Thoughts about playing in wind

lchanglchang Members Posts: 567 ✭✭
I like playing in a nice breeze. And I don’t mind playing when it’s windy: shots get more “interesting” and just plain harder. Having to shape shots and to guess a bit: all good. But when you can’t actually keep your balance at address and during your swing—when you can’t actually steady yourself over a putt—it’s no longer fun.

What do you think?

Comments

• b.heltsb.helts Members Posts: 2,849 ✭✭
    If it’s windy enough to blow me around, my ball doesnt stand a chance.

Time to fly a kite or drink a pitcher.
  • fairways4lifefairways4life Members Posts: 1,553 ✭✭
    I'm actually playing right now in 25-30 mph gusts lol. If nothing else it gives me a convenient excuse for all the wild shots.
  • lchanglchang Members Posts: 567 ✭✭
    edited Jan 5, 2019 2:03pm #4
    The wobbling ball on the tee and on the putting green is also unfun. Lunging on the downswing because you feel a gust during your backswing: also unfun!
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 4,914 ✭✭
    Kinda used to it living where I do, I either play on top of a hill or at a links course so it's more often there than not. Usually enjoying it. The only time I don't is when I am trying to work on something in my swing. It is pretty difficult to do, even on the driving range when the wind is howling, you are never quite sure how it is going.
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow White T1100
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • jvincentjvincent Members Posts: 617 ✭✭
    lchang wrote:

I like playing in a nice breeze. And I don’t mind playing when it’s windy: shots get more “interesting” and just plain harder. Having to shape shots and to guess a bit: all good. But when you can’t actually keep your balance at address and during your swing—when you can’t actually steady yourself over a putt—it’s no longer fun.

What do you think?

Once the ball isn't moving on the green, have it it.

I played the Old Course in winds that started at about 18 MPH and ended up just over 40 MPH. Thankfully it was downwind when it got to 40.

Cobra F9 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra LTD set at 16* : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra 3U set at 19.5* : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Wishon 565MC 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• sdandreasdandrea Steve Members Posts: 2,397 ✭✭
    Anything over 15mph hurts my game. I'll play but I struggle to keep my mind quiet and maintain tempo.

Cobra Max 10.5*
    Cobra Baffler 5w 19*
    Cobra Baffler 5H
    PING G400 6-UW
    PING Eye 2 Gorge 56*
    Odyssey V-Line

• MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,489 ✭✭
    I don't enjoy playing in the wind necessarily, but i'm always somewhat happy if it's windy in competitive rounds because i have a mid ball flight and a pretty tight draw. My game typically holds up pretty well in windy conditions. I tend to play like dog crap in the rain though
    Cobra F8+ 9.5 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex 20h w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56 w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/s300
    Odyssey O-works Red Tank #7
  • BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Members Posts: 5,305 ✭✭
    edited Jan 5, 2019 5:44pm #9
    I'd rather play in a light drizzle on a windless day than a dry windy day. Wind assaults the senses and makes communication difficult.
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,489 ✭✭

I'd rather play in a light drizzle on a windless day than a dry windy day. Wind assaults the senses and makes communication difficult.

I lose a lot of confidence playing in rain, when my grips and hands are wet....it's like i worry the clubs gonna fly out of my hands or something. I find it gets to my senses worse than wind

I'm actually probably going to start doing some range sessions with a backup club where i just pour water onto the grip and glove, and hit balls for a while.
    Cobra F8+ 9.5 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex 20h w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56 w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/s300
    Odyssey O-works Red Tank #7
  • llewol007llewol007 4KidsGolfer ClubWRX Posts: 3,361 ClubWRX
    For me there is a give and take with a windy round. It can be in your favor and often times it is like facing a wall. Best thing is having to make the adjustments and seeing if you can pull of the shot. I like watching the tournament the pro's play on the plantation course because often times they have that wind to deal with. Of course, like anything else, they still are able to execute the shot they need. There is a point when it becomes frustrating and sure enough, I end up wanting the round to end sooner than later. Those are the times when I know I should have stayed indoors and just watched golf rather than playing.
    Cobra F8 9* Aldila Rogue 60 3.0 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 14.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.3 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 17.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.6 X Stiff
    Cobra MB/CB 4-PW DG AMT S300 Black HHx1
    Cobra Pur 52/58 S200 
    Cobra Hosel neck Putter
    Snell 
  • scooterboy59scooterboy59 Members Posts: 978 ✭✭
    As long as it does not affect the balls that are on the green. Let it blow.
  • dlygrissedlygrisse Members Posts: 13,227 ✭✭
    I learned to play in the wind. (If you’ve ever been to Wichita you understand). It can be fun if you are hitting it well. But if you are off it gets frustrating quickly. Wind with firm conditions is a fun challenge, wind in soft conditions is a slog.

Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w, HW
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS, 58
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • PulledabillPulledabill Members Posts: 339 ✭✭
    I play evenings quite a bit and my course gets some wind. I like it eveey soften as it gives me a different course to play. Fun to be challenged with different shots.
  • St JimmySt Jimmy Members Posts: 423 ✭✭
    Enough breeze to keep the mosquitoes off me is ideal.

20 mph+ is usually a deal breaker.
    Ping G400
    Ping G SFT 3W
    Mizuno HM 4 iron bent to 19 degrees
    Miura CB-57 3-PW
    Miura Y Grind 51
    Miura K Grind 56
    Scotty Golo 3
  • Loomis13Loomis13 Members Posts: 184 ✭✭
    I don't mind the wind. On the days with extreme wind, I don't really care about my score. It's just fun being creative with shots. I suppose that when I stop playing so much golf, that I will not enjoy it as much.
  • KenRobieKenRobie Members Posts: 123 ✭✭
    Our greens are not fast enough to move a ball in the wind!
  • dubbelbogeydubbelbogey Members Posts: 440 ✭✭
    I don't mind light to moderate winds, as I find the challenge pretty interesting. Being forced to hit shots and shot shapes that are different is a lot of fun.

I admit that when it gets extreme (30+mph) then I start losing interest. At that point it's unpleasant being out there at all, nevermind how it affects my golf shots.
  • RoodyRoody You ride her until she bucks you or don't ride at all Members Posts: 1,063 ✭✭
    MtlJeff wrote:

I lose a lot of confidence playing in rain, when my grips and hands are wet....it's like i worry the clubs gonna fly out of my hands or something. I find it gets to my senses worse than wind

I'm the same way. My mind is all over the place, no focus, and like you said worried about the club slipping. And after I put the umbrella down so I can take my shot, standing in the rain makes me uneasy over the shot.
    Titleist ProV1x
    Titleist 915 D2
    Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
    Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
    Odyssey Black Series #7
    Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges
  • jvincentjvincent Members Posts: 617 ✭✭
    Roody wrote:

MtlJeff wrote:

I'm the same way. My mind is all over the place, no focus, and like you said worried about the club slipping. And after I put the umbrella down so I can take my shot, standing in the rain makes me uneasy over the shot.

Do either of you use rain gloves? No chance of a club slipping using them.

Cobra F9 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra LTD set at 16* : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra 3U set at 19.5* : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Wishon 565MC 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan Members Posts: 10,009 ✭✭
    edited Jan 7, 2019 4:55pm #21
    https://www.youtube....h?v=GHCNVgxKmbc Bandon and it's all about your attitude
    Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P MCC plus 4
    Mizuno T 7 52 MP T7 56 &60
    Bobby Grace [font=comic sans ms,cursive]SNYPER [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]II [/font][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]46"[/font][/font]
    Oregon Ducks Bag
  • GSDriverGSDriver Members Posts: 608 ✭✭
    "It's not golf without wind"....makes it far more interesting and challenging. I like the challenge, played in 45mph gusts about a month ago, it was fun!
    Epic Speeder 661
    Rogue 4 Wood Evenflow 75 Blue
    Epic Hybrids 3/4/5
    Apex Pro 6-P Recoil 110 F4
    MD Slate Forged 52
    PM Grind 56/60
    Odyssey 7S
    All grips except putter are Iomic Sticky 2.3
  • Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3 Members Posts: 968 ✭✭
    Grew up by water in NY very used to it
    Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)
  • SimpSimp Members Posts: 2,908 ✭✭
    Windy golf is grueling golf. Every shot requires concentration. I don't mind playing in the wind though because I know most everyone else hates it. They've beaten themselves already. Plus, Texas is windy as it is so I might as well like the wind.
    WITB
    G400 LST 10°
    VSteel 13°
    Adams Idea Pro 20°
    Adams Idea Pro 23°
    Mizuno MP18 SC's Fli-Hi 4&5
    Cleveland RTX3 50,54 & 60
    TaylorMade Spider Mini
  • tocinotocino Members Posts: 2,274 ✭✭
    I actually like playing in adverse conditions, windy, rain, wind & rain, etc... however, if i'm not wearing the appropriate clothing than I couldn't do it. For example, I played at Tilden Park in Berkeley on Saturday with 3 of my buddies. Temp was in the high 40's low 50's. The rain was light for parts of it with an hour or so break but there was also a point where the rain was dropping pretty heavy and sideways. I was wearing a water resistant pullover, a vest, rain pants, rain gloves, some disposable hand/pocket warmers and i had my trusty umbrella with me. 2 of the other guys were dressed the same sans rain pants and gloves. One guy was wearing shorts and a hoodie. He was so miserable halfway through the round i ended up giving him my hand warmers. I definitely had a blast even though my game is kinda dependent on roll out.
  • BNGLBNGL Members Posts: 1,686 ✭✭
    I love it. Played in the dakotas when I was younger and the cold heavy wind, really knocks the ball down. I learned how to strike it solidly and manipulate the ball to maintain length and integrity of ball strike in any breeze.

I also learned to love adverse conditions l, because a lot of good players don’t like it and take themselves out of a round before it even begins. So you don’t only mentally relish the added challenge, but you practice in as well. I’m not dumb, I won’t go out with lightening but if it’s raining really gusty I’ll go hit balls and putts around.
  • augustgolfaugustgolf Golf with dignity Coastal NCMembers Posts: 3,902 ✭✭
    Working at a course as a kid, and short season...the only times I could really practice uninterrupted was when the weather was so bad everyone went home.

Got pretty good playing in wind, I thought....

until I moved to Texas, where I learned to hit a wedge "knee high to a grasshopper"

Love playing in wind...rain, not so much, but that's only because I wear glasses
    Pings from the beginning

OGA member 1415
    or is it 1514...
    I don't remember exactly
  • mds5062mds5062 Members Posts: 78 ✭✭
    Played this past weekend in strong gusts, up to 30. Hit my 4i, normally 210ish, 160 yards into it and my 9i, 150ish, 170 with it. After playing my real ball, would mess around with a second ball for knockdowns and was fun as ****. I'd prefer ideal conditions but every once and a while having a crazy wind day is fun.
  • JustsomeguyJustsomeguy Members Posts: 1,039 ✭✭
    Wind is fun. Let it fly and enjoy the craziness.
    Cobra F9 10.5* Project X Evenflow Blue 65 - CAMO!
    Titleist 915F 15* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
    Titleist 915H 20* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
    Titleist 716 AP1 4-W52, Kuro Kage Tini 65, S
    Cleveland CBX, 56*/12, Rotex Graphite Wedge Flex
    Cleveland Smart Square Blade
  • moehoganmoehogan Members Posts: 1,050 ✭✭
    Should be fun on the range this afternoon. I’ll take 60*, windy and sunny anytime in January! Perfect wind to practice holding draws into it ... sort of the anti-Hogan practice routine. LOL. Tomorrow back to reality.

• Viktoryred3Viktoryred3 Just playing the game... Members Posts: 175 ✭✭
    My home course is right on the shore of Lake Erie. The wind can get pretty crazy, but I love the challenge of hitting different types of shots. Just adds another degree of difficulty to this great game.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file