Best round of 2018 today

Spooky67Spooky67 Members Posts: 1,345 ✭✭
I had a goal this year to break 90. I took a few lessons this summer and told the instructor what I was trying to do. At the time an average round for me was 105, give or take a few strokes. Even after my lessons my score didn’t change too much. Ball striking was better but I still managed to lose strokes here and there. My home course is pretty stout IMO 72.5/141. Today I shot a 94 with an 8 on the card, the course was soaking wet from weeks of rain here and very windy conditions.

Very nice to get the best round of the year on the last day of the year. Gives me hope for continued progress in 2019. A 94 isn’t my goal and it isn’t a very good score but it’s the best round I’ve shot in a long time so I’m feeling like I’m trending in the right direction.

Comments

• 0351Duffer0351Duffer Members Posts: 126 ✭✭
    Congratulations! More rounds solid rounds will come in 2019.

My goal for 2018 was to break 90 as well. I Shot a 92 on Jan 2nd. and then back in July I carded an 89. After that, I shot a dozen or so 9 hole -45 rounds, and 86, 87 (twice), 88 and an 89 just this past week on a course I'd never played. So once you break through once, IMO...it's not as hard mentally to do it again.

Best Wishes For 2019!
  • SBH9458SBH9458 Go Army! Beat Navy! Members Posts: 929 ✭✭
    Congrats! 94 actually is a fine score, OP...here is to hoping for you to break through 90 in 2019!!!
  • 0351Duffer0351Duffer Members Posts: 126 ✭✭
    BTW... the Wife and I played 9 holes today in 18-20 mph winds... I somehow shot a 45 with three 3-putts. The ball got blown from the green out onto the fringe several times, but we persisted for our first round of 2019.

Overall and enjoyable day!
  • SBH9458SBH9458 Go Army! Beat Navy! Members Posts: 929 ✭✭
    My course wasn’t open or I’d have been out there!
  • fairways4lifefairways4life Members Posts: 1,553 ✭✭
    Lol my best round of 2018 came on my very first round of the year. Shot a 75 in early January, my first time out for the year. Ended up being my best round of the year and I only broke 80 maybe 5 more times the rest of the year. Handicap also steadily climbed throughout the year.

Here's hoping 2019 shows a different trajectory!
  • third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    Congrats. My course is hard and when I became a member I was consistently 15 strokes over my normal average at public resort courses.

My last round of 2018 was my best as well!
    Long Live Nike
  • jvincentjvincent Members Posts: 617 ✭✭

My last round of 2018 was my best as well!

Ditto. I drove it like a spastic **** for most of the year and finally got it sorted out a month or so before the season ended. I broke 80 exactly once last year on my last round.

Cobra F9 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra LTD set at 16* : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra 3U set at 19.5* : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Wishon 565MC 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• Chogme6Chogme6 Members Posts: 7
    edited Jan 4, 2019 4:55pm #9
    Spooky67 wrote:

I had a goal this year to break 90. I took a few lessons this summer and told the instructor what I was trying to do. At the time an average round for me was 105, give or take a few strokes. Even after my lessons my score didn’t change too much. Ball striking was better but I still managed to lose strokes here and there. My home course is pretty stout IMO 72.5/141. Today I shot a 94 with an 8 on the card, the course was soaking wet from weeks of rain here and very windy conditions.

Very nice to get the best round of the year on the last day of the year. Gives me hope for continued progress in 2019. A 94 isn’t my goal and it isn’t a very good score but it’s the best round I’ve shot in a long time so I’m feeling like I’m trending in the right direction.

My first year i shot in the 100s. Next year I broke 100. It took me 3 years to consistently shoot under 100 and break 90. Now my 5th year I am shooting consistently under 90. I owe all of this to my teacher. The best way to get good is to lift your spirits and don’t treat every round like a tournament round, treat it like a practice round. We are not professionals so go out there and have fun, and throw down another ball when you chunk it or what not. Once you get comfortable then go back to playing regulation rules but it’s meant to be enjoyed. And just keep with it, with proper teaching you’ll get there just stay positive!
  • platgofplatgof platgof ClubWRX Posts: 1,509 ClubWRX
    Shot an 82 at Cole Park Golf Course today. I really struggled on some holes, 3 doubles, but also made two birdies. It was a friendly tournament and I had a blast. This was my lowest score there, with an 84 previously.
    GBB Fusion HT 13.5
    F9 5-6 WD
    F9 7-8 WD
    OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    CF16 5-PW
    Glide AW, SW, LW
    TM Spider Pro Red C/S
    B330RX