NFL Playoff pickem contest (18-19)

knock it close

Happy new year all, thank you to Touch for running the regular season pool and to everyone else who participated and helped out. If we have anyone new who is looking to join welcome, we are happy to have you. So I figure for playoffs we will pick either a side or total for each game since 4 will be the most if that works for everyone. For lines i'll pull openers from @golfodds on twitter if that works for everyone, he's at superbook USA and is quite sharp.

So without further ado:

Colts 47.5

Texans -2.5

Seahawks 42.5

Cowboys -2.5

Chargers 41.5

Ravens -2.5

Eagles 41.5

Bears -4.5

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy new year all, thank you to Touch for running the regular season pool and to everyone else who participated and helped out. If we have anyone new who is looking to join welcome, we are happy to have you. So I figure for playoffs we will pick either a side or total for each game since 4 will be the most if that works for everyone. For lines i'll pull openers from @golfodds on twitter if that works for everyone, he's at superbook USA and is quite sharp.

So without further ado:

Colts 47.5

Texans -2.5

Seahawks 42.5

Cowboys -2.5

Chargers 41.5

Ravens -2.5

Eagles 41.5

Bears -4.5

Yesterday was a sad day for the world, and proves everyone has a story. Who knew The Captain was a classically trained pianist and played with the Beach Boys? I just knew him as the quiet guy who brought us Muskrat Love, and if you have never heard it, youtube it, it is possibly the worst song ever. But with a beautiful woman fronting you, everything is a hit. I preferred Donny and Marie, but only because they could ice skate inside, and like Donny, I was a little bit rock n roll. But truly, the Captain has passed, and pop culture has lost an icon.

I know nothing about any of these teams, and if I look them up, then I have gone against my own better judgement. I just know what I know, and I know the Colts are en fuego. I also know JJ Watt raised millions of dollars last year for the flood victims, and he has a brother who plays in the NFL too. Their receiver takes calls from Jane Lynch, who was a superb villian in Glee (hey I have a daughter so don't judge), and Houston used to be the Oilers. So the question to ask is, "Does Houston have a problem?" I don't think so. They have affordable housing, a space museum, and JJ Watt. So I will give the points and take the Houston team.

Love will keep us together, that is the mantra in the NW city of Seattle, and this is a little personal to me. When I married my wife in the last millennium, we were poised to be fat and happy as old people. Well, something turned, and she started to get into fitness. I can tell you, very few things are demeaning as going to a party with other middle aged folks and your spouse looks great, and your trying to suck in the fat that expands below your belt buckle for every photo. Well, the sweets have been thrown out or given away, the workouts have begun in earnest again, and Pete Carroll is much older than I am, but looks 100% more healthy than I do. I hate the Cowboys and Jerry Jones and his Pepsi Center and the disgusting monetization of all things JJ, so who do I pick. Do I pick the naturally healthy specimen, or the guy who with one more face lift is going to have nipples on his chin? Give me natural beauty anyday, but that isn't the pick, I am going to take the over on this one.

Let's see, there is a very good defense and a petulant QB. The other side has the youngest playoff QB in history. Think about that, the youngest ever, that's a pretty long time. I have to pick my new BFF Marty and his ground attack against the Chargers. I am not sure why, I just think the Chargers get some bad seafood the day before and come out a little listless. Then factor in PR's temper tantrums, and I just feel like the Trickster Ravens get the W, and I feel the over under is a smidge low as well, but that isn't the pick, give me Poe's teams here.

On FB, one of my best friends is in Philly, and all he does is rant about how terrible they are. In a related social media offshoot, FB says I look like Channing Tatum, I don't know who that is, but rest assured, he doesn't do me justice. The Bears simply cant be good enough to be hosting a playoff game, the best thing to happen to Soldier Field in the last 30 years is Dead and Company, but I digress. I see a RPO fest coming out of the city of brotherly love (did I mention I almost got tazed when I was visiting Philly this spring?) to neutralize the Bears new pass rusher Khalil Mack. I don't know if Philly has anyone to catch the ball, nor can i confirm is Nick Foles can throw the ball more than 10 yards at a time, but I see this as being the weekend upset. I will take the Iggles and the points this week.

The new year is afoot, and like I finished last year, I am using office time to enter my inane picks. I rationalize it by saying I am working "smarter." Happy New Year to everyone.

So without further ado:

Colts 47.5

Texans -2.5

Seahawks 42.5

Cowboys -2.5

Chargers 41.5

Ravens -2.5

Eagles 41.5

Bears -4.5

IND: +2.5

SEA: +2.5

LAC: +2.5

CHI: -4.5

So without further ado:

Colts 47.5

Texans -2.5

Seahawks 42.5

Cowboys -2.5

Chargers 41.5

Ravens -2.5

Eagles 41.5

Bears -4.5

Yesterday was a sad day for the world, and proves everyone has a story. Who knew The Captain was a classically trained pianist and played with the Beach Boys? I just knew him as the quiet guy who brought us Muskrat Love, and if you have never heard it, youtube it, it is possibly the worst song ever. But with a beautiful woman fronting you, everything is a hit. I preferred Donny and Marie, but only because they could ice skate inside, and like Donny, I was a little bit rock n roll. But truly, the Captain has passed, and pop culture has lost an icon.

I know nothing about any of these teams, and if I look them up, then I have gone against my own better judgement. I just know what I know, and I know the Colts are en fuego. I also know JJ Watt raised millions of dollars last year for the flood victims, and he has a brother who plays in the NFL too. Their receiver takes calls from Jane Lynch, who was a superb villian in Glee (hey I have a daughter so don't judge), and Houston used to be the Oilers. So the question to ask is, "Does Houston have a problem?" I don't think so. They have affordable housing, a space museum, and JJ Watt. So I will give the points and take the Houston team.

Love will keep us together, that is the mantra in the NW city of Seattle, and this is a little personal to me. When I married my wife in the last millennium, we were poised to be fat and happy as old people. Well, something turned, and she started to get into fitness. I can tell you, very few things are demeaning as going to a party with other middle aged folks and your spouse looks great, and your trying to suck in the fat that expands below your belt buckle for every photo. Well, the sweets have been thrown out or given away, the workouts have begun in earnest again, and Pete Carroll is much older than I am, but looks 100% more healthy than I do. I hate the Cowboys and Jerry Jones and his Pepsi Center and the disgusting monetization of all things JJ, so who do I pick. Do I pick the naturally healthy specimen, or the guy who with one more face lift is going to have nipples on his chin? Give me natural beauty anyday, but that isn't the pick, I am going to take the over on this one.

Let's see, there is a very good defense and a petulant QB. The other side has the youngest playoff QB in history. Think about that, the youngest ever, that's a pretty long time. I have to pick my new BFF Marty and his ground attack against the Chargers. I am not sure why, I just think the Chargers get some bad seafood the day before and come out a little listless. Then factor in PR's temper tantrums, and I just feel like the Trickster Ravens get the W, and I feel the over under is a smidge low as well, but that isn't the pick, give me Poe's teams here.

On FB, one of my best friends is in Philly, and all he does is rant about how terrible they are. In a related social media offshoot, FB says I look like Channing Tatum, I don't know who that is, but rest assured, he doesn't do me justice. The Bears simply cant be good enough to be hosting a playoff game, the best thing to happen to Soldier Field in the last 30 years is Dead and Company, but I digress. I see a RPO fest coming out of the city of brotherly love (did I mention I almost got tazed when I was visiting Philly this spring?) to neutralize the Bears new pass rusher Khalil Mack. I don't know if Philly has anyone to catch the ball, nor can i confirm is Nick Foles can throw the ball more than 10 yards at a time, but I see this as being the weekend upset. I will take the Iggles and the points this week.

The new year is afoot, and like I finished last year, I am using office time to enter my inane picks. I rationalize it by saying I am working "smarter." Happy New Year to everyone.

Tennille had some serious gams....they just went on and on and on.....

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

So without further ado:

Colts 47.5

Texans -2.5

Seahawks 42.5

Cowboys -2.5

Chargers 41.5

Ravens -2.5

Eagles 41.5

Bears -4.5

ha ha He said gams.

She had a pair of smoking stems in heels that one.

Oh yeah

My basement special's (selections) will be posted tomorrow.

So if you are wise............. call your book and lay action on the other side.

Thanks Knock it Close for setting it up sir.

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3 & 5 fw  Even Flow Green   
TM                   M4   4 & 5 hybrid  Atmos 

TM                  P790  6-PW Recoil ESX

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  

TM                  Spider cs  Golf Pride P Only Blue Star 

So without further ado:

Colts 47.5

Texans -2.5

Seahawks 42.5

Cowboys -2.5

Chargers 41.5

Ravens -2.5

Eagles 41.5

Bears -4.5

ha ha He said gams. She had a smoking pair of stems in high heels.

Oh yeah

So if you are wise............. call your book and lay action on the other side.

I'm thinking this time around I just coincidentally copy knocks picks. At least the first week or two to give myself a chance.

I've been doing recliner squats in anticipation of this weekend's FOOTBALL. And oh yeah and pre game crank up the 1aa championship is at noon on sat. Be there or be beyond square bro.

Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

Wild card weekend

my selections

The Colts first lost by 3 points to the Texans in Indy in week 4. The Colts then beat the Texans by 3 points in H Town 9 weeks later.

So they are scheduled to lose by 3 this game.

Pick: Texans -2 1/2

Give me the points with the awesome Russell Wilson lead team. Hopefully Dem Boys are Dem One and Dem Done.

Pick: Seahawks + 2 1/2

Chargers traveling all the way to Old Bay Spicetown. This Harbaugh brother can win important games. Ravens Defense is too tough.

Pick: Ravens - 2 1/2

Bears and Mitch are rolling right along. Eagles magic ends at Soldier.

Pick: Bears - 4 1/2

9ed1806f5f8320e646cf102262350249--nba-cheerleaders-new-england-patriots-cheerleaders.jpg

So without further ado:

Colts 47.5

Texans -2.5

Seahawks 42.5

Cowboys -2.5

Chargers 41.5

Ravens -2.5

Eagles 41.5

Bears -4.5

ha ha He said gams. She had a smoking pair of stems in high heels.

Oh yeah

I'm thinking this time around I just coincidentally copy knocks picks. At least the first week or two to give myself a chance.

Oh you be cheatin' yourself out of the basement is what ya be trying lad?

The things folks will do to escape the dank dwelling.

how-to-get-rid-of-musty-smell-in-basement.jpg

Well here we go...I got to tell you this weeks games really are some great matchups. Maybe better than what we can expect next week. Teams with byes usually handle their business with fresh legs and playing at home. That is why this week is going to be more entertaining.

Hats off to the Cowboys and Eagles for making the last half of the season count unlike my Redskins in the NFC East. Is it possible that both teams are one and done??? Very possible. The sharps are hammering the line in Chi-town pushing it up to 6.5.

Cowboys playing at home and have a very fast defense and stout offensive line. They could manage a win at home, but I can not for the life of me bet against the better coached team and the better Qb, with a healthy Doug Baldwin. Bobby Wagner is a holdover from the legion of boom, but make no mistake here. This is not a given for the Seahawks. Amari Cooper is the best receiver on the field and Zeke is the best overall running back in the league IMHO, yes even better than Gurley and Barkley at this point in time, put Zeke on the Rams and watch, I think he handles contact better than the other two. The Hawks have committed to the run and have the best overall run game in the league. Chunk plays for both teams could determine the winner as both defenses will try and corral the running games. I will take "Chunkmaster" Wilson in this one Hawks +2.5 Road Dog Alert!

The Bears have really the best home field advantage out of the 4 teams playing this weekend. And I think their defense will feed off of that and end the magical mystery tour for Nick Foles and beat the Eagles soundly at home.

Taking the Bears -4.5

The next game is one that I wish I did not have to pick a winner. I love both Quarterbacks and DeAndre Hopkins is my favorite receiver in the league. Yes kids, Andrew "Comeback Player of the Year Candidate" Luck, vs DeShaun "Comeback Player of the Year Candidate" Watson. I have the utmost affection and respect for both quarterbacks and wish they could both win this week. But for some reason people seem to be dismissing the Texans at home against the upstart Frank Reich coached Indy Colts on the road. Will Clowney and Watt put enough pressure on Luck and force him to make some of those weird throws under duress? Or will DeShaun Watson feel the heat against a pretty stingy Colts defense which might force him to make plays with his feet. And then there is DeAndre Hopkins and T.Y Hylton, the two most underrated receivers playing in the same game! Why does there have to be a loser in this one I tell You?!! Well, there is no loser on this blog post! Give me the Over Houston/Colts 47.5 It's a stretch I am willing to commit to because no one loses this game! Damn it all to Hell! If I had to pick a winner even on the "moneyline" I would edge towards the Texans. But that is not my pick for the pool.

This game is a real tough one for me to pick. I have been spouting off about the Ravens and their newly vaunted defense, and rookie running QB. How the Chargers with their record have to travel across country and play Baltimore at home in one of the loudest stadiums in the NFL is beyond me. But even with all of that you have to think Rivers finds a way to get it done in clutch time. I would love to see the Ravens spank the Patriots in Foxboro, I mean physically man handle Brady into submission. But I do not think that is going to happen this year. I think the Chargers figure out a winning combination on the road and do just enough to win the game in the 4th quarter. I would not mind seeing the Ravens win this one. I am going to have to make a last minute edit and take the home favorite. Injuries on that Chargers defense is giving me some pause so I cancelling the Road Dog Alert and taking the home team the RAVENS -2.5 THATS MY FINAL ANSWER []

Good Luck Everyone! It's January 2019 Let the NFL Commencement Exercises Begin!

Sadly, I work in the hospitality Industry and work Saturday Nights but i feel your enthusiasm. NFL and NHL Playoffs are awesome! The most anticipated events on my Sports calendar with the Masters and the Open across the Pond. U.S Open is to tricked up now, so I bump it down a half of notch. I take tradition over gaudy tricked up courses.

Oops Sorry that was a reply to the Q's post earlier I thought I hit the quote button.

Wild card weekend

my selections

The Colts first lost by 3 points to the Texans in Indy in week 4. The Colts then beat the Texans by 3 points in H Town 9 weeks later.

So they are scheduled to lose by 3 this game.

Pick: Texans -2 1/2

Give me the points with the awesome Russell Wilson lead team. Hopefully Dem Boys are Dem One and Dem Done.

Pick: Seahawks + 2 1/2

Chargers traveling all the way to Old Bay Spicetown. This Harbaugh brother can win important games. Ravens Defense is too tough.

Pick: Ravens - 2 1/2

Bears and Mitch are rolling right along. Eagles magic ends at Soldier.

Pick: Bears - 4 1/2

9ed1806f5f8320e646cf102262350249--nba-cheerleaders-new-england-patriots-cheerleaders.jpg

Switching my pick tomorrow to the LA Chargers. I'll take the points (+2 1/2 ) with the more complete/balanced team.

cancel the Ravens

so My picks now stand as.......... Texans (currently getting their As*'' kicked bad)

Seattle tonight with the points,

and tomorrow it's the Bolts, and the Da Bears for the cellar slob, me.

cough cough ......you don't say.

A new (changed mind) pick by me, so possibly it calls for another cheerful one? sure!

Happy Saturday night gents

f6d8f4f7d58624ae22fb0794beb70c69.jpg

49789463_2298745306838811_5500596046557872128_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.xx&oh=9330085117bc6abfdb0c1c4bc8beef64&oe=5C8AF711

Wow! getting the Cover in the Seahawks game felt dirty but I will take it. Kinda like having that hot date who you have a big crush on and it is going very awkward all night and you are ready to throw in the towel, but at the last minute she says " do you want to come in for a cup of coffee?" George Costanza punted but not me!

I was so very wrong about the Texans/Colts game. If you go back and look at the teams the Texans beat and the QB's who were playing, banged up Marcus Mariota, Colt McCoy, Cody Kessler, Case Keenum,B Bortles, Sam Darnold, split the inter divisional series with the Colts both high scoring games with a 3 point difference in each. I thought that might bode well for the over. But the Colts were the obvious play. Luck had laser beams coming out of his eyes. Colts even ran the ball better than the Texans. The Texans were out coached and have a really bad offensive line. Watson was never able to settle down.

The Chargers/Ravens should be really interesting. The Chargers were beaten at home by the Ravens earlier and now have to travel all the way to the most eastern part of the U.S to play a one and done playoff game against an aggressive defense like the Ravens at home...Ugggh! I actually hope the Chargers win this game. I think they have a nice mix of players. But they are banged up on defense, and if the Ravens can impose upon them the will to run the ball it's not going to be pretty for Rivers and his Brady Bunch and Partridge Family amount of kids he is toting... Father knows Best. This is a classic example of seeding matters when it comes to the playoff run. Sometimes the better teams do not make it through for some reason or another.

The Eagles/Bears is another plot twist. To me the Eagles might be the "TRUE WILD CARD OF WILD CARD WEEKEND" Who really knows what Nick Foles is capable of? Quick passes to Darren Sproles, and a plethora of receiving options like the reliable A Jefferey and Zach Ertz might be what Doug Pederson has drawn up on his analytics based chalk board, I bet the film room had a replay of the Patriots - Bears showdown in Chicago earlier in the year when Brady made hay checking down to James White a lot! That game was won by the Patriots 38-31. I have to believe the Bears will survive and Trubisky will do enough running and tossing to outlets like Tarik Cohen and banging it with Howard enough to keep the Eagles front 7 just honest enough. Two well coached teams this might be the game of the weekend or it might be a lopsided affair if Khalil Mack is in Foles grill enough to warrant the introduction to the Nate Sudfeld era.

A TRUE WILDCARD ALERT GAME! This game might be addictive and habit forming.

Looks like I'll be kicking off the picks. If I read it right, we're making four picks, one for each game. So we'll go with.....

HOU/IND - Under

SEA +2.5

LAC/BAL - Under

PHI +4.5

4-0 baby! I'd like to go ahead and retire while I'm ahead. It's been fun. lol

My man with a fine opening weekend. That was not easy to do..Congrats Adam.

2-2 for me

I think I should be ok with that on account of how the 4 games went.

This Weekend was for the Dogs. Problem was I only had two of those puppies.

mission-dog-231x300.png

Playoff NFL games = Awesome suspenseful Action OFTEN!!!!!!

3-1. Except for Indy/Tex, which I lost, all great games to watch. And yes it can be a great game if I lose. Really, seriously.

Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

Limping into the Golf WRX Locker room beaten, battered and bewildered, down trodden after getting destroyed. No I am not talking about Codey Parkey or DeShaun Watson. It's no lie I enjoy picking games and writing about those picks. But now I drag my tail in and dust off my coat and tie, pick myself right back up and say, "Thats Right!!!" Frank, "Thank You May I have another." No one said this was easy, it takes a lot of moxie to pick the teams with lousy field goal kickers and QB's that fumble balls every series it seemed, Yes dear people of the blogosphere it hurts being wrong, but that is what happens in this business, No one said it was going to be a cake walk I feel thankful for "Seabass" pulling a groin, at least that gave me the cover in Dallas, a la a most unlikeliest of 2 point conversions with barely any game left to be played.

I feel bad for Chicago I thought they played well enough to win, but the Eagles have moxie and great coaching with Foles running that offense. How they neutralized K. Mack was pretty incredible. I see a brighter future for the Bears moving forward, without "Codey Laces Out Parkey".

I am stupid to change that Chargers pick, I loved the Chargers I think I mentioned them a ways back as replacements for my erroneous Jaguars Super Bowl prediction. I started listening to all of the talking heads on TV, big mistake.

Sometimes taking the points is the best option in Wild Card free for alls like these.

Oh Well, nicely done to all that went 4-0 and 3-1 like our Commish for the yearly pool Touch.

Thank You Knock it Close for starting this thread.

I have a lot of fun posting these rants win or lose.

GO SAINTS