Does anyone use a 4 wood, a hybrid and a 3 iron?

hwturner17

I'm facing the same dilemma I think most people face, which is that current day 3 woods go pretty close to the same distance as my driver, so I've opted for a 4 or 5 wood recently. I'm starting to reconfigure the bag and was wondering if anyone uses a traditional 3 iron, a hybrid and a 4 wood.

I understand the lofts are going to be pretty close to the same, but variations in shaft weights and lengths should make a meaningful difference in distances.

I won't get rid of my normal 3 iron, but I can't decide if I want;

• 4 wood (16.5*-17*), hybrid (19*) and traditional 3 iron
  • 4 wood (16.5*-17*) and traditional 3 iron
  • 2 hybrid (17*) and traditional 3 iron

Just curious about what you all do in a similar situation. Thank you!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm facing the same dilemma I think most people face, which is that current day 3 woods go pretty close to the same distance as my driver, so I've opted for a 4 or 5 wood recently. I'm starting to reconfigure the bag and was wondering if anyone uses a traditional 3 iron, a hybrid and a 4 wood.

I understand the lofts are going to be pretty close to the same, but variations in shaft weights and lengths should make a meaningful difference in distances.

Some of the answer depends on what you want each club to do, AND how well you are able to hit fairway woods.

So if you want a large-headed club (aka a fairway wood) for layup tee shots, and a 3W goes too far, then carry the 16.5 fairway for just that reason. On the other hand, if you are looking for something that you can hit more reliably and maybe get home in two on some par 5's, then try the 17* and/or 19* hybrid and maybe forget the fairway wood at all. Also, you are going to regularly use a fairway wood off the ground, then you may be looking for a different club head than if you are only going to hit it off the tee.

I'd urge you do maybe invest in Arrcos or keep some really careful and detailed data with a GPS program, or get on a Trackman, because I think you are going to find that you hit the 19* hybrid every bit as far off the ground as you do a 16.5* FW, and with a lot more consistency. (I won't speak to the 3 iron because I haven't had one since maybe the Reagan administration, and you say you're going to keep it anyway.) In my case, I got fooled by a higher trajectory into thinking that I was hitting a 7 wood farther than I was hitting my 4 hybrid, only to learn thru Arrcos that I was hitting the hybrid farther AND more consistently; same thing with the 2 hybrid and the 4 wood.

The result of all of this is that I carry a fairly deep-faced three wood that is my only fairway, and in 30+ tournaments in 2018, I didn't hit it off the ground more than a time or two; it was strictly a layup club off the tee, and there aren't many of those shots for me anymore at age 66. So I've gotten a shallow faced 3 wood and am dedicating myself to getting back to hitting it this offseason; if spring comes and I'm not picking up yardage, then next year there won't be ANY fairways in my bag, and I'll add a 17* hybrid and be done with it.

I know players that go driver then 7 wood the 4h or 4di before irons start at 5

As above poster said many folks do better w a 7w and even 9w vs hybrids

My set up changed when recent 3w heads became a lot easier to hit off the deck

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I wouldn’t discount looking at a utility 3 iron in place of the hybrid - something like a p790, udi, or ping crossover type club that is a little more friendly than a set 3 iron.

Depending on your wedge setup, you could even use a utility 2 iron primarily for tee shots, keep the 4 wood and then go to your 3 iron.

I’m toying with going with a utility long iron, then a hybrid, then to my set 4 iron, to have the shots I need in the bag.

I have a 4wd, 3 and 4 hybrids (21* and 24*) and a 21* driving iron. All serve different purposes in the bag. I only carry pw, 50.5* Wedge an a 57.5* Wedge at the bottom end of the bag tho. I’m a little more of a feel player there and like to hit different shots with only a few wedges due to limited practice time these days.

Modern bag:
Nike vr str8 fit tour set at 11
Ping rapture v2 4 wood
Nike vr_s 3 and 4 hybrids
Maltby mmb 5-pw
Carnahan 52/56/60 wedge
Rotating door of putters

Sunday/quick nine walker:
Callaway warbird deuce 2 wd
Callaway warbird 4 wd
Hogan apex pro 4-E
Ping eye 2 W and S
Ping cushin putter

Classic bag:
Palmer Chattanooga driver
Hogan Slotline 4 wd
Palmer Standard 85 3-pw
Same ping eye 2 sw
Wilson professional 600 putter

I go:

4 wood 16.5°

7 wood 21°

3 iron driving iron (mizuno fli hi) 21°

The 7 wood is about 10-15 yards longer than the 3 iron, even though both are 21°.

I'm considering getting just a traditional 3 iron, instead of the driving iron. Traditional will go lower, but will be more accurate. Also, I play in alot of wind, coastal Texas.

Hit em good.

Driver: Ping G25

4w & 7w: Ping G25

23° Hybrid: Ping G25

5i - pw: Mizuno MP64

54° & 58°: Cleveland RTX 4 raw

Putter: The Wilson 8802 (vintage model)

Ball:  Titleist Pro V1x
Bag: Original Jones Golf Bag (green)

I actually currently have this setup in my bag, not sure how long it will stay. 4wood 16.5*, 4h 21*, 3 iron I think 21*. 4 wood off the tee and long par 5s. 4h off the tee when I want to be really accurate, and out of the rough. 4h goes longer than 3 and 4 irons. 3 iron for low runners off the tee, don’t typically hit it off the turf.

Callaway Rogue SubZero 9* 

TEE CBX 119 4wd 16.5*

Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 3h 19*

Wilson Staff C300 Forged 4i

Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 5-GW

Scratch 56* DS

Toulon Atlanta

Had both 3 I and 3 Hy and 4 wd at one time. Went to longer flying irons and dropped the hybrid. 4 wd is very versatile. Tee and off the deck. I think I lose a bit off the tee over a 3wd but not much off fairway. 3 I now flies as far as my hybrid, so dropped it.

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

Knowing your swing speed or avg distances would help. If you have the speed to read a par 5 in two, I'd keep a 3 wood. May be redundant off the tee for some, but I cannot hit my driver off the deck for an eagle try :)

But if it were me and u were taking away my 3 and 5 wood, I'd go 4 wood then 3 iron, making sure the 3 iron is strong enough to fill 5 wood gap.

Wouldn't suit my game, but the other options seem to close together imo.

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

I carry a 4 wood (16.5*) and 3 iron (20*). Personally, I've never really been a hybrid guy, and I've always been a pretty solid long iron hitter. There's a bit of a distance gap between those two clubs where I used to carry a 2 iron, but I ditched that for an extra wedge. I'd much rather have a big gap to cover from a longer distance than a shorter one. One big thing I've found since making that change is that shots I need to hit from that lost 2 iron yardage don't come up nearly as much as I thought they did. Most of the time the 2 iron was off the tee on short/tight par 4s, so the 3 iron has taken over that role just fine.

Right now, I carry Calla FWs set at 16* weighted for high launch (4W) and 20* (7W) / a 4H set at 22* / and a 22* 4i from my new CB Pro irons. (I only carry three wedges.)

3H 19* is a lurker, replacing the 7W in winterish months when the winds are high and the rough thin.

The new 4i has shaken things up a bit. It is super as a driving iron - especially on short par 4 holes from hell - and every other time I use it off the fairway I hit a solid shot.

Also, the 4H is a bit much on some par 3 holes where long is 20 feet down the back slope; the 4i saves the day - carries enough but not too much.

(The overlap is in the 7W and 3H. Pretty much same distance, but 7W launches higher and is superb out of medium rough. 3H more stable on windy days).

Notes:

• My backup XRails are non-adjustable 4W and 7W. Used them well for several seasons, but the Alphas give me a reliable +15 yards in distance. I've played 4W + 7W setup since 2012 - 4W just more reliable.
  • The 3H and 4H both have minimum loft settings for their heads. This means a slightly open face, and from a square stance I get a gentle fade. This comes in handy, as my normal shot is a draw.
  • No trouble with FW bumping into my driver on distance. The XR16 Pro is my best long club - only use non-driver if danger of hitting through landing area on short hole.
  • Someone suggested I stay with 4W + 7W, and get the 4i reshafted either for graphite, or a softstepped metal shaft (help with launch off fairway).

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I do.

M3 3HL set at 16° - 250-260 tee (230 fw rarely)

Titleist 818 19° set at 18.25° - 220-230 tee, 210 fw

UDI 3 20° - 200-220 tee (conditions depending), 200 fw.

The distance gaps work for me. Also, my course has a lot of elevation changes, set tee shot distances before trouble, usually soft conditions so I need the extra height from the 3HL for those.

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

Bag setup changes depending on courses quite a bit for me. I have had the SZ 3W lofted up to 4W, but now just change to an Accra shaft that kicks more. Then the versatile 19* G400 hybrid that replaced my trusty Adams 9031. Then it gets tricky because I have the U65 2i, Nike VR 3i MB or a JPX919 4i that are low, medium and high trajectories with my normal swing. I don't like manipulating trajectory under pressure, so that's kinda my thing. I suggest getting data on GC or Trackman to figure out your game with certainty

TSR4 9*(A2), Diamana PD 60TX 45.5 (testing) Smoke 💎💎💎9*

ST-G Ti 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X, 43"

Apex UW 19* (bent to 20*, 1* flat), AV Raw White 85X, 41"

X-Forged UT 2i (18*) CK PW 90TX

Callaway TCB 4-PW, Accra Tour 110i

T24 54.08D, Callaway Jaws Raw 60.08C, Modus 125 Wedge

Toulon San Diego 34"  Mizuno RB X or Callaway Tour X

I play the following:

Driver

4 wood Callaway Rogue @16.5

2 hybrid old school Nike CPR @18.5

3 hybrid old school Cobra baffler @20

The 4 wood is good for distances up to 240

The 2 hybrid is good for 225-230

The 3 hybrid is good for 200 to 210

I am getting fitted this spring up in Rhode Island, and I'm anxious to see what the results show. As mentioned, my two and 3 hybrids are old as hell and I'll be very curious if I have outgrown these clubs, yet I'm nervous to get rid of them because they're very predictable.

I use the following set-up:

Driver 10.5* playing at 44.25"

4 Wood 16* playing at 42" - just short of 240 carry, bit longer off the tee, slightly shorter from fairway. Extra loft lets me hit it better than most 3 woods I've hit.

2 Hybrid 18* playing at 40" - right around 220 carry and with the Oban white hybrid I have in it I use it as much as a "driving-iron-esque" club from the tee as I do from the fairway. From the tee, it can occasionally run up to where I hit the 4 wood with a lower-flighted draw that hits the ground like a pissed-off squirrel; or hit a high, banana cut with much more predictable roll-out.

3.5 Iron playing at 39" - Technically a 24* four iron, but shafted up with a KBS Proto Hybrid 95x shaft. Extra height and carry helps with holding more greens, confidently use it as a 210 carry sort of club.

As others have said, it will depend on what you want each club to do, but playing with length a bit on each club can help with properly gapping each.

4 Wood 16* playing at 42" - just short of 240 carry, bit longer off the tee, slightly shorter from fairway. Extra loft lets me hit it better than most 3 woods I've hit.

2 Hybrid 18* playing at 40" - right around 220 carry and with the Oban white hybrid I have in it I use it as much as a "driving-iron-esque" club from the tee as I do from the fairway. From the tee, it can occasionally run up to where I hit the 4 wood with a lower-flighted draw that hits the ground like a pissed-off squirrel; or hit a high, banana cut with much more predictable roll-out.

3.5 Iron playing at 39" - Technically a 24* four iron, but shafted up with a KBS Proto Hybrid 95x shaft. Extra height and carry helps with holding more greens, confidently use it as a 210 carry sort of club.

As others have said, it will depend on what you want each club to do, but playing with length a bit on each club can help with properly gapping each.

What brand is the 3.5 iron you are using?

I like the idea which is why I'm asking

Do whatever gets your gappng right. I recently did a fitting to get my numbers dialed in, and it has already paid dividends.

4 wood: 245-250 off the deck

3 hybrid: 230-235

4 hybrid: 220

5 iron: 200

It works well for me at our course. I would rather have more wedge options than overlap in the longer clubs.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 degree with Hzrdus Smoke 70 stiff
Callaway Epic Flash 5 wood (-1) with AD-TP 7S
Callaway Epic 3 and 4 hybrid with Graphite Design AD-DI 85S
Callaway X-Forged with Nippon Modus 105X 
Edel 51, 56, 60 wedges with KBS 610 stiff shafts
Scotty Cameron NP2
Ball: Titleist ProV1x

It’s an Edel CB head. I have the C-tapers in my other irons and going to the KBS Hybrid shaft in that “four” juiced it just enough to fit properly in the gap at the top-end of my bag. Next iron is a 5 which is what I’d pull for a 195 yard shot and you saw how the hybrid I play gaps above.

I know it is off track, but i notuced the last two years the 4wood almost never came out the bag i remember i set up a eagle on a par 5, but that was one hole, in two season. So i decided this year i will drop the 4 wood to get a 5 wood. So my set up is driver, 5 wood 18*, and then a 22* hybrid and a 5 iron at 25*.

I have a bit of a gap between the 5 wood and the 4 hybrid of 15 yards but i dont see the point to add something. Maybe a 7 wood? But i do think the 5 and the 7 would be too close in distance...

With that set up, i only carry 12 clubs.

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

[u]project x L.Z 5.5[/u]:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

It’s an Edel CB head. I have the C-tapers in my other irons and going to the KBS Hybrid shaft in that “four” juiced it just enough to fit properly in the gap at the top-end of my bag. Next iron is a 5 which is what I’d pull for a 195 yard shot and you saw how the hybrid I play gaps above.

Very nice

I’m crowded at the top...

Driver- 9.5 44.5”

3W - adjusted -1 to 14 degrees

5W - 18 degrees

3hy - 20 degrees

4hy - 23 degrees.

I could easily lose the 5 wood and adjust the 3wood to 16 degrees as a 4-wood but I’ve found that I just like the flexibility and options at the top now that I’ve gone back to a 47 PW that allows me to go 52/58 with wedges rather than 50/54/58 which I did when I had a 45 PW

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

I played a 4wd (16 deg), 7wd (21 deg), 4H (22 deg) that are all the Cally Steelhead XR's for different reasons and distances, then 5 iron on down.

I still have this setup but towards the end of the season here, I switched to a 3wd and 5wd, then 4H to try out (not Steelhead XR's). I have to say the Steelhead XR FW's and Hybrids are so easy to hit that I will probably switch back in the Spring!

• 1 month later...

4 wood, 19 degree hybrid, 22 deg 4 iron

PING G400 Max 10.5 Tour 65 s
PING G400 SFT 16 3 Wood Tour 75 s
PING G400 19 3 Hybrid Tour 85 s
PING I210 4-P KBS Tour C-Taper Lite s
PING Glide 2.0 50(ss) 54(es) 60(es) AWT Wedge
PING Vault 2.0 B60