Medals, Trophies and Plaques

leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day...Members Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
What do you all do with the medals, trophies and plaques that your kids have earned over time? The boy is cleaning his room and we've got dozens and dozens of them stuffed in boxes, under the bed, hanging on door knobs, etc. Pics or descriptions of what you've done to manage the memories (aka clutter) would be appreciated. So far all we've done is put them in an old grocery bag to sort through later.

This has been kicked off from a room cleaning where we've already trashed a dozen hats and just about as many cinch sacks.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

Tagged:

Comments

• NolesNoles Members Posts: 1,434 ✭✭
    leezer99 wrote:

What do you all do with the medals, trophies and plaques that your kids have earned over time? The boy is cleaning his room and we've got dozens and dozens of them stuffed in boxes, under the bed, hanging on door knobs, etc. Pics or descriptions of what you've done to manage the memories (aka clutter) would be appreciated. So far all we've done is put them in an old grocery bag to sort through later.

This has been kicked off from a room cleaning where we've already trashed a dozen hats and just about as many cinch sacks.
    My god the hats! My son probably has 20 hats and wears the same 2 hats exclusively.
  • TigerMomTigerMom Members Posts: 214 ✭✭
    All medals, trophies, plaques, ribbons and certificates that are not for awarded for high achievement (for participation only) should not even be brought home to begin with

The rest can be neatly displayed on a shelf or even in a separate display case
  • TigerMomTigerMom Members Posts: 214 ✭✭
    leezer99 wrote:

TigerMom wrote:

All medals, trophies, plaques, ribbons and certificates that are not for awarded for high achievement (for participation only) should not even be brought home to begin with

The rest can be neatly displayed on a shelf or even in a separate display case

We at least bring home the participation awards but the kids get rid of those on their own most of the time.

What sort of display case are you using TM? A shelf won't cut it since his bookshelf is full of books.

We just use a bookshelf and once full, we remove the lesser awards as new ones arrive and just put the others in a box in attic

But here's an example of a medal/trophy display shelf that looks good for golf (which seems to be more medal heavy than many other sports):

https://www.amazon.com/Award-Medal-Display-Trophy-Shelf/dp/B00HBZJCX8
  • tiger1873tiger1873 Members Posts: 1,069 ✭✭
    edited Dec 31, 2018 #5
    Medals should not be that big of deal unless you live in a 1 bedroom apartment with your family. If you have a 100 medals and the kid is not 10 your playing way too many tournaments for sure.

Even if you get trophies you probably are not going to accumulate more then a dozen or so over the course of a few years. When we have too much you just put things in a box and keep it in the attic.

If you have a trophy problem it probably because you not playing hard enough tournaments. When you win a few times you should move on to higher tournament. The large major junior tournaments are hard to win . Even players who dominate are lucky to win only a few trophies a year.
  • BertGABertGA Members Posts: 292 ✭✭
    I personally hate the cinch sacs. I picture a big floating island of disposed cinch sacs floating in the Great Pacific Garbage Patch.

My daughter just received a woodcut medal hanger. Has her name on it, with like five hooks. Should take care of most of the medals. Get a couple if you have a high achiever. Grandma found it online, so shouldn’t be too hard to locate one.
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,115 ✭✭
    I built shelves for them in our excercise room. Need to build more shelves. Some of them are in the bottom of the Indian River when we crossed bridges and he wasn’t happy with his place.
  • hybrid25hybrid25 michiganMembers Posts: 1,559 ✭✭
    I had a couple of boxes of trophies downstairs from various Sports throughout the years that are just collecting dust. They are for legitimate reasons, not just participation. Nonetheless, there are stored in boxes taking up space that I want to get rid of. There are those that recycle trophies for the less fortunate organizations that will get much better use out of them then probably the original owners.