Colorado WRX 2019

Comments

• stoneydukesstoneydukes ClubWRX Posts: 295 ClubWRX
    Walking my first 2019 at Indian Peaks tomorrow AM. Hoping the warm weather today cleared off the snow.
    Cobra F9 10.5 Avalanche HZRDUS Smoke 60S
    Cobra F7 3-4 15.5* Fujikura Pro 65S
    Mizuno MP18 MMC Fli Hi 3 Recoil 95 F4
    Mizuno MP18 MMC 4-PW NS Pro 1150GH S
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50, 54, 60
    EvnRoll ER2
  • thaarthaar Best 3-putter in town! Posts: 952 ✭✭

Golf Galaxy is hosting a late-night fitting event for Callaway's new Epic Flash line next Thursday from 8:30-10:30pm. I might be interested in going. Lots of bars nearby, too....

As much as I'd love to, I'd likely come home with a brand new driver....hence why I had a Rogue in my bag last year! And that was without alcohol, so i would be doomed lol.

Plus we have a party to go to already, which is probably a good thing!
    Huge thanks to Cobra and WRX!

Cobra F8+ 9.5* - Project X EvenFlow 65x
    Cobra F8 3/4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
    Cobra Utility 19.5* - Tensei Blue 80s
    Cobra 3/4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
    Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
    Cobra King Wedges 50/54/58 versatile - AMT S400
    Edel E-1
  • CDMCDM Members Posts: 1,682 ✭✭

Golf Galaxy is hosting a late-night fitting event for Callaway's new Epic Flash line next Thursday from 8:30-10:30pm. I might be interested in going. Lots of bars nearby, too....

I got that email too. I was hoping it was for irons too as I would like to see the new Apex Pros to compare to my current ones.

Probably will have to go over as it is right by the office image/rolleyes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />
  • 007iron007iron Members Posts: 111 ✭✭
    Got my first swings of 2019 yesterday on a FlightScope simulator- got to go through a combine type deal with my instructor and test driving accuracy, long, mid-range and short approaches. Then played a par-3 course. Was a fun session.

Leave for Naples in 2 weeks from Monday. 4 days of golf in ideally 75/80 degree weather as its snowy and cold again this weekend up here near Glenwood.
  • seven deweyseven dewey Posts: 522 ✭✭
    What’s up with courses charging so much when there is snow on greens/fairways? We ended up playing Family Sports cause it was only $13 to walk nine. I just can’t justify paying $40+ to play golf right now in these conditions. Even my beloved Links is only knocking off $2 when they have 1 and a half holes closed until March.
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] [/font]
  • 007iron007iron Members Posts: 111 ✭✭
    So ridiculous; in general the whole golf industry should use more demand based pricing but the lack of winter rates in Colorado is insane. They know we're degenerates...
  • QuesoQueso Posts: 194 ✭✭
    I think it depends on the course...most of the ones up North are on winter rates ($22 at Olde Course, $26 at Highland Meadows, boomerang is like $30)...all walking, of course, but walking in winter is better than the icy breeze of a cart ride anyway.
  • pseudoswedepseudoswede Members Posts: 1,319 ✭✭
    edited Jan 7, 2019 1:22pm #39
    I didn't realize how inexpensive it could possibly be for a Toptracer (formerly Protracer) range session.

https://www.toptracer.com/range/

The one in Arizona charges $12 for 50 balls (or an hour, whichever comes first)--if you get through all 50 before the hour, then pay whatever the current going rate is for range balls.

Hopefully someone in Colorado will invest in it (ideally Family Sports).
    "In the end, everything is fine; if it is not fine, it is not the end."

--Unknown

Ping G LS Tec 9° 65X
    Ping S56 3-PW (purple dot)
    Ping Glide 52°, 56°, 60° (purple dot)
    Ping Redwood Piper S 34"
    Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

• Up in Fort Collins thinking to get out for 9 sometime tomorrow, maybe a quick lunch round.

Where are you playing? I can't play due to a healing left thumb (kitchen knife accident a couple of weeks ago). Looks like a nice day to play!!!

Heading to Collindale to play...I actually wanted an "easier" round at Mountain Vista but they didn't have any tee times I could make it to.

Been pushing drives out to the right so it may be a painful time in the trees at Collindale.

Well, isn't that the truth about Collindale. I suppose aiming left might help but don't hit it straight or the left trees will get you. Collindale is my home course. Play well!!!

Scored about my average for Collindale when I got out.

Was able to stay out of the trees for the most part, but got really lucky on #3, pushed the drive to the right and was trying to hit a punch 5 iron to the green. It went higher than intended, hit a tree branch that popped it up in the air and then it proceeded to end up pin high on the green setting me up for a 3 putt bogey image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • GmcourtneyGmcourtney Posts: 200 ✭✭
    007iron wrote:

So ridiculous; in general the whole golf industry should use more demand based pricing but the lack of winter rates in Colorado is insane. They know we're degenerates...

They keep charging it, because I keep paying it. Lol. Last year I did the GVR players club deal, so walking 18 this time of year was only like 23 bucks. I was kind of grumpy paying $45 on Sunday. It doesn’t look like I’m going to play there too much this upcoming year. They’re not doing the discount pass again and the rates are going up. I enjoy the course but not enough to want to pay 65+ to walk in season.

Speaking of winter rates... what’s COWrx’s opinion on Buffalo Run? Looks like their winder rates are 20-30 depending on when you tee off. I’ve never played there before. Is it worth the drive up there for us south-siders?

• DancinDancin Members Posts: 234 ✭✭
    Gmcourtney wrote:

007iron wrote:

They keep charging it, because I keep paying it. Lol. Last year I did the GVR players club deal, so walking 18 this time of year was only like 23 bucks. I was kind of grumpy paying $45 on Sunday. It doesn't look like I'm going to play there too much this upcoming year. They're not doing the discount pass again and the rates are going up. I enjoy the course but not enough to want to pay 65+ to walk in season.

Speaking of winter rates... what's COWrx's opinion on Buffalo Run? Looks like their winder rates are 20-30 depending on when you tee off. I've never played there before. Is it worth the drive up there for us south-siders?

I like the layout. Hopefully someone on the site played it this year. I did that $20s deal in the fall a few years ago and conditions were really bad with lots of hard pan dirt patches in most of the fairways and really slow greens, so I haven't been back since. Looking at online reviews from this year I don't see any complaints about conditions so maybe that all got fixed.
  • seven deweyseven dewey Posts: 522 ✭✭
    edited Jan 7, 2019 7:04pm #43
    Gmcourtney wrote:

007iron wrote:

They keep charging it, because I keep paying it. Lol. Last year I did the GVR players club deal, so walking 18 this time of year was only like 23 bucks. I was kind of grumpy paying $45 on Sunday. It doesn't look like I'm going to play there too much this upcoming year. They're not doing the discount pass again and the rates are going up. I enjoy the course but not enough to want to pay 65+ to walk in season.

Speaking of winter rates... what's COWrx's opinion on Buffalo Run? Looks like their winder rates are 20-30 depending on when you tee off. I've never played there before. Is it worth the drive up there for us south-siders?

It's certainly nothing special but I don't mind it. Not really a tree on it to be found anywhere so it shouldn't have any snow left at this point. If anyone wants to get out for a round I'd be up for it. Looks like it's supposed to get cold again by the end of the week though.

Edit: I played it once back in like March and it was fine. I don't remember any distinct dirt patches or anything.
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] [/font]

Gmcourtney wrote:

007iron wrote:

It's certainly nothing special but I don't mind it. Not really a tree on it to be found anywhere so it shouldn't have any snow left at this point. If anyone wants to get out for a round I'd be up for it. Looks like it's supposed to get cold again by the end of the week though.

Edit: I played it once back in like March and it was fine. I don't remember any distinct dirt patches or anything.

Nice. If it's in at least average winter condition compared to other courses, it's worth $30. As seven dewey said, nothing amazing, but you could do worse for more money in Denver and if the wind is blowing it can be pretty challenging.
    Cool. Thanks guys for the input. @Dancin... if you like the layout, I’m sure I will too. You’ve played a lot more courses than I have, but it seems that we have pretty similar tastes with regards to courses and styles. I’ll have to make it up there to check it out sometime this year.

Also... it’s definitely too early to make plans yet; who knows what the weather will look like. The mrs. is heading out if town on a girls trip on 1/18-19. So if the weather works out I’m hoping to get out and play a couple of times. Anyone interested if the weather is good?
  • ASak10ASak10 Posts: 164 ✭✭
    Buffalo Run is pretty challenging, I like it for the most part. Played it a few times this year...it's long and narrow. The rough/native area is pretty punishing, so during the season it really punishes wayward shots. Not sure how it is in the winter, assuming much easier without the penal rough and native grass areas. They do seem to always be working on areas in the fairways, so expect some ground under repair. Greens are usually pretty quick too (again, not sure how it is in the off season).
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Callaway Rogue 10.5* / Paderson Velocity 60 D30+[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Callaway Rogue 17* / Paderson Ballistic 70 D30[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Cobra King F7 19* / Fujikara Pro 75h[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Callaway Apex CF 16 / 5-AW / True Temper Dynamic Gold S300[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Callaway MD4 55* / W Grind / True Temper Dynamic Gold S200 [/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Callaway Mack Daddy 60* / PM Grind / KBS Tour-V[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Odyssey DFX 2-Ball[/font]
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,615 ClubWRX
    edited Jan 9, 2019 12:40am #48
    Buffalo Run is always a bit scruffy, even in the summer. So I don’t really expect their conditions will really decline all that much. It seems pretty basic and straightforward to me, mostly all out in front of you. From the tips the first par three (#4 I think) is a tough hole.

I paid $28 to walk Highland Hills in Greeley today. Unreal how good the greens are for winter.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • Joker91Joker91 Members Posts: 441 ✭✭
    Played both Westminster courses last weekend. $35 during the winter + cart fees. They are path only which sucks but with a 10ish tee time each day finished one day in 4:30 and the other in 4:00.

Some of the cups still had some ice/snow in them at Legacy on Saturday so a few pins had to be laid on the ground and the greens were shaggy as expected. Walnut was a different story on Sunday, greens were as fast as always.

Can't complain about playing both days on a weekend in January though
  • Skylines1414Skylines1414 Members Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Played Buffalo Run today. $20 to walk 18 after 12:00. Course was in pretty decent shape. I will definitely be going again when my schedule and weather allows.
    I just saw they are opening a new PGA Superstore up in Westminster in May. No more only having Golf Galaxy up here
  • I_HATE_SNOWI_HATE_SNOW Members Posts: 3,230 ✭✭
    Joker91 wrote:

I just saw they are opening a new PGA Superstore up in Westminster in May. No more only having Golf Galaxy up here

Nice, I enjoy the other store but not the drive to get to it.
    Joker91 wrote:

That will be awesome. They seem to have much better deals on clearance stuff than Golf Galaxy. Which strip mall are they moving into?
    Man, I can’t imagine I better deal than Highland Meadows in Windsor for $23
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
    Dancin wrote:

Joker91 wrote:

That will be awesome. They seem to have much better deals on clearance stuff than Golf Galaxy. Which strip mall are they moving into?

It looks like it will be across the street from the Westminster Mall where the old Toys R Us used to be. Next to Lowe's
  • pseudoswedepseudoswede Members Posts: 1,319 ✭✭

@CDM Sorry, can't make it tonight.
    "In the end, everything is fine; if it is not fine, it is not the end."

--Unknown

Ping G LS Tec 9° 65X
    Ping S56 3-PW (purple dot)
    Ping Glide 52°, 56°, 60° (purple dot)
    Ping Redwood Piper S 34"
    Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)
  • brianhorne8brianhorne8 Members Posts: 1,433 ✭✭

If anyone is planning a larger purchase at Golf Galaxy, I have a $299.99 gift card I got for a TaylorMade Spider warranty return. I've got the receipt and am only posting this local so we can meet up to exchange. I'd let it go for $270 cash face to face. PM if interested. If not, I'm sure I'll find something there I HAVE to have

I'll think on it. Not really hurting for anything, but the F9 was intriguing when I briefly hit it a few weeks ago, as was the Cortex. 2019 might be the year a new driver goes in the bag.
    Westminster isn't far enough north. Queso and I were talking today, wishing there was something in Northern Colorado. Maybe there just isn't a market here.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • CDMCDM Members Posts: 1,682 ✭✭
    Played Common Ground today. Standard conditions for this time of year. Price is a bit more then last year as some noted.
    Got out at highland meadows with Deadsolid today...first time playing with anyone from this board & it was a great time! Doesn’t hurt that we played in 3 hours either.
    Man, I can’t imagine I better deal than Highland Meadows in Windsor for $23

This! Can’t beat that! And it technically included a cart too, but we nixed that since it was cart path only.