Looking for Recommendations - Kiawah

RoodyRoody You ride her until she bucks you or don't ride at allMembers Posts: 1,061 ✭✭
Hi folks,

I am at the beginning stages of planning a trip for my wife and I to Kiawah this year. The plan is I will be able to play at least two rounds while there (possibly a third, but I won't hold my breath). Obviously the Ocean Course is on the agenda. And full disclosure: I was down in Charleston in May of 2018 with a buddy of mine, and I've already played the Ocean Course. But I would like to play it again.

That said, I'm trying to decide which of the other courses should be played as my 2nd round. Turtle Point and Osprey Point seem to be the two bigger names. Has anyone here played these courses, and if so which would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2
Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
Odyssey Black Series #7
Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges

Comments

• LithovtLithovt LithoVT Bristol, TNMembers Posts: 96 ✭✭
    It has been a few years since I played but my favorites after the Ocean Course were Cougar Point and Osprey Point (with edge to Cougar Point). Turtle Point was enjoyable and it has a couple of cool holes near the end of round that take you out to the beach, but overall layouts of Cougar and Osprey are better in my opinion.
    Driver: Cobra F7+ 10.5 Graphite Design Tour AD TP-7 S
    Fairway: Cobra F7 (5/6) 18.5 Diamana D+ 80 Stiff
    Hybrid: Cobra F7 (3/4) 20.5, Diamana D+ 90 Stiff
    Irons: 4-pw Wilson FG Tour V6, TT DG AMT TI S400
    Wedges: 50 (Cleveland RTX4, stock s400 shaft), 56 (Vokey SM6 m-grind, stock wedge flex shaft), 62 (Vokey SM6, stock wedge flex shaft)
    Putter Ping Anser 2 35"
  • golfingrongolfingron Members Posts: 136 ✭✭
    I prefer Osprey as the second best. The greens have more contours and I feel its a better overall course. The two privates on the Island are fantastic if you have access. Also consider doing a replay at the ocean as it will likely be the same price as playing a non ocean course round another day.
  • PapaJohickPapaJohick ShortKnocker Bombs Charleston, SCMembers Posts: 4,524 ✭✭
    I would put cougar and Osprey above turtle. I actually think oak is better than turtle.
    Forever Changing at this point.......
  • LeftDaddyLeftDaddy Members Posts: 742 ✭✭
    I liked Turtle, but admittedly didn’t play Osprey. I personally don’t think you can go all that wrong at Kiawah. I LOVE it there.

It is a bit of a hike from Kiawah, but I was really impressed with Wild Dunes up in Isle of Palms. Just gives you another ocean course option.
    Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1
  • burnsniperburnsniper Members Posts: 538 ✭✭
    I just play the Ocean over and over. The ~$100 delta (not including caddie tip) is worth it (or you could say the other courses aren’t worth the ~$150 price). If you get the first tee time of the day (7:30 ish) you can finish in 3.5 hours and spend the rest of the day at the beach with your family.
  • krtgolfingkrtgolfing Members Posts: 1,048 ✭✭
    1. Ocean

2. Cougar or Osprey

3. Turtle or Oak
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero Driver
    Taylor Made M2 3 Wood
    Taylor Made M2 3 Hybrid
    Taylor Made PSI 4 Iron - Approach Wedge
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54* & 60*
    Odyssey Works Red #1W S
  • RoodyRoody You ride her until she bucks you or don't ride at all Members Posts: 1,061 ✭✭
    krtgolfing wrote:

1. Ocean

2. Cougar or Osprey

3. Turtle or Oak

I think this seems to be the overall consensus. Play Ocean, and then a coin flip between Cougar/Osprey. Or if I can convince the wife, play all three!

Thanks all! Appreciate the input.
    Titleist ProV1x
    Titleist 915 D2
    Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
    Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
    Odyssey Black Series #7
  • Scooter321Scooter321 Members Posts: 392 ✭✭
    Roody wrote:

krtgolfing wrote:

1. Ocean

2. Cougar or Osprey

3. Turtle or Oak

I think this seems to be the overall consensus. Play Ocean, and then a coin flip between Cougar/Osprey. Or if I can convince the wife, play all three!

Thanks all! Appreciate the input.

Ocean obviously #1. Osprey for me is an easy #2. Turtle point is fine, last few holes are cool, rest is ok. Osprey has also been in better condition than Turtle also which is an added bonus.
    Titleist 915D2 9.5° Aldila Rogue Silver 60X
    Sonartec NP-99 15° Aldila NV 75S
    Titleist 818H1 21° Mitsubishi Tensei White 90HY X
    Ping i200 4-UW Project X 6.0
    Titleist Vokey SM7 54-14 F Grind and 58-10 S Grind WedgeWorks Raw Project X 6.0
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Red
    Gauge Design GAA3 ETBW Putter

• hangontighthangontight Members Posts: 553 ✭✭
    Run a search in the Carolinas “region” section. Lots of threads on this topic
  • baboya96baboya96 Members Posts: 53 ✭✭
    OP - is your wife going to tag along when you play 2nd round? If so, i’d Vote for Turtle point. 4 holes by the ocean in back 9 is a much IMO. Plenty of photo opportunities w/ your wife. Clubhouse is also pretty with good dining option for after round.

Cougar point is great but club house is still under construction. Not sure you get the ‘full’ country club experience. I didn’t love it as much.

Osprey point is fund. Lot of alligator watching. BBQ dining at club house is great as well.

I was recently there in early December and played oak, osprey, turtle and ocean. You really can’t go wrong w/ any of these courses. Enjoy!
  • RoodyRoody You ride her until she bucks you or don't ride at all Members Posts: 1,061 ✭✭
    baboya96 wrote:

OP - is your wife going to tag along when you play 2nd round? If so, i’d Vote for Turtle point. 4 holes by the ocean in back 9 is a much IMO. Plenty of photo opportunities w/ your wife. Clubhouse is also pretty with good dining option for after round.

At this point the plan is she'll be at the spa for both rounds, but it's always subject to change. A buddy of mine who lives nearby in Charleston is going to drive out and meet me for both tee times.

And speaking of which, as of yesterday the trip is booked. I'll be playing Osprey and Ocean. Thanks again to everyone who chimed in with recommendations.
    Titleist ProV1x
    Titleist 915 D2
    Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
    Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
    Odyssey Black Series #7