High School Golf Team Invitationals

heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
If anyone knows of one please let me know.

I know of the Antigua in Arizona, but the rounds are 6+ hours long. No thank you.

Honda High School Invitational at PGA National is really good.

Looking for 36+ hole tournaments out of state.

Was searching online and didn't find much. Did run across this https://www.highschoolgolf.org/2019-high-school-golf-national-invitational/ which makes absolutely no sense for the Invitational requirements. A team that finishes first in a high school state tournament could be absolutely pitiful if it graduates a couple of guys. To boot, I would take the 10th place team in California, Texas, or Florida over some of the states high school state champions. Criteria just makes zero sense to me.

Comments

• mikpgamikpga www.mikedeitersgolf.com Members Posts: 7,393 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    So you are going to determine where you play based on pace of play or who's in the field?
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Considering the tournament is in June, why would a high school not take all of they state champion team?
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    mikpga wrote:

So you are going to determine where you play based on pace of play or who's in the field?

We have played there and the pace of play is so bad it doesn't matter who is in the field. Last time we played there was an 8 hour round one of the days.
  • theboypinoytheboypinoy Members Posts: 2,080 ✭✭
    leezer99 wrote:

mikpga wrote:

We have played there and the pace of play is so bad it doesn't matter who is in the field. Last time we played there was an 8 hour round one of the days.

What causes 6 hour + rounds? Course too difficult, players not that good?

Don't forget notoriously slow and deliberate players that think they're on Tour
    edited Dec 27, 2018 #6
    High school tournaments in general are slow.
    leezer99 wrote:

mikpga wrote:

What causes 6 hour + rounds? Course too difficult, players not that good?

Boy's that think they are on tour.

Funny but true... Women have the stereotype of being slower than men when it comes to golf. From years of observation it is usually the men that are slow. Being around junior golf as long as I have, in general the guys are much slower than the girls.
    It's just not a mindset of juniors thinking they're better, you have to realize there are those who aren't that good yet either, and they are nervous, and they don't score well, and they struggle through the round...
    mikpga wrote:

It's just not a mindset of juniors thinking they're better, you have to realize there are those who aren't that good yet either, and they are nervous, and they don't score well, and they struggle through the round...

Yeah, but there isn't a reason for that at a National Level tournament like the Antigua.

mikpga wrote:

Yeah, but there isn't a reason for that at a National Level tournament like the Antigua.

That I would not know, but what do the worse scores typically look like?
  • theboypinoytheboypinoy Members Posts: 2,080 ✭✭
    edited Dec 28, 2018 #11
    mikpga wrote:

mikpga wrote:

That I would not know, but what do the worse scores typically look like?

Looking at the past couple of years, looks like there are a few triple-digit scorers

2018, bottom 6
    • 101, 80
    • 96, 91
    • 103, 103
    • 102, 104
    • 117, 94
    • 107, 106

2017, bottom 4
    • 99, 97
    • 113, 85
    • 94, 112
    • 111, 101
  • hattrick23hattrick23 hattrick23 Members Posts: 20 ✭✭

If anyone knows of one please let me know.

I know of the Antigua in Arizona, but the rounds are 6+ hours long. No thank you.

Honda High School Invitational at PGA National is really good.

Looking for 36+ hole tournaments out of state.

Was searching online and didn't find much. Did run across this https://www.highscho...l-invitational/ which makes absolutely no sense for the Invitational requirements. A team that finishes first in a high school state tournament could be absolutely pitiful if it graduates a couple of guys. To boot, I would take the 10th place team in California, Texas, or Florida over some of the states high school state champions. Criteria just makes zero sense to me.

There is the Champions Invitational in Palm Desert CA during the beginning of April. It has a lot of California schools but also teams from Nevada and Texas.
  • admorkadmork Orlando, FlMembers Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

They had the High School Golf National Invitational in Orlando last June.
    https://www.highschoolgolf.org

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file