discectomy and fusion (nothing compared to yours) about 3 years ago. Doctor told me I could golf in 6 weeks. I made the final check up appointment with the surgeon 6 weeks to the day. He cleared me and I played the next day. Funny, I didn’t even think about my neck until the third hole! I thought I might be timid but the surgey was really well done, fast recovery.
  • P.E.P.E. Members Posts: 85 ✭✭
    That is terrific to hear.

I am just finishing up a 5 month hospital stay to remove and replace infected hip replacements.

Your return to the game after major surgery makes me hope I can do the same one day.

Good luck!
  • Hit em goodHit em good Hit em good Members Posts: 2,098 ✭✭
    bigred90gt wrote:

Hi guys,

Merry Christmas guys,

Hit em good

I didn't have anything near a fusion (had a microdiscectomy/laminectomy at L4-5), and took 3 months off. Was a 3 index before surgery, took me 8-9 months to break 90 after. Lost about 40-50 yards off my driver, and almost 3 clubs on all my irons.

Pretty impressive you can come back after a year away recovering from a spinal fusion and shoot in the 70s. Congrats! What kind of handicap were you playing to before the surgery?

Sorry for the delay in responding. My course is a short-ish par 71 course, on a military base, and breaking 80 is not too difficult. I was a 6 cap prior to surgery. I've played 4 times now, and my scores are about the same. I am a club shorter though, due to a smoother, less aggressive swing. I hope to keep the smooth swing!!!!
  • ObeeObee ClubWRX Posts: 3,712 ClubWRX

Hi guys,

Merry Christmas guys,

Hit em good

Best of luck to you!
    PING G400 Max - Tour 65 S
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Titleist H1 19* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Titleist H1 23* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S
    Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
    Don Wood Custom Grind 47* PW
    Don Wood Custom Grind 51* GW
    Titleist "Vokey Design" 56* K Grind
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
    Odyssey Works Versa Tank 1W (bent to 78.5*)
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,836 ✭✭
    Op,

The first 3 clubs in your bag tell me all I need to know ... all time fav's of mine

You're a baller
    Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Oban Kiyoshi White 65s
    Ping G25 7w 20* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Ping G25 4h 23* Diamana White 92s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping s55 6-PW Fujikura mci 100s
    Vokey sm2 50* 54* 59* 64* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • gripandripgripandrip Members Posts: 976 ✭✭
    Congrats on the recovery. Hopefully there are many more years of golf in your back...

• Hit em goodHit em good Hit em good Members Posts: 2,098 ✭✭
    cardoustie wrote:

Op,

The first 3 clubs in your bag tell me all I need to know ... all time fav's of mine

You're a baller

Thank you for the kind words. I just can't find a replacement for those 3 woods.

I know you are a baller too!

Have a great 2019!
  • scomac2002scomac2002 Inside the Starters' Hut Members Posts: 5,510 ✭✭
    Congratulations Hit em good! I am likely headed down that path too at some point as I suffered a back injury over a year ago and have degenerating discs in the same area as your fusion. I didn't play much this past season, only three nine hole outings. I didn't find it enjoyable being tentative and trying to protect myself. Physiotherapy has only got me so far and I am stuck at a plateau of perhaps 50%, perhaps a bit more.

Your success gives me hope that one day I will be enjoying this game again on a regular basis. Good luck to you going forward.
    Your problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent!

TM RBZ Black 12°
    Cobra Baffler Rail F 15.5°/20°
    TM '09 Rescue 25°
    TM Burner Plus 6-AW
    TM Z Spin 56°
    Never Compromise NCX RAY tau
  • playmuchplaymuch Members Posts: 967 ✭✭
    Best of luck going forward. Know exactly where you are as i have a had a disc replacement at C5/6 and had C4/5 fused. I came back a bit too soon and if i had to go through it all again i would definitely take my time. Was to keen to get back on the course.
  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers Posts: 1,660 ✭✭
    edited Jan 9, 2019 6:53am #22
    Congratulations to the OP and everyone else who has recovered from serious injury. Rehab takes more discipline and will power than you can imagine.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Sonja HenieSonja Henie Members Posts: 108 ✭✭
    Congrats and good luck.

• Congrats! It's amazing the surgical technology we have today. Sounds like you are off to a great start and appreciative!

I had Anterior cervical discectomy and fusion (nothing compared to yours) about 3 years ago. Doctor told me I could golf in 6 weeks. I made the final check up appointment with the surgeon 6 weeks to the day. He cleared me and I played the next day. Funny, I didn't even think about my neck until the third hole! I thought I might be timid but the surgey was really well done, fast recovery.

ACDF aka "Peyton Manning Surgery" according to my (mid-single digit hcp) neurologist. Had C5 - T1 done middle of 2013, back hitting balls in about the same timeframe and a full round inside 3 months.
  • Congratulations to the OP, here's to plenty more years of frustration and joy. And congratulations to the OP's surgeon on a job well done!
  • nikegalnikegal The golf swing is simple arithmetic, not trigonometry Members Posts: 1,188 ✭✭
    That’s fantastic and great scores!!! Best wishes for a successful, enjoyable and pain free season image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> Madison