2019 Rules - YELLOW Penalty Areas

nsxguy

Since the other thread on the 2019 rules in general has turned into a 2 man tussle, and since that thread is about "all" the 2019 Rules, and since there seems to be some question as to whether or not the intent of the new Rule is to allow a drop on the green side of a yellow penalty area, I thought Id start a separate thread, one that concentrates on this particular issue; though it shouldn't go too far as most has been discussed in the original thread.

Issue - Ball crosses over a yellow penalty area, lands outside the PA (on the green side of the PA) and rolls back into the hazard (see mock up below of the 12th at Augusta).

Question - Can the player take relief on the green side of the yellow PA and not have to go over the PA again ?

Answer - Yes*

By the current (2018) Rules the player would have to drop behind the yellow water hazard and go over it again.

But as the future 2019 Rule is written, if not illustrated, it appears as though relief can indeed be taken on the green side of the yellow "penalty area".

First the mock up of the hole

Now the part of the "Player's Edition" of the 2019 Rules where the issue is addressed.

Can't copy/post the pic - it's here though - http://www.usga.org/...rule&rulenum=17

The consensus on the previous thread of the "Rules Guys", with which I agree, is as written,,,,,,

(2) Back-On-the-Line Relief. The player may drop the original ball or another ball (see Rule 14.3) in a relief area that is based on a reference line going straight back from the hole through the estimated point where the original ball last crossed the edge of the penalty area:

Reference Point: A point on the course chosen by the player that is on the reference line and is farther from the hole than the estimated point (with no limit on how far back on the line):

The verbiage below the illustration linked above says "relief area based on a reference line going straight back from the hole THROUGH point X (Point X being on the TEE side of the yellow PA.

The illustration linked above however, the only one on the yellow PA, from the USGA, does NOT show the ball crossing on the green side of the Yellow PA.

However, since the above verbiage from the Rule says "the player may drop the original ball or another ball (see Rule 14.3) in a relief area that is based on a reference line going straight back from the hole through the estimated point where the original ball last crossed the edge of the penalty area", that "estimated point" can be immediately behind where it last crossed and the "reference point" can be immediately behind the EP (on the reference line).

That then puts the "reference point" almost immediately behind the point the ball last crossed.

As the "relief area" is 1 club length on either side of the RP (but cannot be in the same PA), in the Augusta mock up above, the RP CAN be to the left of the EP/RP.

Is it possible the USGA and R&A overlooked this particular situation ? And meant for the yellow PA TO be crossed again ? I guess it's possible. :dntknw:

*Several people have written the USGA/R&A about this and one gentleman indicates those that should, are discussing this very issue. We have yet to hear back AFAIK.

What confuses me personally though is that a document highlighting the "major changes" does NOT mention this change (NOT having to go across a yellow PA again). https://www.randa.or...centre?filters=

Further, as one can see, the illustration from the Rules doesn't even show an estimated point or a reference point (X), for the yellow PA on the green side of the PA - then again it doesn't seem like that illustration IS for an entry point on the green side.

Edited to add - Further, the changes (linked to above) says the OLD rule was "All water hazards should be marked yellow, except where their location on the course makes it impossible or unreasonable to drop behind the hazard; only when this is the case may these water hazards be marked red as lateral water hazards" and the NEW rule is "Committees are given the discretion to mark all penalty areas as red so that lateral relief is always allowed (but they may still mark penalty areas as yellow where they consider it appropriate)"

So IF the above (Augusta 12 example) is intended as written, to allow sideways relief from the yellow hazard, why would there even BE any yellow penalty areas any more ?

Discuss. Or not.

Either way when we hear back I (or others) will post about it here.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Is it possible the USGA and R&A overlooked this particular situation ? And meant for the yellow PA TO be crossed again ? I guess it's possible. :dntknw:

*Several people have written the USGA/R&A about this and one gentleman indicates those that should, are discussing this very issue. We have yet to hear back AFAIK.

What confuses me personally though is that a document highlighting the "major changes" does NOT mention this change (NOT having to go across a yellow PA again). https://www.randa.or...centre?filters=

Further, as one can see, the illustration from the Rules doesn't even show an estimated point or a reference point (X), for the yellow PA on the green side of the PA - then again it doesn't seem like that illustration IS for an entry point on the green side.

Discuss. Or not.

Either way when we hear back I (or others) will post about it here.

I think you have made an effective summary of this issue (so no benefit in repeating above). The only additional observation I wish to add is to note that this BOL issue for 2019 relates to any PA. This is because there are NO relief options for a yellow PA that are limited to a yellow PA.

Was this possible BOL green side relief intended? I guess we will get the answer to that question when/if Ruling Bodies say something. Unfortunately, the vast majority of the changes do not come with any information or explanation. And while most meet the aims of simply the rules, reduce confusion and eliminate unnecessary penalties, some go the other way.

In the first round (March 2017) a summary document was released with a title that included 'all proposed changes..' but that ambitious objective appears to have been abandoned along the way because it was not updated since then, even though the evolution of the new rules continued apace through 2018.

I hope the attached diagram (courtesy in the ifrst instance of Google Maps) will help illustrate the issue. I think my own view was made clear in the other thread, but to summarise, it is that as the rules are written, you can choose a reference point in a penalty area (yellow or red) for back on the line relief which may result in a partial relief area on the green side of the penalty area.

The diagram is meant to complement the photograph above and show how the possibility exists on the 12th on Augusta. The club-length semi-circle is not to scale!

Diagram 1

Being able to drop on the green side of a yellow PA would mean that the RB's are destroying the idea created by the persons who have designed golf courses. Today a yellow Water Hazard is meant to be crossed by hitting a ball over it, not carrying a ball on the other side. I find it sad if this principle is changed.

On the other hand, perhaps the RBs see the chances of a greenside relief as quite small, so rather than write yet another "except" into R17, they let it go. You'll have to admit that the geometry has to be just wrong to make it happen. :golfer:

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

On the other hand, perhaps the RBs see the chances of a greenside relief as quite small, so rather than write yet another "except" into R17, they let it go. You'll have to admit that the geometry has to be just wrong to make it happen. :golfer:

I think this will be the interesting thing to see ---- how often will this scenario present itself? The diagram posted above represents the traditional Sunday pin at the Masters. They wouldn't have to hit it as far left as the diagram either. You could probably still pull it off as far right as in between the bunkers. But yes, you are certainly correct in saying that the geometry would have to line up just right (or "wrong" lol) to make it happen. Namely:

1. The hole location
  2. The point of entry into the penalty area
  3. The shape of the yellow line
  4. The relief area would have to be suitable enough (decent turf, decent stance) to make you decide to use that as your option.

The 12th at Augusta wouldn't make it a huge advantage (other than eliminating the mental torture of having to hit over the water again). But imagine the body of water being a large pond that requires a 180-yard carry. Now the difference becomes hitting a mid / long iron vs. a chip.

There might only be 1 or 2 holes on any given course where the scenario could be possible. But I could see some Florida courses with tons of water presenting even more possibilities.

It will be interesting to watch as the PGA Tour gets going again next week to see if anyone finds themselves in this situation. The Florida swing could especially present the opportunity.

I was the one that brought it all up in the other thread and I emailed the USGA rules committee about it on Dec. 17th. I got an auto reply the same day that stated:

Thank you for taking the time to send us your Rules of Golf question.

Your answer will come directly from a member of our team, and not from this email address ([email protected]). To ensure you receive your answer, please make sure the spam blocker on your email program will accept all emails from usga.org.

We will answer your question as quickly as possible, usually within 3 business days. If you need an immediate answer, please call the USGA Rules team at (908) 326-1850.

You may also find answers to your question(s), along with other helpful resources on the Rules of Golf section of the USGA website.

We look forward to answering your question and appreciate your interest the Rules of Golf.

So it said "usually within 3 business days" but nothing yet. I'll post here if I get a response.

You'll have to admit that the geometry has to be just wrong to make it happen. :golfer:

Take a sphere and put the hole in the center of it. Now you have no possibility to make it happen. But once you move that hole away from the center the possibilities increase dramatically. And as no green is a symmetrical sphere you will have such a possibility virtually on every green on every course.

RB main options are:

a) do nothing, ie retain the current 2019 wording that potentially permits green side relief for a ball that last crosses the PA on the green side of the PA;

b) change R17.1d(2), returning to the 'behind the PA' limitation of pre-2019; or

c) enable a local rule that allows Committee's the discretion to limit BOL relief to 'behind the PA'.

My guess would be they will either do a) and c) together or do b).

RB main options are:

a) do nothing, ie retain the current 2019 wording that potentially permits green side relief for a ball that last crosses the PA on the green side of the PA;

b) change R17.1d(2), returning to the 'behind the PA' limitation of pre-2019; or

c) enable a local rule that allows Committee's the discretion to limit BOL relief to 'behind the PA'.

Could they not fix the issue by eliminating the "one club length to either side" of the BOL?

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

RB main options are:

I "vote" for them prohibiting the reference point from being in the same penalty area.

RB main options are:

Could they not fix the issue by eliminating the "one club length to either side" of the BOL?

IMO a significant success in consistency, practicality, playability and speed of play in the 2019 rules is the establishment of a relief area for every drop you ever make. So I'm not hoping for this.

(On the other hand, a nice feature of the 2016 and earlier rules was when a ref watched a player pull out his driver as he began to take relief from a yellow water hazard, the ref knew for sure the player had no idea what he was doing and could hustle over to help before some damage was done.) :no2:

RB main options are:

I "vote" for them prohibiting the reference point from being in the same penalty area.

I believe you were the one who told us there was a "meeting going on" about this very thing, yes ?

Personally I hope your "vote" turns out to be the "resolution".

Edited to add - Further, the changes (linked to above) says the OLD rule was "All water hazards should be marked yellow, except where their location on the course makes it impossible or unreasonable to drop behind the hazard; only when this is the case may these water hazards be marked red as lateral water hazards" and the NEW rule is "Committees are given the discretion to mark all penalty areas as red so that lateral relief is always allowed (but they may still mark penalty areas as yellow where they consider it appropriate)"

So IF the above (Augusta 12 example) is intended as written, to allow sideways relief from the yellow hazard, why would there even BE any yellow penalty areas any more ?

I added the above to the OP as I'd forgotten about it yesterday...........

Titleist Pro V1X

RB main options are:

I believe you were the one who told us there was a "meeting going on" about this very thing, yes ?

Personally I hope your "vote" turns out to be the "resolution".

I added the above to the OP as I'd forgotten about it yesterday...........

Yes, I did say that I was informed that our issue was being addressed, but to be clear I made no suggestion as to how, or even whether, it should be resolved. While I hold the opinion that requiring you to keep the yellow penalty area generally in front of you after the drop is the right thing for the rules to do, in my inquery I was simply looking for clarity.

RB main options are:

I agree with this. This very small change in wording maintains the general requirement currently in effect, in that the dropped ball would be on the "tee side" of the penalty area in almost every case, while maintaining the very slight flexibility that the 1-club-length radius from the reference point allows. It also makes the definition of "reference point" more consistent with the definition of "relief area", in that neither one could be in the current penalty area.

RB main options are:

If I had a vote, it’d be mine also.

99.999% of golfers will never know this option exists in the new rules. Most golfers I know don’t have a very good grasp on the old rules. The new rules they’ll apply by accident.

So really, it’s only people that read these threads about it that will even know something like this exists. Those 99.999% of golfers will still take yellow relief behind the hazard.

It’d be nice if the rule was written that way also.

Furthermore, I believe that part of Rule 17 they just got confused while writing. Probably all the copying and pasting. It should be “Limits on Location of Reference Point”. Instead of “relief area” as it is now.

Then further down it’d be:

Must not be nearer the hole than the PLC.

May be in any area of the course except the same P.A.

Then the last part stays the same.

Then the 2019 rules would match up closely to previous yellow hazard rules.

Furthermore, I believe that part of Rule 17 they just got confused while writing. Probably all the copying and pasting. It should be "Limits on Location of Reference Point". Instead of "relief area" as it is now.

Then further down it'd be:

I think they just "missed it". It happens. You're so focused on the (common) issue you forget other possibilities. Sometimes you really can't see the forest for the trees.

Yellow hazard, yellow PA, same-same.

Yellow PA, drop behind the PA no matter which side the ball last crossed. Same-same. Easy peasy, case closed.

I think they simply just didn't connect the dots between all the new terms,

PA, RA, RP, EP. They don't even mention "point last crossed". It's now the "estimated point". They state X = Point that ball entered the area. In the text they use the term "estimated point" instead of PLC. Then they say the RP may be anywhere behind the EP.

All good,,,,,,,,,,,, so long as the EP isn't on the green side of the yellow PA.

Anyway, that's my theory. :dntknw:

Titleist Pro V1X

Furthermore, I believe that part of Rule 17 they just got confused while writing. Probably all the copying and pasting. It should be "Limits on Location of Reference Point". Instead of "relief area" as it is now.

Then further down it'd be:

There is a welcome consistency throughout all the rules concerning relief, no less so in those involving back on the line relief: 17.1d Penalty Areas; 16.1c Abnormal course conditions; 19.2b Unplayable Ball. The explanation of reference line, refererence point and relief areas is the same throughout without qualification as to where on the reference line the reference point can be. The dots are very well connected! I like that.

One thing I'm sure of - it will be dealt with one way or another in good time for clarity during the Masters.

I'm not a fan of these 2019 changes .... I knew the old rules so well

Anyways, carry on

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I don't find this "problem" the least bit interesting. The notion that the player must carry a pond or a creek in order to be worthy, while long standing, is tedious. For those who are good enough to play competitive golf the skill required is a given.

I object to almost every use of the word "except" in the first couple of hundred years of the Rules and 2019 carries on that sad tradition. So there! :golfer:

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

PA, RA, RP, EP. They don't even mention "point last crossed".

? I think they do . . .

Yellow:

(2) Back-On-the-Line Relief. The player may drop the original ball or another ball (see Rule 14.3) in a relief area that is based on a reference line going straight back from the hole through the estimated point where the original ball last crossed the edge of the penalty area:

Red:

• Reference Point: The estimated point where the original ball last crossed the edge of the red penalty area.

I object to almost every use of the word "except" in the first couple of hundred years of the Rules and 2019 carries on that sad tradition. So there! :golfer:

Hasn't there been a fair number of removals?

It might be interesting to start a new thread listing the remaining ones that you don't like and how you would change the situation

I don't find this "problem" the least bit interesting. The notion that the player must carry a pond or a creek in order to be worthy, while long standing, is tedious. For those who are good enough to play competitive golf the skill required is a given.

Given that the skill required is a given, I see a remarkable number of world-class golfers going into water. :)

Given that the skill required is a given, I see a remarkable number of world-class golfers going into water. :)

Haha yup. It's not about having the skill to hit over the water. It's about the advantage of having a greenside chip for your next shot vs. having to hit a 5 iron (or whatever the situation calls for).

As an aside, has this issue not been raised previous to the other thread? The new rules were announced how long ago? Has anyone heard this discussed prior to about a week ago??

It might be interesting to start a new thread listing the remaining ones that you don't like and how you would change the situation

What should we call it?

"They didn't go far enough."

As I sat through the workshop last month, I asked myself why can this happen here, here and here, but not there? Don't get me wrong they did yeoman's work.

As I sat through the workshop last month, I asked myself why can this happen here, here and here, but not there? Don't get me wrong they did yeoman's work.

An item for 'another place'?

An item for 'another place'?

A geeky place or a discussion place?

PA, RA, RP, EP. They don't even mention "point last crossed".

? I think they do . . .

Yellow:

Red:

• Reference Point: The estimated point where the original ball last crossed the edge of the red penalty area.

You are correct. I was referring to the illustration which speaks of "estimated point". Of course, estimated point was defined elsewhere as point last crossed.

Sorry for any confusion.

Titleist Pro V1X