PSA: Ebay automatically collecting Sales Tax on purchases shipped to certain states now

vci15vci15 Members Posts: 155 ✭✭
FYI - Ebay collects Sales Tax from Buyer, the Seller isn't really involved in managing the taxation. Below is the roll-out for collecting taxes. Kinda makes purchasing used Golf goods less attractive now as Seattle (where I live) for example has a 10.1% Sales Tax.

State | Effective Date

Minnesota | January 1, 2019

Washington | January 1, 2019

Iowa | February 1, 2019

Connecticut | April 1, 2019

New Jersey | May 1, 2019

Alabama | July 1, 2019

Oklahoma | July 1, 2019

Pennsylvania | July 1, 2019
Callaway Epic 9 - Tour AD-IZ 6 SR
Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 15 - Oban Purple 65 04
Callaway Big Bertha OS 19 - Accra FX200H
Callaway Apex CF16 - Steelfiber i110r
Cleveland RTX-3 50, 54, 58
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball 34"

Comments

• gibbiesmallsgibbiesmalls Members Posts: 451 ✭✭
    Unfortunate! Last month I tried purchasing a stitch bag (they're in NC I believe), and I was being charged 10% sales tax as a CA resident. That was a deal breaker for me, so I didn't.

Starting to see the affects of South Dakota v. Wayfair (supreme court ruling re: sales taxes).
  • anthanth From the Land Down Under Members Posts: 2,774 ✭✭
    FYI this is happening in Australia now too. EBay is charging 10% GST on items from overseas. This is due to a change in federal legislation, effectively known as the “Google Tax”.

Not sure how much it has deterred online shopping. I suspect a lot of people buy things internationally because they’re simply not readily available in local stores
    Callaway Rogue 10.5
    Callaway BB Alpha 816 16
    Srixon Z H45 19 Hybrid
    Srixon Z U45 23 Utility
    Srixon Z 765/965 5 - PW
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 50 & 54
    TaylorMade Milled Grind Hi Toe 58
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Red
    TaylorMade TP5
  • extrastiffextrastiff Members Posts: 863 ✭✭
    anth wrote:

FYI this is happening in Australia now too. EBay is charging 10% GST on items from overseas. This is due to a change in federal legislation, effectively known as the “Google Tax”.

Not sure how much it has deterred online shopping. I suspect a lot of people buy things internationally because they’re simply not readily available in local stores

So frustrating. Just let brick and mortar die. Mom and pop gotta evolve
    g400 max 9* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
    f8 15* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
    p790 4i | steelfiber 95x
    black utility onelength 22.5*, 26* | steelfiber 110x
    forged onelength 6i | steelfiber 110x
    p730 7i-pw | steelfiber 110x
    hi-toe 52*9, 56*8, 62*5 | steelfiber 110x
    columbus
    jumbomax tour medium grips
  • SoCalTitleistSoCalTitleist Members Posts: 3,255 ✭✭
    Global golf started doing this also . Killed a deal I wanted . For that I will buy local same day.

Some of these online places are going to loose a lot of sales. Amazon and eat willl her hit hard.
  • goondawg goondawg RIP my buddy Members Posts: 1,948 ✭✭
    edited Jan 5, 2019 9:09am #6
    extrastiff wrote:

anth wrote:

You’re not serious with your statement, are you?
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • ironmikesironmikes Members Posts: 1,429 ✭✭
    that looks like it affects me in PA. making buying stuff on Ebay less attractive .
  • Bimmer1Bimmer1 Members Posts: 2,538 ✭✭
    Global Golf and Callaway preowned hit me in TN now and that adds an additional 10% for me.
  • happygolferhappygolfer Golfer Members Posts: 529 ✭✭
    c'est la vie
    Ping G30 SF TEC
    Ping G 3 & 5 SF TEC Woods
    Ping G Tour 9 4 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-U
    Titleist Vokey SM6 54 & 58
    Ping TR Knome
  • eddiebigeddieeddiebigeddie Members Posts: 1,786 ✭✭
    GolfNow hit me yesterday with taxes. Apparently most states have found another way to screw us Americans
    Cobra F9...….…………………..Aldila Tour Blue 65
    Cobra F6 Baffler (17.5)…......…Project X HZRDUS Red 75
    Cobra F7 Hybrid (20.5).........….Aldila Tour Blue 85
    Mizuno JPX 919 HM (5 - Gw)…Project X LZ 6.5
    Cobra King Black (54/10)......….Project X LZ 6.5
    Taylormade Hi-Toe (60/10)........KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

[background=transparent]Machine M10 Adjuster (Damascus)[/background]

[background=transparent]Machine M10 Adjuster (303 Stainless-Naked)[/background]

[background=transparent]Machine M10 Fixer (303 Stainless-Torched)[/background]

Bennington LQO-9
    Grint...eddiebigeddie
    I don’t understand how some or the majority of you feel the internet sales tax is **** you. If it keeps more money in your hometown and out of the hands of companies like Amazon it’s a good thing. Personally, I hope it helps the local small businesses in my area. I’m not positive it will but I hope so.
    Working for a City govt, I can tell you these taxes will not be coming back to my town. I work in Recreation and this past year (July 2018) we had to start charging sales tax on everything...shelter rentals, kids registrations to our programs, etc. 100% of that money is going to the State of Ky and we will not see any of that. The thing I’ve learned over the last 17+ years in govt, this money goes to politicians and their wants and desires which are almost never involving the People.

Bennington LQO-9
    Grint...eddiebigeddie
    If you’re responding to me, I never said anything about the internet tax dollars coming to your specific town or city. Was simply stating it may lead to buying from the local guy more
    ^^^was replying to your statement (not trying to get into argument) just stating how I see how govt and taxes works (in my circle). Most of the taxes in place aren’t to help the local people they’re to help government get funding to do with as they please.

Thanks and have a great weekend.

Bennington LQO-9
    Grint...eddiebigeddie
    edited Jan 5, 2019 11:32am #15
    my beef is that Taxes in Pa never go where they supposed to be . our gas tax is very high and was claimed to go to keeping up the roads. check out the roads in PA , they are famous ( rightfully so ) for being terrible.

Would love to support a local business if I could but golf and fishing shops in my area do not exist, only DSG.
    ^^^my point exactly

Bennington LQO-9
    Grint...eddiebigeddie
  • augustgolfaugustgolf Golf with dignity Coastal NCMembers Posts: 3,898 ✭✭
    ironmikes wrote:
    my beef is that Taxes in Pa never go where they supposed to be . our gas tax is very high and was claimed to go to keeping up the roads. check out the roads in PA , they are famous ( rightfully so ) for being terrible.

Would love to support a local business if I could but golf and fishing shops in my area do not exist, only DSG.

I've said it before:

We have gotten EXACTLY what we wanted

Could have been supporting your local businesses all along
    Pings from the beginning

OGA member 1415
    or is it 1514...
    I don't remember exactly
    Can’t support local business if there’s never been that local business. There’s a lot of parts of the country that us guys simply can’t run out and try/buy clubs we have to rely on the Internet.

Bennington LQO-9
    Grint...eddiebigeddie
  • kcsfkcsf Members Posts: 1,057 ✭✭
    Well look at it like you're supporting your local economy now. Ebay collects your local taxes and remits them to your local government. Not as good as visiting your local brick and mortar, but if you don't have that option it's the next best thing.

I'm for the change. It's time the tax evasion ends as it's crushed local stores.
    TM M3 Green Mamba 60TX
    Taylormade M2 Tour HL 3w Green Mamba
    Ping i500 irons
    Ping Glide 2.0 50* & 56* wedges
    O-Works #7s red
  • ctwatkinsctwatkins Members Posts: 87 ✭✭
    State budgets are struggling nationwide. An ever growing number of states either are eliminating or reducing income taxes in favor of consumption based tax structures. E-Commerce kills consumption based tax structures where a lot of usage taxes are self-reported. Self-reporting on-line purchases to pay additional taxes is a joke. Who does that? IMO, the death of sales tax free internet purchases will sooner than later die a quick, rather than slow, death. Not a political statement nor taking a side on the issue, just stating the obvious.
    edited Jan 5, 2019 2:39pm #21

Can’t support local business if there’s never been that local business. There’s a lot of parts of the country that us guys simply can’t run out and try/buy clubs we have to rely on the Internet.

Exactly the case for me. no where local to buy/ try or club builders in my neck of the woods.
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,224 ✭✭
    I noticed last year in Ohio they started requiring residents to list exactly how much they had spent buying things on line and voluntarily pony up the state sales tax on those items and include it with their state income tax.

I of course declared everything like a good citizen that enjoys paying taxes.....cough, cough. ; )
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag

^^^was replying to your statement (not trying to get into argument) just stating how I see how govt and taxes works (in my circle). Most of the taxes in place aren’t to help the local people they’re to help government get funding to do with as they please.

Thanks and have a great weekend.

Nor am I and didn’t intend to come across as such. When speaking on a local guy benefiting I’m not specifically speaking of golf.
  • jolajola Members Posts: 401 ✭✭
    I got dinged last night.We already have a massive gas tax.
  • grewgrew Members Posts: 221 ✭✭
    my impulse purchases and online consumption is going to go way down now.
    Ping G400 LST Kyoshi Black 05
    Cobra F7 3 Wood HZRDUS Yellow
    Srixon z745 Nippon Modus Tour 105 (x)
    52/58 Ping Forged Wedges
    Ping Vault ZB
  • cxxcxx Members Posts: 3,096 ✭✭
    extrastiff wrote:

anth wrote:

FYI this is happening in Australia now too. EBay is charging 10% GST on items from overseas. This is due to a change in federal legislation, effectively known as the "Google Tax".

Not sure how much it has deterred online shopping. I suspect a lot of people buy things internationally because they're simply not readily available in local stores

This has nothing to do with saving local retail although they may get one more swing at the pinata. It's all about saving state and local tax revenue.
  • cxxcxx Members Posts: 3,096 ✭✭
    edited Jan 8, 2019 5:46pm #27
    So, as I understand it, if I were to travel to the seller's location and bought something, the seller would collect and remit sales tax to his local and state government. I, as the buyer, would not owe any tax to the state or locality where I live (assuming both are different than the sellers)

I would think we could meet in a no-tax zone, say Paris TX (just picked that out of the air) where we would conduct our transaction tax free. Now why couldn't we do that virtually. Doesn't seem any more strange than what corporations do every day.
  • 14mh14mh Members Posts: 276 ✭✭
    cxx wrote:

So, as I understand it, if I were to travel to the seller's location and bought something, the seller would collect and remit sales tax to his local and state government. I, as the buyer, would not owe any tax to the state or locality where I live (assuming both are different than the sellers)

I would think we could meet in a no-tax zone, say Paris TX (just picked that out of the air) where we would conduct our transaction tax free. Now why couldn't we do that virtually. Doesn't seem any more strange than what corporations do every day.

I think it has to do with where you have your shipping address. I bet if you had it listed in a place that doesn't currently collect that tax you wouldn't be paying any.

I could be totally wrong with this.
  • vci15vci15 Members Posts: 155 ✭✭
    14mh wrote:

cxx wrote:

I think it has to do with where you have your shipping address. I bet if you had it listed in a place that doesn't currently collect that tax you wouldn't be paying any.

I could be totally wrong with this.

Based on shipping address. If I buy something to be shipped to non sales-tax state then it won't charge sales tax.
    Callaway Epic 9 - Tour AD-IZ 6 SR
    Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 15 - Oban Purple 65 04
    Callaway Big Bertha OS 19 - Accra FX200H
    Callaway Apex CF16 - Steelfiber i110r
    Cleveland RTX-3 50, 54, 58
    Odyssey Versa 2-Ball 34"
  • cane700cane700 Members Posts: 2,016 ✭✭
    This has nothing to do with saving brick and mortar. It's the government wanting more of your money to waste.
  • VNutzVNutz Members Posts: 6,101 ✭✭
    cane700 wrote:

This has nothing to do with saving brick and mortar. It's the government wanting more of your money to waste.

I'm shocked Illinois hasn't done this yet.