Cameron Custom Shop Worth It?

kb7kb7 Members Posts: 6 ✭✭
Recently snagged a studio design 1 that I'm going to work in to the bag this year. Im considering sending it in to the custom shop for authentication, a grip, paint fill, shaft band, and maybe a headcover. The original shaft band is in tact, but pretty beat up, the grip has been replaced with a Danny Edwards Royal grip, the paint fill in the bottom is off ("studio design" and crown is white instead of red), and the shaft has been cut to play around 33.5". Was wondering what experiences people have had with the custom shop as far as turn around time and whether the authentication would be worth it or not.

Comments

• artsmart73artsmart73 the art of golf Members Posts: 865 ✭✭
    Personally I wouldn’t waste the cash. I would just redo the paint fill and put a grip on. Finish looks fine.

But I’m sure you will do what you want.
    907 D2 9.5*
    910 Fd 15*
    910 H 21*
    712 U 4i
    MP 57 5i-6i
    MP 59 7i-8i
    MP 15 9i
    SM6 47*F08 SM6 52*F12
    SM6 56*M08 SM5 60*K11
    Studio Stainless NP2
    Chrome soft

• Matt JMatt J Members Posts: 8,734 ✭✭
    Custom shop is slow and expensive. Buy what you want off of eBay and do it yourself or take it to a local pro shop/golf shop/big box.

OTR putters are not worth more with a COA only Tour putters.
  • BottleCapBottleCap Members Posts: 1,347 ✭✭
    With the current prices, I'd only send in an OTR if you have lots of money.

I think BOS is the best place to send a carbon OTR for work.
    Titleist TS2 GD TourAD DI 7S
    Titleist 917 F3 GD TourAD IZ 8S
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3-4 DG AMT S300
    Mizuno MP-18 5-PW DG S400
    Vokey SM7 54M and 60M
    Cameron Newport 2 CT
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • DavidvDavidv Members Posts: 734 ✭✭
    Waste of money.
  • ckayckay Members Posts: 3,932 ✭✭
    edited Jan 3, 2019 11:35pm #6
    I don’t think they will touch that putter for customization considering it’s an aftermarket finish. In addition the cost isn’t worth it. All said and done you could buy two more SDs for the cost of the Custom Shop services.
    Taylormade M4 440 10* Tensei White Pro 60TX
    Taylormade M2 Tour 16.5* Atmos Blue 7x
    Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 2 KBS Hybrid Proto 85x
    Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X
    Vokey CF 52F/56M/60M S400 Onyx
    Cameron Cami & Co Newport Beach 34/350

WITB Link
  • ponti33602ponti33602 Members Posts: 84 ✭✭
    Agree waste of money as it adds no financial value to an OTR. However there could be other reasons. Mine was that my wife never heard of LaMont, Byron etc but she knows a Scotty. So her perfect birthday present made it worth it otherwise I agree completely.

0c5442d64c20fbad146e154535727404.jpgc0ffb3f0143faec7a72f10e59b0e3b0b.jpg
    Ping ISI BeNi 3-LW
    Ping Zing 3-SW
    Ping Pal 4 BeCu (3)
    Ping Scottsdale Anser BeNi **Sold**
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2
    Machine M10 Adjuster CU
    MannKrafted MA/66 SS **Sold**
  • VNutzVNutz Members Posts: 6,156 ✭✭
    They're fine if you want a new grip and cover, and then the paintfill is free. I wouldn't pay them to paint a putter though, and I'd skip the COA as well. Certainly don't use them if you're considering a restoration as better options exist.
  • daleheaddalehead Members Posts: 1,488 ✭✭
    COA is a waste of money for an off the rack putter. The things you're talking about, grip, paint fill, shaft have cheaper options than the Custom Shop. Shaft band, meh. It will wear off eventually anyway. If you want customization like initials or Scotty stamps the Custom Shop is an expensive and slow option.
  • kb7kb7 Members Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I was really considering it since it's the offseason and for some reason I really like the school bus yellow matador grip and don't want to play $80 for one on ebay.
  • ckayckay Members Posts: 3,932 ✭✭
    kb7 wrote:

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I was really considering it since it's the offseason and for some reason I really like the school bus yellow matador grip and don't want to play $80 for one on ebay.

By the time you factor in shipping both ways and the Studio Store charging tax, you will be at $80 anyway.
    Taylormade M4 440 10* Tensei White Pro 60TX
    Taylormade M2 Tour 16.5* Atmos Blue 7x
    Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 2 KBS Hybrid Proto 85x
    Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X
    Vokey CF 52F/56M/60M S400 Onyx
    Cameron Cami & Co Newport Beach 34/350

WITB Link
  • homergolfhomergolf Bay Village, OHMembers Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    ckay wrote:

I don’t think they will touch that putter for customization considering it’s an aftermarket finish. In addition the cost isn’t worth it. All said and done you could buy two more SDs for the cost of the Custom Shop services.

Pretty sure this is accurate. I don’t think they work on altered putters, like the finish and the fact it has been shortened.

They did work on my GoLo and I was very happy with it though.
    Ping G400, 9, adjusted to 10
    Epic Flash 3-wood, 15
    Rogue 5-wood, 19
    Epic 4 hybrid, 23
    AP3, 5-48*
    SM6 54, 10
    SM6 60, 8
    SC GoLo 3, 33"

...for now
  • One_Putt_BlunderOne_Putt_Blunder Members Posts: 10,810 ✭✭
    BOS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Custom shop for OTR putters. More finish options and way faster.
    [twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
    10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
    14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
    18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
    RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
    Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
    Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
    WITB Link
  • Scotty1140Scotty1140 Members Posts: 4,463 ✭✭
    homergolf wrote:

ckay wrote:

Pretty sure this is accurate. I don’t think they work on altered putters, like the finish and the fact it has been shortened.

They did work on my GoLo and I was very happy with it though.

They will IF you pay for restoration to return the putter to an “authentic” state.

With aftermarket work, no you’re correct. They won’t touch it.
  • okie21okie21 Members Posts: 124 ✭✭
    I sent mine in Dec, they had it in hand for less than 2 weeks and sent back, but didn't do a full resto on it - just grip, headcover, paintfill, stamping. I didn't trust anyone around here stamping it, and didn't know of any good options to send it to. Agree that COA is wasteful for OTR putters.
    Titleist [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]917 D2 9.5 deg (Diamana White 70 S)[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ping G400 17 deg (Oban Kiyoshi White 04)[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] 718 AP1s 4-GW (DG AMT White S300), 1 1/4" over with 1/4" intervals 8-9i and shorter[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Vokey SM7 52 deg Jet Black (DG Onyx S400) [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Vokey SM '09 56 deg tour chrome (DG Wedge flex)[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Vokey SM7 60 deg Jet Black (KBS C Taper Lite S) all wedges same length as GW[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Scotty 2018 Newport 3, fresh from Custom Shop, std length and lie[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Vice Pro Plus [/font]
  • SkhackerSkhacker The Minimalist Golfer Members Posts: 1,493 ✭✭
    If you've got a real Scotty (ex: anything old school carbon or even a more recent, but non-insert putter) then yes it's worth it imho. I don't think he'll ever made a great retail putter ever again. So sending in an older, good retail model to get a new, but older model is a win. I'd much rather spend $290 restoration on a classic older model and have it returned to me like new then spend that or more on the brand new stuff he's mailing in.
  • oneaugustaoneaugusta Members Posts: 3,028 ✭✭
    You can get some cool paint a stamp, new shaft and a grip for $290, it's a complete rip off but many think it's the way to go.
    Titleist 917 D2 GOGO 5 6S
    TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
    Miura CB57's Nippon Modus 120
    Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125
    David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
    David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
    David Mills GS Ming V3 flow neck
    Byron Rincon DH89
  • krtgolfingkrtgolfing Members Posts: 1,048 ✭✭
    I would go with putter spa or BOS if I was to get aftermarket work done. A crap load cheaper and the workmanship is just as good.
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero Driver
    Taylor Made M2 3 Wood
    Taylor Made M2 3 Hybrid
    Taylor Made PSI 4 Iron - Approach Wedge
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54* & 60*
    Odyssey Works Red #1W S
    BOS refinish

C6GgFpoVMAAZRM0.jpg
    18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
    RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
    WITB Link
  • cma8516cma8516 Members Posts: 198 ✭✭
    plenty of other options out there as others have said - ive used putterspa for a couple of mine. unless your have something your super sentimental about and want a full refinish i wouldnt bother.
  • kb7kb7 Members Posts: 6 ✭✭
    That finish from BOS looks great. Is that their black oxide?
    kb7 wrote:

That finish from BOS looks great. Is that their black oxide?

If that was directed at my circa above no it is chocolate patina, a deeper oil can finish.
    18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
    RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
    WITB Link