2019 Callaway Golf Balls

jesusdelallatajesusdelallata Members Posts: 193 ✭✭
Does anyone know if Callaway is coming out with new balls? The Cheome Soft has been on sale for about a month so I’m wondering if they are being phased out.
Driver - Callaway Rogue
3w - Callaway Rogue
5w - Callaway Rogue
Irons (GW - 4i) - Callaway Rogue
Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport
Wedges Callaway Mack Daddy 4 - 54 and 60 degrees

Comments

• ob18ob18 Members Posts: 1,630 ✭✭
    It could be they've been on sale for the holidays..............most things golf ball related run on a 2 year cycle.
    [font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]10* Callaway XR Driver
    15* Nickent 3 Wood
    18* Nickent F30 Hybrid
    Callaway Roque - 5 iron to A wedge
    54*, 58* Cleveland RTX 2.0 Wedges

Odyssey O-Works Red #7 Tank Putter
    Srixon Q-Star Tour[/font]
  • Charles.eichmanCharles.eichman ClubWRX Posts: 344 ClubWRX
    Yes there are new balls coming to market. A tour caliber ball similar to the AVX at a lower price point as well as a Supersoft ball that is actually larger. Similar to old top flite
  • chris975dchris975d GeorgiaClubWRX Posts: 1,912 ClubWRX
    ChromeSoft is on a 2 year refresh cycle, as are most ball models in the industry, and was just refreshed at the beginning of 2018. So it'll be another year on it. As has been said, the ERC is coming out (AVX competitor) with alignment aids, and a SuperSoft Magna (oversized).
    TaylorMade 9* M5 w/GD AD-IZ 6
    TaylorMade M5 3-wood
    TaylorMade M5 5-wood
    Srixon H85 4
    Srixon 5-PW, AW Z585 w/Project X LZ 6.0
    Cleveland RTX4 54*, 58*
    TaylorMade Spider X Copper
  • elwhippyelwhippy Members Posts: 3,124 ✭✭
    ERC balls have been on sale in Japan for years.....
  • sevenfouratesevenfourate Devotee of OCD ENGLAND.Members Posts: 1,882 ✭✭
    chris975d wrote:

ChromeSoft is on a 2 year refresh cycle, as are most ball models in the industry, and was just refreshed at the beginning of 2018. So it'll be another year on it. As has been said, the ERC is coming out (AVX competitor) with alignment aids, and a SuperSoft Magna (oversized).

Hope the ERC ball is more forgiving and better-sounding than the driver of the same name.............
    Regards - 'Shuv'

PING G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
    BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
    MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
    TAYLORMADE UDi No 4 (23 degree) - Project X - 6.5
    CALLAWAY X22 Tour Irons (5 - PW) - Project X - 6.5
    CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) - DG PRO S300
    RIFE Iconic Tour Vault 3 : Flow-Neck - 340g / 34.75"
    TAYLORMADE TP5 Golf Ball ←NEW 2019 Version→

SHUV'S WITB: http://www.golfwrx.c...l-and-now-2016/

chris975d wrote:

Hope the ERC ball is more forgiving and better-sounding than the driver of the same name.............

Sounds good, yes. Been trying it out for a bit now. Definitely sounds better than the Epic Flash driver! lol.
    TaylorMade M5 3-wood
    TaylorMade M5 5-wood
    Srixon H85 4
    Cleveland RTX4 54*, 58*
  • Night trainNight train Members Posts: 2,824 ✭✭
    ERC Soft.........three alignment stripes, 2 blue with a red one in the center between them
  • gpleonardgpleonard New Smyrna Beach, FloridaMembers Posts: 1,254 ✭✭
    edited Dec 26, 2018 #9
    I have one. It is a good ball. I have only used it to putt as I only have one . They are going to be available in March. Supposedly it will be longer and fly a bit higher than the AVX. I for one will give it a thorough test a soon as they are available. I have been using the Chrome Soft and these are supposed to be a better ball than the AVX. With a much better price point.
    Gil Leonard
  • jesusdelallatajesusdelallata Members Posts: 193 ✭✭
    Is it supposed to be in the same league as the project a and Q Star Tour? Or in the $40+ range?
    Driver - Callaway Rogue
    3w - Callaway Rogue
    5w - Callaway Rogue
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,614 ✭✭
    chris975d wrote:

Wasn't iteration #3 this past January ? 3 times in the last 3 years ? $36/doz, then $39/doz and the latest $44/doz.

And now that they're selling for $11 off, $33/doz, wouldn't that lead one to believe another ball is coming shortly ?

Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-4 48, 52, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 56* DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3, 64 DGS300

Evnroll 1.2 (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX
    nsxguy wrote:

chris975d wrote:

Wasn't iteration #3 this past January ? 3 times in the last 3 years ? $36/doz, then $39/doz and the latest $44/doz.

And now that they're selling for $11 off, $33/doz, wouldn't that lead one to believe another ball is coming shortly ?

All I can tell you is that a new ball hasn't been shown to account holders other than the ones listed above, and the previous (before the current gen with graphene) generation was available (to me) for 2 years.
    TaylorMade M5 3-wood
    TaylorMade M5 5-wood
    Srixon H85 4
    Cleveland RTX4 54*, 58*
  • sirparalotsirparalot Members Posts: 715 ✭✭
    No new CS for this year. ERC Soft and Supersoft Magna as said previously are the new offerings this year. Its touted as having a hybrid cover that creates more spin than a typical distance ball. Also Graphene infused like the CS. A buddy of mine found one while playing a local course here in Orlando last week and said it is long. He still has it and I'm going to try it when we play tomorrow.
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers Posts: 2,654 ✭✭
    I thought Callaway was launching a ball to compete against the Titleist AVX.
    Taylormade M6 driver MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2
    Titleist Yellow Pro V1
  • double or triple?double or triple? Members Posts: 1,971 ✭✭
    noodle3872 wrote:

Did you just post without actually reading any posts in the thread? It’s been posted at least twice already about a ball being launched that is a direct comparison/competitor to AVX
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers Posts: 2,654 ✭✭

noodle3872 wrote:

Did you just post without actually reading any posts in the thread? It's been posted at least twice already about a ball being launched that is a direct comparison/competitor to AVX

Guilty as charged. My quick reading skills are not on point at this time in the day.
    Taylormade M6 driver MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2
    Titleist Yellow Pro V1
  • sirparalotsirparalot Members Posts: 715 ✭✭
    edited Jan 3, 2019 2:25pm #17
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Oh wow the ball looks terrible.
    Driver - Callaway Rogue
    3w - Callaway Rogue
    5w - Callaway Rogue
    I take that back. I’ll try them. Lots of stories out on the internet about the release of all three Callaway balls. What’s interesting is that the ERC Soft is a 4 piece surlyn based hybrid cover ball. As long as it works I’m in.
    Driver - Callaway Rogue
    3w - Callaway Rogue
    5w - Callaway Rogue
  • Sergio just gave an interview where he mentioned the new chrome soft x. So I would bet they’ll be more to come this year.
  • storm319storm319 Members Posts: 3,771 ✭✭

I take that back. I'll try them. Lots of stories out on the internet about the release of all three Callaway balls. What's interesting is that the ERC Soft is a 4 piece surlyn based hybrid cover ball. As long as it works I'm in.

According to the USGA conforming balls list, it is a 3-piece with 1 cover so my guess is that it is 2 cores, 0 mantles, 1 surlyn cover like the legacy NXT Tour. Based on the marketing description and definitely by that pic above, there does not seem to be any urethane in this cover. So it looks like this will beat out the Tour Soft as the highest priced surlyn ball for 2019...
    I agree that the price sounds crazy. I will try it out. Right now I’m in love with the Q Star Tour and it’s $10 less per dozen.
    Driver - Callaway Rogue
    3w - Callaway Rogue
    5w - Callaway Rogue
    storm319 wrote:

I take that back. I'll try them. Lots of stories out on the internet about the release of all three Callaway balls. What's interesting is that the ERC Soft is a 4 piece surlyn based hybrid cover ball. As long as it works I'm in.

According to the USGA conforming balls list, it is a 3-piece with 1 cover so my guess is that it is 2 cores, 0 mantles, 1 surlyn cover like the legacy NXT Tour. Based on the marketing description and definitely by that pic above, there does not seem to be any urethane in this cover. So it looks like this will beat out the Tour Soft as the highest priced surlyn ball for 2019...

I remember we discussed the Tour Soft last year as the highest priced surlyn ball. I played one dozen the entire year. Great ball great performance. But agree that it’s over priced. Now this new Callaway better be amazing to justify the price. Since I love testing new balls I’ll give it a try.
    Driver - Callaway Rogue
    3w - Callaway Rogue
    5w - Callaway Rogue
  • MahamiltoMahamilto NYCMembers Posts: 1,922 ✭✭
    I doubt a company like Callaway would outright lie about their own product. Its much more likely the conforming list just has the cover composition binary (urethane or surlyn).

Every press release and Cally website say its a hybrid; some surly, some urethane. They claim that urethane is highly variable among other companies and the cover will spin as well as some urethane balls.

I won't disagree that there is no way I am paying $40/dozen for a ball that doesn't have tour spin around the greens, but I am waiting to see a ball test from someone reputable before claiming this thing won't spin.

People dog the AVX around the greens, but I can make it hop and stop all day.
    Titleist TS3 - 9.75* - HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 6.5 (D1 Setting, STD Fade)
    Titleist 917F2 - 15*, Diamana S+ LTD 80TX (B1 Setting, 16g Fade)
    Titleist 818 H1 - 19*, Tensei Pro White 90TX (B1 Setting, 12g Fade)
    Titleist 716 T-MB 4-iron - KBS C-Taper 130x
    Titleist 716 T-MB 5-9-iron - DG AMT x100
    Titleist 718 AP2 PW, 50* - DG AMT x100
    Titleist SM7 55* S-Grind - DG AMT x100
    Titleist SM2 59.12* - DG Tour Issue x100
    Evnroll ER6-B
    Bridgestone Tour BX
    Titleist Staff Stand Bag
  • tbowles411tbowles411 ClubWRX Posts: 25,117 ✭✭
    I like the AVX. A lot. For me it's the right mix of low spin and lower launch to keep the spin low. The TP5 is also very good in this regard. However, if there were a cheaper alternative, I'd explore it.
    **Bag Construction in Progress**
    Mizuno ST190 G 9.5 (Lofted to 10)
    Mizuno ST190 3TS
    Mizuno CLK 2 Hybrid
    Mizuno Fli-Hi 4 Iron Replacement
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal (5-PW)
    Mizuno S18 Wedges - Blue Ion (50-7, 54-12, 58-16, 62-8)
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X12
    PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
    Mahamilto wrote:

I doubt a company like Callaway would outright lie about their own product. Its much more likely the conforming list just has the cover composition binary (urethane or surlyn).

Every press release and Cally website say its a hybrid; some surly, some urethane. They claim that urethane is highly variable among other companies and the cover will spin as well as some urethane balls.

I won't disagree that there is no way I am paying $40/dozen for a ball that doesn't have tour spin around the greens, but I am waiting to see a ball test from someone reputable before claiming this thing won't spin.

The USGA list does not specify material, only the number of covers (their guidance is that mantles are considered a cover, but as with spin characteristics the list reflects what the OEM submits with their submission application).

Callaway is not explicitly lying, but they are being disingenuous by implying that the cover contains urethane when it doesn't. To be fair, other OEMs have done this in the past as well so I am not specifically faulting Callaway. Please see this quote from **** which leads me to believe that this ball does not contain any urethane:

"Callaway's cover starts with a Surlyn base, but adds several proprietary ingredients to both increase ball speeds (on short irons/wedges) and spin. Because urethane has different grades, Callaway claims the cover of the ERC Soft can outperform several competitors which elect to use lesser versions of urethane."

If the cover formulation actually contained urethane, they would have explicitly stated that instead of "several proprietary ingredients". The reality is the majority of golfers know very little nor can even distinguish between differences in ball construction anyways and that large demographic is really whom most of this marketing is aimed at. I am sure we will gain some clarity during the PGA Show and the campaign to follow.
  • UndonersgUndonersg Members Posts: 90
    I just got selected to be a tester of this golf ball! I am jacked up.
  • bulls9999bulls9999 Members Posts: 697 ✭✭
    What's happened with golf balls? They used to be 90+ compression and ~80 for higher handicappers, then they came out with a 50-ccompression ball and now this E.R.C. Soft is supposed to be ~35 compression yet they are labeling it as the longest ball? How did compression get flipped to become 'long'?

ERC Soft.........three alignment stripes, 2 blue with a red one in the center between them
    GHIN Index 13.8
    storm319 wrote:

Mahamilto wrote:

The USGA list does not specify material, only the number of covers (their guidance is that mantles are considered a cover, but as with spin characteristics the list reflects what the OEM submits with their submission application).

Callaway is not explicitly lying, but they are being disingenuous by implying that the cover contains urethane when it doesn't. To be fair, other OEMs have done this in the past as well so I am not specifically faulting Callaway. Please see this quote from **** which leads me to believe that this ball does not contain any urethane:

"Callaway's cover starts with a Surlyn base, but adds several proprietary ingredients to both increase ball speeds (on short irons/wedges) and spin. Because urethane has different grades, Callaway claims the cover of the ERC Soft can outperform several competitors which elect to use lesser versions of urethane."

If the cover formulation actually contained urethane, they would have explicitly stated that instead of "several proprietary ingredients". The reality is the majority of golfers know very little nor can even distinguish between differences in ball construction anyways and that large demographic is really whom most of this marketing is aimed at. I am sure we will gain some clarity during the PGA Show and the campaign to follow.

There is a Callaway video (can't find it at the moment) where Arnett is interviewing one of the engineers/designers of the ball (I believe). She clearly states there is no urethane, but surlyn that plays like urethane.

Actually, I found it. Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBtR6BcYQtI

She states it starting about the 1:10 mark.
    TaylorMade M5 3-wood
    TaylorMade M5 5-wood
    Srixon H85 4
    Cleveland RTX4 54*, 58*
    chris975d wrote:

storm319 wrote:

Mahamilto wrote:

There is a Callaway video (can't find it at the moment) where Arnett is interviewing one of the engineers/designers of the ball (I believe). She clearly states there is no urethane, but surlyn that plays like urethane.

Actually, I found it. Here: [url="

She states it starting about the 1:10 mark.

Yep, I already posted that in another thread image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1729288-callaway-erc-soft/page__p__18482702#entry18482702

• GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, FloridaMembers Posts: 1,737 ✭✭
    Driver: He who shall not be named...
    3 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    5 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and Honma TW737 Forged 62
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star 2018 (Yellow)