Garmin Approach G8

I was thinking about purchasing the Garmin Approach G8 handheld Gps. Does anyone know if Garmin is going to update this handheld model soon? If not would recommend any others? I've looked at some of the handheld GPS like SkyCaddie but the yearly fee is kinda pushing me away, but not a deal breaker.

Comments

• DonRSDDonRSD Daddy Warbucks South FloridaMembers Posts: 168 ✭✭
    Don’t worry about the update, the G8 is a very useful tool. I went from an iPhone app (hate them because I hate fidgeting with my phone after every hole) to an S60 (hated looking down at my wrist) to a G8 which I love.

I bought a suction cup for the front window so the G8 sticks on there and doesn’t move. It was like $20 on eBay.
    Driver: Titleist TS2
    3 Wood: Titleist TS2
    Hybrids: Titleist 818 H1
    Irons: TaylorMade P790
    Wedges: Vokey
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 (2018)
  • ac49801ac49801 Members Posts: 161 ✭✭
    How is the resolution on this gps? Is the size of it easy to move locations on it (ex. moving the pin on the green). I've got a Golf Buddy Platinum, which I like, but sometimes it is hard to see and navigate (kind of small).
  • zgarr5580zgarr5580 Members Posts: 3
    DonRSD wrote:

Don’t worry about the update, the G8 is a very useful tool. I went from an iPhone app (hate them because I hate fidgeting with my phone after every hole) to an S60 (hated looking down at my wrist) to a G8 which I love.

I bought a suction cup for the front window so the G8 sticks on there and doesn’t move. It was like $20 on eBay.
    Awesome, thanks for the feedback. I have not purchased one yet but going to. I understand your feelings on using the cellphone!
  • DonRSDDonRSD Daddy Warbucks South FloridaMembers Posts: 168 ✭✭
    zgarr5580 wrote:

DonRSD wrote:

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. I have not purchased one yet but going to. I understand your feelings on using the cellphone!

I use the G8 every round and love it. Every single person that rides with me has also used / currently uses a cell phone GPS app. Each one of them has told me the Garmin is better because it more accurate, faster to get distance (its always adjusting) and saves time by not having to keep grabbing your cell phone and waiting for the yardage to adjust.

Ive even stopped using my cell phone to keep track of my score. I use the scorecard and upload everything on Grint when I get home.

HATE using my phone during round, just wastes time and distracts me & everyone else.
    Driver: Titleist TS2
    3 Wood: Titleist TS2
    Hybrids: Titleist 818 H1
    Irons: TaylorMade P790
    Wedges: Vokey
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 (2018)
  • CwingCwing Members Posts: 8,047 ✭✭
    I’ve been considering one as well. I lost my G6 back in Oct. I tried the s20 watch. I love the idea of a watch but I miss the features of the G6.
    TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
    PING G25 5-U (coming soon = G410)
    Cleveland RTX 54*
    TaylorMade Hi Toe 58*
    Seemore si5
    Garmin g6/Precision Pro Nx7 Pro slope
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/838786-cwings-witb-2013/