Golf in Mexico - Riviera Maya

Riviera Maya, Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Akumal - Three courses I played.

Comments

• I_HATE_SNOWI_HATE_SNOW Members Posts: 3,279 ✭✭
    Cozumel Country Club, fantastic people there.
  • watershed8watershed8 Members Posts: 9
    My friend and I just played three courses in Riviera Maya, Mexico.

I decided on Moon Palace, Riviera Maya and Iberostar Parisio.

We used a Canadian online booking agency.

I've been visiting this area for more than ten years

Here are my thoughts on these three courses.

We played early each day and one thing to note is that all of these courses sent out twosomes and one time at moon palace we were backed up and decided to play with the twosome in front of us, which, after one hole, they came out and asked if we could continue in twos.

Also, even if you are the first off, doesn't mean your are in the free to zip around the track. They continually send twosomes off the back which is frustrating when you make the turn and all the sudden you're backed up.

Anyway, on to the reviews.

Moon palace was fantastic, great all inclusive with food stations every. The course maintenance was outstanding.

The layout was good, we played 27 holes. There were only a few holes that stood out though, not very interesting or dynamic. The greens were true but grabby. The ball just wasn't Rolling into the hole or breaking very much. Slow greens that were in good shape.

Riviera Maya was the prettiest course we played and the most stunning scenery. There were a few very memorable holes. This course wasn't in the best shape though. The greens were recently scissors and rolled so much that the dirt/mud was exposed but they did roll true, just didn't break, hard to read and tough to get a feel for the green. We did play the par three course after and it was fun and the greens were in much better shape.

Iberostar, the Pete Dye course was hands down our favorite, we could have played here twice . The greens were fantastic, really fantastic. They were fast, true and rolled out great. My course at home we play the greens around 11-12 and these greens were a 10 easy. The routing was really nice, the tee boxes were next to the greens. Visually you definitely know you are on a Pete Dye course. Every single hole was stunning but you knew right away where you had to go. Amazing greens, amazing staff, amazing lay out.

• Tha CarterTha Carter Members Posts: 12 ✭✭
    I will be staying in Mayakoba at the end of February. I have time for two rounds, and one will be at Camaleon.

Any opinions on what my best option is for a second round? Want something close to our hotel so deciding between:

Hard Rock Golf Club

Grand Coral

Iberostar Playa Parasio

Second round at Camaleon
  • KaymerGolf88KaymerGolf88 Members Posts: 12
    I played the Hard Rock Golf Club last summer and it wasn't anything special. We rented clubs and they weren't the greatest. Balls were beyond pricey (something like $20-25/sleeve for a mid-level ball). Course was in decent shape and didn't detract from anything, but the layout was pretty blah.
  • QuasimotoQuasimoto Members Posts: 877 ✭✭
    I'm going in Feb to Riviera, not too far from El Tinto.

Planning on 3-4 rounds here as it is included in the hotel package.

It used to be the TPC but that has now gone to Mayakoba, which was quoted out at $328.00 US. Nyet!
    Srixon 785 9.5 HC HZRDUS 6.0 / Cobra F9 9 HZRDUS Smoke
    Titleist TS3 13.5 75g S EvenFlo
    Taylormade GAPR Hi 3,4,5 70g KBS R
    Srixon z785 6-AW Nippon Tour 105 R
    Titleist SM7 54 & 58 Nippon Tour 105 S
    Odyssey Stroke Labs #7, Evenroll #5
    TM TP5, Titleist AVX
  • SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,240 ClubWRX
    Tha Carter wrote:

I will be staying in Mayakoba at the end of February. I have time for two rounds, and one will be at Camaleon.

Any opinions on what my best option is for a second round? Want something close to our hotel so deciding between:

Hard Rock Golf Club

Grand Coral

Iberostar Playa Parasio

Second round at Camaleon

Play el Camaleon twice. You likely will blow your brains out the first time around and have more fun the 2nd time once you know where you shouldn't hit it. Watch out for the snakes. Came across a Boa Constrictor on the 16th hole (about 6 ft long) and also a black snake (their version of the water moccasin) on the same hole the 2nd time around.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Ping Forged 52°, ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.5"
    MCC Align Midsize
    Moving to the bench:
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Vokey SM2 52º cc
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
  • divebreckdivebreck Members Posts: 367 ✭✭
    [background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]Iberostar Playa Parasio is a great golf course! We were just there 2 weeks ago and its our 5th time visiting that resort. The course is in GREAT shape and its a test., believe its 74.3 and 137. Go you will not be disappointed. [/background]
    Socrates wrote:

Tha Carter wrote:

Hard Rock Golf Club

Grand Coral

Iberostar Playa Parasio

Second round at Camaleon

Play el Camaleon twice. You likely will blow your brains out the first time around and have more fun the 2nd time once you know where you shouldn't hit it. Watch out for the snakes. Came across a Boa Constrictor on the 16th hole (about 6 ft long) and also a black snake (their version of the water moccasin) on the same hole the 2nd time around.

Let the clubhouse know about Boa's. Invasive species that they will remove.
  • SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,240 ClubWRX

Socrates wrote:

Tha Carter wrote:

Hard Rock Golf Club

Grand Coral

Iberostar Playa Parasio

Second round at Camaleon

Boa's are indigenous to that area. Not an invasive species. Humans on the other hand...
    Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Ping Forged 52°, ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.5"
    MCC Align Midsize
    Moving to the bench:
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Vokey SM2 52º cc
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
    Socrates wrote:

Socrates wrote:

Tha Carter wrote:

Hard Rock Golf Club

Grand Coral

Iberostar Playa Parasio

Second round at Camaleon

Boa's are indigenous to that area. Not an invasive species. Humans on the other hand...

Sorry, I was thinking of Cozumel where the boa was introduced in 1971 and has been a menace.