Best Mizuno Blades

hypergolfhypergolf Members Posts: 1,222 ✭✭
I am thinking about getting some Mizzy blades to replace my almost worn out MP-60. I see some great value items in the second hand market so wanted to see which Mizuno MB irons are worth considering as I might not be able to test them first before purchase. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• jasonp87jasonp87 Members Posts: 2,107 ✭✭
    Mp4 for recent offerings. Mp18 pretty nice too but prefer 4s.
    Driver
    TM M6 (9) Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 6X 45"
    3W
    TM M3 (16) Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X 43.25"
    5W
    TM M3 (19) Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X 42.25"
    3i
    TM TP UDI (20.5) Dynamic Gold X100
    Irons
    Mizuno MP4 (4-PW) Modus 3 125X
    Wedges---TM Milled Grind Modus 3 125X (48) & TM Hi-Toe (54)(60) Modus 3 125 Wedge
    Putter
    TM Spider Tour Black (DJ) 34" SS Pistol GTR
  • WarrickWarrick ClubWRX Posts: 10,361 ClubWRX
    4's feel

5's forgiveness

18's looks

I have not played older Mizzy blades.
    F9 - 9* Smoke 70
    F9 Tour 3w\13.5 - Smoke 70
    F9 Tour 5w\17.5- Smoke 70
    Epic hybrid - 22* Pro White 90
    Mizuno 919 combo 5-P - PX LZ 6.0
    Mizuno T7 - 48-53-58 - PX LZ 6.5
    Custom V-Line Fang
    TM TP5X
  • GreenstealthGreenstealth Members Posts: 125 ✭✭
    Warrick wrote:

4's feel

5's forgiveness

18's looks

Nailed it. I am not a great striker and the 5s are playable.
  • GolfingfanaticGolfingfanatic Members Posts: 3,107 ✭✭
    edited Jan 2, 2019 11:26am #5
    TN-87

Mizuno Pro 118 (JDM version of MP18)
    Cobra F9 Tour Length
    2016 TM M1 T3 12.5°
    TEE CBX 119 16° hybrid
    Cobra F9 4 Iron Ricke Special
    Miura CB57 5-PW
    Vokey SM4 52°/ Cleveland RTX 2.0 Raw 56°/ Vokey Proto 60°
    Odyssey Armlock
  • LowDimeLowDime Members Posts: 117 ✭✭
    i loved my 60/68 combo set. It gave me the ease of hitting the long irons and the better playability of the 6-pw. I also have a set of either 32's or 33;s sitting in the box collecting dust.
  • grochol17grochol17 Members Posts: 1,284 ✭✭
    hypergolf wrote:

I am thinking about getting some Mizzy blades to replace my almost worn out MP-60. I see some great value items in the second hand market so wanted to see which Mizuno MB irons are worth considering as I might not be able to test them first before purchase. Thanks in advance!

I went from MP 60s to a mixed set of MP H5/25/5. Generally, I find the 5s in the 6-PW to play pretty similarly to the way the 60s played. Can't comment on the longer irons, though. But, I agree with Warrick that the 5s are pretty darn forgiving for a blade and that would be my suggestion if you're looking for a full set of blades. Another option would be the MP 32s (they have the same cut muscle as the 60s) if you can find a set in good shape.
    Ping G400 LST, 8.5*, HZRDUS Yellow 75 6.0
    Titleist 915 F, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
    Mizuno MP H5, 1&3 iron, C Taper Lite X
    Mizuno MP 25, 4&5 iron, DG X100 SSx1
    Mizuno MP 5, 6-PW, DG X100 SSx1
    Titleist Vokey Spin Milled CC, 53* & 58* (DG S300)
    Piretti Potenza II Rev 2.0, 375g, 34"
    Srixon Z Star / Z Star XV 5
  • Andyman234Andyman234 Members Posts: 14
    I love my MP18 MMCs. I would highly recommend hitting them first though. Maybe you can find them new somewhere and demo them before purchasing them used.
    WITB
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]PING G25 9.5* S-Flex Stock Shaft
    Taylormade AeroBurner 3W 15* S-Flex Stock Shaft[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi 3i - 5i KBS C Taper S-Flex[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Mizuno MP18 MMC 6-PW [/font]KBS C Taper S-Flex
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist Vokey SM5 48* F Grind
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54* M Grind
    Titleist Vokey SM5 60* S Grind
    2014 Scotty Cameron GoLo 5
    Vice Pro Soft[/font]
  • Hit em goodHit em good Hit em good Members Posts: 2,098 ✭✭

Warrick wrote:

4's feel

5's forgiveness

18's looks

These.

Also, for older models, 32's are beloved, and 33's but not as forgiving.
    Driver: 07 Burner TP
    4 wood: Ping G25
    7 wood: Ping G25
    23° hybrd:  Ping G25
    5i - pw: Mizuno MP64
    Wedges 50° / 54° / 58°: Cleveland Rotex 2.0 (2 dot , 3 dot , 2 dot)
    Putter: Ping Redwood Anser
    Ball: Titleist Pro v1x / Pro v1
    Bag: Titlest Stand Bag / 4 way top
  • dmeeksDCdmeeksDC ClubWRX Posts: 2,206 ClubWRX
    edited Jan 2, 2019 2:40pm #10
    Of the muscleback MP’s, I rank the 5’s most forgiving, with the 69’s next. I can’t really handle a full set of blades so I typically sub out the 4 and 5 irons. Of the MP CB’s, my favorites are the 53 and then the 59. The MP53 long irons have a deep/low COG and for me launch like the MP18 MMC Fli-Hi’s.
    Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
    Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 915F fairway, 21 degrees, Diamana Blue 70 stiff
    Srixon 565 4 iron, Nippon 980GH stiff shaft
    Adams CMB irons, 5-PW, KBS C Taper regular shafts (110g)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degree, F grind, Dynamic Gold S200 shaft
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
    Ben Hogan TK wedge, 59 degree, KBS black wedge shaft
    TaylorMade TP Chaska putter, sliver, 34 inches
  • Sir edward of putternutSir edward of putternut DARTH SMUG Members Posts: 1,366 ✭✭
    Mp14 and mp29 are the ****.

Mp5 is my gamer.

Mp33 is fantastic as well. I like them more than the mp4.
    Mizuno mp-5(px 5.5, 4-pw)
    Adams Pro 19'
    Hogan 51,55
    Callaway 60 pm grind
    Byron Morgan 007
    Callaway EpicSZ 9.0
    Mizuno JPX 900 3w

• BCULAWBCULAW Orlando, FLMembers Posts: 3,666 ✭✭
    I am a big fan of the 14s and 4s. That said, my current gamers are the 18s and I’m not sure how they could be improved upon. Looks and feel are too notch and they might be the best at address and through the turf.
  • wam78wam78 Members Posts: 309 ✭✭
    BCULAW wrote:

I am a big fan of the 14s and 4s. That said, my current gamers are the 18s and I’m not sure how they could be improved upon. Looks and feel are too notch and they might be the best at address and through the turf.

They really nailed the transition from 8-pw for the 18’s. They look incredible at address!
    Driver: Bridgestone j715 B5 9* GD Tour AD MJ 6s
    Fairway: 816 Alpha 15* GD Tour AD MJ 7s
    Driving Iron: Mizuno MP H5 2i Fujikara Pro 2.0 85 Hybrid
    Irons: 4-pw Bridgestone Tour B X-CB Modus 120s
    Wedges: Testing
    Putter: Bettinardi bb32 *2010 model
  • skisnutzskisnutz Members Posts: 225 ✭✭
    mp4
    Ping G400 Max 9.5* TPT Golf 16 MKP-MT-SW
    Ping G400 14.5* TPT Golf 15 LKP-MT-SW
    Ping G400 Hybrid 22* Kuro Kage Silver 80s
    Srixon U85 19* Graphite Design Tour AD-95x
    Srixon 585 5-P N.S. Pro Modus Tour 105s
    Cleveland RTX-4  50, 54, 58 N.S. Pro Modus Wedge 115
    Scotty Cameron California Del Mar Custom
    Srixon Z-Star XV 
  • PlayfromtheBrainPlayfromtheBrain Members Posts: 184 ✭✭
    edited Jan 3, 2019 12:39am #15
    MBs are nice but the 64 is the clear upgrade from what you have been using for so many years. I think you'll find that they are just what you needed to replace your 60s. The 64 is absolutely phenomenal and can be found for a good deal in great shape.
  • balls_deepballs_deep Members Posts: 695 ✭✭
    How are the 32s for having a touch of forgiveness mixed in? A nice 2-PW set near me for cheap I'm thinking of grabbing as a back up set/improver set.
    Cobra F9 Speedback 9° Tour Spec Atmos Black 6x
    Titleist 917F2 15.75° Aldila Rogue Black 70s
    Titleist 816H1 20° & 23° Accra FX200H M4
    Ping iBlade 4-PW DGS300
    Vokey SM7 50F 54S 58D DGS200
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 350g 34.5"
    Pro V1x

Currently - 8.7
  • kro88kro88 Members Posts: 137 ✭✭

Warrick wrote:

4's feel

5's forgiveness

18's looks

I agree with this as well. feel of the 4's may be the best they've ever done. The 5's although not all that much different looking seem to be playable to so many more golfers. may be your best bet
    Bag of tricks - in Mackenzie Walker
    Driver: Ping G400 LST 10 +1 w/Fuji Speeder 661 Evo IV X
    Wood: Titleist 913 F2 19 w/Diamana S+ Blue 72s
    Irons: Miura CB-1957 w/KBS Tour Stiff 3iron -1 flat, Miura 1957 Baby Blades w/KBS Tour Stiff 4-PW -1 flat
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey Design V grind oil can 54 - 2 flt -1 wk w/KBS 610, Titleist Vokey Design Low Bounc K oil can 60 -2 flt w/KBS Hi-rev, Taylormade Hi-Toe 64 w/KBS Hi-Rev
    Putter: Mizuno TPM3 33.5 Inches, w tungsten powder in hosel, SS 3.0 grip
    Ball: Titleist Pro-V1X
  • msd71msd71 Members Posts: 712 ✭✭
    edited Jan 3, 2019 9:45am #18
    hypergolf wrote:

The MP 60 has a very low center of gravity. If you really like them, I'd try to hunt down another set of them. If not, the next 4 lowest center of gravity MP's among newer offerings are:

- MP 54

- MP 53

- MP 4

- MP 64
    msd71 wrote:

hypergolf wrote:

The MP 60 has a very low center of gravity. If you really like them, I'd try to hunt down another set of them. If not, the next 4 lowest center of gravity MP's among newer offerings are:

- MP 54

- MP 53

- MP 4

- MP 64

So if you're a lower ball hitting these will be most playable?
    Ping iBlade 4-PW DGS300
    Pro V1x

Currently - 8.7
  • scruffynickscruffynick Members Posts: 1,492 ✭✭
    Tp9.... Perfect blade
    balls_deep wrote:

msd71 wrote:

hypergolf wrote:

- MP 54

- MP 53

- MP 4

- MP 64

Low CG will encourage a higher ball flight with less spin. Low CG also tends to feel better for "pickers" who don't hit down forcefully. I don't know anything about the OP's game but these I think would tend to play the most similar to the 60.

Going back further, two blades that have lower CG than the MP-60 are the MP-33 and the MP-14, both very highly regarded offerings from Mizuno. Coincidence?
  • hypergolfhypergolf Members Posts: 1,222 ✭✭
    msd71 wrote:

balls_deep wrote:

msd71 wrote:

hypergolf wrote:

- MP 54

- MP 53

- MP 4

- MP 64

Low CG will encourage a higher ball flight with less spin. Low CG also tends to feel better for "pickers" who don't hit down forcefully. I don't know anything about the OP's game but these I think would tend to play the most similar to the 60.

Going back further, two blades that have lower CG than the MP-60 are the MP-33 and the MP-14, both very highly regarded offerings from Mizuno. Coincidence?

You are right. I don't create huge divots. So i should test out irons that have low cg after reading what you have advised. Where can i find out cg comparison charts for Mizuno irons?
    hypergolf wrote:

msd71 wrote:

balls_deep wrote:

msd71 wrote:

hypergolf wrote:

- MP 54

- MP 53

- MP 4

- MP 64

You are right. I don't create huge divots. So i should test out irons that have low cg after reading what you have advised. Where can i find out cg comparison charts for Mizuno irons?

https://www.golfworks.com/images/art/MPF_MIZUNO.pdf

Look at the column "actual VCOG".

I don't pay attention to the overall MPF rating at all but certain individual measures like the VCOG and the MOI are useful.

Interesting that the MP-18 SC, which many complain is pretty tough to hit, has the highest VCOG of any Mizuno iron.
    msd71 wrote:

https://www.golfwork.../MPF_MIZUNO.pdf

I don't pay attention to the overall MPF rating at all but certain individual measures like the VCOG and the MOI are useful.

Interesting that the MP-18 SC, which many complain is pretty tough to hit, has the highest VCOG of any Mizuno iron.

Yeah. I realize MPF is highly controversial on here, but I've found it to be pretty accurate in terms of what I've hit. That said, I find my i200 as forgiving as GI irons and they are rated in the mid 400s.
    Ping iBlade 4-PW DGS300
    Pro V1x

Currently - 8.7
  • BCULAWBCULAW Orlando, FLMembers Posts: 3,666 ✭✭
  • mesegrnmesegrn mesegrn Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭
    msd71 wrote:

Thanks msd71. I will check it out!
    balls_deep wrote:

msd71 wrote:

Yeah. I realize MPF is highly controversial on here, but I've found it to be pretty accurate in terms of what I've hit. That said, I find my i200 as forgiving as GI irons and they are rated in the mid 400s.

I find MPF spot on for when buying wood shafts, especially when you can't test them out.
  • dparkdpark Members Posts: 2,532 ✭✭
    Picked up a set of MP-68s recently with ProjectX 5.5 shafts. So good, they kicked my MP-14s to the curb (currently in the BST)

5e46a0bf35658a1a49d16b7b96dc0ee3.jpg
    Old stuff:
    1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver
    1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood
    1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
    1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E
    1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
    1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
    Cobra ZL 10.5 driver
    Adams 5050 16 fairway wood
    Adams A2P 20* hybrid
    Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60
    Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Napa
  • HaleboppHalebopp Members Posts: 2,806 ✭✭
    balls_deep wrote:

How are the 32s for having a touch of forgiveness mixed in? A nice 2-PW set near me for cheap I'm thinking of grabbing as a back up set/improver set.

Get 'em while you can! They are beautiful, easy to hit, feel great and look sweeeeeet! I sold my beat-up set when I moved to the MP-4s, which I'll never sell. The most beautiful and best-feeling set of irons I've ever come across.
    Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
    ST180, 8.5º / 917 F2, 16.5º / MP-H5, 21º / MP-4, 4-PW / MP-T5 50.07 / FG Tour PMP: 55.12, 59.10 / Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4
    WITB Link
  • rushfan96rushfan96 Members Posts: 595 ✭✭
    Played with Mizzy29s for quite awhile and I loved them. However some don’t like the offset in the shorter irons. Mp14s are pretty nice too.

Rushfan