PGA Tour looks to interview players during rounds, if they're willing

OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers Posts: 2,476 ✭✭
edited Jan 2, 2019 3:36am in Tour Talk #1
https://www.golfchan...-theyre-willing

They've been doing this in some events on the ET for a few years now and it works quite well, it actually works way better than I thought when they first announced it I was a little skeptical. I wouldn't criticise a player if they chose to opt-out but it can be very interesting to hear a player's comments in as close to real-time as possible.

I agree with Marc Leishman you need someone to ask the "right" questions or it won't go well and Sky Sports get that spot-on when Tim Barter is doing it as he's the best interviewer in all of golf.

I'm hopeful the PGA Tour implements it but I'd be a little disappointed if all/most of the "top" players opt-out. Rory and JT look like they definitely won't get involved.
Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x

Comments

• MarkFromTheUKMarkFromTheUK Members Posts: 4,639 ✭✭
    So Sergio, 5 consecutive balls dunked in the water. What are your plans for this weekend?
    PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
    PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
    PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
    PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
    PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
    PXG Operator H - 34.5”
    Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
    PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
    Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!
  • smoky25smoky25 Members Posts: 1,032 ✭✭
    Oh good- something else to show instead of pros hitting shots. I'd rather they showed more actual golf instead.
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers Posts: 2,476 ✭✭
    edited Jan 2, 2019 8:37am #4
    smoky25 wrote:

Oh good- something else to show instead of pros hitting shots. I'd rather they showed more actual golf instead.

I thought something something similar myself when Sky Sports/ET first announced their intention to do on-course interviews, of course we don't have as many commercial interruptions as US coverage. In addition the events this occurs are usually something like two sessions of 3 hours (minimum 6 hours coverage) each day on Thursday and Friday and at least 5 hours each day coverage on the weekend.

If the interviewer is good and they extract some interesting insight its worthwhile, they are conveniently timed with respect to the player and there is only a select few per day.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,317 ✭✭
    They used to do this all the time. Or they would have the camera man stick the camera int the players face and get some sort of “Hi mom” reaction. Then they said they weren’t going to be doing that anymore. Not sure of the reason why.
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • bladehunterbladehunter Rain rain go the hell away ! south carolinaMembers Posts: 26,741 ✭✭
    Ugh. Agree. More golf less talking.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21 ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-pw  Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • golfandfishinggolfandfishing Members Posts: 3,525 ✭✭
    BrianMcG wrote:

They used to do this all the time. Or they would have the camera man stick the camera int the players face and get some sort of “Hi mom” reaction. Then they said they weren’t going to be doing that anymore. Not sure of the reason why.

I remember watching as a kid and a player was on a roll during a rainy day. Someone asked him walking off a tee what he thought about the rain. He said “I hadn’t noticed until now”. My dad made the comment that he was done for, and he was. Got on the bogey train immediately after his on course interview.
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,489 ✭✭
    I can't imagine we'll get anything useful from these interviews, likely will be similar to NFL or NBA in-game ones that have become kind of a joke

"Kevin Durant has 27 points in the first half, what are your plans for the second?"

"Well we're going to try to stop him"
    Cobra F8+ 9.5 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex 20h w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56 w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/s300
    Odyssey O-works Red Tank #7
  • stryperstryper Members Posts: 3,208 ✭✭
    Personally, I’d rather see a quick one or two minute Q&A with a contender walking down a fairway early on the back nine than watch some random guy who’s seven shots back putt out for par on his 72nd hole, wipe his sweaty brow, then shake hands all around...not that that’s not riveting TV.
    Titleist 917D2, w/UST Mamiya Elements Chrome 7F4T
    Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
    18* KZG U Iron, w/UST Proforce V2 100-S
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-5, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
    Titleist Vokey SM5 52-08 F
    Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
    Odyssey O-Works Tank #7
  • FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 4,891 ✭✭
    Maltbie: "Dustin, Dustin....?"

Dustin: "yeah?"

Maltbie: "You gotta an extra smoke."

Dustin: "yeah"

Maltbie: "burn one with me?"

Dustin: "yeah"

Dynamite TV!
  • Birdie MacBirdie Mac Members Posts: 550 ✭✭
    Heard an unsolicited interview once during a yellow flag at a Nascar race. Once the driver figured out it was the announcer and not the pit, he shut it down quick.

I suppose this would be ok, but I'd like to hear more banter between the golfer and caddy instead of canned responses to an on course interview.
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,673 ✭✭
    Yes, they should let the Japanese media get a crack at this....

"Jordan Spieth. You are about to start the famous Amen Corner. What will you be thinking as you approach the 12th hole? And also, what do you think Hideki will be thinking?"

hqdefault.jpg
  • thesaxemachinethesaxemachine Hello, friends... Members Posts: 434 ✭✭
    smoky25 wrote:

This. Unless it is picture-in-picture, I don’t need any more talking heads in the broadcast, thanks.
    Rogue SZ w/ Tour AD GP
    M1 w/ Diamana Thump
    GAPR w/ KBS Tour Proto
    Srixon Z-765 w/ PX LZ
    Vokey 46° 50° 54°
    Hi-Toe 58°
    Bobby Grace Tour Diamond 3
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,489 ✭✭
    stryper wrote:

Personally, I'd rather see a quick one or two minute Q&A with a contender walking down a fairway early on the back nine than watch some random guy who's seven shots back putt out for par on his 72nd hole, wipe his sweaty brow, then shake hands all around...not that that's not riveting TV.

I would actually disagree , respectfully of course....I just don't think the guys in contention are going to say anything. Probably just "gonna try to keep this going!" or "i thought i had that last putt"....It's hard to see them taking the time to give a thoughtful interview while competing for like 1M dollars and trying to stay focused

I might actually be interested in hearing from someone who's 7-8 shots back on a Sunday and finishing his round as the leaders are going out, he may open up more about pin positions or how the rough is, especially in a big tournament.
    Cobra F8+ 9.5 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex 20h w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56 w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/s300
    Odyssey O-works Red Tank #7
  • augustgolfaugustgolf Golf with dignity Coastal NCMembers Posts: 3,902 ✭✭
    I think that they should just mike Pat Perez for the entire tournament, but the command trailer would have to have at least 2 more censors with those button that "bleep" out certain words.
    Pings from the beginning

OGA member 1415
    or is it 1514...
    I don't remember exactly
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,913 ClubWRX
    Big yawner. Phil/Tiger match should only confirm how lame it will be. Good luck getting anyone in contention commenting back 9 of any tournament, but if somebody wants to and it isn't distracting fellow competitor I guess go ahead and bore me!
    stryper wrote:

Personally, I'd rather see a quick one or two minute Q&A with a contender walking down a fairway early on the back nine than watch some random guy who's seven shots back putt out for par on his 72nd hole, wipe his sweaty brow, then shake hands all around...not that that's not riveting TV.

During the final round in Dubai Danny Willett did a quick interview at some point on his front 9 (around 6 or 7 I think), OK he didn't say anything groundbreaking but you got a real sense that he was back mentally and likely to give himself a very good chance of winning so when he closed I wasn't surprised. It was insightful and added to the viewing experience.

I understand the skepticism, I was myself, but I think it works.
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Titleist Pro V 1x
    edited Jan 2, 2019 12:55pm #18

smoky25 wrote:

This. Unless it is picture-in-picture, I don't need any more talking heads in the broadcast, thanks.

The Danny Willett example I detailed was 90/120 secs of a 5 or 5.5 hour broadcast.

Probably works better for UK coverage as I do understand US golf coverage has too many talking heads, I recently watched the Shootout and Father/Son on US coverage and at times its tough.
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • getitdailygetitdaily Members Posts: 2,440 ✭✭
    Phil and bryson would be good.

"What did you do to hit that so close?"

"Well, I had a 6.4mph wind about 17 degrees into me from the right. That generally reduces spin on my 6iron by 227rpm so it goes right at 4.2 yards shorter. The shot called for a 2 yard fade into that wind so I applied 2 lbs of extra force on the middle finger of my lead hand, swing the club back 4.8 degrees more outside than usual. But because I needed to hit a fade, I rotated my hips open at 3.7mph faster than normal. You know, normal stuff, right?"

Camera swings to maltby and he's got dumbfounded drool running down his chin.
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,913 ClubWRX
    edited Jan 2, 2019 11:43pm #20
    My God would I love to see Brandel Chamblee running out to the 15th fairway at The Masters with a microphone while Tiger is getting ready to hit yelling some question about where he plans to drop!

I can't imagine all the fun that would follow, but I'm working on it.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • MidMOGolferMidMOGolfer Members Posts: 208
    More Trackman numbers, less talking please.
    D/3W/H: Taylormade M2 2016
    4I-AW: Taylormade P770
    GW/LW: Taylormade EF
    P: Seemore FGP Mallet
    Ball: Taylormade TP5X
  • Railroading13Railroading13 NebraskaMembers Posts: 634 ✭✭
    Terrible terrible idea. Yes I realize I wrote terrible twice - I did it to emphasize how terrible of an idea this is.

Think about pro golfers interviews and how boring and cliche they are. Now they want to interrupt actual coverage with more pointless interviews!?

Show more golf - this is not rocket science! Show more golf shots, less tap ins, more swings and shots around the green, less putts. This shouldn’t be that difficult
    WITB

Cobra King LTD 9.5 Fujikura Pro 73 X
    Cobra Bio Cell 14.5 Diamana D+ 80 X
    Cobra Bio Cell+ 18.5 Diamana Ahina 80X
    Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi 4-5 KBS Tour 130X
    Mizuno MP18 SC 6-PW KBS Tour 130X
    Mizuno S18 GW 52.9
    Mizuno T5 SW 56.14
    Callaway PM Grind 60.10
    Odyssey O Works 7s W/ Superstroke 50G counterweight
  • just plain billjust plain bill Unregistered Posts: 1,488 ✭✭
    i hate when anncrs talk over the caddy/player conversations...
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 4,996 ✭✭
    They used to do this back in the day on the PGA Tour.

Here's Ben Wright on the 16th tee in the final round of the 1981 Los Angeles Open with leader Johnny Miller.

http://youtu.be/FVVyDfxiOtQ?t=195
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
  • just plain billjust plain bill Unregistered Posts: 1,488 ✭✭
    Miller: "I'm not patting myself on the back, but..."
  • ghostriderghostrider Members Posts: 222 ✭✭
    and next they should just take a camera crew and walk right into some the executives offices who think this is a good idea. Just interrupt them a few times during the day while they are trying to work and see if they still agree with this dumb idea
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 4,914 ✭✭
    Agreed that it sounds like a horrible idea but having seen it in action on the European Tour, it actually works quite well. That said, the guys on the Euro Tour do seem to have a bit more personality which makes me think that it will work better with them than it will with the PGA Tour guys.
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow White T1100
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Members Posts: 12,708 ✭✭
    So, Bubba...

Sorry sorry, please don’t cry...
  • gripandripgripandrip Members Posts: 984 ✭✭
    They just had a quick interview in the fairway with Patton K. Near the end he commented that they almost just got hit by a ball while standing there.

That would definitely add a new element to watching.....
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 12,050 ✭✭
    Miller Was Awesome
    Ping G400 LST 11* Aldila RIP Phenom 50tx
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* GD AD BB 6s
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Mitsu KK 80s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping s55 6-PW Fujikura mci 100s
    Vokey sm2 50* 54* 59* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • bullie76bullie76 Members Posts: 2,178 ✭✭

They used to do this back in the day on the PGA Tour.

Here's Ben Wright on the 16th tee in the final round of the 1981 Los Angeles Open with leader Johnny Miller.

http://youtu.be/FVVyDfxiOtQ?t=195

I've watched a lot of golf over the years but I did not remember that. Good find.
    My senior bag.......
    Taylormade M2(2016) 9.5* driver reg
    Taylormade RBZ 13* 3 wood reg
    Adams TL2 - FW 16* 4 wood & 3,4 hybrids reg
    Ping G 6-pw(power lofts), i200 U wedge(49*).....CFS graphite reg
    Ping Glide 54/58 ss reg
    Ping Craz-E putter