Pinehurst Resort/ Area

JiuJitsuandGolf

Alright guys couldn’t find anything specific to the question, but have some family in the area which I would travel to from NJ. If you could rank the Pinehurst courses 1 thru 12 with 1 being the best let me hear it. I’m assuming #2 is the top but I would love to hear everyone’s thoughts. I would be playing as a single. Thanks in advance.

Justin

I get there regularly, although I don't stay at the Pinehurst Resort. Of the Pinehurst courses, I'd say 2, 4, and 8 are indeed the best, even though I haven't played the newly-renovated #4. Then 7 and 9, then 6, with 1, 3, and 5 being the "worst". And "worst" means consistently good condition, somewhat shorter, and not quite the level of design.

Also in the area, Dormie Club, Pine Needles, and Mid Pines are outstanding. Tobacco Road is great fun, but its maybe a 40 minute drive. I play at Talamore and MidSouth, and they're both good solid courses.

I get there regularly, although I don't stay at the Pinehurst Resort. Of the Pinehurst courses, I'd say 2, 4, and 8 are indeed the best, even though I haven't played the newly-renovated #4. Then 7 and 9, then 6, with 1, 3, and 5 being the "worst". And "worst" means consistently good condition, somewhat shorter, and not quite the level of design.

Also in the area, Dormie Club, Pine Needles, and Mid Pines are outstanding. Tobacco Road is great fun, but its maybe a 40 minute drive. I play at Talamore and MidSouth, and they're both good solid courses.

I'll throw in legacy and forest creek as well.

• Like 1

Have not played #4 yet...

Current standings:

Dormie

Mid Pines

Tobacco Road

Pine Needles

Mid South

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 8.0 HZRDUS 6.5
Ping G425 LST 14.5 Ping Tour 75X
Cobra King Tec 19.0 Tour AD DI-105 X
Miura AS-1 4-P Dynamic Golf Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T20 50,55,60 Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue
Scotty Cameron X5

Not to hijack this thread, but are there any secrets/tricks to getting on #2/#4 without booking through pinehurst? We booked through Tobacco Road, so can't get tee times until 24 hours in advance. If we do play they'd be afternoon rounds and the second of the day, but was hoping to get a little more secure in our bookings.

Thanks

Not to hijack this thread, but are there any secrets/tricks to getting on #2/#4 without booking through pinehurst? We booked through Tobacco Road, so can't get tee times until 24 hours in advance. If we do play they'd be afternoon rounds and the second of the day, but was hoping to get a little more secure in our bookings.

Thanks

A HUGE reason for staying at the Pinehurst Resort (and paying the somewhat inflated price to do so) is the ability to book #2 and #4 in advance. The Pinehurst folks aren't likely to do anything to diminish the "value" of their stay/play packages by allowing anyone to book those high-demand courses in advance while staying at the Motel 6 down the road. And I know you won't be at Motel 6, but from the Pinehurst standpoint, it might as well be. Having said all that, it wouldn't hurt to walk in the pro shop at Pinehurst as soon as you get to town and ask.

Thanks

I believe the pecking order for winter tee times goes:

1. Members

2. Guests

3. Non-guests

If you aren't staying on property, I believe you are looking at a 24-hour booking with only an afternoon time as you mentioned. If you want more security, the best bet is to book the one-night / one-round package (the "bed and breakfast golf" package) which will be around $400 for a night's stay plus the upcharge to play #2.

https://www.pinehurst.com/offers/package/bed-and-breakfast-golf/

What kind of rate were you quoted for as a non-guest walk-on?

Thanks

When I went this past April, my buddy and I played #2 and #8 while staying offsite. I called up 6 days ahead of time and the gentleman gladly booked our tee time for #2 and didn't even require a deposit. So the 24 hour rule isn't necessarily set in stone, but you probably won't be booking a month out either. The rate was $385 plus caddie, so it was $500 total to play the course after caddie fee and tip.

Thanks

When I went this past April, my buddy and I played #2 and #8 while staying offsite. I called up 6 days ahead of time and the gentleman gladly booked our tee time for #2 and didn't even require a deposit. So the 24 hour rule isn't necessarily set in stone, but you probably won't be booking a month out either. The rate was $385 plus caddie, so it was $500 total to play the course after caddie fee and tip.

The booking rules are different in April then they are for January/February. April is in the peak season, so non-guests can book further out. In the winter time they are more restrictive about it because that's the time of year when they give members priority. (Members sort of take a back seat to guests during peak seasons).

**Disclaimer: I am only about 95% sure of this so an actual Pinehurst member may be able to correct or verify this**

Thanks

The booking rules are different in April then they are for January/February. April is in the peak season, so non-guests can book further out. In the winter time they are more restrictive about it because that's the time of year when they give members priority. (Members sort of take a back seat to guests during peak seasons).

**Disclaimer: I am only about 95% sure of this so an actual Pinehurst member may be able to correct or verify this**

Yeah I don't know. They still advertise the 24 hour thing and told me as much when I had called a few months ahead of time. My only point was just to call them the closer it gets to golfing fun time and they'll probably work with him. But also, the poster didn't say anything about the time frame he's going.

I'll be there in the last 4 day weekend in February with a group of wrx'ers. We're staying on site at PH. We are booked for #2, #4, #8, #9 and will add in Tobacco Road and Mid Pines. I can't get enough of Pinehurst in my life. Also going back in April the week of the Masters with a couple of friends - one whose dad is a member, so we'll stay with him.

Thanks

Yeah I don't know. They still advertise the 24 hour thing and told me as much when I had called a few months ahead of time. My only point was just to call them the closer it gets to golfing fun time and they'll probably work with him. But also, the poster didn't say anything about the time frame he's going.

I'll be there in the last 4 day weekend in February with a group of wrx'ers. We're staying on site at PH. We are booked for #2, #4, #8, #9 and will add in Tobacco Road and Mid Pines. I can't get enough of Pinehurst in my life. Also going back in April the week of the Masters with a couple of friends - one whose dad is a member, so we'll stay with him.

That is one hell of a lineup. Well done. The early reviews of the "new" #4 are very positive. I also hear the cradle is a lot of fun. Enjoy!

This is pretty solid. I'm not a fan of Tobacco Road and Talamore but otherwise, I agree completely with Dave.

This is pretty solid. I'm not a fan of Tobacco Road and Talamore but otherwise, I agree completely with Dave.

I think Tobacco Road is a course that everyone should play at least once. Some people will love it and go back frequently, others will just hate it. Once you get past the visual intimidation, its not crazy difficult, but there are a few places that are pretty demanding. Talamore isn't in that same class, its a good solid Rees Jones layout that was renovated/redesigned just a few years ago. I like the redesign, something like 60 bunkers were removed, a few very deep sod-faced bunkers were installed, drainage was significantly improved on a number of fairways, and new Champion Bermuda greens installed. Its not near the best course in the area, but it might be worth revisiting if you haven't played it recently.

I think Tobacco Road is a course that everyone should play at least once. Some people will love it and go back frequently, others will just hate it. Once you get past the visual intimidation, its not crazy difficult, but there are a few places that are pretty demanding. Talamore isn't in that same class, its a good solid Rees Jones layout that was renovated/redesigned just a few years ago. I like the redesign, something like 60 bunkers were removed, a few very deep sod-faced bunkers were installed, drainage was significantly improved on a number of fairways, and new Champion Bermuda greens installed. Its not near the best course in the area, but it might be worth revisiting if you haven't played it recently.

I played Talamore last spring for the first time since the redesign. It's a solid golf course just not one I seek to play when going to that area. I played Tobacco Road a few years ago as an invited guest of someone professionally. It was his first experience with Tobacco Road and he described it as "Mickey Mouse golf straight from central casting of Who Framed Roger Rabbit!"

I can't say I disagree with him!

I played Talamore last spring for the first time since the redesign. It's a solid golf course just not one I seek to play when going to that area. I played Tobacco Road a few years ago as an invited guest of someone professionally. It was his first experience with Tobacco Road and he described it as "Mickey Mouse golf straight from central casting of Who Framed Roger Rabbit!"

We agree on Talamore, solid but not outstanding. On Tobacco Road we disagree, but I'd say that course invites disagreements.

We agree on Talamore, solid but not outstanding. On Tobacco Road we disagree, but I'd say that course invites disagreements.

TR definitely invites disagreement. I've never met anyone that has played it who was indifferent about it. They either loved it or hated it. Absolutely nothing in-between.

Played #2 last May and it is indeed terrific. I was less than impressed with #8. Maybe it was everybody talking it up so much, but if I never played #8 again, I wouldn't be disappointed. I can think of a number of courses in the area that I'd rather play before #8. If you're going, absolutely spend a day playing The Cradle. It's well worth the $50 rate.

Titleist TSi3 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Red 6S
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S
TaylorMade UDI 2 iron - Tour Only Project X HZRDUS 105g 6.5
TaylorMade RSI 3 iron - KBS C Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 4 iron - KBS C Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW - KBS C Taper X
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 54* SB - KBS C Taper S
TaylorMade Milled Grind Hi-Toe 58* - KBS C Taper S
Custom Cameron & Crown Mallet 1 or Futura 5W w/ custom flow neck
TaylorMade TP5x 

Been to the Pinehurst/Southern Pines area the last two Augusts and have fallen in love with the place. Played Southern Pines, CC of Whispering Pines, and Mid Pines the first trip. And last August did No. 9 twice, Tobacco Road, Dormie Club, and Pine Needles. Now I’ll caveat that this past summer was tough for almost all courses up and down the East Coast, but caught some unfortunate conditions at both Pine Needles and Dormie Club. However TR was an absolute delight, as was No. 9 and both were in great shape.

What I loved about Pinehurst Country Club is that everyone treats you like you’re a member, even if you’re not staying at the Resort. They were cool with me using the range at the main clubhouse even though I was playing at No. 9, my lady rented a Scotty Cameron to putt on Thistle Dhu with me (I’m a southpaw) and had a blast, and I did two loops on The Cradle (9-hole short course) after one of my rounds at No. 9 (if you play with a Pinehurst member it’s only $35 all day instead of $50) which was super fun as well. Also the Deuce, the bar inside the Pinehurst Clubhouse has great food too. But if you’re going to eat, Southern Pines has a bunch of great restaurants.

Headed back down MLK weekend with buddies to stay at the resort and play 2, 4 and 8 so will report back.

But in terms of non-resort courses in the area, I’d absolutely recommend Tobacco Road and Mid Pines. Pine Needles wasn’t as memorable as Mid Pines and has a lot of uninteresting holes. Dormie was not as great as it’s been hyped up to be. Southern Pines is a great and cheap Donald Ross but I’ve heard that conditions can be iffy do to management issues. Want to try Mid South and Talamore in the future.

Also, No. 9 is sneaky fun and is a Jack Nicklaus signature course (lots of dogleg rights). Long story short, even if you don’t play the resort courses, swing by the country club and putt on Thistle Dhu or play The Cradle or grab food at The Deuce, it’s worth it. And if you need restaurant rec’s I’ve got tons but #1 is Full Moon Oyster Bar.

STEALTH 2 Tour AD DI 6X //  SIM Oban Devotion 65-04 //  699 v2 MMT105s //  JB Full Groove MMT105w //  TOULON ATLANTA //  Vice Pro+

Been to the Pinehurst/Southern Pines area the last two Augusts and have fallen in love with the place. Played Southern Pines, CC of Whispering Pines, and Mid Pines the first trip. And last August did No. 9 twice, Tobacco Road, Dormie Club, and Pine Needles. Now I'll caveat that this past summer was tough for almost all courses up and down the East Coast, but caught some unfortunate conditions at both Pine Needles and Dormie Club. However TR was an absolute delight, as was No. 9 and both were in great shape.

What I loved about Pinehurst Country Club is that everyone treats you like you're a member, even if you're not staying at the Resort. They were cool with me using the range at the main clubhouse even though I was playing at No. 9, my lady rented a Scotty Cameron to putt on Thistle Dhu with me (I'm a southpaw) and had a blast, and I did two loops on The Cradle (9-hole short course) after one of my rounds at No. 9 (if you play with a Pinehurst member it's only $35 all day instead of $50) which was super fun as well. Also the Deuce, the bar inside the Pinehurst Clubhouse has great food too. But if you're going to eat, Southern Pines has a bunch of great restaurants.

Headed back down MLK weekend with buddies to stay at the resort and play 2, 4 and 8 so will report back.

But in terms of non-resort courses in the area, I'd absolutely recommend Tobacco Road and Mid Pines. Pine Needles wasn't as memorable as Mid Pines and has a lot of uninteresting holes. Dormie was not as great as it's been hyped up to be. Southern Pines is a great and cheap Donald Ross but I've heard that conditions can be iffy do to management issues. Want to try Mid South and Talamore in the future.

Also, No. 9 is sneaky fun and is a Jack Nicklaus signature course (lots of dogleg rights). Long story short, even if you don't play the resort courses, swing by the country club and putt on Thistle Dhu or play The Cradle or grab food at The Deuce, it's worth it. And if you need restaurant rec's I've got tons but #1 is Full Moon Oyster Bar.

Good to hear about #9. My wife and I are playing there on the 19th and southern pines on the 18. Fingers crossed about the weather.

Been to the Pinehurst/Southern Pines area the last two Augusts and have fallen in love with the place. Played Southern Pines, CC of Whispering Pines, and Mid Pines the first trip. And last August did No. 9 twice, Tobacco Road, Dormie Club, and Pine Needles. Now I'll caveat that this past summer was tough for almost all courses up and down the East Coast, but caught some unfortunate conditions at both Pine Needles and Dormie Club. However TR was an absolute delight, as was No. 9 and both were in great shape.

What I loved about Pinehurst Country Club is that everyone treats you like you're a member, even if you're not staying at the Resort. They were cool with me using the range at the main clubhouse even though I was playing at No. 9, my lady rented a Scotty Cameron to putt on Thistle Dhu with me (I'm a southpaw) and had a blast, and I did two loops on The Cradle (9-hole short course) after one of my rounds at No. 9 (if you play with a Pinehurst member it's only $35 all day instead of $50) which was super fun as well. Also the Deuce, the bar inside the Pinehurst Clubhouse has great food too. But if you're going to eat, Southern Pines has a bunch of great restaurants.

But in terms of non-resort courses in the area, I'd absolutely recommend Tobacco Road and Mid Pines. Pine Needles wasn't as memorable as Mid Pines and has a lot of uninteresting holes. Dormie was not as great as it's been hyped up to be. Southern Pines is a great and cheap Donald Ross but I've heard that conditions can be iffy do to management issues. Want to try Mid South and Talamore in the future.

Also, No. 9 is sneaky fun and is a Jack Nicklaus signature course (lots of dogleg rights). Long story short, even if you don't play the resort courses, swing by the country club and putt on Thistle Dhu or play The Cradle or grab food at The Deuce, it's worth it. And if you need restaurant rec's I've got tons but #1 is Full Moon Oyster Bar.

+1

The cool thing about the resort is that anybody can just walk right onto the property and have a beer on the patio while watching the action on the 18th green of #2 (where Payne made his famous putt) or watch people tee off on the first hole. Have your picture taken with his statue and walk down the hallways of the clubhouse and check out all the memorabilia. It really is welcoming to all; you don't need to pay a small fortune to play #2 to feel like you belong there. I always tell anyone who is taking a trip to the area but not playing any of the resort courses to at least go visit the resort and have lunch or a drink there and check it all out. Tourists drop in all the time (fun fact = it's a national historic landmark) to take pictures and everything and the staff welcomes it.

+1

The cool thing about the resort is that anybody can just walk right onto the property and have a beer on the patio while watching the action on the 18th green of #2 (where Payne made his famous putt) or watch people tee off on the first hole. Have your picture taken with his statue and walk down the hallways of the clubhouse and check out all the memorabilia. It really is welcoming to all; you don't need to pay a small fortune to play #2 to feel like you belong there. I always tell anyone who is taking a trip to the area but not playing any of the resort courses to at least go visit the resort and have lunch or a drink there and check it all out. Tourists drop in all the time (fun fact = it's a national historic landmark) to take pictures and everything and the staff welcomes it.

When I first moved to NC and my parents came to visit, we went down to Pinehurst for the day just to check out the village. We had lunch at the Holly Inn, we walked the village and stopped in to all the little shops. We went to the resort and walked the halls and took pictures of all the memorabilia and trophies. We walked in to the pro shop and bought souvenirs. We walked around the front of the clubhouse and my dad and I took our picture with the Payne statue. At every turn, the staff was welcoming and accommodating. We did this the first two years my parents came to visit. It wasn't until just this past year, when The Cradle was open, that my dad and I actually played golf there.

My wife doesn't even golf and she loved all the little boutiques and wine shops in the village. Same for my Mom and sister. There's a lot to do even if you're not there to play.

Titleist TSi3 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Red 6S
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S
TaylorMade UDI 2 iron - Tour Only Project X HZRDUS 105g 6.5
TaylorMade RSI 3 iron - KBS C Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 4 iron - KBS C Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW - KBS C Taper X
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 54* SB - KBS C Taper S
TaylorMade Milled Grind Hi-Toe 58* - KBS C Taper S
Custom Cameron & Crown Mallet 1 or Futura 5W w/ custom flow neck
TaylorMade TP5x 

+1

When I first moved to NC and my parents came to visit, we went down to Pinehurst for the day just to check out the village. We had lunch at the Holly Inn, we walked the village and stopped in to all the little shops. We went to the resort and walked the halls and took pictures of all the memorabilia and trophies. We walked in to the pro shop and bought souvenirs. We walked around the front of the clubhouse and my dad and I took our picture with the Payne statue. At every turn, the staff was welcoming and accommodating. We did this the first two years my parents came to visit. It wasn't until just this past year, when The Cradle was open, that my dad and I actually played golf there.

My wife doesn't even golf and she loved all the little boutiques and wine shops in the village. Same for my Mom and sister. There's a lot to do even if you're not there to play.

I agree with every bit of this last post, Pinehurst Village is a special place. Another nice wander is the downtown part of Southern Pines. Again, lots of nice shops, pubs, and great restaurants. Its not quite as golf-centric as Pinehurst, but it has more history as a real town, where Pinehurst, for all its charm, was designed and built as a resort destination right form the start. Oh, and if you're interested in the history of Pinehurst, its worth it to stop in the Tufts Archive at the Given Library. There's lots of great photos and info from the first days or Pinehurst, located right across from the Holly Inn.