What’s the best gps watch for the money

mmarlermmarler Members, Lefty Boomers Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
I’ve been through all the gps gadgets that hang off the bag and. Had many range finders. Been just using yardage markers for the last couple of years but would like a more precise yardage. I’m left handed so I wear a watch playing golf anyway and got to thinking about watch gps models. They seem to be lots of choices right now. Anyone got any good advice on one that won’t break the bank?

Mike
Taylormade M4 9.5 GD Tour AD DI 6x
Taylormade SLDR 15* GD Tour AD DI 7s
TaylorMade SLDR Hybrid 19* Tour AD Di 85 Stiff 
Titleist 731PM (black nitride) 4-pw KBS Tour
Titleist Vokey SM7 Black 50*F,  54*S, 58*M KBS Tour
Bettinardi Baby Bee 1st Run

Comments

• jmck1737jmck1737 Members Posts: 47 ✭✭
    I recently added a Garmin S20 after some price vs. performance research. I wanted the watch to supplement my Bushnell laser. So far I have about 15 rounds with it and the accuracy is pretty good. I use the watch for front middle back numbers and the laser for the distance to the pin. The watch also helps when cart path only, too often around here lately, when deciding which 3 clubs to take with me to the ball.

one of the larger watches on the market but that works for me with my aging eyes. It is not touch screen but the buttons are easy to use and I have had no trouble using them. I also use it to keep score without too much difficulty. overall I am happy with it for the price point. Found it on sale.

The Garmin app also tracks shots, gives average shot distance and some other stats that may or may not interest you.
  • LaymanMLaymanM Cincinnati, OHMembers Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    jmck1737 wrote:

I recently added a Garmin S20 after some price vs. performance research. I wanted the watch to supplement my Bushnell laser. So far I have about 15 rounds with it and the accuracy is pretty good. I use the watch for front middle back numbers and the laser for the distance to the pin. The watch also helps when cart path only, too often around here lately, when deciding which 3 clubs to take with me to the ball.

one of the larger watches on the market but that works for me with my aging eyes. It is not touch screen but the buttons are easy to use and I have had no trouble using them. I also use it to keep score without too much difficulty. overall I am happy with it for the price point. Found it on sale.

The Garmin app also tracks shots, gives average shot distance and some other stats that may or may not interest you.

Do you find the shot tracking and other stats useful and accurate? I'm looking to buy a GPS watch.

Considering Garmin S60, Garmin S20 and Shot Scope V2 (which has the most shot tracking)
    PING G410 9* PX Evenflow Black 75 6.0
    PING G410 LST 3w PX Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    PING G410 5w PX Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    PING G410 4-PW AWT 2 0 stiff
    PING Stealth Glide 2.0 50ss/54ss/58ss
    PING Sigam G Tyne
  • sheldonjhackersheldonjhacker Members Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    S20 image/nyam.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':nyam:' />
  • MathwizMathwiz Members Posts: 986 ✭✭
    I will echo jmck1737 pretty much word for word. It is a very comfortable watch and the size is just right. Battery life is great also and Garmin seems to be good at keeping it updated. One thing I also like about it is the shot distance measure feature. It gives you a dose of reality versus people who think they hit driver much farther than they actually do. I keep score with mine also. It is quick and simple to do immediately after putting out on a hole. By posting a few quick info data points, after the round when you get the summary, it gives some great info such as total putts, the number of fairways hit, the number of greens in regulation and a few more.
    Ping G400 Max 10.5°
    Taylormade 2017 M2 15°
    Srixon U65 20° 3 iron
    Srixon z565 4 thru PW
    48° & 52° Cleveland CBX wedges
    Cleveland Smart sole wedge 58°
    Ping Sigma 2 Kushin  center shaft

All subject to change in the blink of an eye.........and I blink a lot.
  • mmarlermmarler Members, Lefty Boomers Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like g20 must be the way to go
  • mukstermukster The secret IS in the dirt North of the 49thMembers Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for starting this thread. I have an old Garmin S1 that still works, it will be 7 years old on the 27 January. The strap is starting to go and I have been looking for an upgrade. Will look at the S20.
    Callaway XR16 driver, 9 degrees, Diamana S+ shaft
    Callaway Epic Subzero 13.5, Mitsubishi Fubuki Z 65
    Cobra Baffler Rail H 17* hybrid, 
    Cobra F8 22* hybrid
    Srixon Z765 5-PW irons, KBS Tour V shafts
    Cleveland CBX 50* wedge
    Hogan Equalizer 54* wedge
    Mizuno S18 58* wedge
    Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter
  • mmarlermmarler Members, Lefty Boomers Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Just purchased the G20 from Kohl’s. They had them on sale for $149 and the wife had $30 in kohl cash so I got it at a very good price. Thank you for all the replies in steering me in the right direction.
  • KGilmaKGilma Members Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    I have the s20 too, it isn't as fancy as the s60 but its just as accurate. A guy I play with has one, and the yardage is always the same.
    Ping G400 Max 9* Tensei Pro Orange 60
    Cobra King F9 3w 14.5*
    Cobra King F6 Baffler 5w 17.5*
    Cobra King F6 irons 5-GW
    Titleist Vokey SM7 56*
    Scotty Newport 2
  • Double GeeDouble Gee Members Posts: 1,081 ✭✭
    Had the Garmin watches,cthe early ones but I've now got the Bushnell Neo. It's been excellent.

Battery life gets me 3 rounds and I've checked the accuracy against a laser and it's within a few feet.

Has bunkers, water and clearance shown.

Highly recommended!
    Just picked up a Garmin Approach S20. Havent used it on course yet but been wearing it around the last 2 days. I like that it counts my steps and has sunup and sunset on it. Looking forward to using it on course with the scorecard and distance tracking. I often find myself unable to shoot a pin with my bushnell laser and thought this would make life a lot easier.

Only complaint is that it is not backlight so wearing in dark or in car at night you cant see anything...
    PING Sigam G Tyne
  • cristphotocristphoto Members Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I think all the technology today is fairly close. The tiebreaker for me is battery life. I have the Bushnell Excel and it can easily go the entire weekend without needing a charge. I have friends with other brands that sometimes can’t finish the round.
  • GSRswapandslowGSRswapandslow Members Posts: 68 ✭✭
    i just picked up an S20 this week.....used it at one of my local courses and it worked AWESOME. I've never had a GPS or laser or anything.....but this thing was great. Now, my play sucked, as i have new irons (went from more traditional lofted MP57 to JPX900)...but the S20 was spot on!
    LaymanM wrote:

Just picked up a Garmin Approach S20. Havent used it on course yet but been wearing it around the last 2 days. I like that it counts my steps and has sunup and sunset on it. Looking forward to using it on course with the scorecard and distance tracking. I often find myself unable to shoot a pin with my bushnell laser and thought this would make life a lot easier.

Only complaint is that it is not backlight so wearing in dark or in car at night you cant see anything...

Used my new s20 3 times now. Wow amazing! Why didnt I buy this sooner. So much better than a phone and like it much better than my bushnell laser. I love it. Tracks daily steps, sleep, score. Been flawless. Love the quick distance readings, score keeping, layup info and hazardous. Finding layup info very hand pre tee shot and making better and quick decisions.

Another cool feature is the automatic shot track g. It is not perfect but after round you can sync to your phone and it will show you club distances and you can label your shots to get on course average distances. Very handy. Note, I only mark full shots as not to mess up average distances.
    PING Sigam G Tyne
  • SilenceXSilenceX Members Posts: 52 ✭✭
    edited Jan 7, 2019 11:51am #15
    For not more more money than a S20 you can just get a Samsung Galaxy Watch ($220-260 can be found somewhat regularly since black friday), which has SmartCaddie as a free GPS distance app. There is a subscription after the trial ends that you can pay $30/year or $100 lifetime for shot tracking, scorekeeping, and green elevations, but basic distances are always free. The distances are always spot on vs when I compare to my rangefinder. And the free version will always show front, middle and back of pin distances and auto moves with you hole to hole (versus GolfPad that requires you to change holes, and even need a subscription just to use the watch app). And if you go too far for bluetooth from your phone the watch app is still 100% fully functional (also unlike GolfPad).

Plus, you get everything else that comes with a smartwatch. I turn on smartcaddie and spotify, throw my phone in my waterproof area of my golf bag and have zero reason to pull it out through the entire round. Can check and make all my calls and texts from the watch if I have to, can change music, check sports scores, etc. I love it, and the twist dial on the watch is really satisfying and convenient to use versus any other "smart" type watches. Battery life is 2-3 days of regular use. 1-2 days of heavy use, especially if golfing multiple rounds.
  • Lomo SaltadoLomo Saltado Members Posts: 80 ✭✭✭
    edited Jan 7, 2019 2:21pm #16
    I do love the S20 but I still have issues with the club tracking. It registers shots I never made or shots made by a playing partner. I've had shots registered for 20 yards left of the first teebox when I was literally standing there watching the group ahead tee off.

I wish there was an optional feature that after each shot it asked you to confirm it was an actual shot.. like.. in addition to the watch asking you which club you just hit there was another choice to say "ignore" or "i didn't hit a shot, b****" or something along those lines.
  • ChrisO72ChrisO72 Members Posts: 63 ✭✭
    Can you tell me how the lay up distances work? Do you select where you want to lay up to or does it choose where it thinks you should lay up to?

I mean on the S20 thank you
    WITB:
    Ping G400Max 9dg Tour 65S
    Ping G400 2h Tour 85S
    Titleist AP3 4-GW TT AMT White X100
    Vokey SM7 50.08F, 54.08M, 58.08M
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5
  • mankumanku Members Posts: 783 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just picked up an Bushnell Excel for $149 less 20 coupon at Roger Dunn...for $129 don't think it can be beat.

FWIW, I returned an S20 mainly because I couldn't get past the square face...I like my watches round. Otherwise, it was a fine watch with excellent software and battery life. Much improved over my S2.
  • rattlergolferrattlergolfer Members Posts: 141 ✭✭✭
    Has anyone used the fitbit Ionic? It has the Game Golf app?
    Driver: F9 - Oban Revenge
    3 Wood: F9 - Oban Revenge
    5 Wood: F9 - Oban Revenge
    Irons: Bridgestone J15 - KBS Tour Lite C-Taper
    Wedges: Cleveland - CG
    Putter: Taylormade Spider
    Ball: < Testing >
  • Double KDouble K Members Posts: 764 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rattlergolfer said:

I have it and I'm returning it. It's hot garbage. Impossible to sync the courses to the app. The other golf app drains the battery before the round is complete.

The search continues...

Titleist 913D2 10.5* GD DI-6s
    Titleist 913F 15* Project X X-flex
    Adams 22* Hybrid
    Titleist 710 AP2 4 - PW
    Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
    Scotty FuturaX or Tank Cruiser #7 Scotty Newport 2
  • spacecowboyspacecowboy Members Posts: 588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Garmin vivoactive 3 has been outstanding. Battery life is great, can be used for multiple sports (running, hiking, skiing, biking, etc) and looks good for every day use. Golf accuracy is the same across the board and mainly depends on how accurately the course was mapped.

Titleist 917 D2 10.5
    Titleist 913 H 19
    Titleist 910 H 24
    Nike Covert Forged 2.0
    Vokey 54.14
    Vokey 58.08
    Odyssey 2 Ball
  • swgolferswgolfer GoLow2 Members Posts: 336 ✭✭✭✭

There are many options but I would suggest staying with the Garmin which is a category Leader, Not a fan of the Bushnell watches as they still require you to manually scroll to the course or hole if you shotgun start.

• rattlergolferrattlergolfer Members Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

@Double K said:

@rattlergolfer said:

I have it and I'm returning it. It's hot garbage. Impossible to sync the courses to the app. The other golf app drains the battery before the round is complete.

The search continues...

I purchased the Samsung Watch and use the Taylormade app. The app is free BUT it does NOT give me yardage to hazards.

Driver: F9 - Oban Revenge
    3 Wood: F9 - Oban Revenge
    5 Wood: F9 - Oban Revenge
    Irons: Bridgestone J15 - KBS Tour Lite C-Taper
    Wedges: Cleveland - CG
    Putter: Taylormade Spider
    Ball: < Testing >
  • LinkkingxLinkkingx Members Posts: 234 ✭✭✭

I had the Garmin S1 for years and upgraded to the X10. I really like the compact size and simplicity of it. The hazard info is there along with a green view if you need it, but I use it in conjunction with a laser so I don't check it much. If you're used to wearing a watch the size might not matter too much to you though and there are definitely other watches out there with more bells and whistles. If you just want the basics though the X10 is hard to beat.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file