Difference between Titleist and Mizuno irons

2»

Comments

• uwhockey14uwhockey14 Members Posts: 258 ✭✭
    edited Jan 10, 2019 9:41pm #32
    dpark wrote:

uwhockey14 wrote:

ZTB481 wrote:

I love Mizuno blades, I have played MP14s, 29s, 30s, 32s, 33s, 37s, 60s, 67s, 68s and 69s. I currently have a set of Titleist 681s with Project X 6.0 shafts that are the sweetest feeling irons I have ever played. I thought I read somewhere where Titleist puts a hickory dowel in the hosel of the iron to improve feel .

They did with the 681's and the 681 T's because that's what Tiger liked and it did make them feel awesome but I have a couple sets of 681's without the Dowel in them and they feel awesome as well....

maybe someone on here knows the answer to this but the Titleist forged Irons in the time of the 681's, like the 690's, 680's and 670's all had a much better feet to them than their Irons from 2005 on, not sure if the forging house changed or what.... IMO the pre-2005 era of Titleist Forgings was the golden age!

I believe the 681s were forged by Hoffman (which is now closed down), but not sure about the rest of them. And I agree with you that the 68x irons did feel great (I played the 681s and 680s) and that "something" went amiss when they started the 7xx line of irons. But they got it right with the 716s. Closest iron to the 681 IMHO. Haven't hit the 718s so I can't comment there.

I believe Larry Bobka debunked the Hoffman forging of the 681 line, Hoffman did the original Titleist Forged wedges that had ELK, Curtis Strange, DLIII and Duval models tho. I believe the 681 line were forged in Japan, or maybe Tiger's Titleist Irons were forged in Japan, at least that's what I remember him talking about on the gear dive podcast..... I'd be interested to know what changed with Titleist Irons after the 600 series because they surely are not the same quality.....
    Titleist 913D2/D3 (8.5) Stiff Diamana
    Titleist 906F2 15* Aldila NV Stiff
    Cleveland LDi 21*
    Titleist 681 4-PW (Project X 5.5)
    Mizuno MP T-Series Forged Wedges (56,60)
    Cobra Greg Norman (U-Model) Putter "Boss of the moss"
    Ping Hoofer (Wisconsin Badgers)
    Driver Cover (Black Lab)
    3-Wood Cover (USA knit pom pom)
    Putter Cover (Team USA 2016 Ryder Cup)
  • GDTBATHGDTBATH Members Posts: 125 ✭✭
    I love Mizuno. Bought a set of the MP 18’s and more recent, the JPX919’s, so my next statement may surprise, but I wonder if our perception that “Mizuno feels softer,” isn’t driven by their own marketing? Just a thought. Could be way off base.
  • JCM96JCM96 Members Posts: 119 ✭✭
    Love Mizunos, they're butter soft. But if you hit off mats ever, that softness comes at a price. When I started to notice some shot flight changes I had lofts and lies checked on my Mizzy's and some of them moved close to 2 degrees. Decided to try AP2s, which are not quite as soft, but definitely move a lot less at the end of the year. Been with AP2s ever since.
    Driver: Taylormade M1 460 Tour Issue (Kuro Kage DC XT 70TX)
    3W: Exotics XCG6 15*
    3H: Exotics XCG6
    Irons: 4-PW Titleist 714 AP2 (TT TI S400)
    Wedges: Vokey SM4 52* 56* 60*
    Putter: SC Futura 5w Flow Neck by Slighter
    Ball: Titleist Pro V1X
  • smvolkmasmvolkma ClubWRX Posts: 97 ✭✭
    I much prefer my 919 forged over my 718 ap2. Better feel and performance. Ap2s always look great but do not perform for me.
  • Rk5Rk5 Members Posts: 65 ✭✭
    edited Jan 11, 2019 6:06am #36
    I just changed from Mizuno MP60s (worn out) to 718cbs, which are very similar designs even though years apart:

Titleist - as mentioned, more "clicky" but still feels good. Better turf interaction. More modern/compact shape.

Mizuno - butter soft, funny looking PW

Performance is identical, as you'd expect from this type of club with the same lofts.

I like the look of the titleists (edit: from address position) more but think mizunos have more shelf appeal, something cool about being forged in Japan!
    Taylormade 2017 M1 9.5 Tensei Blue CK 60 Stiff
    Callaway XR 3 wood Project X LZ 6.0
    Titleist 980F 19 degree Grafalloy Prolite
    Titleist 816 H2 21* Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec HB 8S
    Mizuno MP-60 4-PW DG S300
    Vokey SM6 F Grind Steel Grey 52.08*
    Vokey SM6 M Grind Black 58.08*
    Scotty Cameron Red X5
  • Gary GutfulGary Gutful Members Posts: 1,170 ✭✭
    Mizuno feels like roast beef and gravy.

Titleist feels like roast pork and gravy.
  • sheldonjhackersheldonjhacker Members Posts: 3,700 ✭✭
    smvolkma wrote:

I much prefer my 919 forged over my 718 ap2. Better feel and performance. Ap2s always look great but do not perform for me.

Forgiveness difference ?
  • balls_deepballs_deep Members Posts: 551 ✭✭

smvolkma wrote:

Forgiveness difference ?

The Mizuno will be slightly more forgiving. I found the 714 and 716 to be slightly more "forgiving" than the 718 which has gone a bit more aggressive with the introduction of AP3 I believe.
    Cobra F9 Speedback 9° Tour Spec Atmos Black 6x
    Titleist 917F2 15.75° Aldila Rogue Black 70s
    Titleist 816H1 20° & 23° Accra FX200H M4
    Titleist 716 T-MB 4-5 (.5 long 2 flat) Modus 120x
    Titleist 716 CB 6-PW (.5 long 2 flat) Modus 120x
    Vokey SM7 50F 54S 58D S200
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 350g 34.5"
    Pro V1x

Currently - 8.7
  • Canoe PaddlerCanoe Paddler Members Posts: 187 ✭✭
    Have you ever been told by several people how great a certain movie or restaurant is, so you go in with very high expectations only to wonder what all the fuss was about. To me, that’s Mizuno irons. They’re very good irons. I was even fitted for and bought a set. I can see why people are attracted to them. I just don’t get the over the top praise. Half the guys describing the feel of a Mizuno probably need a cigarette and a nap afterwards. I think Titleist and Mizuno have very complete and comparable offerings. Pick the one that performs.
  • uwhockey14uwhockey14 Members Posts: 258 ✭✭

Have you ever been told by several people how great a certain movie or restaurant is, so you go in with very high expectations only to wonder what all the fuss was about. To me, that's Mizuno irons. They're very good irons. I was even fitted for and bought a set. I can see why people are attracted to them. I just don't get the over the top praise. Half the guys describing the feel of a Mizuno probably need a cigarette and a nap afterwards. I think Titleist and Mizuno have very complete and comparable offerings. Pick the one that performs.

LMAO!!! Post of the year, but its early..... I agree, I like mizuno's but Mizuno Super Fans remind me a lot of many Toronto Maple Leafs fans, very obnoxious but with a massive underlying inferiority complex!
    Titleist 913D2/D3 (8.5) Stiff Diamana
    Titleist 906F2 15* Aldila NV Stiff
    Cleveland LDi 21*
    Titleist 681 4-PW (Project X 5.5)
    Mizuno MP T-Series Forged Wedges (56,60)
    Cobra Greg Norman (U-Model) Putter "Boss of the moss"
    Ping Hoofer (Wisconsin Badgers)
    Driver Cover (Black Lab)
    3-Wood Cover (USA knit pom pom)
    Putter Cover (Team USA 2016 Ryder Cup)
  • GSDriverGSDriver Members Posts: 597 ✭✭
    texcrom wrote:

Titleist does have a firmer feel. Performance wise, I have found the AP2 series to be a more consistent product, as it is relatively unchanged over the last ten years.

But nothing compares to the feel of a Mizuno blade.

Except Miura, Epon, Edel?

Mizzy definitely softer than Titleist
    Epic Speeder 661
    Rogue 4 Wood Evenflow 75 Blue
    Epic Hybrids 3/4/5
    Apex Pro 6-P Recoil 110 F4
    MD Slate Forged 52
    PM Grind 56/60
    Odyssey 7S
    All grips except putter are Iomic Sticky 2.3
  • bullsfanbullsfan Members Posts: 473 ✭✭
    Ping feels better than both! Mike Drop... image/rap.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rap:' />

• ChipNRunChipNRun Members Posts: 1,220 ✭✭
    hypergolf wrote:

Please describe your difference in feel between these two irons in general.

Thanks.

Both quality club lines. I would suggest you visit the local golf expos and demo days and find out for yourself. As others have suggested, club model matters a lot.
    What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 101 gr. (As of 21 Nov 2018)
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS +
    MD.PM 60°/10  | KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr. |
    Putter: Slotline Inertial SL-583F / 34" w. SuperStroke 2.0 MidSlim grip
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperSoft
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.
  • balls_deepballs_deep Members Posts: 551 ✭✭
    edited Jan 11, 2019 6:26pm #45

Have you ever been told by several people how great a certain movie or restaurant is, so you go in with very high expectations only to wonder what all the fuss was about. To me, that's Mizuno irons. They're very good irons. I was even fitted for and bought a set. I can see why people are attracted to them. I just don't get the over the top praise. Half the guys describing the feel of a Mizuno probably need a cigarette and a nap afterwards. I think Titleist and Mizuno have very complete and comparable offerings. Pick the one that performs.

I did not get what all the fuss was about when I was fitted and tried the 900F and MP18 SC. Then I bought an older set of MP32s... Now I get it.

Brb going for a cigarette and a nap
    Cobra F9 Speedback 9° Tour Spec Atmos Black 6x
    Titleist 917F2 15.75° Aldila Rogue Black 70s
    Titleist 816H1 20° & 23° Accra FX200H M4
    Titleist 716 T-MB 4-5 (.5 long 2 flat) Modus 120x
    Titleist 716 CB 6-PW (.5 long 2 flat) Modus 120x
    Vokey SM7 50F 54S 58D S200
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 350g 34.5"
    Pro V1x

Currently - 8.7
  • Canoe PaddlerCanoe Paddler Members Posts: 187 ✭✭
    edited Jan 11, 2019 7:25pm #46
    balls_deep wrote:

I did not get what all the fuss was about when I was fitted and tried the 900F and MP18 SC. Then I bought an older set of MP32s... Now I get it.

Brb going for a cigarette and a nap

Haha! Maybe that’s my problem. I was fitted with mixed MP-18 bag. They were fine but I was expecting a little more. I went back to my AP2’s and don’t have any regrets. Haven’t tried older Mizunos.
  • dunndunn Members Posts: 6,361 ✭✭
    More meat being ball better the feel usually...681 and 718 have it whereas some earlier ones dont....could be the reason
  • stryperstryper Members Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    uwhockey14 wrote:

LMAO!!! Post of the year, but its early..... I agree, I like mizuno's but Mizuno Super Fans remind me a lot of many Toronto Maple Leafs fans, very obnoxious but with a massive underlying inferiority complex!

Say what???
    Titleist 917D2, w/UST Mamiya Elements Chrome 7F4T
    Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
    18* KZG U Iron, w/UST Proforce V2 100-S
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-5, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
    Titleist Vokey SM5 52-08 F, 56-10 S
    Callaway Sure Out 64
    Odyssey O-Works Tank #7
  • LaymanMLaymanM Cincinnati, OHMembers Posts: 2,123 ✭✭
    Mizuno are less expensive and imo better irons. What we call a WIN WIN lol
    PING G410 9* PX Evenflow Black 75 6.0
    PING G410 LST 3w PX Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    PING G410 5w PX Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    PING G410 4-PW AWT 2 0 stiff
    PING Stealth Glide 2.0 50ss/54ss/58ss
    PING Sigam G Tyne
  • Jack PearsallJack Pearsall Members Posts: 3,325 ✭✭
    edited Jan 12, 2019 9:31pm #50
    AlwAys felt “Titleist” is an arrogant name. Too ashamed of their real name? Ok.

But they make great clubs. Especially these days. Biggest poser brand for amateurs, of course.

Dedicated users.

Mizuno is terrific. Little cold as a brand. Hate that blue color they insist on hoisting in his nice face.

Great irons and wedges, JP is “meh” on their woods, it’s so up and down. Some crappy std wood and hybrid shafts over the many years. Better now. A Handful of decent drivers in 20 years! Sad. Just Crap putters. Lot of wanker fans. Real poser brand.
    Taylormade SLDR TP 430 10*
    Taylormade Aeroburner 15*
    Taylormade SLDR 19*
    Mizuno MP FliHi 21* 24*
    Mizuno MP-15 5-PW
    Epon 210KGX 52* 56*
    Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport Longneck
  • tannyhobantannyhoban Members Posts: 1,832 ✭✭
    To me the best forgings from both were the era of 680 mb and mp33. The 735s were alright, after that I dont care for the newer Titleist hosel and sole design and mizuno 9-P always look funky.

I've had equally poor results from both mfgs. offerings in multi material cavity and CB.

And I've tried many....
  • evoviiiyouevoviiiyou evoviiiyou Members Posts: 1,997 ✭✭
    edited Jan 13, 2019 1:13am #52
    This is all I need to see and I’m good

In English

Mizuno ST190 10.5/ Fuji Speeder TR 661S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno ST190TS 15/ Fuji Speeder TR 757S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno JPX FliHi 19/ Modus Tour 130S/ PURE Wrap WHT
    Taylor Made P790 4-PW Modus Tour 130S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno S18 Wedges 50&56/ Modus 120S/ PURE Wrap BLK
    SeeMore M1B/ Satin Black Conti Golf/ Super Stroke Slim CC