PGA Tour looks to interview players during rounds, if they're willing

2»

Comments

• Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,695 ClubWRX
    cardoustie wrote:

Miller Was Awesome

Square jawed golfing machine!
  • farmerfarmer Members Posts: 7,850 ✭✭
    Do it in the NFL. Get a camera crew in the huddle, "Aaron, that was a particularly brutal sack. Aaron, AARON, I'm over here."
  • howellhandmadehowellhandmade Members Posts: 736 ✭✭
    It hasn't been that long, but it seems that every player who has been interviewed has played poorly either the remainder of the hole or the next hole. My selective memory perhaps.
  • soregongolfersoregongolfer Members Posts: 1,296 ✭✭
    farmer wrote:

Do it in the NFL. Get a camera crew in the huddle, "Aaron, that was a particularly brutal sack. Aaron, AARON, I'm over here."

The XFL is coming back. They may do just that.
  • WidespreadPanicWidespreadPanic Wizard in the Corner Members Posts: 4,826 ✭✭
    I imagine they won’t be interviewing anybody on the weekend who is in contention right? Is that the protocol on the Euro Tour when they do in round interviews?
    Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5*
    Cobra F7 15.5*
    Taylormade M1 ('17) 19*
    Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi 4i
    Mizuno MP18 SC 5-PW
    Cleveland RTX 588 2.0 52**, 56**, 60**
    Taylormade TP Red Ardmore 3
    Taylormade TPx
  • TheMoneyShotTheMoneyShot ***FIGJAM/Twirl of Doom*** Members Posts: 30,502 ✭✭
    I wonder who is going to be brave enough to ask TW for a mid round interview??? I don’t see that ending well.
  • GhostwedgeGhostwedge Members Posts: 653 ✭✭
    I need LESS talking unless itʻs player/caddie stuff. So spend that coin on more shot tracer and some guy with a boom mike near the leaders instead.
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,384 ✭✭
    Good opportunity for guys to get sponsors more airtime and even plug products.

• golfgirlrobingolfgirlrobin Members Posts: 2,306 ✭✭
    I don’t even want to hear a post round interview, why would I want to hear a mid round interview? You can’t ask anything that would be remotely related to his actual play or you run the risk of throwing a guy off his game, so you get a bunch of “how about that wind?” questions.

Besides, it’ll cut into the hour they’re spending every day talking about the new flag rule, and who wants to miss out on more of that?
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Fairway: Epic Flash 14* & 20*
    Hybrid: Ping G410 22*
    Irons: TaylorMade M CGB 6-SW
    Wedges: Callaway 2019 PM Grind 59* and 64*
    Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch
    Ball:  Titleist Pro V1
    Against it, but have to admit so far not horrible. Of course, this isn't The Open Championship with pressure, winds and maybe rain, or talking to guys having just realized Augusta isn't all that easy (these pros aren't scratch golfers you know!) because they dunked it on 13.

Yes, I know, I doubt anyone would approach a player who was on tilt and I'm sure players can waive them off and probably already are, but this tourney is almost a friendly outing for awhile during the week.

Proof will be in the pudding of a hotly contested major during the final round.

And how are we supposed to know that's an interview without GC flashing a big graphic that says, "For Comment"?
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 4,756 ✭✭
    bscinstnct wrote:

Good opportunity for guys to get sponsors more airtime and even plug products.

I assume this where we are going. No one wants to discuss the five footer they missed on the last green, but they will talk about The Greenbrier on a five minute trek to where their drive landed.

Phil could probably fit in a falconry lesson, talk about his new Titleist golf ball and drop a couple of stock tips as well.

full disclosure: I have no idea what brand of ball Phil plays and I don't care
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 4,756 ✭✭
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

Against it, but have to admit so far not horrible. Of course, this isn't The Open Championship with pressure, winds and maybe rain, or talking to guys having just realized Augusta isn't all that easy (these pros aren't scratch golfers you know!) because they dunked it on 13.

Yes, I know, I doubt anyone would approach a player who was on tilt and I'm sure players can waive them off and probably already are, but this tourney is almost a friendly outing for awhile during the week.

And how are we supposed to know that's an interview without GC flashing a big graphic that says, "For Comment"?

The closest they can get is the Players Championship, the PGA Tour has no say in the four majors.

I double dog dare the tour to interview anyone coming to 17 tee in the final round at the TPC with a shot at winning.
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
  • Dr. BlockDr. Block Members Posts: 610 ✭✭
    edited Jan 6, 2019 4:40pm #44
    I’m sure this has worked great on the Euro tour broadcasts. They have to get creative to break up their almost constant coverage of nothing but putting and certain tee shots from odd front-corner-facing camera angles.
  • nichhonichho Members Posts: 1,920 ✭✭
    Dr. Block wrote:

I'm sure this has worked great on the Euro tour broadcasts. They have to get creative to break up their almost constant coverage of nothing but putting and certain tee shots from odd front-corner-facing camera angles.

It should be quite easy to fit these interviews in on the PGA Tour between talking heads, Biz hub cameras, CEO's and commercial breaks. Who needs camera's.

Did I mention commercial breaks.
    Callaway BB Alpha DBD 815 Speeder
    Srixon Z H65 2h Myazaki Kaula
    Srixon Z H65 3h Myazaki Kaula
    Ben Hogan Ft Worth 15 4 - PW KBS V110
    Japanese Tour Forged AW
    Japanese Tour Forged SW
    Mizuno T105
  • Dr. BlockDr. Block Members Posts: 610 ✭✭
    nichho wrote:

Dr. Block wrote:

I'm sure this has worked great on the Euro tour broadcasts. They have to get creative to break up their almost constant coverage of nothing but putting and certain tee shots from odd front-corner-facing camera angles.

It should be quite easy to fit these interviews in on the PGA Tour between talking heads, Biz hub cameras, CEO's and commercial breaks. Who needs camera's.

Well played sir. But I do think the Euro tour could choose to film the tee to green aspect of the game in a more engaging way. That being said, I still enjoy watching - especially the commentators
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,384 ✭✭
    nichho wrote:

Dr. Block wrote:

"Mad"ison Avenue. Part of your life

Hawkeye77 wrote:

The closest they can get is the Players Championship, the PGA Tour has no say in the four majors.

I double dog dare the tour to interview anyone coming to 17 tee in the final round at the TPC with a shot at winning.

I'm aware of the distinction, but if they don't filter it into the majors, certainly someone will try to convince them, won't consider it a "success".
  • ObeeObee ClubWRX Posts: 3,715 ClubWRX
    They used to do this back in the day on the PGA Tour.

Here's Ben Wright on the 16th tee in the final round of the 1981 Los Angeles Open with leader

What a great tournament and a great leader board. Did you see the size of the crowd on 18? Wow.
    PING G400 Max - Tour 65 S
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Titleist H1 19* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Titleist H1 23* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S
    Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
    Don Wood Custom Grind 47* PW
    Don Wood Custom Grind 51* GW
    Titleist "Vokey Design" 56* K Grind
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
    Odyssey Works Versa Tank 1W (bent to 78.5*)